OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Super Bowl 50

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Totally agree. They need to go all in and if they are in cap hell a few years from now then so be it.

There is no doubt that Allen is gone. They cut bait with Woodley and will do the same with Allen. And they will be free of Woodley's and Polamalu's contract. So they will free up a bunch of money. This past season they had 19.5 mil in dead cap. For 2016 season, so far, they have 765k. They will have the room to cut Allen and Suisham.

I think they will resign Gay if he is willing to sign a reasonable contract. Like the same as what he makes now, which is 1.5mil. Maybe 2 years, 1.5mil each. He is 31 and only a serviceable nickel or backup. He isn't gonna get many offers.

Boykin will be gone because of the way he was handled by the Steelers. He won't want to stick around.

I think the Steelers are certainly primed to go out and make a splash in Free Agency for a capable CB. Just like they did with Farrior and Hartings back in the day. They won't go crazy but there are certainly plenty of capable corners available. And one of them will jump at the chance to join a team that is so close to a championship.

Except a lot of that is tied up in raises already (Ben, Timmons, Decastro, AB).

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
So you honestly believe Brady, who could possibly go down as the greatest QB ever, is a product of Belichick's system, that's all...?

Am I getting that right?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Sign Pacman, welcome with open arms, then have James Harrison Debo him during training camp, then cut. EPIC offseason

that would be one way to protect your wr. :) I would be happy if we got a corner bigger than the midgets we seem to love.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
That-- and frankly going after any impact corner or even a legit starting corner-- in free agency would be a 180 on how the team operates.

But, they really need to do it, because an impact corner would change everything defensively for this team.

They have to start making smart moves in free agency. We're out of cap hell. We have guys making big bucks who will restructure (Ben and Timmons mostly). We don't have much dead money, and we don't have any really hideous contracts.

Now is the time to find that corner coming out of a rookie contract who is in line for a huge raise. Give him big guaranteed money, and sign him for 5-7 years.

Bringing in an impact corner/safety changes the complexion of t his defense entirely. We have a young, up and coming from 7. We need to bring a secondary in behind them. Golson helps. Gay moving to the slot helps. Mitchell is serviceable even though he's a moron. Another safety to play center field, and a shutdown corner makes this a top 5 defense in the league.

The Steelers are likely to do what they usually do and that's keep their own (re-sign Gay), get Golson healthy and draft another CB fairly high in the draft. I do agree that it would be nice to see the Steelers cut bait with Cortez Allen, Brandon Boykin and possibly William Gay (if he wants too much money) and sign a legit starting CB or two in UFA. This team is close and they need to make a strong push to win one more Super Bowl in the final few years of Big Ben's prime. They are a team that needs to be all in for the next few years.

I think with how this team is set up right now, the can make a run for the next 5 years. I'd like to see them win it all at least once.

We have a top 5 QB, the top RB in the league, the top WR in the league, a very solid, steady, and deep offensive line. If we can sign/draft/develop a NT, we have two elite 3-4 ends. We have two of the most athletic MLB's in the league. Question marks are Dupree and Jones. I think Jones has proven in the 2nd half of the season to be very serviceable. He probably won't be a pro bowler, but you don't need him to be really. If we can get 6-8 sacks from him a season, that's fine. I think with the help of Porter, Dupree can be a difference maker. He just needs to learn the nuances of the game. We'll see how he looks in camp.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I love LeBeau, but I don't think his defense is able to be successful in today's NFL.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Now is the time to find that corner coming out of a rookie contract who is in line for a huge raise. Give him big guaranteed money, and sign him for 5-7 years.

Is Janoris the obvious target? I don't know enough about the couple of Chiefs and Texans to know, or Jeremy Lane from Seattle. Beyond that it's scouting, which is why I'm a dope on a message board and the Steelers employ professional scouts.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'm confused.

Wasn't he already the defensive coordinator this past season?

I thought Ray Horton was. LeBeau was an advisor or some ****.

Edit - from their site:

Dick LeBeau will return to Mike Mularkey's staff in 2016, as assistant head coach/defensive coordinator.

Keeping LeBeau is a big development for the Titans. A year ago, the Titans finished the season ranked 12th overall in total defense, allowing 342.2 yards per game. It was a big improvement from the year before, when the Titans finished 27th overall in total defense, allowing 373.0 yards per contest.

A year ago, LeBeau served as assistant head coach/defense, when he was in charge of the defense while working with long-time protégé Ray Horton, who served as defensive coordinator.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I thought Ray Horton was. LeBeau was an advisor or some ****.

Edit - from their site:

Assistant head coach/defense? Never heard of that one before. :laugh:

Guess DL wasn't 100% sure he wanted to continue as a DC after leaving the Steelers.

I just assumed he was the DC when he went to Nashville.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think the reason Horton went to Cleveland is because even though he was the DC by title, LeBeau was really the one running things on the Titans defense.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Is Janoris the obvious target? I don't know enough about the couple of Chiefs and Texans to know, or Jeremy Lane from Seattle. Beyond that it's scouting, which is why I'm a dope on a message board and the Steelers employ professional scouts.

I really don't know enough about the corners out there. I don't watch enough NFL these days to make these observations.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
why does everyone seem to hate Peyton Manning?

Only having one ring is a disappointment for a lot of people and his overall playoff record is also trash. It is easy to BM him because of this.

He was the best QB of the last decade, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad