GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: The Steelers out-stupid the Raiders!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hot take, I know, but I don't think we win another game this season.

Patriots and Saints are playing for top seeding. They won't **** around with us. They both blow us out.

And I predict that many of our star offensive players, including Ben, will probably be hurt and choose not to play against Cinci - since it will be for nothing anyways. And Cinci has their fun with us.

And another hot take: Tomlin won't be fired. Ever. For any reason. He's a "Rooney Rule" hire. End of discussion imo.

I've said before that Cowher had 3 non-playoff years in a row before his seat got modestly warm. He didn't have Roethlisberger, but I don't think that will matter. Like you, I'm hard pressed to envision Tomlin being held to a less patient standard.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010

Can someone translate this for me?

hM6N3gp.png

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If Cowher stuck around. Does this team win a SB from 2011-2018?

Tomlin hasn't done jack shit ever since all the top end Defensive players left, who...were drafted or brought in by Cowher.

Tomlin can't draft on D. Cowher could.

Did Cowher ever not have a good D?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pffft. Where was you're wife when the Steelers went up 21-17? Was she prophetic like me about there being too much time on the clock? :sarcasm:

She knows Mike Tomlin coaches them... we’ve been together since he became their coach... she knows what he’s about and has asked me why he doesn’t get fired... before she went out today she saw it was in Oakland and they were also 2-9 and she said “isn’t this like a perfect setup for a Tomlin special game? You should just go skating...”

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
You know what's always bugged me the most about Tomlin? It's how he treats the local media at times.

The majority of this city's sports media have routinely been some of the biggest suck-ups you could possibly ask for if you're anyone of authority in the town's sports teams. They've been that for the Pirates my whole life, they were like that for Bylsma (who remembers the lashing the team received by certain people in the media after they dared to fire Bylsma who had never missed the playoffs?), and they've been that for Tomlin his entire career.

Pittsburgh is no Toronto, this town's media will deify you as the second coming as long as you're friendly enough with them to fill their articles/radio segments/tv talk shows with fluff.

And yet despite how cushy the media relations have been to him his entire tenure here, how far they've bent over backwards to defend him in the past, he'll still go out there for press conferences and stare down anyone with a question even remotely close to a possible criticism, brush it off with some curt arrogant dismissal like it was barely worth the brief acknowledgement he was gracious enough to bestow upon it, then top it off with one of his myriad catch-phrases to sound smart while being entirely without substance.

He's never had to answer for anything actually confrontational his entire career in this town, and yet he acts like we're lucky to have him.

That's what's never made sense to me about him. He should try coaching in New York, Boston, Philly, etc. and experience what being held to your own standards actually feels like.

Remember when by their own admission they judged themselves by championships? Cause I don't, they haven't in a while.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I don't think I've ever experienced a three game losing streak as a fan, in any sport, quite like this one. It's stunning how they have lost in the final moments and how they got to those positions in the first place.

Reactions: Rossi Rat

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@MurrKess3081, another update on the Tomlin and Roethlisberger story that is going to be LIT all week . . .

Looks like the bus just rolled over Tomlin . . . :laugh:

Joke aside, it sounds like Roethlisberger said 'I can go if you decide that need me' and Tomlin decided he didn't need him until the Steelers were down 17-14.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The clown show is the clown show.

Oh, it's going to be LIT this week.

I've read through the lines on everything. It sounds like Roethlisberger told Tomlin at halftime that he could go IF Tomlin decided that he needed him

And my SUSPICION is that Tomlin figured with a 4 point lead and the defense holding up after that opening TD drive that he didn't want to risk Roethlisberger exacerbating the injury with New England next week.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
@MurrKess3081, another update on the Tomlin and Roethlisberger story that is going to be LIT all week . . .

Joke aside, it sounds like Roethlisberger said 'I can go if you decide that need me' and Tomlin decided he didn't need him until the Steelers were down 17-14.

Honestly with as arrogant and stupid as Tomlin is it wouldn’t surprise me if it was his call. It also wouldn’t surprise me if Ben wanted to be the hero and ride in like a knight in shining Armour.... regardless of the reasoning it’s a huge issue either way.... will it be as LIT as JuJu?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
She knows Mike Tomlin coaches them... we’ve been together since he became their coach... she knows what he’s about and has asked me why he doesn’t get fired... before she went out today she saw it was in Oakland and they were also 2-9 and she said “isn’t this like a perfect setup for a Tomlin special game? You should just go skating...”

Oh bless her heart. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly with as arrogant and stupid as Tomlin is it wouldn’t surprise me if it was his call. It also wouldn’t surprise me if Ben wanted to be the hero and ride in like a knight in shining Armour.... regardless of the reasoning it’s a huge issue either way

I am 100% certain that Ben wanted to be the hero. BUT, whatever his motives, it's pretty clear he told Tomlin at halftime 'I can go if you need me' and Tomlin decided he didn't need him until he had no choice.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
You know what's always bugged me the most about Tomlin? It's how he treats the local media at times.

The majority of this city's sports media have routinely been some of the biggest suck-ups you could possibly ask for if you're anyone of authority in the town's sports teams. They've been that for the Pirates my whole life, they were like that for Bylsma (who remembers the lashing the team received by certain people in the media after they dared to fire Bylsma who had never missed the playoffs?), and they've been that for Tomlin his entire career.

Pittsburgh is no Toronto, this town's media will deify you as the second coming as long as you're friendly enough with them to fill their articles/radio segments/tv talk shows with fluff.

And yet despite how cushy the media relations have been to him his entire tenure here, how far they've bent over backwards to defend him in the past, he'll still go out there for press conferences and stare down anyone with a question even remotely close to a possible criticism, brush it off with some curt arrogant dismissal like it was barely worth the brief acknowledgement he was gracious enough to bestow upon it, then top it off with one of his myriad catch-phrases to sound smart while being entirely without substance.

He's never had to answer for anything actually confrontational his entire career in this town, and yet he acts like we're lucky to have him.

That's what's never made sense to me about him. He should try coaching in New York, Boston, Philly, etc. and experience what being held to your own standards actually feels like.

Remember when by their own admission they judged themselves by championships? Cause I don't, they haven't in a while.

Yeah, but like “who could they get to replace him?”

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I am 100% certain that Ben wanted to be the hero. BUT, whatever his motives, it's pretty clear he told Tomlin at halftime 'I can go if you need me' and Tomlin decided he didn't need him until he had no choice.

The more I think about it the more I think you make a good point about preventing further damage so that he wasn’t as banged up for the Patriots next week and only told him to go in to try and cover for Tomlin not knowing how to make a simple hand signal to stop the clock

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, but like “who could they get to replace him?”

I'm not sure that matters anymore.

EDIT: Unless the minority owners push the point successfully (doubt it) or Roethlisberger pulls a 'me or him' Rogers on McCarthy move (doubt he does, but it's the only chance of change . . . maybe), Tomlin will be the coach next year.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Ha...again..this is what Ive been waiting for. So many of our losses were fans complaining about what was really going on.

Took something as big as this for the media to notice Tomlin being a moron

Step in right direction.. And this a year after his interview with Dungy. That hasnt been forgotten. Especially if we miss playoffs. Go from being favorites(basically beating the Pats..that JJ catch forced a rule change) from never even gettting to face them again and then missing the playoffs?

Reactions: KIRK

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hey @Mr Jiggyfly . . .

Looks like next week we'll have LB's on Patriots wideouts only every other play instead of every play.

He says the dumbest shit and the Rooney’s gobble it up.

He reminds me of that shyster lawyer from Seinfeld... Jackie Chiles.

Tries to use a bunch of big words and hopes no one will figure out he’s a fraud.

Guess it’s worked all this time so might as well keep up the act.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The more I think about it the more I think you make a good point about preventing further damage so that he wasn’t as banged up for the Patriots next week and only told him to go in to try and cover for Tomlin not knowing how to make a simple hand signal to stop the clock

I think also you could tell he was in discomfort throwing the ball. Everything was short on the last drive EXCEPT the pass to JJSS. And, the hook and ladder was a short pass.

The MISTAKE here is Tomlin needed to treat this one as the must win. If it meant no Ben next week, so be it . . . 2-2 probably would've been good enough as a finish to make the playoffs. NOW, you need 2-1 . . . with Pats, at Saints, Bengals as the last 3 games. IMO, they're done. It's over.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh

If I'm reading that right, it will cost the Steelers more next year against the cap to cut Boswell than to keep him. :biglaugh:

Steelers have bungled this roster. From Bell to Boswell to the inside linebacker position.

Maybe they will fix it all by drafting some more QBs in win-now years.

Force Boswell to block on kick offs. Let him get run over and get hurt. Put him on IR. Sign a new kicker. Boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad