The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Andersson has 2 years of team control.
Mangiapane I could see definitely leaving .. I doubt he would see a place for him in top 6 with all our wingers and are you going to want to give a raise from 5.8 million on a bottom 6 winger.
If he's a good third liner for us, why not. I'm not afraid of his contract, there's one year left, and then we can decide if it makes sense to re-sign him. While they could also retain to 1-2 million if needed, but I don't think we'll hit the cap this season.
In just about every way, yes.
Maybe, I thought he liked to play on PP and go on the attack.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
When Adams was hired, the team was shit. Eichel had asked out (then got hurt), Marcus Johansson was the 2C, Mitts and Tage weren’t established NHL players yet, they had nothing on D.

His first signing period he swapped Johansson for Staal (an upgrade seeing Staal just had a 30 goal season, so he made a 2C upgrade [it failed, but you can see the logic]) upgraded the 3C in theory (Eakins, but he fell off hard), added Hall. I can’t blame him for adding established NHL guys for basically free, but they all sucked.

I remember when the Sabres fanbase was excited on what the team did. None of us saw that team shitting the bed.
Not true, that season was lost befire it started based on goaltending. It was so weird since they just missed the playoffs based on goaltending (look att stats with Ullmark vs Hutton) and then they go and sign Hall but do nothing about goaltending.
I didn't expect them to be the worst team in the league but it was pretty obvious that we wouldn't make the playoffs with Hutton.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Low risk high reward or no point in even trying?

Seems like an interesting but inconsistent guy, though he definitely has tools and can be good defensively. Might not be the easiest to play in the RBA system or the guy had a hidden injury last season.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/carol...eason-i-want-to-take-a-step-up-from-last-year

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/carol...ri-kotkaniemi-fallen-out-of-favor-in-carolina

I like the player, and what I assume would be a very reasonable cost. That contract though...

Reactions: TehDoak

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I like the player, and what I assume would be a very reasonable cost. That contract though...
Well the upside of this contract is that it's easy to buyout if it doesn't work out. On the other hand, if it does work out, we'll have a player already signed with a good contract. Another upside is that he probably won't cost us anything given this contract and his last season. I'd also check to see if Drury is available. Canes are stuck at C, but they could use RD since Pesce and Chatfield are UFAs. And we have Jokiharju.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I think your best shot is you tell him either we buy you out and you get 2/3rds of what you're owed or you waive and you get every dollar and said crappy team will maybe retain and move you out to a contender.

Maybe he says that he will take the 2/3rds and try and get 10 million total from some other team. Who knows, it's hard to say. I'd like to see it done but I would be shocked.

Reactions: Irie

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think your best shot is you tell him either we buy you out and you get 2/3rds of what you're owed or you waive and you get every dollar and said crappy team will maybe retain and move you out to a contender.

Maybe he says that he will take the 2/3rds and try and get 10 million total from some other team. Who knows, it's hard to say. I'd like to see it done but I would be shocked.
I would suspect he would rather have control over where he lands than take a trade to a bad team that is about as far away from home as you can get.

Plus, he may believe that there is no way Pegula would approve a buyout and would call their bluff on that part.

:dunno:

Reactions: Jacob582

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I would suspect he would rather have control over where he lands than take a trade to a bad team that is about as far away from home as you can get.

Plus, he may believe that there is no way Pegula would approve a buyout and would call their bluff on that part.

:dunno:
Yeah this is me assuming Pegula would actually be willing to buy him out. Which feels very unlikely

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah this is me assuming Pegula would actually be willing to buy him out. Which feels very unlikely
It would be fascinating to me to know what the conversations were like both within the Sabres FO if they feel like they have to move Skinner this offseason and then what the trade talks were like.

Then you have to debate a buyout vs trades if all the trades involve giving up assets to get another team to take Skinner.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Different players. But Luke had issues in his end as well while being better in the transition and offensive zone, in the limited games I watched.

It’s not a guarantee Power will catch on quickly or at all. He might, and for the Sabres sake, I hope he does, but from what I’ve seen of Power from his college years and on, gives me pause to be so confident in him learning as much as he needs to at the NHL level. Sure as hell don’t have confidence in the organization to be able to coach him up.
Can we think about this.

From what you saw you have pause to think he can learn what he needs to be at the NHL level.

What the rest of the hockey world saw.

The #1 overall pick. Consensus top 5 pick. Third in Calder voting. All rookie team.

But you think you’re the defense whisperer that can see through all that. Can you understand where that comes across a little bizarre?

Reactions: Dingo44

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
When the team buys Skinner out and he signs with the team that goes on to win the cup while we finish bottom 10 again it's going to be freaking hilarious.

Reactions: Diaspora

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
When the team buys Skinner out and he signs with the team that goes on to win the cup while we finish bottom 10 again it's going to be freaking hilarious.

I suppose anything is possible. He hasn't shown he's a big game performer or the ability to shine is close checking games. But...to be fair, he's never been in the playoffs, so its all just guesswork as to how'd he perform there.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Can we think about this.

From what you saw you have pause to think he can learn what he needs to be at the NHL level.

What the rest of the hockey world saw.

The #1 overall pick. Consensus top 5 pick. Third in Calder voting. All rookie team.

But you think you’re the defense whisperer that can see through all that. Can you understand where that comes across a little bizarre?
If we want him to be a cornerstone 1st Pairing quality defenseman, like he's been drafted as, and now paid as, yes. it gives me pause. If we're looking for a #3 or #4 defenseman quality defenseman, it might not give me as much pause he can reach that level.

I see a guy that struggles when he has to think of what he needs to do, that got to where he was based on his offensive attributes much more than his defensive traits. I see the same lack of awareness in the defensive zone in coverages at the NHL level as he showed at the collegiate level, and the same quickness of him to react.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
If we want him to be a cornerstone 1st Pairing quality defenseman, like he's been drafted as, and now paid as, yes. it gives me pause. If we're looking for a #3 or #4 defenseman quality defenseman, it might not give me as much pause he can reach that level.

I see a guy that struggles when he has to think of what he needs to do, that got to where he was based on his offensive attributes much more than his defensive traits. I see the same lack of awareness in the defensive zone in coverages at the NHL level as he showed at the collegiate level, and the same quickness of him to react.

Right - like most 21 year old defensemen.

Reactions: Irie

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
1718118178268.png

More aggressive, better defensive forward core.

Better defensive core.

All the prospects still here.

Room to add the value to get Jensen, or take less for Clifton, or to pay slightly more to UFAs.

I like this mock.

Reactions: Kulich Man

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Right - like most 21 year old defensemen.
Just like Dahlin at 21, or Ristolainen at 21, or even Tyler Myers. I can't wait to see another defenseman under develop in the Sabres organization because the they didn't take development and proper coaching seriously. Maybe this toolsy defenseman will be exception to the rule.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
View attachment 881610

Better defensive core.

Room to add the value to get Jensen, or take less for Clifton, or to pay slightly more to UFAs.

I like this mock.
I like all but one move you made. Coleman for 11 is a bit much for a 32 year old forward coming off career highs. I wouldn't make that move.

I'm starting to think 3C isn't the need we think it is. Florida has Barkov - Adams and a lot of other GMs can't replicate a 1C with his skill set. He's the new Bergeron. But Bennett as a power matchup 2C and Lundell as a defensive 3C are a difficult out for most teams.

Cozens can be that 2C. I think he's a better wing but he'd be good in a Bennett role. I think Adams should be on the hunt for a Lundell type for 3C. That's another tough acquisition but doable.

Reactions: Chainshot

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
View attachment 881610

Better defensive core.

I like this mock.
The only thing I'm not sure about is whether Blueger is a 3C, I think he's been a 4C his entire career, and if something happens to Tage or Cozens, we could have problems at center.
I think Adams should be on the hunt for a Lundell type for 3C. That's another tough acquisition but doable.
#11 for Pinto :sarcasm:

Reactions: Der Jaeger

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
View attachment 881610

Better defensive core.

I like this mock.
Not sure I'd give up 11 for a 32 year old who has broken 40 points once in his career.

I know he's a defensive get but still. Hesitant.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The only thing I'm not sure about is whether Blueger is a 3C, I think he's been a 4C his entire career, and if something happens to Tage or Cozens, we could have problems at center.
The ideal state is he is the 4C, because Krebs takes it.

The above is opening night. Kulich will factor in. Rochester guys will push.

Not sure I'd give up 11 for a 32 year old who has broken 40 points once in his career.

I know he's a defensive get but still. Hesitant.
3 years on his deal left (you have to get him to waive to Buffalo, and that isn't nothing); he's the perfect addition to the top 6. Immediately makes them better at 5v5. Balances out the roster to be deeper and have more flexibility in roles Cozens' d impacts likely pick way up with Coleman.

11 being a top 6 defensive forward is a dream come true.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The ideal state is he is the 4C, because Krebs takes it.

The above is opening night. Kulich will factor in. Rochester guys will push.
Well I'm not sure about that, we just traded Mitts and will replace him with 4C and Krebs, who didn't show it at all. Kulich is not a center at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad