The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Ok, hear me out, Chicago’s rebuild just started, so they may have some desire to get younger. The Sabres have a really nice group of young D, but their skills sets, styles and handedness are a little redundant.

Power + <-> Jones +

I assume the plus from Buffalo is significant, but man oh man, would that straighten out the D corps.

if by straighten them out you mean make them significantly worse for more money long term. They yes. It would do that.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Ok, hear me out, Chicago’s rebuild just started, so they may have some desire to get younger. The Sabres have a really nice group of young D, but their skills sets, styles and handedness are a little redundant.

Power + <-> Jones +

I assume the plus from Buffalo is significant, but man oh man, would that straighten out the D corps.
Why would Buffalo add significantly to acquire the older, more expensive, more than likely fully developed player with barely the same impact on the game? Also why would Jones waive his NMC?

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Man, y’all are dead wrong on Seth Jones. Dead wrong.
If this is a troll then well done… Seth Jones is a good enough player he has an albatross of a contract and he turns 30 before Power turns 22. Power is already an elite transition D and has tons of room to grow and mature. It would be an astonishingly foolish and catastrophic trade. In a few years you’ll be paying a 34 year old Jones more than you would be paying Power just entering his prime at 25…

Pretty good company… these other guys are all older and playing on elite teams.
IMG_8933.jpeg

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Why would Buffalo add significantly to acquire the older, more expensive, more than likely fully developed player with barely the same impact on the game? Also why would Jones waive his NMC?
Ok, might be wrong on the add. But Jones defensive impacts are significantly better than Power’s. As for waiving, the blackhawks are behind the Sabres in their rebuild. Do we really expect a huge improvement from Power in his own zone? I’m not saying he won’t develop, but he looks like a player that literally doesn’t know what to do when defending a cycle.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Power + <-> Jones +

Might straighten out the handedness....and it might make us better defensively for the next year or two.....but in the long-term, this trade makes us worse. Power is already better offensively than Jones is and ever will be and is on a cheaper deal for longer.

Buffalo isn't the one adding here.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Ok, might be wrong on the add. But Jones defensive impacts are significantly better than Power’s. As for waiving, the blackhawks are behind the Sabres in their rebuild. Do we really expect a huge improvement from Power in his own zone? I’m not saying he won’t develop, but he looks like a player that literally doesn’t know what to do when defending a cycle.
Did you watch Hedman play when he was 21? He was a deer in the headlights

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Do we really expect a huge improvement from Power in his own zone? I’m not saying he won’t develop, but he looks like a player that literally doesn’t know what to do when defending a cycle.
Power is 21 going on 22. We've all seen how long it took Dahlin to get good defensively. And there are plenty of examples of good-to-elite level defensemen that take until 22/23/24 to get good defensively.

So yes, I expect substantial improvement in Power's game defensively.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Might straighten out the handedness....and it might make us better defensively for the next year or two.....but in the long-term, this trade makes us worse. Power is already better offensively than Jones is and ever will be and is on a cheaper deal for longer.

Buffalo isn't the one adding here.
I’m fine with Chicago adding. I’ll admit I didn’t look at Jones’ contract. I honestly assumed he was signed cheaper. But Seth Jones is way way better than Owen power right now.

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
IMG_1889.jpeg
“Seth Jones is an extremely good hockey player, and Owen Power, while very good, is overrated and overpaid.”

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Going into season 3 for Power, Quinn and Paterka, I'm hoping all 3 take big jumps. 1 or 2 of them would be great.

I like Quinn’s moxie in returning from 2 big injuries and lookin good.

Power is like a 93 overall in nhl ‘24, for the record, but they also had Olofsson at like 86 and a top free agent. So.. there’s that. Oh and Pavelski plays on and Silferberg never retired. There’s some fun weirdness, like Owen Power being really good.

Back on topic- I think Power could figure it out and become phenomenal, I just think it requires the right coach and situation. And this is Buffalo.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I’m fine with Chicago adding. I’ll admit I didn’t look at Jones’ contract. I honestly assumed he was signed cheaper. But Seth Jones is way way better than Owen power right now.
I like the idea of trading for Jones but not for power. We should be looking for trades where we can use our overstock of winger prospects because we can’t use them all. Not sure if Chigaco needs a Kulich but I’d offer it.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I like Quinn’s moxie in returning from 2 big injuries and lookin good.

Power is like a 93 overall in nhl ‘24, for the record, but they also had Olofsson at like 86 and a top free agent. So.. there’s that. Oh and Pavelski plays on and Silferberg never retired. There’s some fun weirdness, like Owen Power being really good.

Back on topic- I think Power could figure it out and become phenomenal, I just think it requires the right coach and situation. And this is Buffalo.
I honestly thought you were mocking me for a second lol. I don't expect huge leaps from Power. I didn't see him on the verge but some baby steps would help quite a bit.

JJ you can argue has already broken out but we all want a more rounded game and consistency.

Quinn you can see it, just has to stay healthy and keep playing a fearless game.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’m not a fan of Power myself, but this isn’t the trade to do if you’re trading Owen. Even with Seth being better defensively than Owen, you’re only getting how many years of that play for a “cornerstone player” which is what Seth would be based on contract, and the move itself. This is a trade 5 years too late IMO.

Chicago also doesn’t have the assets to trade Owen for to make up for the favor we are doing for them. Not to mention, they are in the middle of a rebuild, that needs a lot of roster turnover. I doubt they would be willing to give away the near future assets, which will probably be prospects and draft picks, that would probably be required to trade for Owen. I’d think they’d rather keep their prospects/draft picks and build through the draft than waste those assets just to acquire one piece.

Shoot, we might just be two seasons away from starting another rebuild ourselves, hahaha.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Owen Power is one of the most underrated players in the league, largely because his own fanbase underrates him
His transition game is close to elite. His offensive game off said transition game, when in the offensive zone, is solid.

It’s his game away from the puck, and without the puck within the cycle game and his game in his defensive end that is utter crap. But all of his crappy play is forgiven because of his transition play for a few times a month that leads to goals. Backed up by those that downplay criticism of his poor play by justifying it saying he’s young, as if this organization has ever developed any quality defender. Dahlin still shows signs of being a liability in his end, but his offensive and transition game shift the balance in his favor so much.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
His transition game is close to elite. His offensive game off said transition game, when in the offensive zone, is solid.

It’s his game away from the puck, and without the puck within the cycle game and his game in his defensive end that is utter crap. But all of his crappy play is forgiven because of his transition play for a few times a month that leads to goals. Backed up by those that downplay criticism of his poor play by justifying it saying he’s young, as if this organization has ever developed any quality defender. Dahlin still shows signs of being a liability in his end, but his offensive and transition game shift the balance in his favor so much.
Rasmus Dahlin is one of the most underrated players in the league, largely because his own fanbase underrates him.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I honestly thought you were mocking me for a second lol. I don't expect huge leaps from Power. I didn't see him on the verge but some baby steps would help quite a bit.

JJ you can argue has already broken out but we all want a more rounded game and consistency.

Quinn you can see it, just has to stay healthy and keep playing a fearless game.

Haha nah, just marveling at how even EA is like “surely this won’t Buffalo on them- no pic of him even, but shit, he projects to be great.”

Agreed on Peterka, 28 goals is very solid, just feels kinda Pominville-y to me so far. Great scorer, want a bit more elsewhere.

Quinn- ya, was impressed with how he came back and I like to think those are just random bad luck injuries.

Reactions: Matt Ress

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Rasmus Dahlin is one of the most underrated players in the league, largely because his own fanbase underrates him.
The Sabres fanbase is one of the most overrated fanbases in the league, largely because they can’t handle criticism of their players unless said player is a whipping boy.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The Sabres fanbase is one of the most overrated fanbases in the league, largely because they can’t handle criticism of their players unless said player is a whipping boy.
Well, you mean yourself too, of course?

Criticism of a player should be on point. Power is still learning the game in defense, and he has room to grow in this regard. Dahlin is not Slavin in defense, but he is decent in everything, especially in creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad