The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
People always think I thought Sam was a bad player.. I never did. He is a very talented player but his faults with us are what I laid out imo. The core of that team was just toxic ...not as so far as behavior .. but just everything about the team overall. Jack and Sam needed to go.
The core was not toxic, it is what happens if you force bad character traits with entitlement, bad coaching & roster construction.
And I would just single out Eichel, he has not the best traits to be a leader he was the wrong choice as captain.
When he is just a secondary actor he is fine but he is just a weak personality and not mentally strong enough.
I would say Reinhart did always what was asked of him and never made a fuzz or trade request like Mr Entitled.
I think if the same group had competent Management & coaching this group could have easily made the playoffs.

Reactions: Beerz

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Just reading through the last several pages of this thread. I’m surprised more people aren’t excited to see Power play under a coach that actually will have a structured system. For as fun as the Sabres could be at times under Granato, part of that fun came at a big price. That being way too much loosey-goosey type of play.
22-23 loosey-goosey and fun
23-24 loosey-goosey and boring
And yes Power is probably gonna take off under Ruff, a lot of players will have
to show different sides.

Also Adams has to prove he has actually a plan to put a competitive team on the ice & sign/trade the necessary vets.
No playoffs should mean an automatic firing.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
There is a recurring discussion around Crouse/Peterka and I see both sides of the argument. For this team right now, I agree with you. Crouse adds playoff style with 80% the production still and JJ will likely be more expensive starting next year.

I understand that Utah isn't looking to move Crouse, but I don't think it's impossible if we're willing to overpay.

I did exactly that in a franchise mode Armchair GM that I'm too shy to share, but maybe tonight I'll post it if I feel like getting flamed 😅

You are comparing the production of a 26 year old with 500 games played to a 22 year old with about 160 played. At 22 Crouse had 50% of Peterka’s production. The best part of Peterka’s career is ahead of him. Crouse is already living in his. And it won’t be close at all when Peterka is 26.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I like Crouse, but I would rather Adams find the next Crouuse or Marchment for a lot less than pay a huge price for Lawson. Like Bill Zito is doing in Florida. I don't think he's that unique.

1-2 years ago, when Nashville didn't need Tolvanen, I was beating the drum that this guy could be had for next to nothing. Now he's averaging as many points as Crouse and playing as physical game.

Could Dakota Joshua be the next Crouse or Stefan Noesen or some other guy like that. There's always that gem out there if you look hard enough.

Reactions: Jacob582

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He still should not be gifted that spot on potential alone, I would rather have some vet signed on a shorter deal.
You cannot put the bet on younger players rising to the occasion and squander another season.
No argument from me. That's why every plan I have has him at 4C to start the year.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The core was not toxic, it is what happens if you force bad character traits with entitlement, bad coaching & roster construction.
And I would just single out Eichel, he has not the best traits to be a leader he was the wrong choice as captain.
When he is just a secondary actor he is fine but he is just a weak personality and not mentally strong enough.
I would say Reinhart did always what was asked of him and never made a fuzz or trade request like Mr Entitled.
I think if the same group had competent Management & coaching this group could have easily made the playoffs.

I don't think Sam had a toxic personality .. Jack may have idk .. definitely some signs that pointed to it but the toxicity was from the losing... these guys didn't seem to care.

Reactions: debaser66

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
If you want to take a swing with upside, and probably serviceable in bottom 6, maybe podkolzin.

Haven't watched him in a while but always thought the ability was there, and think he had decent compete regardless

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Not that it means too much, but Marty and Duffer were talking up Iafalo and Konecny this morning on Sabres Live.

Pronman is on now talking about the draft.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Not that it means too much, but Marty and Duffer were talking up Iafalo and Konecny this morning on Sabres Live.
Duffer included them in his list yesterday.

21312.png

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't think Sam had a toxic personality .. Jack may have idk .. definitely some signs that pointed to it but the toxicity was from the losing... these guys didn't seem to care.
Did you miss the amount of management/coaching decisions that showed the top brass in the organization didn't care about losing? The players, especially Jack and Sam, were carrying the team to wins as best as they could without a coach (Bylsma) that wanted to engage his own players, to the point where the GM has to step in and punish the players for things, while the organization did nothing to support them with anything that resembled a chance to try and build a winning roster. They weren't given a chance to win.

After 2+ years of seeing that writing on the wall, and you have a chance to bring in Veteran Leadership at the coaching position and management, the team hires a first time GM, and First time NHL Coach. It would be very tough to show you care, when your development, and sense of winning is being undercut by management/coaching. Then they trade away a guy in ROR, that had a history of doing whatever it takes to win, and play winning hockey, in favor of a coach that was teaching losing habits and making the organization a pit of despair to come to the rink for, ONLY to then fire him the next season.

Jack and Sam were toxic BECAUSE the Sabres organization MADE them toxic or show toxic "actions". They bred that sort of culture on the team. Unsurprisingly, the guys that showed "negative" responses to losing, turned out to be successful where they went next. While the players kept here, because "they wanted to be here" stayed terrible.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Iafallo seems like a low risk no brainer at this point with him being a local kid.
If Adams is looking for a mid-six forward, probably yes. But if he's looking for a top 6 forward, he doesn't seem like a good fit. I would prefer Buchnevich. Although even for a mid-six forward I wanted to get a more physical player than Iaffalo.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Iafallo seems like a low risk no brainer at this point with him being a local kid.
I like it a lot...but you just gotta wonder what the trade cost is. WPG never trades anyone unless they're robbing them. I'm fine being robbed, to a point.

How is Iafallo 30 years old already??

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What about a guy like Vatrano? Had a good season on a bad team, 60 points (37+23), plays a physical game, one year left before UFA, there is no trade protection (which is important for us),

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I just saw that Dakota Joshua is UFA...What's everyone's thoughts on him ? I haven't really watched him but heard he's physical
..Maybe can still have an offensive upside? Would Adams overpay to get him ?

Prior to the playoffs, he was near the top of my list. I think he's priced himself up with his playoffs and is likely to be in the realm of Joel Ward/Sean Bergenheim type deals - a bit too rich and not good value later in the deal.

Now if there was reason to think the pro scouting folks could find a player or two like this out of the AHL like Boston did with AJ Greer and Vancouver did with Joshua... well, sure. Go that route. But they don't and haven't and who knows if they ever will. So they are stuck trying to play catchup since they don't even have a guy like this in the AHL unless Murray gets a step faster and a couple of degrees further into 'roid rage.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Prior to the playoffs, he was near the top of my list. I think he's priced himself up with his playoffs and is likely to be in the realm of Joel Ward/Sean Bergenheim type deals - a bit too rich and not good value later in the deal.

Now if there was reason to think the pro scouting folks could find a player or two like this out of the AHL like Boston did with AJ Greer and Vancouver did with Joshua... well, sure. Go that route. But they don't and haven't and who knows if they ever will. So they are stuck trying to play catchup since they don't even have a guy like this in the AHL unless Murray gets a step faster and a couple of degrees further into 'roid rage.

I hope Ventura and the whole staff are watching Moneyball on a regular basis.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I hope Ventura and the whole staff are watching Moneyball on a regular basis.

I think they are but I don't think they have put value in this sort of player. I also tend to think too much of the staff and perhaps the owners are too "turn the other cheek" and they don't seek out on-ice violence. Not that we haven't seen this problem with them before and the measures taken by previous regimes usually involved a singular or perhaps a duo of players... which is just not enough.

Reactions: HOOats

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Did you miss the amount of management/coaching decisions that showed the top brass in the organization didn't care about losing? The players, especially Jack and Sam, were carrying the team to wins as best as they could without a coach (Bylsma) that wanted to engage his own players, to the point where the GM has to step in and punish the players for things, while the organization did nothing to support them with anything that resembled a chance to try and build a winning roster. They weren't given a chance to win.

After 2+ years of seeing that writing on the wall, and you have a chance to bring in Veteran Leadership at the coaching position and management, the team hires a first time GM, and First time NHL Coach. It would be very tough to show you care, when your development, and sense of winning is being undercut by management/coaching. Then they trade away a guy in ROR, that had a history of doing whatever it takes to win, and play winning hockey, in favor of a coach that was teaching losing habits and making the organization a pit of despair to come to the rink for, ONLY to then fire him the next season.

Jack and Sam were toxic BECAUSE the Sabres organization MADE them toxic or show toxic "actions". They bred that sort of culture on the team. Unsurprisingly, the guys that showed "negative" responses to losing, turned out to be successful where they went next. While the players kept here, because "they wanted to be here" stayed terrible.

Not that I disagree with you ... but I think it's both.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Maybe Sherwood could be that guy, he's as physical as Joshua, he had a good season. There are a few guys like that in Vegas (Cotter and Kolesar).

Reactions: Beauty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad