OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Blamed Canada

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Peyton went for 1-29 and a 2nd in 24 and the saints sent a 3rd back if you trade with Washington your not getting a 1st this season you might get their 2nd and then a 1st after next season

Idc what they get for Tomlin. Could be a 7th round pick and I'd be ecstatic

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I watched one of the Post Gazette guys interview the lady from NFL Network that will be on the sideline for Saturday's game. Steeler fans being done with Tomlin inevitably came up.

She was saying when you get rid of Belichick you have an idea of who you could replace him with like Vrabel, Mayo, etc. that have connections to the Patriots, but who in the world could you possibly see replacing the great Mike Tomlin? The PG guy very politely pointed out that nobody knew who Tomlin was and he had zero connections to the Steelers before they hired him. Just a bunch of head nods and yeah's out of her on that one.

The national media think they are so much smarter than the local beat reporters or fans because they get more views on their YouTube videos or whatever. But then when they talk to local people, they get absolutely exposed. Not to pick on this lady. She deserves credit for doing the interview in the first place, unlike Eisen who cherry picks tweets and then responds to them on his show. It's like Ben Shapiro debating college kids.....although I'm not 100% convinced that Eisen isn't just trolling at this point.

Maybe AR2 can trade Tomlin and complimentary rub and tug to Kraft for a first?
Could you imagine if Tomlin won a Super Bowl with the Pats? :laugh:

Like if he won with the Chargers or Commanders, whatever. Good for them. Good for him. Winning with the Pats would actually be pretty painful.

Peyton went for 1-29 and a 2nd in 24 and the saints sent a 3rd back if you trade with Washington your not getting a 1st this season you might get their 2nd and then a 1st after next season
Done and done. Where do I sign?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Like if he won with the Chargers or Commanders, whatever. Good for them. Good for him. Winning with the Pats would actually be pretty painful.

I'll put any money down that Tomlin will never win another SB. Anyone lay out the dollar amount and terms and I'm in.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I watched one of the Post Gazette guys interview the lady from NFL Network that will be on the sideline for Saturday's game. Steeler fans being done with Tomlin inevitably came up.

She was saying when you get rid of Belichick you have an idea of who you could replace him with like Vrabel, Mayo, etc. that have connections to the Patriots, but who in the world could you possibly see replacing the great Mike Tomlin? The PG guy very politely pointed out that nobody knew who Tomlin was and he had zero connections to the Steelers before they hired him. Just a bunch of head nods and yeah's out of her on that one.

The national media think they are so much smarter than the local beat reporters or fans because they get more views on their YouTube videos or whatever. But then when they talk to local people, they get absolutely exposed. Not to pick on this lady. She deserves credit for doing the interview in the first place, unlike Eisen who cherry picks tweets and then responds to them on his show. It's like Ben Shapiro debating college kids.....although I'm not 100% convinced that Eisen isn't just trolling at this point.

I’m not worried about Tomlin going elsewhere and winning a SB.

He’s just a dude, nothing more.

Walked into an ideal situation with a HOF QB and an org that gives you a lifetime job.

He would quickly find out about the reality of NFL life without Roth and the Rooneys.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If true, this would make my next 5 Christmases

That would make sense if Harris wasn't one of the minority owners who hasn't been beating the table to dump Tomlin. There has been many rumors that minority ownership differs on opinions v. AR2

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Part of me thinks it'd be fun if the front office went nuclear. Just legitimately start over. There are stars on the team and alumni who are publicly questioning the Steelers, their culture, and their way of doing business right now. This coaching staff is rotten. AR2 is going to "loyalty" himself concretely as the worst Steelers owner ever - even though he's already there.

Trade Tomlin. Trade DJ. Trade Chuks. If Kenny isn't the guy - can him. If Najee isn't the guy - can him. If Pickens can't straighten up - trade him. This must be blown back to the studs and started from scratch. We have been building this thing on uneven ground for a long time and it's just not working whatsoever.

Hire a young hot shot coach and build it around him. Let him pick his QB. Start like 1992 when Cowher came - it shouldn't be long if they can get picks and retool.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I’m not worried about Tomlin going elsewhere and winning a SB.

He’s just a dude, nothing more.

Walked into an ideal situation with a HOF QB and an org that gives you a lifetime job.

He would quickly find out about the reality of NFL life without Roth and the Rooneys.
You honestly don’t think he could could go the chargers cowboys and win a superbowl

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You honestly don’t think he could could go the chargers cowboys and win a superbowl

No. He’s an avg coach that’s rode the coattails of a HOF QB and the reputation of a historical franchise.

This league has been slanted towards offense and Tomlin has no clue how to run a modern offense.

He’s a supposed defensive guy that’s let up 35+ points in his last four playoff games.

Tomlin would be on his third or fourth team by now if he wasn’t fortunate enough to be hired by the Steelers.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Tomlin went to the Cowboys then yeah, I think he could win a Superbowl.

But that's because the Cowboys are stacked and a cheerleader might be the piece they need.

I think there's very few situations like that where a cheerleader is all they need and most of them are filled (the Chargers are not one of them).

Him going to the Pats and being the builder or whatever, not seeing it.

In any case, who cares? Okay yeah him going to the Pats and winning would be painful to see, but someone like the Cowboys, big whoop.

It's like looking at a house and thinking "I must have it" because it's great value for what it is even though it's not at all the house you need.

The Steelers need a guy who can rebuild the offensive side of the ball. Tomlin is almost definitely not that. His background suggests he's not and the past couple years suggests he's not.

Best case is you can get in a great OC to do that and Tomlin will give him everything he needs including the freedom to screw up aiming for great, which so far he appears unwilling to do. And that sort of offensive mind rarely stays in an OC job for long. And the proven guys are looking for HC roles.

You're really threading a needle there and even if it does work out short term, long term it might result in Tomlin being moved on to keep the OC.

Average case scenarios is he's not the house we need and we should be looking to sell, even if it's someone else's dream house.

That would make sense if Harris wasn't one of the minority owners who hasn't been beating the table to dump Tomlin. There has been many rumors that minority ownership differs on opinions v. AR2

Yeah I was about to mention that I was sure I'd seen that said. Is that rumour, heavy rumour, out of Harris' mouth or what?

I guess the counter to that is if Glazer is Tomlin's mouthpiece, he's not floating it if it's a non-starter right? Or maybe it's a non-starter and Glazer wants to boost Tomlin, spread the idea he's wantable even if this isn't the specific one...

... or I don't know what.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'll put any money down that Tomlin will never win another SB. Anyone lay out the dollar amount and terms and I'm in.
I'm not going to bet he will, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility he lands in an ideal situation with a franchise QB and a good OC who just wasn't quite ready for the head coaching gig yet. You know....basically like what happened with him landing the Steelers gig.

I don't know who that would be, but maybe something like the Chargers, Jaguars, or Bills.

If he goes to the Commanders and is tasked with building a SB team from scratch with Sam Howell? Naw. I don't see that.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Probably no one. Last Steelers OC with no prior ties to the org was Kevin Gilbride.
Exactly. Same with DC's also. Tomlin only hires from within or guys with some connection to Pitt or Pittsburgh or both. The idea that he'll go after someone who's never worked east of Minnesota is amusing.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

So I’m a Chargers fan… don’t be trying to pawn Mike Tomlin off on the Chargers lol. I want him nowhere near this team

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
So I’m a Chargers fan… don’t be trying to pawn Mike Tomlin off on the Chargers lol. I want him nowhere near this team

Here's the thing: Tomlin will get you to mediocrity (8/9 wins) no matter what his roster is.
So if you are the Pats or Cards and want to get to respectability, Tomlin is your guy.

If you are the Eagles or Cowboys and have SB aspirations, he'll still get you 8/9 wins.
He's Jeff Fisher, Barry Switzer, Marty Schottenheimer, etc.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Who else are you going to get? There's literally nobody else who can coach football.
This is true… I am pretty concerned that since they will fire Staley at the end of the year that they won’t have a head coach standing on the sidelines next year. I mean… I’m not sure how this is gonna work

If rumors on Hoodie are true, he just may end up in SD.
I think this is what will happen. I think BB comes to LA. He’s going to want a team that has the QB position set already. Of the openings I don’t really see any other place being more enticing

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think this is what will happen. I think BB comes to LA. He’s going to want a team that has the QB position set already. Of the openings I don’t really see any other place being more enticing

Or… hear me out… Tomlin for a first.

He would actually need his aviators in SD, and would win many press conferences.

• Haha
Reactions: Night Shift

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Belichick is a poster child for how much having a top quarterback means to a head coach.

We all said that when Brady left we would settle the question, and Brady winning a Superbowl after and Belichick's Pats crashing and burning settled the question decisively.

And Belichick actually is a talented coach. A cheater, but still talented.

Tomlin is the equivalent of that low ceiling low floor draft pick. He will be so conservative that his teams will never crash and burn. But unless they have ten times the talent of everyone else they will never win anything either.

Is that talent? I suppose in a way it shows that he knows how not to lose. But that is not the goal in sports. The goal is to win, and his approach makes winning a Superbowl about as likely as the Pirates winning the world series. Possible but as unlikely as me winning the lottery.

Tomlin is a handicap as big as being in an uncapped league with a cheap owner.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad