The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
A couple things to me about Krebs…

1. In the couple seasons he’s played with us, I can’t recall where I’ve been impressed with his game. I’ve appreciated that he embraced the pest role with Girgs/Okie, and he’s tried to be a fourth line banger but he’s supposed to be a skill guy that hasn’t even shown flashes of nhl skill.

2. Numbers game….as a supposedly skill guy, where exactly does he fit in going forward? He’s not big enough, or fast enough to be a banger and we can already fill out a top nine….

3. Krebs for Iaffalo straight up. This team needs to fill in pieces around our core. Iaffalo is from the area, so chances are he’ll resign.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I'd be interested in KK what would a draft day trade look like? Kk 25% and a 2nd for krebs and a 4th?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I just think if Thompson or Cozens (either of them get hurt or underperform), our center depth is going to be decimated. A guy like Danault or Cirelli or someone like that could easily play top 6 C and be fine. And if we don't have that center and Adams is only get 4C, that's also a risk. You don't know what to expect from Krebs, you just don't know. Does Adams want to take that risk again in such a big season? We'll see.

I look at the depth of downtown Vegas and feel a little jealous: Eichel/Hertl/Wild Bill/Roy

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I get that.

I am not on the "You HAVE to trade Krebs" train. But, I am not optimistic that he will develop into a solid 3C for this team under Ruff, either.

Personally, I think he was rushed to the NHL and should have spent more time in the AHL. But, what is done is done.

I think what was the worst with Krebs is they shoved him into the 4C role and got almost no offensive zone time.

When every other player was allowed to skip the zone early and turn the puck over with no consequences, he had to sit in the corner and eat his d-zone spinach with the two old guys on the team.

I have no idea if he has any offensive upside at all because he barely saw the offensive zone the last two years.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I’m curious about this as well. But I also question the wisdom of relying on him as a key piece at center in a make or break playoff year. They're not mutually exclusive thoughts.

I'll worry about that after the draft, "Free Agent Frenzy", and training camp.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Is Rino on the same level as Rino from here? Way to know how many of his goals were net front tips this year? Florida doesn't seem to use him that way very much on PP from what I have noticed anyway. His shot has improved exponentially
Reinhart is still almost always in front of the net screening the goalie even on Florida PP's

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I think what was the worst with Krebs is they shoved him into the 4C role and got almost no offensive zone time.

When every other player was allowed to skip the zone early and turn the puck over with no consequences, he had to sit in the corner and eat his d-zone spinach with the two old guys on the team.

I have no idea if he has any offensive upside at all because he barely saw the offensive zone the last two years.

He has showed flashes of his skill, but it’s few and far between. Either because his wingers were slow as hell, or he hesitated to try to make a play out of a fear that he won’t see the ice again if it was a turnover.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'll worry about that after the draft, "Free Agent Frenzy", and training camp.
I’m not following this.

My comment is based on the hypothetical scenario where they commit to Krebs as the 3C. It’s an intriguing idea that would bear watching. But not something I think would be the best idea in a make or break year.

I’m not assuming this will happen. I’m just giving my thoughts on it if does. What happens during the events you listed isn’t germane to the thought experiment.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I’m not following this.

My comment is based on the hypothetical scenario where they commit to Krebs as the 3C. It’s an intriguing idea that would bear watching. But not something I think would be the best idea in a make or break year.

I’m not assuming this will happen. I’m just giving my thoughts on it if does. What happens during the events you listed isn’t germane to the thought experiment.
I don't need to do any thought experiments to know what will happen if Krebs and Laughton are the 3rd and 4th line centers. An uphill battle all season just to look like an NHL team (again). Luckily, Adams still has time to do something else.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Capture.PNG

Playing with Benson and Peterka were the second most minutes he had last season behind Girgensons and Okposo. It is easy to forget given that Robinson and Girgensons/Okposo were #3 & 4.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    156.2 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

This is probably the one thing that came out last night that concerns me.

Adams one strength is developing bullshit narratives on why they aren't spending on the team. Guess 2024's just dropped. "Disciplined' adds.
All you have to do is crunch the numbers to see that he's already forced into bridge contracts for several of them because there isn't enough cap space to give long term contracts to all of them. Cap space is already an issue for this team, so he's right -- he needs to be disciplined.

I'm not reading anything into that statement since it's 100% true, and pretty obvious to me.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I’m not following this.

It was in response to what sounded like to me you were assuming that was what they were going to do. I'm just going to wait and see, as you clarified you did as well.

Reactions: joshjull

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
View attachment 882161

Playing with Benson and Peterka were the second most minutes he had last season behind Girgensons and Okposo. It is easy to forget given that Robinson and Girgensons/Okposo were #3 & 4.
Jesus, did Victor absolutely sink every line he played on? No wonder Adams couldn't trade him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Weird that Skinner-Krebs-Benson posted amazing stats, yet Skinner-Krebs-Quinn had the second worst xG on the whole team. Same with Skinner-Krebs-Tuch, they sucked. I'm not sure these stats tell much of a story.

Skinner really stinks
The challenge is that those lines didn't have a lot of minutes. So, there is a lot of small sample size going on.

Capture.PNG

Filtering for 60 minutes+ gives you data that is a little more solid.

It sure looks like Krebs works better with Robinson than Girgensons...

Reactions: Chainshot

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The challenge is that those lines didn't have a lot of minutes. So, there is a lot of small sample size going on.

View attachment 882179

Filtering for 60 minutes+ gives you data that is a little more solid.

It sure looks like Krebs works better with Robinson than Girgensons...
...and he played better with Girgensons than he did Okposo, going by these numbers.

A lot of these stats don't line up with my opinions on how some of these lines performed, so I'm taking them with a grain of salt. For instance, I thought JJP - Tage - Tuch looked good, but this seems to indicate that they were pretty terrible at both ends of the rink.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
...and he played better with Girgensons than he did Okposo, going by these numbers.

A lot of these stats don't line up with my opinions on how some of these lines performed, so I'm taking them with a grain of salt. For instance, I thought JJP - Tage - Tuch looked good, but this seems to indicate that they were pretty terrible at both ends of the rink.
xGF per 60.PNG

xGA per 60.PNG

They were middle of the pack offensively and really bad defensively. And it wouldn't shock me if the eye ball test said something different. They do have the shooting talent to outpace xG.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Weird that Skinner-Krebs-Benson posted amazing stats, yet Skinner-Krebs-Quinn had the second worst xG on the whole team. Same with Skinner-Krebs-Tuch, they sucked. I'm not sure these stats tell much of a story.

Skinner really stinks
Look at the sample sizes. They're pretty useless for most of those combos. Plus no info on usage either.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Look at the sample sizes. They're pretty useless for most of those combos. Plus no info on usage either.
He filtered out for 60+ minutes and they still seem pretty useless. So I'm not sure it's the sample size. I'm not sure these stats are helpful in the slightest, without a lot of other information to go with them.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
All you have to do is crunch the numbers to see that he's already forced into bridge contracts for several of them because there isn't enough cap space to give long term contracts to all of them. Cap space is already an issue for this team, so he's right -- he needs to be disciplined.

I'm not reading anything into that statement since it's 100% true, and pretty obvious to me.

It isn't true though. You can be as aggressive as you want, it just forces you into hard decisions next year.

A few simple things they can do now eases it a bit. Keep Levi in Rochester the whole year and get a veteran backup forces him to sign a cheap contract next summer. Play hardball if you have to.

You likely have to decide between Byram and Samuelsson. If Clifton is still a bottom pair d-man, buyout his last year. Be willing to buyout Skinner and know his 'bad' cap year will be offset by the cap going up.

If you get really aggressive you might have to decide between Tuch long term or one of Quinn and Peterka. And that is fine.

Good teams have this problem. The idea that we can only do half measures to fix our problems this summer after 13 years out of the playoffs is pure, unadulterated horseshit

Win now. You have a literal army of prospects coming in the pipe, several of which should be ready this year or next. This isn't time to do disciplined moves, it's time for Adams to show he can be a GM and not peddle excuses before the offseason even begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad