OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Blamed Canada

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Dotson is the same player he was here playing RG. I do wonder what his contract looks like after free agency He is a road grader in the running game who struggles with speed rushers
Good for Spillane i liked what we got from Holcomb and Roberts
Witherspoon is on his 5th team but finally healthy

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Dotson is the same player he was here playing RG. I do wonder what his contract looks like after free agency He is a road grader in the running game who struggles with speed rushers
Good for Spillane i liked what we got from Holcomb and Roberts
Witherspoon is on his 5th team but finally healthy

Dotson was a very good RG but the Steelers, in their infinite wisdom, moved him to LG. The Rams play him at RG.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
What if I told you that it can be true that this scheme sucks as do KP/Mitch?

Ben was in the same offense. The difference is that he was so damn good that he was able to transcend a terrible scheme/philosophy. Add in the fact that he had worse players around him and it's a miracle he dragged this team to the playoffs

Even statue Ben was another tier above Mitch and KP. And it cannot be ignored that Ben didn't throw to the middle which leads me to believe that the concepts being called are like the 3rd or 4th reads. Ben was occasionally able to get to that progression. KP and Mitch can't process that quickly.

Roth was generational, but even he couldn't overcome the Canada/Tomlin tag team of ineptness.

Let's not forget Roth only looked good when he was calling his own plays in the second half and they got out of the Tomlin/Canada comedy offense, which MT and KP don't have the luxury of doing.

Roth trying to run their shitty offense resulted in a historical stretch of 5 consecutive halfs without a TD, which was a franchise record that held for 70+ years.

That stretch dated back to their first season....

Basically, this team is f***ed unless Tomlin is removed from the OC hiring process and he isn't allowed to meddle.

And no, I didn't get through typing that sentence without laughing.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Yeah because the Steelers have Daniels at RG do you think he gets over 10 million a year both Isac and Daniels make 8 million a year

But Dotson was superior to Daniels. Then Dotson floundered on the left. I don't think they even tried Daniels on the left
Blows me away that this staff is this idiotic who insist on pounding square pegs into round holes

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
But Dotson was superior to Daniels. Then Dotson floundered on the left. I don't think they even tried Daniels on the left
Blows me away that this staff is this idiotic who insist on pounding square pegs into round holes
What Daniels has been our best o lineman for 2 years straight.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What if I told you that it can be true that this scheme sucks as do KP/Mitch?

Ben was in the same offense. The difference is that he was so damn good that he was able to transcend a terrible scheme/philosophy. Add in the fact that he had worse players around him and it's a miracle he dragged this team to the playoffs

Even statue Ben was another tier above Mitch and KP. And it cannot be ignored that Ben didn't throw to the middle which leads me to believe that the concepts being called are like the 3rd or 4th reads. Ben was occasionally able to get to that progression. KP and Mitch can't process that quickly.

It could be true.

I think it is more likely that the scheme and its execution is so atrocious that nobody but an absolute franchise guy could thrive in it and that it will absolutely make players look worse than they are. Possibly dramatically so.

And maybe Pickett sucks, and maybe he doesn't, and I struggle to say because what the Steelers are doing is that atrocious. It is noticeable just how different he looks in the fourth quarter when they're forced to be aggressive, and sacking Canada seemed to free him.

And maybe Trubisky sucks, and maybe he doesn't. Chicago certainly got use out of him, although not consistently enough. Buffalo certainly liked him.

And Big Ben is one that I find damning, because I'm with Jiggy here. I think Ben sucked just as hard as those guys until suddenly he was chucking the scheme out to draw up his own plays and all of a sudden looked radically different.

Put it all together and I don't think a guy like Zappe or Browning or Bagent is walking in here and looking dramatically better. I think they'd look the same.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
It could be true.

I think it is more likely that the scheme and its execution is so atrocious that nobody but an absolute franchise guy could thrive in it and that it will absolutely make players look worse than they are. Possibly dramatically so.

And maybe Pickett sucks, and maybe he doesn't, and I struggle to say because what the Steelers are doing is that atrocious. It is noticeable just how different he looks in the fourth quarter when they're forced to be aggressive, and sacking Canada seemed to free him.

And maybe Trubisky sucks, and maybe he doesn't. Chicago certainly got use out of him, although not consistently enough. Buffalo certainly liked him.

And Big Ben is one that I find damning, because I'm with Jiggy here. I think Ben sucked just as hard as those guys until suddenly he was chucking the scheme out to draw up his own plays and all of a sudden looked radically different.

Put it all together and I don't think a guy like Zappe or Browning or Bagent is walking in here and looking dramatically better. I think they'd look the same.
So you're saying three undrafted free agents would look the same as Pickett and Trubisky, both 1st round draft choices, but you don't think that's a reflection on Pickett. Ok then.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It could be true.

The best evidence we have that it is the scheme is Roth.

He had the same players in the first half as he did in the second when he called his own plays.

One half historically bad offense with Canada calling plays and using his offense.

Second half moving the ball really well with Roth drawing up plays in the dirt.

That’s pretty hard evidence the Canada offense is where QBs go to die.

Roth got frustrated early in the season and alluded to Canada’s offense being a joke back in ‘21.

He basically said “what do you want me to do with this offense, I try to run the plays that are called”

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
On the other hand you could plug any stiff into 'the offense'.

I refuse to call it Canada's Offense. Let's be real, it is Tomlin's offense supporting Tomlin's defense. But you could plug anyone into it who can hand the ball off and complete a pass within five or so yards of him and get pretty much the same results.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
It could be true.

At this point Trubisky looks like his practices consist of backyard turkey bowls and staring directly into the sun for hours on end.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
And no, I didn't get through typing that sentence without laughing.

Well That's what the Clown is here for. Humor heals the soul.

Rooney: "Thank GAWD he's here! I just have to hire his traveling circus friends now and then for an OC job but Thank GAWD he's here!" Hallelujah

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
On the other hand you could plug any stiff into 'the offense'.

I refuse to call it Canada's Offense. Let's be real, it is Tomlin's offense supporting Tomlin's defense. But you could plug anyone into it who can hand the ball off and complete a pass within five or so yards of him and get pretty much the same results.

Tomlin wants to win with D and show the league he's the smartest guy in the room or he has not a f***ing clue how to run a modern day NFL offense.

I suspect it's B, so he defaults to A out of pure ignorance.

The only agenda here is wanting the Steelers to a stop being mediocre.

Some people aren't smart enough to figure out the cook is buying the ingredients as well.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
The only agenda here is wanting the Steelers to a stop being mediocre.

In an ideal Western PA sky, however most have the agenda backward and don't think like the rest of the world. Instead of booing (Fire Chant) the root of the problem at games (Tomlin Sullivan) they dance around the problem, boo the 2 year GM or whatever Coordinator at a given time. Because It certainly can't be the people in actual charge.

The same problem persits and they can't figure out why. Now its Reirden and Dubas or the next guy on the Steelrs that has been there for 2 days.

Rinse and Repeat.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Show your work. I showed mine a few pages ago

Edit- Post 713 in this thread.
Please enlighten me in how I was incorrect on that play diagnosis.

Last edited:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Tomlin wants to win with D and show the league he's the smartest guy in the room or he has not a f***ing clue how to run a modern day NFL offense.

I suspect it's B, so he defaults to A out of pure ignorance.

Some people aren't smart enough to figure out the cook is buying the ingredients as well.
He literally let 7 wing it when he was healthy however. In Mason last start in 2021 he threw it 50 times. Ben threw it 40 times week 18 against Bmore and 44 in kc for the playoffs
Mitch 35 attempts against New England is the 2nd most all season since the 49ers game

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He literally let 7 wing it when he was healthy however. In Mason last start in 2021 he threw it 50 times. Ben threw it 40 times week 18 against Bmore and 44 in kc for the playoffs
Mitch 35 attempts against New England is the 2nd most all season since the 49ers game

Yep, Tomlin is a modern day offensive guru.

Just bad luck with this whole historically inept offense and all that no QB can find success with.

• Haha

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Hilariously enough, Daniels was drafted with the 3rd pick in the second round as a C. He played C in college. Could have been Moore - Seumalo - Daniels - Dotson - Jones. If Dotson is a top 3 G at RG, Seumalo was a Pro Bowler. Daniels was a top pick at C. I don't know the reason they have never tried him at C, but I guess they have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad