OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
I don’t think Canada is a good OC at all but it’s the second week of OTAs. And his supposed system and Ben’s strengths did not mesh at all so last year was some weird mix of systems that was a complete disaster. It was a dumb hire but this is the first year he can actually do whatever it is he wants to do. He’s got no excuses this year though.

Still wish they would have just hired Pep Hamilton. No clue if he’d be a good OC but he seems like a QB whisperer which would be nice to have right now.

Agreed, and we should see how it goes before proclaiming it a disaster in waiting. So much negativity on this board.

Reactions: Khelandros

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Tuitt announces retirement
1654106608176.png

Reactions: Andy99

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Sucks to see. He’s been through a lot so I don’t blame the guy.

The Steelers have had a lot of guys that have had to retire or decided to retire earlier than you would expect. Shazier, DeCastro, Pouncey, and now Tuitt all within the last couple of years.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I feel bad for Cam Heyward. He kept saying and sticking up for Tuitt and saying he would be back and that he was in a good place and then Tuitt retires. Which, more power to him, it's his life and with what these guys make, I can't blame him from that standpoint. If he doesn't have the onus to play anymore then so be it. But man, feels like he really left Cam out to dry.

Not a surprise in general, when he didn't show up last season I figured he was done. Guys don't usually take a season off in the prime of their career to grieve.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
See a lot of people saying they saw this coming but doesn't feel like the org did, not based on their actions or player comments.

Anyone out there worth using his freed up cap on?

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
See a lot of people saying they saw this coming but doesn't feel like the org did, not based on their actions or player comments.

Anyone out there worth using his freed up cap on?
There are always bodies and cap casualties that become available.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
It was dumb to not address DL in a more material way. Not even hindsight.

It’s a little bit of hindsight. It definitely seems like they thought Tuitt would be back. And if that would have been the case, a unit of Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Adams, Loudermilk, Wormley, and Leal would have been above average.

Even now it’s not a bad unit and there’s plenty of time to make a move before the season if they feel it’s needed.

Reactions: Peat

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
More concerned about DT/ Alualu than replacing Tuitt. He wasn't here all last season and Loudermilk did fine for a rookie.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I feel bad for Cam Heyward. He kept saying and sticking up for Tuitt and saying he would be back and that he was in a good place and then Tuitt retires. Which, more power to him, it's his life and with what these guys make, I can't blame him from that standpoint. If he doesn't have the onus to play anymore then so be it. But man, feels like he really left Cam out to dry.

Not a surprise in general, when he didn't show up last season I figured he was done. Guys don't usually take a season off in the prime of their career to grieve.

I don’t see how he left anyone out to dry.

He probably wavered a bunch of times trying to decide what to do and I can’t imagine it was an easy decision.

I severely doubt he told Heyward he was for sure coming back, and dude could have declined comment when asked about Tuitt.

Ultimately Tuitt decided his heart wasn’t in a kid’s game anymore.

Not sure why anyone would be mad at him.

Not like he retired early just so he could smoke weed full time.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It’s a little bit of hindsight. It definitely seems like they thought Tuitt would be back. And if that would have been the case, a unit of Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Adams, Loudermilk, Wormley, and Leal would have been above average.

Even now it’s not a bad unit and there’s plenty of time to make a move before the season if they feel it’s needed.

Maybe wishful thinking on Tuitt. You have a guy with mental and physical issues, Alualu who is old and coming off a significant injury. Way too big of question marks. And too old to begin with.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Maybe wishful thinking on Tuitt. You have a guy with mental and physical issues, Alualu who is old and coming off a significant injury. Way too big of question marks. And too old to begin with.

Unless they decided to cut Alualu and unless they knew for sure Tuitt wouldn’t be back, it would have been tough to do anything very meaningful in free agency. I can’t imagine they would have much success getting a guy who would have an impact when you can’t even guarantee they’d be a starter.

Reactions: Peat

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
We've been hearing for a few months from the org that Tuitt would be back. And most fans were skeptical. It feels to me that the org didn't do enough to address DL and were hoping he'd be back. It felt like the wrong move before this announcement and it certainly is the case now.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
We've been hearing for a few months from the org that Tuitt would be back. And most fans were skeptical. It feels to me that the org didn't do enough to address DL and were hoping he'd be back. It felt like the wrong move before this announcement and it certainly is the case now.

His extended absence has simply been too weird to think he'd just helicopter back in.

It was at best a coin flip he'd be back. Combine that with Alualu's effectiveness/health, also a coin flip, and you can see why the smart non-QB position to take in the 1st would have been DL.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't get thinking the org should have done more to address DL. Yeah, what they did was a gamble, but look at the wider picture and what isn't a gamble right now? There's a lot of guys being asked to step up this year. If they'd stuck more money into the position, we'd be looking very thin elsewhere. If they think Pickett is the future of franchise, then passing over him to get a DL would be inexcusable.

They could have used the 2nd on a DL and the 3rd on a WR. Dunno if that makes a difference. They could have cut Tuitt early and pursued someone else. Dunno how that would work out... and tbh, I just don't support them being that ruthless with a guy in his position over a season that's going to be finding out what lotto tickets we hit on and which we didn't anyway.

Reactions: xlm34

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Isn't June 1 the date when bonuses come due? So if he retired today, we would have 9m in dead money. If he retired yesterday we would have 14m in cap space, if I'm understanding this correctly.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Isn't June 1 the date when bonuses come due? So if he retired today, we would have 9m in dead money. If he retired yesterday we would have 14m in cap space, if I'm understanding this correctly.
We get 9 million in cap back but have 5 million in dead cap in 23 because it is June 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad