OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Blamed Canada

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
People have to stop analyzing the QB in isolation. “Omg Pickett had a pocket this one time and bailed he’s an idiot!” Uh no, having a decent pocket every 4th passing play isn’t going to magically fix the problem.

Also have to stop acting like the QB has your Madden perspective. KP has about 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball before pressure gets to him. He’s not going to see the whole field and doesn’t have the experience yet to make the pre-snap read you see vet QBs make.

Lastly, there is no point in bringing in a bad QB like Fields or an above avg guy coming back from an injury like Cousins. Roll with Pickett. Fix the OL. Add what needs to be added. Then if Pickett doesn’t work out the next guy doesn’t walk into a shit situation personnel-wise. Of course he’ll probably have to overcome a bad coaching staff.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Yup. And tbh, I look at the names that are meant to be more challenging, and don't really see it. Different dogs, same fleas.

I would rather have a shot at drafting a guy like Benton again over Fields. I wouldn't trade Benton for Fields straight up.

But then, from limited glimpses, I don't see any upside to Fields at all. I don't think he was taught to read the game properly in college and I don't think he was taught properly at Chicago and at this point, he's damaged goods that can't be put right.
Running the risk of going down this rabbit hole again, I find it inconsistent to argue that Pickett needs more time because he's not been coached well while we wouldn't want Fields who is broken because he wasn't coached well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would rather have a shot at drafting a guy like Benton again over Fields. I wouldn't trade Benton for Fields straight up.

But then, from limited glimpses, I don't see any upside to Fields at all. I don't think he was taught to read the game properly in college and I don't think he was taught properly at Chicago and at this point, he's damaged goods that can't be put right.

Yeah I think this is totally fair as well. I'm certainly not banging on the table for Fields whatsoever.

I do think they need to add a stronger backup to push Pickett more, but it's just a question of who would be that guy? The free agent market mostly stinks, Cousins is great but his ankle just blew up and everyone else is just another Trubisky caliber guy.

Reactions: Josey Wales

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
I also dont seeing them drafting a qb in round 1 again. Maybe they get lucky and they get the next hurts in a later round.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
People have to stop analyzing the QB in isolation. “Omg Pickett had a pocket this one time and bailed he’s an idiot!” Uh no, having a decent pocket every 4th passing play isn’t going to magically fix the problem.

Also have to stop acting like the QB has your Madden perspective. KP has about 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball before pressure gets to him. He’s not going to see the whole field and doesn’t have the experience yet to make the pre-snap read you see vet QBs make.

Lastly, there is no point in bringing in a bad QB like Fields or an above avg guy coming back from an injury like Cousins. Roll with Pickett. Fix the OL. Add what needs to be added. Then if Pickett doesn’t work out the next guy doesn’t walk into a shit situation personnel-wise. Of course he’ll probably have to overcome a bad coaching staff.

Every NFL QB misses reads
The issue, is that KP has missed a TON of reads and missed receivers this past year to the tune where he's one of the lowest rated QB's

We've got a full season plus of KP on tape and he's consistently shown he can't read zone defenses.

Reactions: T1K

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I think this is totally fair as well. I'm certainly not banging on the table for Fields whatsoever.

I do think they need to add a stronger backup to push Pickett more, but it's just a question of who would be that guy? The free agent market mostly stinks, Cousins is great but his ankle just blew up and everyone else is just another Trubisky caliber guy.

Well I think you have it there. There isn't a better back up than Trubisky. Anyone better than that standard is a starter somewhere.

Which is why I feel nonplussed by the whole "we've got to find a better backup". If Trubisky isn't enough of a push, then I don't see the backup push doing anything. To me it feels like "we must do something, this is something, lets do this".

I guess the one difference replacing Trubisky makes is it creates a different mentality, even if it isn't actually much of an upgrade.

Even then, I'm skeptical. Nobody has faulted Pickett's work ethic, so I don't think it's going to make him work significantly harder. Either he's got it or he hasn't, and the only there I see making a difference is the standard of teaching.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Question regarding game 2; Do you think either current OC would be considered above the line for their position in the NFL community?

I think this current OC tandem is drastically better than what was here. What has come out about Canada and how he was running this offense and coaching staff is really damning, to be honest. I think Kenny is very comfortable with Sully, I think they understand his limitations. Is this the ideal situation? No, but until there is a legit search and hire, this is better than before, and though some of the old playbook does exist, I think Kenny has a bit more freedom under Sully.

Kenny needs to take what is given to him, and this year he has left entirely too much meat on the bone, even the staunchest Kenny supporter would tell you that.

I also dont seeing them drafting a qb in round 1 again. Maybe they get lucky and they get the next hurts in a later round.

This is the draft a really good QB could fall. High quality, high pedigree prospects and there are like 8 of them. If Quinn Ewers is there in the 2nd or 3rd round...that would be impossible to pass up, I think, and he very well may be there. This draft is really outstanding, I think. I'd love to see Khan get some extra picks.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
To put in context of how good this draft could be -

QB - I think 6-8 are top 64 potential

WR - Harrison and Nabers are legit #1 WR from the word go.

T - Two franchise caliber LTs with extended results in college in Joe Alt and Olu Fashanu. Two MONSTERS at RT who could also be franchise caliber guys in Fuaga and Latham.

Edge - 3 or 4 could be in the 20 top.

DB - Strong and versatile class. Safeties are much more box, nickel type guys v. the cover guys. I love Nubin.

LB - Insanely weak.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Quinn Ewers is expected to go back to college next year. Probably because his people told him he doesn’t project to be a 1st rounder. If he balls out in the CFP, there’s a chance he gets into the 1st round discussion.

I’d much rather draft Ewers than Nix or Penix, but I’m skeptical the Steelers would actually make a move like that. They’re going to give the hometown kid so many more chances before they take the L.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And to be honest, it's probably worth Khan's time to try to find a quality QB to trade for if Kenny doesn't work out. This defense doesn't have time to wait for a QB to develop.

Quinn Ewers is expected to go back to college next year. Probably because his people told him he doesn’t project to be a 1st rounder. If he balls out in the CFP, there’s a chance he gets into the 1st round discussion.

I’d much rather draft Ewers than Nix or Penix, but I’m skeptical the Steelers would actually make a move like that. They’re going to give the hometown kid so many more chances before they take the L.
They are going to give him chances because he's cheap, and they have invested a lot of time into him. When he stops being cheap is when they will move on.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Mike Tomlin will never be let go from Pittsburgh, though he should be. If he coaches again somewhere else, I do not think he will experience any great success. He didn't wreck the Ferrari when he got here, and when the last remnants of that regime were gone, the team was nothing but lackluster.

He just refuses to hire coordinators.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't want to draft another QB solely because I have no confidence that this team would be able to develop a drafted QB.

I just honestly don't see a great option with the QBs out there. Cousins just blew up his ankle and I think he's much more immobile than what this team would like out of their QB. Fields is very mobile but he's also very flawed, and the comment about this team not being able to draft a QB also partially applies to him. I think Murray is the best bet considering the combination of mobility and arm talent, but I also think it's fair to ask if a 5'9" QB is big enough to survive the physical division that the AFC North is or if he has the maturity you want out of a team leader. This doesn't really touch on the contract situation, but the NFL salary cap is make believe anyway. Beyond those 3, none of the other options are even better than Trubisky.

I'd probably go Murray and just hope that Garrett doesn't murder him when he sacks him. But you're probably paying your 1st this year for Murray in a trade, while LT seems to be a big enough issue that I'm iffy on just using that 1st on a new QB.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
To put in context of how good this draft could be -

QB - I think 6-8 are top 64 potential

WR - Harrison and Nabers are legit #1 WR from the word go.

T - Two franchise caliber LTs with extended results in college in Joe Alt and Olu Fashanu. Two MONSTERS at RT who could also be franchise caliber guys in Fuaga and Latham.

Edge - 3 or 4 could be in the 20 top.

DB - Strong and versatile class. Safeties are much more box, nickel type guys v. the cover guys. I love Nubin.

LB - Insanely weak.

I don't follow CFB /draft that much but there is no way in hell the Steelers take a QB before R4 this draft

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
First does Art agree to open the check book. If he does then Andy and Khan will take care if the offensive coaches. This us really a Feanklin thing at penn state he was given a blank check to find the hc of the offense he did that.
I don’t think they pay Kirk 35 million a year or do i think Arizona eats that much money on the contract of Kyle.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't follow CFB /draft that much but there is no way in hell the Steelers take a QB before R4 this draft

I don't think they take a QB until next year, at the very earliest. I am just saying, there is going to be value there this year if all of these guys come out...which most of the underclassmen probably wont, including Ewers.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Arch Manning, and if he stays in Texas if Ewers stays. It could shake things up in a big way if he transfers. It has been rumored that Ohio State would be a potential landing spot for him to be an immediate starter.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I don't think they take a QB until next year, at the very earliest. I am just saying, there is going to be value there this year if all of these guys come out...which most of the underclassmen probably wont, including Ewers.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Arch Manning, and if he stays in Texas if Ewers stays. It could shake things up in a big way if he transfers. It has been rumored that Ohio State would be a potential landing spot for him to be an immediate starter.
What a bag fumble that would be by Texas if Manning transfers, but that would probably mean Maalik Murphy will stick around and wait his turn. I know Sark is close with Manning and he was a big reason why he went there — is it possible they tell Ewers to kick rocks and play his last season elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad