The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Bored posters trolling I assume. Fans have no patience, anyone who isn't incredible needs to be moved now.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You're not going to improve the team trading Owen Power, unless like Draisaitl is coming with an extension.

This reminds me of 2 years ago before Dahlin had come out of the Krueger-effect and some twitter folks wanted to trade for him Connor McMichael to 'improve the team'.

We can make this team a playoff team without going straight to moving our top assets. As I told someone else I debated about this 'when Murray went for ROR in 2015, he didn't lead with trying to trade Reinhart for him.'

"Anyone should be available to improve the team" is just political bull-horning. Good teams identify the core and improve around it. Power is part of the core.

Everyone uses the Dahlin comparison. There is no comparison. Dahlin came in as an 18 yr old... he didn't have a "Dahlin" to play behind.. he was the Dahlin. Even thru his struggles his talent shined thru on both sides of ice... had a hunger to improve and learn. He engaged into the play since the moment he got into league. I've never questioned Dahlins ability and have never wanted to trade him.

You can build around your core.. you can also tweak your core and replace your core with other core pieces.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Everyone uses the Dahlin comparison. There is no comparison. Dahlin came in as an 18 yr old... he didn't have a "Dahlin" to play behind.. he was the Dahlin. Even thru his struggles his talent shined thru on both sides of ice... had a hunger to improve and learn. He engaged into the play since the moment he got into league. I've never questioned Dahlins ability and have never wanted to trade him.

You can build around your core.. you can also tweak your core and replace your core with other core pieces.
Owen Power is 21.5 and is already putting up some strong numbers.

1718127058193.png

I'm sorry, you don't trade this. I don't care how much people rage about how he plays in front of his own net.

We actually agree that there's only 2 core guys (untouchables) presently, we just disagree on one. You say it's Dahlin-6K (crazy; he had 4 good months and Levi exists), and I say it's Dahlin-Power.

Reactions: Dingo44

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Well, there's really no point in trading Power, only in some blockbuster deal that naturally won't happen. I would understand if we didn't have some other assets, but we have a ton of them. Trade 1st, 2nd, any prospect in the right deal, Krebs, Jokiharju. We don't need much, find a 3C (who can even be obtained for free and it can work), find a few good fourth liners and a top 4 RD to play with the same Power or Byram.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Combine over and still barely a single rumor out there. The media needs to get their heads out of their asses :mad:

I found some pretty interesting stuff, but not exactly rumors:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Utah are buyers. Not selling their best players but I would take Keller, Schmaltz or Crouse.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The 2020-21 opening night roster. Adams was gifted a ton of talent and didn't add the right pieces to round it out into a real team. They finished dead last. If you want to argue that it was all Kreugers fault, then why hasn't Adams been able to add the right pieces to round it out into a real team in any of the past 3 seasons either?

We had 4 forwards who went on to be good or even great elsewhere, 4 who were borderline NHLers and the rest are still here.

The defense had 2 guys who are still here and 4 guys who have gone on to be good or even great elsehwere.

Ullmark went on to be great elsewhere and Hutton went blind.
View attachment 881616

Navigated it well? He navigated it to last place. And 0 playoff appearances in each of the next 3 seasons.

The 2020 offseason should have been a clear sign that Adams was going to be a problem.

The Sabres had a few key needs:

-Scoring depth. They needed to fill out under their top line, Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart.
- Top 4 d-man
- Two way center.
- Tandem goalie to play with Ullmark because Hutton was terrible.

They added Staal, Hall, and Eakin. The Hall deal ate up all their cap space they had to imrprove the team. Combine that with Eichel basically being limited and then out the whole season. We had one good line of offense that carried us to .500 the previous year. When Eichel went down, the team realize the coach was full of shit and everyone packed up.

Adams rarely gets any blame there, but in the inability to idenitify the team needs, at a basic level, and address it by Adams has been a core competency issue since he's been the GM.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I like Peterka, but I’d rather have Crouse and Quinn over Peterka and Quinn. And if Utah moves him, they’ll want an NHL guy back. The prospects aren’t gonna cut it.
The problem is we are losing our young top 6 winger. I like Crouse, but he is even less productive than Peterka, although he will add physical presence. Probably not the easiest trade target, but we can find someone else to fill that role and not give up Peterka.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I could see Jokiharju as someone Utah HC could use. I don’t see them giving up Crouse though.
Speaking of Arizona/Utah, the ATW guys are saying they're hearing Buffalo is interested in UFA-to-be Liam O'Brien. Probably a Girgs replacement, plus fighting ability? I've literally never noticed him on the ice, but I don't tend to watch Arizona games unless they're playing buffalo the past few seasons.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
There's some tilting here. The only guys that went and did great were eichel, reino and Montour. You're including VO as still here? So much talent but he couldn't "round out" the roster? C'mon man.

That team underperformed for a lot of reasons and some of them were the dynamic, horrid coaching, and players giving up or offering retirement play. You don't really believe that this historic roster was a couple of pieces away from the playoffs, do you? Please say no.
You forgot Ullmark.

So that's 4 players who have had at least 1 star season (or playoff run) since leaving Buffalo.

4 solid depth players who were asked to play too high up the lineup that he inherited in Miller, McCabe, Risto and Lazar. All of them have been solid on their new teams in lower roles than they played in Buffalo.

5 guys that Adams brought in who sucked big time in Reider, Sheahan, Eakin, Staal and Hall.

And 1 slug in Hutton that he inherited.

+ all of the other players that are still here.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Speaking of Arizona/Utah, the ATW guys are saying they're hearing Buffalo is interested in UFA-to-be Liam O'Brien. Probably a Girgs replacement, plus fighting ability? I've literally never noticed him on the ice, but I don't tend to watch Arizona games unless they're playing buffalo the past few seasons.
Jesus. Do you know how hard it is to be a -6% relative corsi on the 2nd worst corsi team in the league. I know it's an over simplified stat but my goodness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad