The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Situationally, that tells me he's a smidge below average defensively on a team that was pretty bad in xG% per a place like Money Puck. I don't think that's a bad thing. Maybe don't have him PK (he was 6th for the Blues among forwards in PK TOI last year).
Nothing against Schenn, I just had a bad feeling about the St. Louis vets the last time we got them. :laugh:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Joshua has dozens of teams interested (not surprisingly). I don't expect him to be in Buffalo and I wouldn't want to overpay for the risk. We need to find someone like that, probably Ventura's department should help with this.

Reactions: jc17

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm still warm to the idea of someone like Brayden Schenn from the Blues. He has some tread on the tire, plays a reliable top 6 productivity and could be a part-time C if they need to flex around Thompson or Cozens being out. And his NTC doesn't kick in until next July 1st, only features 15 teams. I wonder if someone like Rosen could be of interest to the Blues as part of that sort of package? Or say Kulich straight up?

The age + the drop last year concerns me. And the drop was despite a big uptick in o-zone starts. I'm curious what someone who watches the blues think about last year. Was he banged up alot? He has an obvious pedigree, but would hate to buy low just as he's descending into late stage Okposo.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
One for one, it might be an interesting deal. Buffalo pays less per year, it shortens the term and gives them a younger player. Not sure about Laine’s mental health though. Much depends on how he is doing.
I'm not sure about cost, they'll probably want some value back, especially if Skinner goes to Columbus. For all of Laine's problems, he was a hell of a productive player on a bad team that didn't even have a top 6 C.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm not sure about cost, they'll probably want some value back, especially if Skinner goes to Columbus. For all of Laine's problems, he was a hell of a productive player on a bad team that didn't even have a top 6 C.

Part of it was them trying to make him into a center too. Waddell dealt Skinner away in Carolina, not sure what he thinks there since the HC position is still open to speculation.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Part of it was them trying to make him into a center too. Waddell dealt Skinner away in Carolina, not sure what he thinks there since the HC position is still open to speculation.
Well, we don't know what Waddell thinks of Skinner and what their relationship is. As I understand it, he gave Skinner up at the request of the RBA.

This could also be some kind of three-way deal where Jeff would go to a place other than Columbus.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Well, we don't know what Waddell thinks of Skinner and what their relationship is. As I understand it, he gave Skinner up at the request of the RBA.

This could also be some kind of three-way deal where Jeff would go to a place other than Columbus.
Skinner > TML
Marner > CLB
Laine > BUF

:sarcasm:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Laine kind of reminds me of Nishushkin in Colorado.

Lots of risk but also lots of reward if it pans out.

Good teams hit home runs with these types of players

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
KA should go after Sean Monahan in UFA. They will desperately need a C that can play up the line-up, and I just don't see that player being added in a trade unless Buffalo actually loses the deal. He shouldn't command a cap-anchor type of contract but will fit in as a relatively affordable mid-six C...around 4x4-5 mil.

Reactions: Jacob582

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
KA should go after Sean Monahan in UFA. They will desperately need a C that can play up the line-up, and I just don't see that player being added in a trade unless Buffalo actually loses the deal. He shouldn't command a cap-anchor type of contract but will fit in as a relatively affordable mid-six C...around 4x4-5 mil.
He probably wants 8m. Can't see Buffalo signing anyone like that

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
How much appetite for risk would people have if Marchessault gets all the way to UFA? Some smoke that Vegas and his agent aren't getting it done. He's coming off career highs in goals and is flat out old, but the guy has Cup pedigree and works his bag off.

Hrs older than Skinner. Too much risk in the downfall that will occur
I'm still warm to the idea of someone like Brayden Schenn from the Blues. He has some tread on the tire, plays a reliable top 6 productivity and could be a part-time C if they need to flex around Thompson or Cozens being out. And his NTC doesn't kick in until next July 1st, only features 15 teams. I wonder if someone like Rosen could be of interest to the Blues as part of that sort of package? Or say Kulich straight up?
Schein m as led to much.

They are targeting a $4M or less player
Laine kind of reminds me of Nishushkin in Colorado.

Lots of risk but also lots of reward if it pans out.

Good teams hit home runs with these types of players
Except Lainf makes as lot. Hoe is he differrnt than Skinner in reference to Ruff?

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Eh I would be too worried March would see it as a retirement tour. Big money, probably not his first choice in destinations and seemingly crappy team and all the while you shit away all your cap opportunities. Prefer a younger version with piss and vinegar.
I mean Marchessault had 42 goals last year and has 100 over the last three seasons. And he still has piss and vinegar. Don't think he's at retirement tour status yet. Sure we'd all prefer a younger 35 goal guy with energy but they're near impossible to find and get 8 years $9M.

I also don't know think we're going to be crappy and don't think that's the assumption around the league (they don't carry the drought like we do). We're a middle of the pack team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I mean Marchessault had 42 goals last year and has 100 over the last three seasons. And he still has piss and vinegar. Don't think he's at retirement tour status yet. Sure we'd all prefer a younger 35 goal guy with energy but they're near impossible to find and get 8 years $9M.

I also don't know think we're going to be crappy and don't think that's the assumption around the league (they don't carry the drought like we do). We're a middle of the pack team.

There is rage and hatred in how Marchessault plays the game. He's ornery, he performs in the playoffs. We see so many people obsessed over perfect instead of done.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Hrs older than Skinner. Too much risk in the downfall that will occur

Schein m as led to much.

They are targeting a $4M or less player

Except Lainf makes as lot. Hoe is he differrnt than Skinner in reference to Ruff?
He makes less than Skinner and has less years left on his contract.

Your points work against you.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He makes less than Skinner and has less years left on his contract.

Your points work against you.
2 yrs older st 34 yrs old start the season. High risk of collapse. Nit a eise investment

When you factor buyout/ retention its using the same cap space

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Idk man. That didn't really address anything I said except that we'll be a middle of the road team instead of crappy team. Tomato tomato.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad