The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
2 yrs older st 34 yrs old start the season. High risk of collapse. Nit a eise investment

When you factor buyout/ retention its using the same cap space
Laine is 26. Jeff Skinner is 32. Maybe stop using your phone to post.

You arent even close.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Laine kind of reminds me of Nishushkin in Colorado.

Lots of risk but also lots of reward if it pans out.

Good teams hit home runs with these types of players
I think there are probably a few different situations. I don't know exactly what's going on with Val, but I think he had some sleep issues.

Laine, on the other hand, had a rough time in Columbus. The guy lost his dad, he had some injuries, but he was still good when he was healthy. The guy just needs a change of scenery, and I wouldn't mind seeing him in Buffalo if they move on from Skinner.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Which of our players do you think are good sell high candidates?
I know it won't happen but I'd be willing to trade Byram and Peterka for the right players (Andersson, JEE, Cirelli, W Karlsson)

Reactions: sabresEH

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I know it won't happen but I'd be willing to trade Byram and Peterka for the right players (Andersson, JEE, Cirelli, W Karlsson)
Skinner, Jokiharju and Krebs. I think Peterka is here to stay, Lindy sees him as Bratt. I'm more inclined to trade picks and prospects than good players on the roster.

Reactions: Jacob582

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Skinner, Jokiharju and Krebs. I think Peterka is here to stay, Lindy sees him as Bratt. I'm more inclined to trade picks and prospects than good players on the roster.
I think Jokiharju and Krebs are more in the "recover whatever you can zone" and could act as throw ins.
At best I see Krebs+pick land someone like Sturm and Jokiharju could be a placeholder if we trade for a rhd.
Skinner with his nmc is probably just a buyout option.
Would be nice to sell before the dip. Kulich might be a good one for that?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think Jokiharju and Krebs are more in the "recover whatever you can zone" and could act as throw ins.
At best I see Krebs+pick land someone like Sturm and Jokiharju could be a placeholder if we trade for a rhd.

It's too bad Kulich wasn't playing in Juniors the last 2 years. Then he could of been popping off 2 pts a game and people wouldn't be down on him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah, I realize we probably won't get much for Krebs or Jokiharju. I'm not against keeping Krebs. Jokiharju seems even more odd here after Lindy said he sees Samuelsson or Power partnering Dahlin on the top pair. We could have four lefties in the top four. Adams just acquired Byram and isn't sure if he'll buy him now unless Lindy says he doesn't see him in the lineup.

Picks and prospects must be available for right deal.

It's unclear what Adams is looking at to fill the 3C hole. A guy like JEE would be very hard to get. Wild Bill is loved in Vegas, but they could have cap issues. Whether Tampa will want to trade Cirelli within the division or even trade him at all is unclear.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Joker has good value. A 24yr old RHD who can skate and play a lot of minutes will always have value.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
It's too bad Kulich wasn't playing in Juniors the last 2 years. Then he could of been popping off 2 pts a game and people wouldn't be down on him.
I wouldn't say I'm "down" on Kulich, but I was severely disappointed in his defensive game in the playoffs. He just doesn't look ready.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I wouldn't say I'm "down" on Kulich, but I was severely disappointed in his defensive game in the playoffs. He just doesn't look ready.

Biggest problem was they had him at Center. It was fine for his development during regular season but come playoffs that should take a back seat. I don't know how many times they lost a faceoff in defensive zone and it was put in the net from the point. At least 4 times.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

He did just get nominated for the AHL All Prospects Team for the second year in a row.

I believe the Amerks/Sabres wanted him to work on other parts of his game which meant he scored less but hopefully learned some more important traits that will help him be a better NHL'er.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Cape Breton had his rights, he would have scored 2 GOALS per game in the Q lol.

I'm very optimistic for the eventual results of him stacking these 2-3 pro development seasons with positive summers in between. Finally a proper path for one of our top prospects. He'll have a strong foundation to fall back in the rare times he's not getting to his shot.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
This is what you see more often than not when you drill down on a slow cooked player. Looks ready on paper for about 2 years now but when he's up in the bigs, clearly is not making the same impact with serious holes in his game.

All good. We'll talk about trading him but the team won't because it might be 24 or 25 but he'll mature eventually and be a very good NHL player while staying more valuable to the Sabres than the open market.

Reactions: debaser66

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Joker has good value. A 24yr old RHD who can skate and play a lot of minutes will always have value.
Was thinking the same thing. He was also +14 on the terribad Sabres last year, the highest on the team. I know +/- is a meh stat but it doesn't mean nothing. Joki has good value. Pretending he is a throw in akin to Krebs right now is crazy.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

We will see. I don't know if teams see him as a top 4 guy. Plus a lot of the teams with RHD needs might look to UFA before paying in trade. I think a 2nd or a bottom six forward that is a match for our needs would be a decent return at this point.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The question is……. will there be a spot to earn?

If Adams fills out the roster with the pieces that have been discussed. There may not be a spot in the starting 12 for Kulich, Savoie, etc.
And that is the problem. You have room for 12 forwards. I would never keep a young kid in stands for an extended period but Buffalo is just too cushy. There isn't one player who thinks there is no way I can sit. Or have my ice time reduced. The Sabres have talked about competition in camp for years and Benson feels like the only guy who ever sort of won a spot. And that was more a spending Quinn issue.

I mean we need to add a 3C and some more physical guys, maybe there's a spot for Kulich or Savoie, maybe not.

Trade a few guys too. A degree of turmoil is okay, Being worried about being traded is good.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
He did just get nominated for the AHL All Prospects Team for the second year in a row.
We have our answer

based on the season we just had, it's the prospects that are at their highest value, not any roster players. I'd really be ok moving one of savoie and kulich. Not even from the perspective of getting rid of one because they're overvalued, but simply using the value they have to get what we need.

Their value isn't going up any higher if they light up in the ahl, but it could go down if they don't. Value only goes up if they make the NHL roster and are impactful, which at that point we don't move them. I'm just not eager to hope that's the case

Reactions: DJN21 and HaNotsri

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad