The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Speaking of Arizona/Utah, the ATW guys are saying they're hearing Buffalo is interested in UFA-to-be Liam O'Brien. Probably a Girgs replacement, plus fighting ability? I've literally never noticed him on the ice, but I don't tend to watch Arizona games unless they're playing buffalo the past few seasons.
He scored in the final game for the Yotes.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Speaking of Arizona/Utah, the ATW guys are saying they're hearing Buffalo is interested in UFA-to-be Liam O'Brien. Probably a Girgs replacement, plus fighting ability? I've literally never noticed him on the ice, but I don't tend to watch Arizona games unless they're playing buffalo the past few seasons.

He has a great beard. He is game to fight but does not do all that well at it IMO.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I like Peterka, but I’d rather have Crouse and Quinn over Peterka and Quinn. And if Utah moves him, they’ll want an NHL guy back. The prospects aren’t gonna cut it.
There is a recurring discussion around Crouse/Peterka and I see both sides of the argument. For this team right now, I agree with you. Crouse adds playoff style with 80% the production still and JJ will likely be more expensive starting next year.

I understand that Utah isn't looking to move Crouse, but I don't think it's impossible if we're willing to overpay.

I did exactly that in a franchise mode Armchair GM that I'm too shy to share, but maybe tonight I'll post it if I feel like getting flamed 😅

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
There is a recurring discussion around Crouse/Peterka and I see both sides of the argument. For this team right now, I agree with you. Crouse adds playoff style with 80% the production still and JJ will likely be more expensive starting next year.

I understand that Utah isn't looking to move Crouse, but I don't think it's impossible if we're willing to overpay.

I did exactly that in a franchise mode Armchair GM that I'm too shy to share, but maybe tonight I'll post it if I feel like getting flamed 😅
Too shy to share? What’s wrong with you soldier? Man up, and let the flamers burn.

• Haha
Reactions: HOOats

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Utah is loaded with forwards like us .. if they ever dealt Crouse it would be for a D man I imagine.

Reactions: HOOats

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Owen Power is 21.5 and is already putting up some strong numbers.

View attachment 881663

I'm sorry, you don't trade this. I don't care how much people rage about how he plays in front of his own net.

We actually agree that there's only 2 core guys (untouchables) presently, we just disagree on one. You say it's Dahlin-6K (crazy; he had 4 good months and Levi exists), and I say it's Dahlin-Power.

6k is only because getting a legit goaltender is so hard right now.. especially at a decent price... and I don't want to rely on Levi for a few years down the road.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I’m not certain the Sabres need Necas, but there are the stories that the Sabres scouting staff wanted Necas over Mittelstadt.

In internal discussions, I wonder if Adams and the staff are talking about Necas’ potential as a center with an eye to what they’ve thought of him over the years.

Getting centers is hard. If they think Necas can be a center full time and can work a deal, they might make the deal.

It won’t make sense to us as a singular trade, but if Adams had bigger plans it could make more sense. Eg: buying out Skinner, using free agency to get more gritty bottom six players, etc.

I can’t believe any NHL team watches Necas play and thinks “yeah, that guy can (and should) be a center.” Just thinking that should be a fireable offense.

Reactions: Dingo44

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Owen Power is 21.5 and is already putting up some strong numbers.

View attachment 881663

I'm sorry, you don't trade this. I don't care how much people rage about how he plays in front of his own net.

We actually agree that there's only 2 core guys (untouchables) presently, we just disagree on one. You say it's Dahlin-6K (crazy; he had 4 good months and Levi exists), and I say it's Dahlin-Power.

100% agree that Sabres fans, as a whole, are sleeping on Power—and not just his potential, but the level he’s already playing at. But then again a not-insignificant portion of this fanbase would’ve happily traded Dahlin for some middle 6 “character” guys 2 years ago, so thankfully we don’t GM by fan vote.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I just saw that Dakota Joshua is UFA...What's everyone's thoughts on him ? I haven't really watched him but heard he's physical
..Maybe can still have an offensive upside? Would Adams overpay to get him ?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I just saw that Dakota Joshua is UFA...What's everyone's thoughts on him ? I haven't really watched him but heard he's physical
Well, he's interesting, but that was his one season. Someone will definitely overpay, but if at a reasonable price, then we can consider him. I would also consider Stefan Noesen as an alternative, he has two good seasons in a row and is a pretty versatile guy.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Nic told Rivet and Peters Buffalo was one of 16 teams who called during free agency.

ATW, ep. 304 part 2, 18:00

Could easily see Buffalo offering him a normal 4th line contract. 1/2 years 1.5mil or something in that realm. Then Philly threw caution to the wind and signed him well above his value.

Reactions: Jacob582

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
100% agree that Sabres fans, as a whole, are sleeping on Power—and not just his potential, but the level he’s already playing at. But then again a not-insignificant portion of this fanbase would’ve happily traded Dahlin for some middle 6 “character” guys 2 years ago, so thankfully we don’t GM by fan vote.

As much as I don't like the contract, I certainly don't think there are many out there looking to move Power.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
These boards and this thread are specifically designated to throw around ideas about the roster and potential moves. People disagreeing with you doesn't mean they are trolling. Just relax.
Sure, I don't know why you are telling me to relax though. I merely stated a fact that fans want to move on from Power already after two seasons. Same as Dahlin. They are either trolling or are too concerned with making the playoffs in the short term.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Facebook reminded me of the post I made on 6/12/2019

I was spot on with my Skinner prediction.

IMG_7145.jpeg

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Anyone is going to have to overpay. I have a feeling he'll get $5M on a long term deal, which I'm not sure I'd want to do. I'd rather get Trenin for $3M.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think the most annoying thing in looking at these scenarios is how much of a competitive advantage we had over teams when cap was flat and we had plenty of space. The difficulty of this summer is compounded by the inaction of previous summers.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I think the most annoying thing in looking at these scenarios is how much of a competitive advantage we had over teams when cap was flat and we had plenty of space. The difficulty of this summer is compounded by the inaction of previous summers.
Maybe I'm taking a shallow look. Not signing players in previous years is bunching up the cap this year? Signing young players to relatively cheap long term deals bunches up the cap? Oh wait sorry, those are actions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad