OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Super Bowl 50

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
If a high powered QB falls into your lap at the bottom of the first round I could see it. And it has happened, but not that often. But generally you get them in the range of the top ten picks. Like we did with Rothlisberger. So when Ben finally calls it a day that likely is the time to groom his successor, because the Steelers likely go through a few painful years.

I'd be pretty shocked if they drafted a QB in the first round.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If you're expecting power house numbers from an offense missing that much talent then there's nothing to say because you're asking for something that I don't see as realistic in any way, shape, or form...especially against Denver's #1 ranked defense.

There are a ton of moving parts on a football team, you're not just going to win because your QB makes a ton of money...and even then, the Broncos only allowed 1 QB all season to throw for 300 yards in a game, and Ben did it twice.

Fair enough. But please explain the Cincy game and please offer and explanation against a Baltimore team that was gouged all year.

We shouldn't have even made the playoffs since our offense that was putting up historic numbers, struggled all day against the Ravens. Again, "franchise qb" gets beat by team playing for nothing and a qb that was picked up off of the scrap heap.

Yes our D was lacking that day in B-town, but I expect our "great" offense to then win the Damn game. Instead, Ben played one of his worst games of the year.

Can't critique Ben though..... dude is warrior.

But let me give it a shot. Ben is out of shape. I watched an almost 40 Carson Palmer show more mobility than Ben has the entire year on that big throw to Fitz.
How did Carson accomplish this when he has about a tenth of the athletic ability that Ben has/had? Look at his body, the dude is in perfect shape. Same with Manning, same with Brady. In fact, Brady looks stronger and more athletic than 10 years ago. Then I look at Ben and he has the same frumpy Pittsburgh body I see when I go back to visit the burgh.

Hit the weight room tubby, I'm sure that he can afford a personal trainer with his 22 million dollar salary. Is Ben good, borderline great.... OF COURSE, no one is arguing that point.

CAN BEN BE BETTER??????????????? Just look at his body and compare it to his peers. Ben can be better and needs to be better if the Steelers are to ever again compete for a Lombardi under his tenure.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If a high powered QB falls into your lap at the bottom of the first round I could see it. And it has happened, but not that often. But generally you get them in the range of the top ten picks. Like we did with Rothlisberger. So when Ben finally calls it a day that likely is the time to groom his successor, because the Steelers likely go through a few painful years.

I don't see anyone in this draft class as that guy, though. Goff is the only guaranteed first round QB in the class, and he'll be gone 22+ picks before we come up...unless he absolutely bombs at the combine I really can't see a way Cleveland goes any other way if he's on the board.

If we're going QB then put me on the Carson Wentz bandwagon, but I have a feeling someone will get desperate and draft him in the early 2nd.

But let me give it a shot. Ben is out of shape.

Oh lord.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Cincinnati had the second best scoring defense in the league while the Broncos were the fourth best. The Bengals were just .1 point off from being the top scoring defense in the league. It's not like they faced swiss cheese defenses. How many points did you expect in a driving rain storm with Ben playing three quarters? Ben still passed for over 300 yards against Denver. Still the only QB to do that this season, like Big mentioned, with a bum shoulder and the best WR in the game not playing and no running game. I can't find fault with his performance this postseason.

Please explain the Ravens game then, a game that should have ended the Steelers season by the way. Waiting....

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'd be pretty shocked if they drafted a QB in the first round.

As an example.

Aaron Rodgers was picked around where we draft, despite the Packers having Brett Favre still at his peak. He literally fell into their lap at pick 24. He backed Favre up for three years and then never looked back. IF something like that happened I would not object.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
As an example.

Aaron Rodgers was picked around where we draft, despite the Packers having Brett Favre still at his peak. He literally fell into their lap at pick 24. He backed Favre up for three years and then never looked back. IF something like that happened I would not object.

That's probably more of a one time thing, than a recurring example. The Steelers have much bigger needs to fill than QB right now.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That's probably more of a one time thing, than a recurring example. The Steelers have much bigger needs to fill than QB right now.

Just playing lawyer.

I hate absolute statements, as they are always wrong. ;)

If you read the rest of my comment I basically said that absent some odd situation we should wait until Ben hangs them up, crash and burn and grab our QB of the future with a high pick during the rebuild.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
CB, S, and positions that need depth (QB being one). I think they simply go BPA in the first, unless it's a WR, RB, or QB.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
As an example.

To me, 2-3 years is the most you'd have a potential franchise guy on the bench. I think Ben, assuming the oline continues to offer better protection, has more than that. I think the time to Roll the dice on a QB is a couple years away.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'd rather the AJ McCarron route than heir apparent route. McCarron is not likely a franchise QB but he has played reasonably well and I'd rather that than a retread backup. If Gradkowski is healthy and they want to bring him back fine, but the revolving door of NFL backups doesn't make me feel good.

You could argue that Landry was supposed to be that and they just missed. Fine. Then try again. Third round or something.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm always for taking the BPA. If the BPA in the 2nd round is far and away a QB that we believe could be a starter - I think you take him. I don't conveniently subscribe to that theory. That, or you trade back and pick up more selections.

It just wasn't our year with all the injuries. Proud of the way the team fought through all the adversity though. I thought they may get blown out yesterday but they were in position to win the game up until the fumble. I guess being down to your 3rd or 4th RB was bound to bite them in ass at some point.

The future looks bright though. Big Ben still has a few big years left in him, tons of talent at WR, some good young defenders in Tuitt, Shazier, Heyward etc. They just need to find some secondary help. Maybe they'll finally bite the bullet and nab a DB in round one. A healthy Senquez Golson should help too.

At what point are we not that passive in free agency and we go and spend big money on a corner? We are close enough to start making moves like that. Even in our most successful years, main contributors on that team were free agents or trades - Bettis, Hartings, and Farrior. Key contributors that were not drafted by the Steelers.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
I expect better from a "franchise QB"... Tell me where I'm wrong.

Ben certainly had some bad games this season. He also had some phenomenal games. That's kind of always been the nature of Ben. Sometimes he'll hold onto the ball way to long and take a stupid sack, but sometimes he'll break 3 tackles, scramble out of it and connect for big yards.

Good with the bad I suppose.

I absolutely agree that he didn't show up as well as he could have in a number of games down the stretch. That said, we still made the playoffs (somehow...) and damn near made the AFC Championship on a seriously depleted offensive roster.

So do I want to replace him? Absolutely not.

The Steelers offensive play calling still makes me scratch my head a lot though.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

They did the same thing with Brady. Only they lucked out with a 6th rnd pick instead of a 1st rnd. THAT is more the exception to the rule than how GB got Rodgers who went 24# overall.

QB's in this league need time to groom and learn. You start looking for that heir apparent around 3-4 yrs out from the time your franchise QB is about done. Ben has shown to be more injury prone this year. That doesn't improve with age. If not this draft then 2017 is the time to seriously start looking for his replacement. For those of us that remember and remember well the post TB era, trust me when I say you do not want to go through that.

Last edited:

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
They did the same thing with Brady. Only they lucked out with a 6th rnd pick instead of a 1st rnd. THAT is more the exception to the rule than how GB got Rodgers who went 24# overall.

I don't think they drafted Brady thinking 'this will be our QB of the future', the Packers drafted Rodgers knowing that he'd be their QB of the future.

The instances aren't really comparable, imo.

Edit - I think 2017 would be the more appropriate time to look for Ben's replacement. The team isn't far off from being a legit SB contender, they just need to add a few pieces this offseason.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't think they drafted Brady thinking 'this will be our QB of the future', the Packers drafted Rodgers knowing that he'd be their QB of the future.

Edit - I think 2017 would be the more appropriate time to look for Ben's replacement. The team isn't far off from being a legit SB contender, they just need to add a few pieces this offseason.

It will never be time to draft a QB for most people, until Ben starts ******** the bed. They should start developing a QB in the next 2-3 years. If a guy is there that they really like, they should take him.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

Thats why I said that was the exception to the rule. You draft a QB late in those rnds as depth only. When you find a gem like Brady its like hitting the lottery. But you take that chance. NE happened to hit the lottery. Bledsoe was in his twilight yrs and NE was smart enough to start looking for that replacement a couple of yrs away. Brady was able to learn under Bledsoe. Thats how you groom your next franchise QB. We can't wait till Ben is on his last leg. We did that with Bradshaw and paid DEARLY.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Discounting the injury, Ben played terrible ball the last 6 weeks or so of the season. That is a bit disconcerting.

The team needs two or three players in the secondary and a big inside linebacker. Timmons misses more tackles in the open field than I can remember. They need that big guy to have that jam needed to be a big time unit.

Corner is the number one weakness, ILB is second and we need to draft another tight end as Miller is nearing the end.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Thats why I said that was the exception to the rule. You draft a QB late in those rnds as depth only. When you find a gem like Brady its like hitting the lottery. But you take that chance. NE happened to hit the lottery. Bledsoe was in his twilight yrs and NE was smart enough to start looking for that replacement a couple of yrs away. Brady was able to learn under Bledsoe. Thats how you groom your next franchise QB. We can't wait till Ben is on his last leg. We did that with Bradshaw and paid DEARLY.

If they want to take a QB in the later rounds in this draft, go for it. I don't want to see them waste a first round pick on a QB, when there are greater needs to address.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
It will never be time to draft a QB for most people, until Ben starts ******** the bed. They should start developing a QB in the next 2-3 years. If a guy is there that they really like, they should take him.

Exactly. I keep hearing about that kid from Penn State. If he drops to us in the 2nd rnd you have to give some serious consideration to taking him. I doubt he will get that far though. From what I understand he is probably the most NFL ready QB in the draft.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
If they want to take a QB in the later rounds in this draft, go for it. I don't want to see them waste a first round pick on a QB, when there are greater needs to address.

I'd be inclined to agree.

Firstly, for Big Ben or Brady taken mid-late in the first round there have been 20 failures. When Ben is done we will take a hit, no two ways about it. We had to suck to get to Ben originally, remember. It's better to suck and grab your Franchise QB in my opinion based upon the second condition

Secondly, you know what you have in Ben and you know that if your surround him with talent he will win you a Super Bowl. QB is the most important, and most valuable position in all of professional sports. This team is a couple tweaks from being the NFL favorite. We have to do all we can to try and win again in these next three years. Football is a sport where good schemes and coaching matter just as much as personnel: save with QB.

QB is what wins championships. We gotta make the tweaks and get another one.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Exactly. I keep hearing about that kid from Penn State. If he drops to us in the 2nd rnd you have to give some serious consideration to taking him. I doubt he will get that far though. From what I understand he is probably the most NFL ready QB in the draft.

They should stay far away from Hackenberg. Non-athletic and inaccurate isn't a good combination.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

I'm not advocating using a 1st rnd pick this yr. I haven't even heard of an QBs that would even fall late in the 1st. Most of the QB's this yr are expected to go early in the draft. So thats not really even an option.

But those of you hoping/wishing that KC takes a CB in the 1st rnd really haven't followed this team long. The Steelers do not take CBs with 1st rnd picks. I expect either a safety or LB/DE in the 1st. The 2nd rnd if there are any available will probably be where they go after CB help.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I'd be inclined to agree.

Firstly, for Big Ben or Brady taken mid-late in the first round there have been 20 failures. When Ben is done we will take a hit, no two ways about it. We had to suck to get to Ben originally, remember. It's better to suck and grab your Franchise QB in my opinion based upon the second condition

Secondly, you know what you have in Ben and you know that if your surround him with talent he will win you a Super Bowl. QB is the most important, and most valuable position in all of professional sports. This team is a couple tweaks from being the NFL favorite. We have to do all we can to try and win again in these next three years. Football is a sport where good schemes and coaching matter just as much as personnel: save with QB.

QB is what wins championships. We gotta make the tweaks and get another one.

A QB's success is even more dependent on coaching than the rest of the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad