OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Blamed Canada

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

“First time things get to be a bit rocky…”

Dude must have been in a coma the last six years.

Tomlin will get his 9 wins I have zero doubt, then his delusional defenders can pound their chests about his meaningless winning streak.

The standard is mediocrity.

At least another former Steeler is being honest:

• Haha
Reactions: Josey Wales

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
“First time things get to be a bit rocky…”

Dude must have been in a coma the last six years.

Tomlin will get his 9 wins I have zero doubt, then his delusional defenders can pound their chests about his meaningless winning streak.

The standard is mediocrity.

At least another former Steeler is being honest:

I was surprised to hear Clark criticize Tomlin at all, so credit where credit is due, but he also says "Of course he should not be fired".

Joe Rutter
@tribjoerutter
·
2h

T.J. Watt was experiencing symptoms and now has been placed in concussion protocol, per Steelers spokesman Burt Lauten.
Doubt it. It was just a jaw injury. They checked it on the sideline.

Reactions: Pens x

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was surprised to hear Clark criticize Tomlin at all, so credit where credit is due, but he also says "Of course he should not be fired".

Doubt it. It was just a jaw injury. They checked it on the sideline.

I’d never expect Clark to say he should be fired - he’s way too close to Tomlin for that.

But admitting the truth about Tomlin is a positive step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, the only way there is meaningful change is if they go 0-6 down the stretch.

There is zero chance that happens - for all of Tomlin’s faults, he isn’t bad enough for that.

He’s the master of mediocrity and will find a way.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
He isn’t getting fired the entire staff will be overhauled. The new oc will decide on Kp
Hopefully MT looks good against the bottom 7 defenses he plays the next 3 weeks to get his stock up so they’ll trade him. Cutting Robinson Restructuring of Highsmith and Watt are going to free up money for Khan. Chucks will be gone

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I’d never expect Clark to say he should be fired - he’s way too close to Tomlin for that.

But admitting the truth about Tomlin is a positive step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, the only way there is meaningful change is if they go 0-6 down the stretch.

There is zero chance that happens - for all of Tomlin’s faults, he isn’t bad enough for that.

He’s the master of mediocrity and will find a way.
I don't think he will be fired, but I dunno. Things definitely feel different this time. Pretty much the entire Pittsburgh media is calling for him to be fired and pretty much the entire national media (minus Rich Eisen) is criticizing him. This has never happened before. I think it's unlikely, but there's at least an ounce of hope this time.

I don't think he would ever be 'fired', though. There would be a 'mutual parting of ways' or he he 'retires' or something like that. The dream would obviously be to trade him.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He isn’t getting fired the entire staff will be overhauled. The new oc will decide on Kp
Hopefully MT looks good against the bottom 7 defenses he plays the next 3 weeks to get his stock up so they’ll trade him. Cutting Robinson Restructuring of Highsmith and Watt are going to free up money for Khan. Chucks will be gone

The new OC isn’t deciding on KP.

KP will get a minimum of one more season, and their new OC will likely be an internal hire because that’s what Tomlin does.

In the off chance AR2 grows some stones and hires one himself, the nee KC will have zero say in if KP stays or goes.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think he will be fired, but I dunno. Things definitely feel different this time. Pretty much the entire Pittsburgh media is calling for him to be fired and pretty much the entire national media (minus Rich Eisen) is criticizing him. This has never happened before. I think it's unlikely, but there's at least an ounce of hope this time.

I don't think he would ever be 'fired', though. There would be a 'mutual parting of ways' or he he 'retires' or something like that. The dream would obviously be to trade him.

Steeler world is like bizarro world, so sadly we have to always keep that in mind.

AR2 is delusional and I 100% believe that.

So about the absolute best we can hope for is AR2 strips Tomlin of some power.

It’s pretty sad and pathetic but AR2 seems to have no rock bottom for how much Tomlin is allowed to keep embarrassing a once proud org.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Saw one of the beat reporters putting at 50-50 he'll be back, because the Steelers won't let him coach next year without an extension but mightn't want to extend him. Not sure I agree with that logic, but I guess see what happens.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The new OC isn’t deciding on KP.

KP will get a minimum of one more season, and their new OC will likely be an internal hire because that’s what Tomlin does.

In the off chance AR2 grows some stones and hires one himself, the nee KC will have zero say in if KP stays or goes.
No OC worth their salt will tie himself to Kp. Andy and Khan didn’t draft him they aren’t forcing the new oc to take Kp

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No OC worth their salt will tie himself to Kp. Andy and Khan didn’t draft him they aren’t forcing the new oc to take Kp

a) This isn't stating the best thing, it's predicting the most likely thing. The Steelers haven't shown any dedication bringing in the best OCs recently, so I don't see how your objection (if true) matters. Them bringing in a mediocre guy is what most of us predict.

b) I'm not sure how true this is anyway. Highly respected offensive minds go to situations with uncertain QB situations. Good chance the pitch to any prospective OC is "here's a three year contract, here's one year to try and fix Pickett, if that doesn't work you've got a voice on the next guy and two years to make that work". How many better pitches are there for prospective OCs any given year?

c) If we're talking unwelcome situations, then I think the prospect of becoming OC for a HC on a hot seat is even more of an issue. Getting fired because a new HC wants his guy is even more likely than getting fired because of the QB you're landed with.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

You are delusional.

No OC coming in has the power to decide who his starting QB will be - that’s the HC call.

Any true OC worth his salt also believes in his offense, or he’s a guy you avoid like the plague.

These guys aren’t stupid, they know Canada was a joke as a coordinator and would be more than willing to work with KP - you think too much like the KP hissy fit fans on here and not like a coach in the NFL that wants to move up.

Media and fans were ready to run Tua out the door and Frank Smith had zero qualms about taking that job.

Tomlin f***ed up beyond belief with Canada.

Barring some catastrophic injury, KP is getting at least another year.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I

You are delusional.

No OC coming in has the power to decide who his starting QB will be - that’s the HC call.

Any true OC worth his salt believes in his offense.

Media and fans were ready to run Tua out the door and Frank Smith had zero qualms about taking that job.

Tomlin f***ed up beyond belief with Canada.

Barring some catastrophic injury, KP is getting at least another year.
Tua had 27 td and 15 interceptions before Frank smith arrived that’s 14 more than KP and 2 more interceptions. He showed actual signs he had 3 300 yard passing games under flores KP has 1.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Tua had 27 td and 15 interceptions before Frank smith arrived that’s 14 more than KP and 2 more interceptions. He showed actual signs he had 3 300 yard passing games under flores KP has 1.

There is zero difference between how Tua was perceived and KP is - Tua was considered a bust and was being run out of town.

That’s already happening with KP.

Once again you think like a hissy fit throwing KP detractor who loses their shit over every mistake, you don’t think like a professional coach.

A coach coming in for the OC job doesn’t have that panic stricken, hissy fit attitude.

He’ll see a young offense with potential to be good, and think “well shit, if I can just make KP and this offense not a laughingstock, I’ll get noticed!”

Any coach worth his salt will want that challenge so he can get a HC job.

He will be coming to a historical franchise and following the worst OC in their history - so all he has to do is be competent at his job and it will make him look like a genius.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think this is a win-win position for an OC in terms of personnel. Rescue Pickett's career and you're made, fail and you probably get a shot with your own guy. The weapons room is interesting if flawed and I imagine the OL will get reinforced again.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
There is zero difference between how Tua was perceived and KP is - Tua was considered a bust and was being run out of town.

That’s already happening with KP.

Once again you think like a hissy fit throwing KP detractor who loses their shit over every mistake, you don’t think like a professional coach.

A coach coming in for the OC job doesn’t have that panic stricken, hissy fit attitude.

He’ll see a young offense with potential to be good, and think “well shit, if I can just make KP and this offense not a laughingstock, I’ll get noticed!”

Any coach worth his salt will want that challenge so he can get a HC job.

He will be coming to a historical franchise and following the worst OC in their history - so all he has to do is be competent at his job and it will make him look like a genius.
At no point in Tua Flores stint was he the worst Qb in the league at no point was Tua settling historically low td numbers KP. Kp has less td passes than Tommy Devito and 3 more than his backup MT

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
When has a knee to the face ever been known to cause a concussion?
It was more a knee to the jaw from what I remember. Him switching to a tinted visor is very suspicious.

With today's news of him being in protocol, the Steelers and the NFL field medical team should probably be investigated.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
At no point in Tua Flores stint was he the worst Qb in the league at no point was Tua settling historically low td numbers KP. Kp has less td passes than Tommy Devito and 3 more than his backup MT

Never mind man, you think like a hissy fit throwing KP mouth breather, so there’s no way you’ll ever grasp what I explained to you.

• Haha

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Never mind man, you think like a hissy fit throwing KP mouth breather, so there’s no way you’ll ever grasp what I explained to you.
As an oc you have to watch tape and say what does KP do well. If he has a 100 percent clean pocket and knows exactly who to throw it do he can make the throw. Anytime a team shows any pressure or any zone he is lost. By now he should have 1 wow game that shows his talent

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It was more a knee to the jaw from what I remember. Him switching to a tinted visor is very suspicious.

With today's news of him being in protocol, the Steelers and the NFL field medical team should probably be investigated.

Each sideline has someone not affiliated with the team to check for concussions so I don’t think this a Steelers medical team issue. If he/she says he can’t play the team cannot overrule. I am just going to speculate that he just woke up feeling worse on Friday.
Hopefully he will be ready to go next weekend.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Each sideline has someone not affiliated with the team to check for concussions so I don’t think this a Steelers medical team issue. If he/she says he can’t play the team cannot overrule. I am just going to speculate that he just woke up feeling worse on Friday.
Is it like the NHL where if the spotter pulls them, they have no choice? I don't know if he missed time because I wasn't stupid enough to watch the game.

However, if you have to put a visor on to go back in after getting hit in the jaw/face/head, it seems like common sense to me that there's probably a bigger issue at hand. If he really wants to get CTE playing for a crappy team, more power to him I guess.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Saying the Steelers medical team is not the issue is just silly. He was using smelling salts minutes in to the game and then switched to a tinted visor. I don't really know how many more symptoms you need to sit a guy out of precaution. I hope like hell that they don't just use the outside team to diagnose concussions. That seems like a system designed to fail.

I guess the league, and the teams, really don't care. They'll just settle the next lawsuit and sweep it all under the rug again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad