OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Blamed Canada

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's the key. They don't move shrewdly, though Khan has shown more shark in him than Colbert did in 20 years.

I don't know what team makes that move either, but I don't think there would be any shortage of takers.

This ain't Khan's move. It's Rooney's, and Goalie Bob just gave the quote on why I ain't seeing it happen.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think this current OC tandem is drastically better than what was here. What has come out about Canada and how he was running this offense and coaching staff is really damning, to be honest. I think Kenny is very comfortable with Sully, I think they understand his limitations. Is this the ideal situation? No, but until there is a legit search and hire, this is better than before, and though some of the old playbook does exist, I think Kenny has a bit more freedom under Sully.

Kenny needs to take what is given to him, and this year he has left entirely too much meat on the bone, even the staunchest Kenny supporter would tell you that.
I think KP does obviously have limitations, and yeah the staff probably gets them, but I disagree on the approach. I think your macro message to him is not "take what is given to you" but rather "here's what we want you to go get, now go get it." And then coach him with that in mind.

Reactions: Peat and JTG

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
And you would write the same article about Brock Purdy if he was the qb for the Steelers or Pats.
Yes, all QB's are fungible and it doesn't matter at all what skill sets they have BECAUSE STOP YELLING AT POOR KENNY.

FFS. Yes, Purdy is in a great spot. He's also 100x more accurate, processes faster, and deals with pressure way better than Pickett does. It's the situation AND the player.

Last edited:
Reactions: T1K

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I - and most others - are not sticking up for Pickett's talent first and foremost. We are first and foremost against what this team does to help QBs. That is the team's major problem, and all resources necessary should be spent on fixing that before anything else.
Not suggesting you're speaking for me but in this case you could be. No sense bringing in Fields. If the team is going to provide better resources to improve a flawed (and possibly broken) QB - which is what Fields is - it might as well be Pickett. Likewise, if the team is not, Fields will suffer (and has suffered) the same fate as Pickett.

If the plan is simply Kenny's not good but we're not going to coach up a guy, then you go ahead and bring in another guy, but it can't be Fields. It has to be a guy who doesn't need coached up.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Yes, all QB's are fungible and it doesn't matter at all what skill sets they have BECAUSE STOP YELLING AT POOR KENNY.

FFS. Yes, Purdy is in a great spot. He's also 100x more accurate, processes faster, and deals with pressure way better than Pickett does. It's the situation AND the player.

Laughing at made up stats. I've watched SF 5 games this season. The number of free rushers bringing heat on Purdy are rare to non existent. He also has plays with the most weapons in the NFL and he has one of the top 3 offensive coaches in league. Ignore my point, but if you believe Purdy is anywhere near what he is with the Steelers as he is at SF, cool. It's your right to believe whatever fairytale your heart desires. I on the other hand live in a place call reality.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Laughing at made up stats. I've watched SF 5 games this season. The number of free rushers bringing heat on Purdy are rare to non existent. He also has plays with the most weapons in the NFL and he has one of the top 3 offensive coaches in league. Ignore my point, but if you believe Purdy is anywhere near what he is with the Steelers as he is at SF, cool. It's your right to believe whatever fairytale your heart desires. I on the other hand live in a place call reality.
And if you believe Pickett steps into SF's offense is an MVP candidate, you're beyond delusion. Again, it's BOTH the situation and the player.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Purdy process so fastcit doesn’t matter
I used to think KP could wirk in a Miami system with RPo and throwing on time and to a spot but he doesn’t anticipate well. He still struggles with nfl open and hasn’t adjusted from when he had 3.4 seconds in college where he gets 2.3 in the nfl
Processing and anticipation are the most important thing for a successful QB jones at least showed some traits his rookie year KP is a poor man’s zack willson

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think KP does obviously have limitations, and yeah the staff probably gets them, but I disagree on the approach. I think your macro message to him is not "take what is given to you" but rather "here's what we want you to go get, now go get it." And then coach him with that in mind.

I agree with you. He is not seeing the field. He didn't see the field well at Pitt until his senior year. As I've said, I can see us having a real awkward showdown with Kenny in his 4th year because I think he's going to show continual progression, but we are going sit there after year 4 and really ponder whether to give him a 2nd contract or not. I hope he proves me wrong and it's a slam dunk, but a bridge deal is probably the best thing for both side as I think it's going to take him 2 more years to reach his full comfort which will have him reach what he's going to be.

The big differences between Purdy and Pickett are that Purdy has WRs that can catch the ball in traffic and pick up yards, and he's so unbelievably good at dropping and getting it out. It would help any QB to have a HOF LT and the best RB in the league though. Purdy definitely executes his offense much better than Kenny has to date.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Thanks for letting us know how many SF games you’ve watched this year….

It’s no secret that Purdy is a perfect scheme fit for SF. That’s the first thing his detractors point out. People said the same thing about Tom Brady too.

You’re the one talking about fairy tales where Purdy plays for a different team. That’s not grounded in reality at all.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agree with you. He is not seeing the field. He didn't see the field well at Pitt until his senior year. As I've said, I can see us having a real awkward showdown with Kenny in his 4th year because I think he's going to show continual progression, but we are going sit there after year 4 and really ponder whether to give him a 2nd contract or not. I hope he proves me wrong and it's a slam dunk, but a bridge deal is probably the best thing for both side as I think it's going to take him 2 more years to reach his full comfort which will have him reach what he's going to be.

The big differences between Purdy and Pickett are that Purdy has WRs that can catch the ball in traffic and pick up yards, and he's so unbelievably good at dropping and getting it out. It would help any QB to have a HOF LT and the best RB in the league though. Purdy definitely executes his offense much better than Kenny has to date.

Ya, Purdy didn’t look so hot when his weapons were out - I recall some articles calling him a fluke during that losing streak.

Still sticking to my guns from this summer that he’s a Brady lite type story.

The disconnect on Tomlin between local fans and national media is that the national media sees the 'never had a losing season' (which we mock, but it is pretty impressive) despite major flaws and think he's a genius. Local fans see that Tomlin is the root of those flaws.

Just heard an unreal stat that Tomlin could be only one of three coaches in the last 40 yrs to not win a playoff game in seven straight years and keep their job.

Basically he could never be this bad at his job with another franchise and survive.

He’s even being praised for it, it’s like bizarro world.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think at this point I would rather KP just sit out the rest of the season even when he is deemed healthy. The guy could probably use the extra healing time anyway.
The national media loves Tomlin. I don’t think he’s a terrible coach but I think his voice in the room has gotten stale. It’s just the nature of things. I know they will never fire him. He will go out on his own terms.

Reactions: Factorial

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
If we can trade Tomlin, I’d be 100% in. I don’t think it’s a very realistic scenario, but he would certainly garner plenty of interest.

The Steelers HC job is very prestigious and I don’t think they’d have a problem finding good candidates, unlike our coordinators.

Reactions: TNT87

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If we can trade Tomlin, I’d be 100% in. I don’t think it’s a very realistic scenario, but he would certainly garner plenty of interest.

The Steelers HC job is very prestigious and I don’t think they’d have a problem finding good candidates, unlike our coordinators.
He can be traded like Peyton did to Denver however unless you get Ben Johnson Tomlin the best guy on the market the rest are unproven

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Peyton and a 3rd went to Denver for a 1st in current year 2nd next year. Almost worth signing Tomlin to a lifetime contract because some team would be stupid enough to give us whatever we wanted.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
As unproven as Mike Tomlin was in 2007?
He did have a super bowl ring when he was hired
It will not matter unless Art is willing to pay for real assistant coaches Tomlin makes 12 million a year you need that same amount to stay with ravens coaching staff salary and then you have to invest in more scouts

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
And you would write the same article about Brock Purdy if he was the qb for the Steelers or Pats.

Please. Brock Purdy is in another stratosphere than KP or Jones

Would we see Purdy perform at a lower level if he was on the Steelers? Of course, but not to the depths that we've seen

It will not matter unless Art is willing to pay for real assistant coaches Tomlin makes 12 million a year you need that same amount to stay with ravens coaching staff salary and then you have to invest in more scouts

Poor Tomlin. Dude just cannot catch a break.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I want you to sigb the best offense coaches ever but you allowed 3 million for the entire staff

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I want you to sigb the best offense coaches ever but you allowed 3 million for the entire staff

If my boss gave me a "budget" or allotment of what we could spend on coaches and I am part of that budget, I'd seriously consider giving myself a paycut so my life could be easier and the product that I produce is something I'm proud of.

But that requires a bit of self reflection. Something Tomlin himself admits he doesn't do.

Reactions: Pens x

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If my boss gave me a "budget" or allotment of what we could spend on coaches and I am part of that budget, I'd seriously consider giving myself a paycut so my life could be easier and the product that I produce is something I'm proud of.

But that requires a bit of self reflection. Something Tomlin himself admits he doesn't do.

Easy to say you'd give yourself a pay cut, but harder to do. IMO.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Easy to say you'd give yourself a pay cut, but harder to do. IMO.

So every year we get bonuses and my department is allotted X amount. I get to decide how that money is distributed (including to myself). I could have easily taken more and my bosses wouldn't care, but I believe that keeping quality people is worth more than the few extra thousand in my bank account

You're right, it isn't easy but it's worth it if you care about your department's performance

Reactions: UnrealMachine

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He did have a super bowl ring when he was hired

This narrative you keep spinning that Tomlin’s shitty hires are because AR2 is unwilling to pay for top notch assistants is horse shit.

AR2 was literally paying Butler a coordinators salary to coach LBs for years so he would hang around and be the successor to DL.

Cowher built one of the most impressive coaching trees among his peers while the Steelers played in a run down 3 Rivers and were pinching pennies.

Tomlin isn’t held back by AR2, he’s simply an ego maniac who wants control of everything on the team, and hires his incompetent cronies.

That’s why he’s been in the league 17 years and has not even a single branch on his coaching tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad