OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Super Bowl 50

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
They should stay far away from Hackenberg. Non-athletic and inaccurate isn't a good combination.

Yet I hear he is one of the QBs expected to go in the first couple of rnds. I don't follow Penn State much anymore so I'm just going off what I have read. I haven't even seen the kid play this year.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Exactly. I keep hearing about that kid from Penn State. If he drops to us in the 2nd rnd you have to give some serious consideration to taking him. I doubt he will get that far though. From what I understand he is probably the most NFL ready QB in the draft.

Hackenburg may be the worst major college qb I have ever watched... Hot garbage. Slow with mechanics and terrible accuracy.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Last time the Steelers took a CB in Round 1 was what....Chad Scott? So yeah, I certainly don't expect them to take one, but I can always hope they will.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I'd be inclined to agree.

Firstly, for Big Ben or Brady taken mid-late in the first round there have been 20 failures. When Ben is done we will take a hit, no two ways about it. We had to suck to get to Ben originally, remember. It's better to suck and grab your Franchise QB in my opinion based upon the second condition

Secondly, you know what you have in Ben and you know that if your surround him with talent he will win you a Super Bowl. QB is the most important, and most valuable position in all of professional sports. This team is a couple tweaks from being the NFL favorite. We have to do all we can to try and win again in these next three years. Football is a sport where good schemes and coaching matter just as much as personnel: save with QB.

QB is what wins championships. We gotta make the tweaks and get another one.

We did take a hit before. It was called the 80's. The Steelers waited too long and rode Bradshaw until he blew out his elbow. You may be fine with a decade of losing but I lived it and no way am I okay with another 10 yrs of sucktitude.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
A QB's success is even more dependent on coaching than the rest of the roster.

Only bad and average QB's. You can scheme a system for Trent Dilfer and win some games if you have a decent team; a Super Bowl? Well that happens maybe once every 20 years.... An elite QB makes plays that win a game, not manage one.

Ben, Manning, Brady, Rodgers.... they win you games despite the scheme.

Next season give Ben a healthy running game and a good defense and this team wins 12 games minimum and makes it to the AFC championship.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
We did take a hit before. It was called the 80's. The Steelers waited too long and rode Bradshaw until he blew out his elbow. You may be fine with a decade of losing but I lived it and no way am I okay with another 10 yrs of sucktitude.

Ya, and we had Dan Marino on our board and didn't draft him.... This organization was remarkably hesitant to pull the trigger on QB's after Malone.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Last time the Steelers took a CB in Round 1 was what....Chad Scott? So yeah, I certainly don't expect them to take one, but I can always hope they will.

The CB worthy of a 1st rnd pick are going to go high in the rnd. If we grab a CB at the 25# we are reaching. I wouldn't mind grabbing a safety though. Either the kid from USC or OSU would be a good choice.

But its the Steelers so I fully expect the next LB/DE.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Only bad and average QB's. You can scheme a system for Trent Dilfer and win some games if you have a decent team; a Super Bowl? Well that happens maybe once every 20 years.... An elite QB makes plays that win a game, not manage one.

Ben, Manning, Brady, Rodgers.... they win you games despite the scheme.

Next season give Ben a healthy running game and a good defense and this team wins 12 games minimum and makes it to the AFC championship.

Brady is the perfect example of a system making an average qb look great.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
What was Ben supposed to do differently yesterday? He threw for over 300 yards, he made good reads and didn't turn the ball over. It was not Ben who decided to call nothing but screens and runs up the middle for 2 quarters of the game in the name of holding on to a 4 point lead.

The coaching staff lost the game. Denver's d could not stop them from getting huge gains and Haley and/or Tomlin decided to play it safe with a small lead instead of trying to blow out the Broncos in the first half. For all of Tomlin's talk about "not living in fears", the Steelers often lose close games because they go into a shell offensively with a small lead.

Ben is one of the best qb's in the NFL. Haley and Tomlin are 2 clueless idiots with jobs they don't deserve at this point. I'm blaming the latter.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
The CB worthy of a 1st rnd pick are going to go high in the rnd. If we grab a CB at the 25# we are reaching. I wouldn't mind grabbing a safety though. Either the kid from USC or OSU would be a good choice.

But its the Steelers so I fully expect the next LB/DE.

I certainly wouldn't mind a safety in the first round. But they passed on some good ones last year, so I don't see why they'd take one this year :laugh:

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Ya, and we had Dan Marino on our board and didn't draft him.... This organization was remarkably hesitant to pull the trigger on QB's after Malone.

Probably one of the biggest draft failures in Steeler history. There was always speculation/rumors as to Rooney not wanting him. We had Marino in our back yard and let him get away. Imagine how many more SB appearances/possible Lombardi's this team has if only we had taken him.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You're out of your ****ing mind.

Nope. But most people can't look deeper than Patriots have a good passing offense/ Patriots win a lot of games = must mean Brady is the reason for their success.

How was Matt Cassell, a QB who shouldn't actually be in the NFL, able to win 11 games with the Patriots in 2008? (Which was actually more than they won the following year with Brady)

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Probably one of the biggest draft failures in Steeler history. There was always speculation/rumors as to Rooney not wanting him. We had Marino in out back yard and let him get away. Imagine how many more SB appearances/possible Lombardi's this team has if only we had taken him.

Yep. The reason we sucked for a bit in the 80's was an overall failure of drafting. We still made the playoffs and even reached a title game in that decade. We didn't lose for ten years. We had some rough years because we made some bad football decisions AND we had some young players. Knoll was also a bit out of his element.

We had Marino, the organization was split roughly even as to whether or not to take him. There was a great article in the post-gazette several years ago on the subject.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Nope. But most people can't look deeper than Patriots have a good passing offense/ Patriots win a lot of games = must mean Brady is the reason for their success.

How was Matt Cassell, a QB who shouldn't actually be in the NFL, able to win 11 games with the Patriots in 2008? (Which was actually more than they won the following year with Brady)

Matt Cassell is average to below average. The Patriots didn't even make the playoffs that season. He actually played better two years later (I think my memory is bad now ha) for the Chiefs.

He certainly should have been in the NFL. He did adequate on decidedly average Chiefs teams

And if the system is better on QB's, so what? Isn't that smart for New England to play to their strengths?

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Speaking of an heir apparent, I would really like to see the team start looking for a TE to eventually replace Miller. With the way this team has transitioned from a heavy running game to a heavy pass attack I thinks its time to start looking for our own Eifert. A big tall pass catching TE would do wonders for our red zone deficiency. I'm not saying we would find our own Gronk, but Miller is getting up there and his effectiveness just isn't the same anymore.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Speaking of an heir apparent, I would really like to see the team start looking for a TE to eventually replace Miller. With the way this team has transitioned from a heavy running game to a heavy pass attack I thinks its time to start looking for our own Eifert. A big tall pass catching TE would do wonders for our red zone deficiency. I'm not saying we would find our own Gronk, but Miller is getting up there and his effectiveness just isn't the same anymore.

Ditto, that's my number one offensive need.

I have organizational needs in priority as;

1) Corner
2) Safety
3) TE
4) ILB

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

I think Jesse James could fill that role eventually.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Yep. The reason we sucked for a bit in the 80's was an overall failure of drafting. We still made the playoffs and even reached a title game in that decade. We didn't lose for ten years. We had some rough years because we made some bad football decisions AND we had some young players. Knoll was also a bit out of his element.

We had Marino, the organization was split roughly even as to whether or not to take him. There was a great article in the post-gazette several years ago on the subject.

We endured the likes of Malone who by the way wasn't even drafted as a QB he was a WR, Stoudt, and Brister just to name a few of the failures. It wasn't until they acquired O'Donnell that the QB darkness shroud was finally beginning to lift and that was what in the mid 90's?

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
We endured the likes of Malone who by the way wasn't even drafted as a QB he was a WR, Stoudt, and Brister just to name a few of the failures. It wasn't until they acquired O'Donnell that the QB darkness shroud was finally beginning to lift and that was what in the mid 90's?

We got O'Donnell in 1990. We were way behind the curb in prioritizing the importance of QB's.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I think Jesse James could fill that role eventually.

It didn't look like the team had much confidence in his play. I was hoping he would have taken Spaeth's spot as the #2. But that could have been because the team felt his blocking wasn't up to par I suppose.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I agree. James surprised me this year with how well he did. I did not expect it.

Neither did I. He made some good offensive plays. I look forward to seeing him develop.

It didn't look like the team had much confidence in his play. I was hoping he would have taken Spaeth's spot as the #2. But that could have been because the team felt his blocking wasn't up to par I suppose.

That's what I think. His offensive skills look good, but I have no idea about his blocking. More time with Munchak will do him well.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
We got O'Donnell in 1990. We were way behind the curb in prioritizing the importance of QB's.

Which didn't make sense then and I don't want to see them make the same mistake again. TB made that offense go and for the life of me I never understood the organization's reluctance to replace him with a true heir apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad