The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
After playing around with Capfriendly’s armchair GM all week, I think Adams top priority should be moving Skinner via trade. If he can pull that off, even if he retains 50% salary, it opens up so many more options for him to add to the Sabres.
Skinner $3M retained, + for John Tavares. I
don't think Toronto would touch that contract; just dreaming.

Unless they really value that $5M in cap space for next season and can't get rid of Marner or Tavares somewhere else.

That doesn't open up your other options though.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Of all the players who it seems like slacked last summer and sleepwalked through the first few months of last season, no one is more glaring for me than Alex Tuch. Probably no hockey player who my opinion of has decreased more in the last 12 months. Hopefully he decides to do something different this offseason.

Reactions: buffalowing88

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Of all the players who it seems like slacked last summer and sleepwalked through the first few months of last season, no one is more glaring for me than Alex Tuch. Probably no hockey player who my opinion of has decreased more in the last 12 months. Hopefully he decides to do something different this offseason.
Without reviewing the numbers, I was dissapointed with how Tage, Tuch and Dahlin started. Of course Cozens had an awful season.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Most coaches don’t want a player who doesn’t listen to them, no matter how many goals he scores when going it alone.

It’s hard for Adams to convince a team to take him when it’ll be an enormous hit to their team accountability and team cohesion.
Understood but offense puts people in the seats….so a rebuilding team can at least have entertaining games. Loosing 5-4 is more fun to watch, than watching the Devils win 2-1 with their trap.

I get that he’s a one dimensional player but 3 @ $5 plus a 2nd is not bad for a rebuilding team and allows us to upgrade. Peterka takes line 1 duties, Benson on line 2 or 3, greenway on 4th….I’d rather use that $4 mil on filling out role players as we’re pretty good with let’s just say skill players

Reactions: RasmWristshotlainen

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Understood but offense puts people in the seats….so a rebuilding team can at least have entertaining games. Loosing 5-4 is more fun to watch, than watching the Devils win 2-1 with their trap.

I get that he’s a one dimensional player but 3 @ $5 plus a 2nd is not bad for a rebuilding team and allows us to upgrade. Peterka takes line 1 duties, Benson on line 2 or 3, greenway on 4th….I’d rather use that $4 mil on filling out role players as we’re pretty good with let’s just say skill players
The catch-22 is that he wouldn’t accept a trade to a rebuilding team. By all accounts, the only team he’d accept a trade to is Toronto and I can’t imagine Berube wanting him at all, even at $4.5m

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
After playing around with Capfriendly’s armchair GM all week, I think Adams top priority should be moving Skinner via trade. If he can pull that off, even if he retains 50% salary, it opens up so many more options for him to add to the Sabres.
A buyout provides $7.55 million in additional space this season and $4.55 next year. So, for two years a buyout actually provides more or the same space as a trade at 50% retention. Year 3, 2026-27, of a buyout stings as the cap hit is $6.44; but it is important to remember that the cost in 2026-27 doesn’t get appreciably better if you wait ($6.0 million if you wait until next year and $5.55 if you wait two years). In years 4-6 the hit is $2.44, but by then the cap could be close to $100 million. The Oilers and Florida both had more dead-cap than that this season and they are still playing.

I agree that a trade with retention would be best; but a buyout now makes sense if we are prepared to spend the savings on talent.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Skinner - -
- - Greenway
- extra

Dahlin Samuelsson
Byram Power
- Clifton
- extra

-
-

Keep of these Below ?
Girgs only UFA ?
Krebs, bryson, Jokiharju, upl as rfa?
2-4 forward spots to fill with who at the and before draft and free agentcy ?

RFA - Krebs, bryson, Jokiharju, clague , UPL
UFA - Girgensons, jost, Olofsson, Robinson, comrie

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

I agree. I understand he had a child. I understand he's from the region. At the same time, he's not a priority to me like he was a year ago. He has some O'Reilly characteristics where he gets moody at fans and the situation as a whole and I'm not in love with that.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I agree. I understand he had a child. I understand he's from the region. At the same time, he's not a priority to me like he was a year ago. He has some O'Reilly characteristics where he gets moody at fans and the situation as a whole and I'm not in love with that.
This is the line of logic that has ex-Sabres all over the playoffs while we talk about holes in the roster.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
This is the line of logic that has ex-Sabres all over the playoffs while we talk about holes in the roster.
People are still mad because he said he didn’t appreciate people booing Granato while also saying he understood why people are frustrated.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Do you really want players that are content to be losing? Do you need a roster filled with guys who don't care if they're getting booed? Players that are just happy to be getting paid? You could re-sign Kyle Okposo. Maybe find another Skinner.

I don't blame O'Reilly. That group was clearly going nowhere. The current roster is far more balanced than then. There's real talent on defense. Goaltending looks sorted. There's a decent top six. They're a legitimate bubble team with room to grow.

It seems like last year's team suffered from a lack of urgency. Blame the coaching staff and management. Granato paid the price. I don't think Tuch is going to be a problem at all this year.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Do you really want players that are content to be losing? Do you need a roster filled with guys who don't care if they're getting booed? Players that are just happy to be getting paid? You could re-sign Kyle Okposo. Maybe find another Skinner.

I don't blame O'Reilly. That group was clearly going nowhere. The current roster is far more balanced than then. There's real talent on defense. Goaltending looks sorted. There's a decent top six. They're a legitimate bubble team with room to grow.

It seems like last year's team suffered from a lack of urgency. Blame the coaching staff and management. Granato paid the price. I don't think Tuch is going to be a problem at all this year.

If Tuch cared so much he wouldn't have sleep walked thru the majority of the season.

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
when does the sabres moves happen ? Before ,at or after the draft ?

3 c
Winger
Depth players

During draft time thru july 7th or so.

On winger---

Skinner aside, they dont need a winger in top 9.

They have benson, tuch, greenway, peterka, Quinn, kids ( Rosen, Kulich, savoie, other). Thr kids could move greenway to 4th line.

They could resign Gitgs, and there I'd Rousek

Three things are

1 a bottom 6 center

If they trade Krebs it could mean 2 C.

2 depth Dman. RyJohnson in top 6 on team or in rochester
-' could be bryson as 7th D.
Then LD are samurlson,Byram, power. Dahln, xxx, Clifton

Do they acquire a RD cheaper than what Joker gets In arb

3. Trading Joker, krebs?

Are they traded for picks/prospects or depth players.

Buying out Skinner this year does not create space for anything beyond 24/25. Thst extra space thr last 2 years goes toward resigning players. Any space for 24/25 would be in the 1 yr rental signing or trade.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Buying out Skinner this year does not create space for anything beyond 24/25. Thst extra space thr last 2 years goes toward resigning players. Any space for 24/25 would be in the 1 yr rental signing or trade.
Buying Skinner out this year creates approximately the same cap space in 25/26 and 26/27 as it does if you wait a year, AND it provides the benefit of an extra $7.55 million in space this year. The only downside to buying Skinner out this year is the 3 years of $2.44 million in dead cap that applies to 27/28 through 29/30. Most NHL teams that are trying to make the playoffs and contend would jump at the opportunity to obtain an additional $7.55 million to upgrade and remake their roster and would not fret about a far from insurmountable $2.44 million in dead cap 4-6 seasons from now. The benefit that can be gained from the extra space this year far outweighs the negative of the dead cap a 1/2 decade from now when the actual cap has gone up by 10-20%.

Also, if we do buy out Skinner, I don’t think we should worry too much about the possible impact on future contracts for our coming RFAs (Quinn, Peterka, Byram, Levi, Benson). The best teams ice the best roster they can and sort out cap issues as they go. The Sabres have an abundance of draft and prospect capital that can be used to either replace players who have priced themselves out of our future cap situation or to attach assets to entice other teams to take on players whose cap we need to rid ourselves of. Other teams do this annually.

A year from now, if we have bought out Skinner, used the money on a couple of longterm deals for UFAs who help us get in the playoffs and Quinn, Peterka, Byram and Levi have all had such good years that it is not possible for us to keep them all, my response will be: Hallelujah!!!

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Wonder what the ask is on Necas? Buffalo and Carolina have a history together and I would love to add Necas to our top 6.

Carolina has a lot of decisions to make.
Guentzel
Pesce
Teravainen
Skjei

All free agents and with 27 million in cap space they are gonna have to let someone walk.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Buying Skinner out this year creates approximately the same cap space in 25/26 and 26/27 as it does if you wait a year, AND it provides the benefit of an extra $7.55 million in space this year. The only downside to buying Skinner out this year is the 3 years of $2.44 million in dead cap that applies to 27/28 through 29/30. Most NHL teams that are trying to make the playoffs and contend would jump at the opportunity to obtain an additional $7.55 million to upgrade and remake their roster and would not fret about a far from insurmountable $2.44 million in dead cap 4-6 seasons from now. The benefit that can be gained from the extra space this year far outweighs the negative of the dead cap a 1/2 decade from now when the actual cap has gone up by 10-20%.

Also, if we do buy out Skinner, I don’t think we should worry too much about the possible impact on future contracts for our coming RFAs (Quinn, Peterka, Byram, Levi, Benson). The best teams ice the best roster they can and sort out cap issues as they go. The Sabres have an abundance of draft and prospect capital that can be used to either replace players who have priced themselves out of our future cap situation or to attach assets to entice other teams to take on players whose cap we need to rid ourselves of. Other teams do this annually.

A year from now, if we have bought out Skinner, used the money on a couple of longterm deals for UFAs who help us get in the playoffs and Quinn, Peterka, Byram and Levi have all had such good years that it is not possible for us to keep them all, my response will be: Hallelujah!!!
I understand buy out. Ive said the only one that makes sense is the last year. Its 5.66 or so. Buy out earlier its higher.

You get a high price contract this year without trading current salary or include Peterja in the deal you will run into serious cap trouble

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Wonder what the ask is on Necas? Buffalo and Carolina have a history together and I would love to add Necas to our top 6.

Carolina has a lot of decisions to make.
Guentzel
Pesce
Teravainen
Skjei

All free agents and with 27 million in cap space they are gonna have to let someone walk.
Sabres can go after 2 players: Necas and joshua ?

Peterka Thompson Quinn
Benson Necas Tuch
Skinner Cozens Krebs
Girgensons Joshua Greenway
Young call up in Savoie kulich Rosén Ostlund

Dahlin Samuelsson
Byram power
Clifton Joki
Extra: Bryson Johnsson

UPL
Levi

Good team

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018

Peterka Thompson Quinn
Benson Necas Tuch
Skinner Cozens Krebs

Dahlin Samuelsson
Byram power
Clifton Joki

UPL
Levi

Good team
I think Necas and Joshua would be great additions. Assuming you get the RFAs and Girgs signed to relatively conservative extensions and that you have a player making under $900k as the 13th forward, you are only left with about $7 million in cap though. That won’t be enough to sign Necas alone. You probably need upwards of $10.5 to $11 million to sign both of those players.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021

Peterka Thompson Quinn
Benson Necas Tuch
Skinner Cozens Krebs

Dahlin Samuelsson
Byram power
Clifton Joki

UPL
Levi

Good team
What are you trading/signing these guys for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad