The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I feel like we (okay... I) should break out a faceoff thread to talk about their deficiencies and how to address it. Tops would also be more contact overall because I will make a generalization that teams that play a limp style get out hustled on loose pucks so they get fewer winger wins on tied draws. And Buffalo has been very much a non-confrontational team physically under Granato. They might be able to push their team percentages a smidge by having more winger involvement.

I have nothing to back this up but years of anecdotal observation.
I feel like Cozens will get much better…I can’t help but pay attention to any prospective center’s FO stats since we’re still so bad at it though. And the fact that Adams mentioned it makes me think he’s looking at it.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
True. Also mentioned that teams are interested. It shouldn't be hard to look at that and think they could get something similar for a third of the contract value by getting a guy like AJ Greer or digging out some AHL tweener who they scout out who can skate.

Nashville ran out O'Reilly, Scissons, McCarron (all above 50%), Glass (46%) and Novak (only 42% but just 500 total draws) so they had better options.

My position on faceoffs is still the same. They need their top 2 centers to git gud and not worry too much out of someone who is going to be taking half as many draws as those two guys. And Trenin at 45% (170 draws in 16 games in Colorado, 77 W - 93 L) would be right in the mix of how Buffalo performed (Cozens 45.6% on 1146, Thompson 43.3%! on 859 draws, and Krebs 46.3% on 614 draws). It ain't good but it's what they have done.

Teams good at faceoffs are so because their top centers are good at faceoffs. And until someone can point me at data that it matters at a macro level instead of a micro level, it isn't a game breaker for me to have someone in the mid-40's career. It's having the "Number One Center" be so absolute dogshit at it that is hurting them most.
After that playoff series against the Amerks a few years back where a fan threw a full beer at him and he proceeded to get into it verbally with fans in the crowd he strikes me as a guy who has no desire to be with our organization lol. But then again money talks...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
After that playoff series against the Amerks a few years back where a fan threw a full beer at him and he proceeded to get into it verbally with fans in the crowd he strikes me as a guy who has no desire to be with our organization lol. But then again money talks...

Contracts talk. Tampa could get someone similar to Jeannot at a fraction of the cost was my point.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
"If you don't sign with us then next time we'll throw TWO full beers at you!"

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
so thats who we will target then lol?
As I said earlier, I like the options with Coleman or Haula. Maybe Joshsua, Lehkonen or Appleton. By the way, I'm wondering if Boston will re-sign DeBrusk? I think he could be a very good addition to our top 9.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The Savoie thread had some good thoughts about player development, thought I'd continue them over here.

I think the absolute dumbest thing Adams could do this summer is default to young players for important positions.

If, for example, the Sabres are going to use Cozens as a matchup center, then not going out and finding a secondary offensive center but instead defaulting to Krebs/one of Savoie/Kulich/Ostlund is a clear mistake. Its fine if we have injuries there, but assuming any of them can carry consistent offense at a NHL level is a mistake at this point.

The same goes with goaltending. There is no problem with letting Levi go back to the AHL. Go get a veteran backup. Someone who can work with UPL and give him good rest. Let Levi carry the load in rochester, and bring him up for tough stretches so he gets a taste. We can wait until next year for Tadem time.

There is no reason this has to be the youngest team in the NHL this year, even though it could easily be if Adams defaults to his 'leaving spots for kids to take' method.

We dont need as top 6F and we wont have the cap space for both.

Adams wasnt going to spend 6M+ for a 3C

Bryson isnt getting QO and exposed to arbitration but can get resigned.

They need to be careful with cap space usage in defense

I mean, we've got several years before Power's NMC kicks in. And there is nothing saying we can't move Byram. We have the ability to be flexible there if needed.

That would require a GM who isn't in love with his players though.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
The Savoie thread had some good thoughts about player development, thought I'd continue them over here.

I think the absolute dumbest thing Adams could do this summer is default to young players for important positions.

If, for example, the Sabres are going to use Cozens as a matchup center, then not going out and finding a secondary offensive center but instead defaulting to Krebs/one of Savoie/Kulich/Ostlund is a clear mistake. Its fine if we have injuries there, but assuming any of them can carry consistent offense at a NHL level is a mistake at this point.

The same goes with goaltending. There is no problem with letting Levi go back to the AHL. Go get a veteran backup. Someone who can work with UPL and give him good rest. Let Levi carry the load in rochester, and bring him up for tough stretches so he gets a taste. We can wait until next year for Tadem time.

There is no reason this has to be the youngest team in the NHL this year, even though it could easily be if Adams defaults to his 'leaving spots for kids to take' method.

I mean, we've got several years before Power's NMC kicks in. And there is nothing saying we can't move Byram. We have the ability to be flexible there if needed.

I agree with this. Are we going to trade for a goalie? I don't think any good veteran backup would sign here. They know how little Comrie got to play and they know Levi would be the priority.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I agree with this. Are we going to trade for a goalie? I don't think any good veteran backup would sign here. They know how little Comrie got to play and they know Levi would be the priority.
Personally I thought they made it clear that they’re looking for a Rochester goalie to replace Levi, and that Levi would be full-time Buffalo.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
They could sign a guy like Wedgwood or someone like that just for insurance, although I think UPL and Levi can handle it, but all the risks need to be taken into account.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Personally I thought they made it clear that they’re looking for a Rochester goalie to replace Levi, and that Levi would be full-time Buffalo.
No

They want him playing regularly. He primarily plays in rrg Rochester then gets called up to pl sd y in games like 3 in 4 or 4 in the back up isnt going to get as many games as typical back up.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It's interesting to contrast the differences between the Sabre's and Av's roster discussions.

One is looking at how they can possibly manage to hold on to players who have really made a difference (Drouin, MIttlestadt, Lehkonen) while the other is desperately trying to find players (just like the 3 above) who they can attract.

Listen guys..... the Avs desperately need a goalie. Fourgiev isn't it..... Maybe use that as a starting place and find away to snag Lehkonen or Drouin?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It's interesting to contrast the differences between the Sabre's and Av's roster discussions.

One is looking at how they can possibly manage to hold on to players who have really made a difference (Drouin, MIttlestadt, Lehkonen) while the other is desperately trying to find players (just like the 3 above) who they can attract.

Listen guys..... the Avs desperately need a goalie. Fourgiev isn't it..... Maybe use that as a starting place and find away to snag Lehkonen or Drouin?

Well Drouin is a free agent.

I'm not giving a goalie for Lehkonen .. its way too hard to find a legit goalie now days.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

We aren’t trading a goalie. UPL will get signed and you don’t move out Levi (or UPL) until the day the cost of both UPL and Levi makes it mandatory. Moving out either while you’re paying a more than reasonable total for both is doing it wrong.

You think it’s hard finding wingers? Try finding one goalie you believe in. Let alone two.

You want as many legit dart throws as possible. Because the odds one falls on their face is high. And your odds of guessing which one is 50/50.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

how--explain?

irrelevant of lines

Skinner-Tage-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
Greenway-xxx-Benson
xxx-xxx-Rousek

youth Krebs, Kulich, Rosen, and others
likely in Rochester first half of next year Savoie, Ostlund,

You want Levi to get alot of game action which he would playing in Rochester with an occational call up for injuries or playing a game during a 3 in 4 or 4 in 6 stretch.

As ive said before ...its possible Byram was part 1 of a multipart trade that had to wait till the offseason.

Im not brining in people to force them to keep younger players in the AHL when these players are likely more skilled than who they bring in.

If they make trades its more in the short term variety

my concenr is the salkry cap structure.

The ideal format is do it as 4/7 for 14F 3/7 for the 7D/2G
or bottom 8 players on the roster 4F, 2D, 1G, 1 F/D/G make up about $11-$12MM of cap and the top 9F/5D/1G make up the rest of the roster with 50% for 9F and 5D/SG get 40%

Samulesson, Power, Dhalin, Clifton, Byram, signed UPL make up around $35M

If next years cap is 87.7
11.7M for bottom 8 that leaves $76M for 9/5/1 so 40% is 30.4 which Buffalo exceeds
7D/2G= 3/7 of 87.7 is 37.6M Buffalo fills out there roster on D/G with RyJo, a $1M back u G, and a $1M vet that put them at around 37.9M which is slightly above.

You can be slightly above that level for a few seasons do to youth elsewhere or expiring contacts., Buffalo doesn't look to have much in terms of expiring contracts with Byram getting a raise in 2025 and Johnson getting a bridge. in 26 Clifton ends and is replaced with an ELC.

-------------------

Ive seen enough people say in acquiring say Cirelli that the cap will go up making the contract not a big deal---thats not how it works.

Look at other sports. With a rising cap, the money is going to your star players and you go with youth and it squezes out the salariess of your middle of the road. You used to see some no name player have a 15+ yr career in baseball. not anymore. those players are forced out for the younger players who have higher potentuial return on salary.

Buffalo cant afford a high priced long term F making $6M or more--especially a 3C. They need something cheaper on the short term or they need to trade something with salary ir a player like Peterka who will be getting a raise in 25/26

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

It appears one team knows how to draft and the other cant pick players outside the top 5 OA draft picks.

The reason Mittlestadt was traded is because they dont want to pay a 3C $6M+
Colorado is 8/4/2 with $16M to spend on 5F and 3D/ Thats on avg $2M per player or $1M for 6 players and $10M for 2 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad