OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Here is how I look at it on offense vs last year:

QB - we took a step down.
Other areas: Oline/WR we definitely improved.

So what is the net result of that? I'd probably say 8 wins again or less. People forget that Ben had like 4 comeback wins because of this offense's stupid philosophy of eating clock, getting to 3rd down and keeping it close.

Issue was that we struggled to keep it close and then they told Ben "just go ahead and play sandlot". And he mostly delivered in the 4th.

In the division alone I have at LEAST 4 losses
Cincy 2x
Balt
Clev

Ben's ability to carry the team playing backyard football got this team out of a lot of messy positions, but Ben's complete inability to fit into Canada's systems got us into a lot of them too. I dunno how much of a step down they're going to be if they fit in better.

Which is assuming that Canada's system does good things with the right guys and that he makes the right calls, which is maybe the greatest unknown of all. If he and the OL take a step forward, then the QB will almost certainly perform better than Ben, regardless of whether they actually are a better player.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
How much you wanna bet Harbaugh can get the most out of fat and slow Ben (because he is superior to Clown) under "his system" ?

It's perfect situation for Fat and Slow since the Ravens are dedicated to the run.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Ben's ability to carry the team playing backyard football got this team out of a lot of messy positions, but Ben's complete inability to fit into Canada's systems got us into a lot of them too. I dunno how much of a step down they're going to be if they fit in better.

Which is assuming that Canada's system does good things with the right guys and that he makes the right calls, which is maybe the greatest unknown of all. If he and the OL take a step forward, then the QB will almost certainly perform better than Ben, regardless of whether they actually are a better player.
Ben hasn’t been able to play back yard football since he hurt his elbow in 2019. He lead the league in attempts short of the in 2020 and the fast time from snap to throw the last 2 years. He relied way to much on back yard stuff and not enough on film study it was no secret he hated RPo and play action. He was a gunslinger without a gun

Canada doesn't have a system
His system is used in the nfl and got Nathan peterman drafted by the bills and set records at Pittsburgh with Connor at RB and Henderson has his best Wr

How much you wanna bet Harbaugh can get the most out of fat and slow Ben (because he is superior to Clown) under "his system" ?
Lol r u drunk Lamar saved harbugh can’t win without Lamar and was almost fired before Lamar took over

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

It's perfect situation for Fat and Slow since the Ravens are dedicated to the run.
The perfect situation for Fat/Slow/Bathroom Stall is the pizza bar at the local country club.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Wait you think that Ben would be good in the system designed for Lamar Jackson?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Ben hasn’t been able to play back yard football since he hurt his elbow in 2019. He lead the league in attempts short of the in 2020 and the fast time from snap to throw the last 2 years. He relied way to much on back yard stuff and not enough on film study it was no secret he hated RPo and play action. He was a gunslinger without a gun

His system is used in the nfl and got Nathan peterman drafted by the bills and set records at Pittsburgh with Connor at RB and Henderson has his best Wr

Lol r u drunk Lamar saved harbugh can’t win without Lamar and was almost fired before Lamar took over

No ive been saying this for a while after Ben retired: I predict Larmar gets injured at some point and the Ravens first call will be to inquire about Ben... I think it makes sense for both parties since the Ravens are a run first team and Ben can be coached by a real staff.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Wait you think that Ben would be good in the system designed for Lamar Jackson?

That's a good point I didn't consider because I don't know the Ravens depth chart...however, I think Harbaugh is good enough (hypothetically) to change on the fly.

The perfect situation for Fat/Slow/Bathroom Stall is the pizza bar at the local country club.

Hopefully Coach Clown makes his way there too because that will be all he will be remembered for as well.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
They have won 4 straight against Bmore and have Lamars number. Watson week 17 at home unless the Steelers are locked in the playoffs isn’t beating us. Cincinnati week 1 is the perfect time to play them just like last year when they played Buffalo week 1. I have said 3-3 in the division 3-1 against the east 2-2 against the south gets you to 8. Colts Philly raiders are all winnable.
The comebacks stat wins were laughable. Buffalo week 1 blocked punt for td against Buffalo never give up the lead GW drive
Seattle strip sack in OT Ben gets a GW drive
Ben has a game against Cleveland like mason did against Detroit tje offense takes the lead with 12 minutes left and GW dr for ben. Tennessee the defense gets 4 turnovers and the offense scored 13 points GW dr. Bmore watt breaks up Lamar pass to Andrews ben GW dr. The offense was terrible outside of no huddle cause that’s all Ben was comfortable with

I get it, Ben doesn't get any credit. Keep playing your favorite hits

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

This is something we can all agree on: the coaches didn't put the offense in the best position to succeed, particularly their QB. RPO with a statue QB? Furthermore if Ben would have gotten hurt, the backup was as stone footed as Ben. Like who signed off on this rubbish?

I'm not here to say Ben was above average last year, he wasn't. I'd call him "average". He had his share of boneheaded plays like he always did.

But considering the handcuffs they put on him until they allowed him to be unleashed, I'd say it was admirable.

This is akin to ripping Sid and Geno for the Mike Johnston experiment. Yea their numbers were bad, but it wasn't designed to their strengths one bit.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
This is something we can all agree on: the coaches didn't put the offense in the best position to succeed, particularly their QB. RPO with a statue QB? Furthermore if Ben would have gotten hurt, the backup was as stone footed as Ben. Like who signed off on this rubbish?

I'm not here to say Ben was above average last year, he wasn't. I'd call him "average". He had his share of boneheaded plays like he always did.

But considering the handcuffs they put on him until they allowed him to be unleashed, I'd say it was admirable.

This is akin to ripping Sid and Geno for the Mike Johnston experiment. Yea their numbers were bad, but it wasn't designed to their strengths one bit.

Hot take. Clown is slightly worse than Mike Johnson. MJ atleast wasn't arrogant.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
@xlm34 to further entertain my thought. I said I didn't know the Ravens depth chart. But if they are a run first team they can't totally rely on Lamar because to do so would increase chance of injury. Which they do not want

Their RB depth chart should be well off then (right?). To add Ben because of a Lamar injury would mean they go to a traditional control possession (run first) offense and Ben would just have to make a few throws per game (we all know he is capable)

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
@xlm34 to further entertain my thought. I said I didn't know the Ravens depth chart. But if they are a run first team they can't totally rely on Lamar because to do so would increase chance of injury. Which they do not want

Their RB depth chart should be well off then (right?). To add Ben because of a Lamar injury would mean they go to a traditional control possession (run first) offense and Ben would just have to make a few throws per game (we all know he is capable)

Definitely an interesting comment about their depth chart. I think there’s a reason why their backup QBs the past few years have been guys like RG3 and Huntley though. They seem to prefer a player that can come in a play similarly to how Jackson plays which is why I don’t think they’d ever consider someone like Ben.

As for adjusting the offense to Ben, I don’t think they’d do that either. I think you’ll find that a lot of Ravens fans don’t think very highly of Greg Roman. The consensus on him seems to be that he runs one type of offense well, but if forced to adjust is a total waste. I think 49ers fans had a similar opinion when he coached there.

Reactions: Night Shift

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

The RPo wasn’t new Haley tired to get Ben to do it when bell was here. The stone foot mason had the 2nd longest run of the season last year against Detroit and ran their safety over. They literally ran the Fitchner Haley offense last 2 seasons with motion that Ben hated and everyone knew Ben hates play action and has for years. He said he can’t read the defense with his back turned. Ben inability to throw the ball over the middle of the field to beat cover 2 or hit the deep ball when teams where in cover 1 was bad. There’s a reason why the gm and coach wanted to move on from him last year and ownership had to step in to bring him back in 2020

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Definitely an interesting comment about their depth chart. I think there’s a reason why their backup QBs the past few years have been guys like RG3 and Huntley though. They seem to prefer a player that can come in a play similarly to how Jackson plays which is why I don’t think they’d ever consider someone like Ben.

As for adjusting the offense to Ben, I don’t think they’d do that either. I think you’ll find that a lot of Ravens fans don’t think very highly of Greg Roman. The consensus on him seems to be that he runs one type of offense well, but if forced to adjust is a total waste. I think 49ers fans had a similar opinion when he coached there.
They definitely would consider Ben since they are the little sister that tries to model themselves after our organization (pre Tomlin I mean). He's a 2X SB champion that has some bitterness to express because he wasn't treated well in the media and national media throughout his career. (some of it is deserved but other times not)

What better way to reedem yourself to go to the rival and prove all doubters he can take them far and Idk... Be a leader and such

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
@xlm34. As for your comments you might be right but it's not black and white. Idk who Roman is but Harbaugh is good enough to get rid of him if he needs to. Some of this fan base is so used to Clown that they don't understand adaptability. Harbaugh is capable of change on the fly because he is that good and able to be effectively good.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Not that anyone really asked lol, but from an outside fan perspective the Steelers should never pay a WR big time money. They are too good at drafting guys that produce at a good level almost immediately to pay a guy at that position $20 million. Trade DJ for a 3rd or let him ride out the season and let him walk and take the comp pick and then repeat that cycle when it comes time for the next guy to want his money

Reactions: Factorial

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Not that anyone really asked lol, but from an outside fan perspective the Steelers should never pay a WR big time money. They are too good at drafting guys that produce at a good level almost immediately to pay a guy at that position $20 million. Trade DJ for a 3rd or let him ride out the season and let him walk and take the comp pick and then repeat that cycle when it comes time for the next guy to want his money
They have drafted 17 wr since 2005 Holmes Wallace were 2 guys of 6 that hit. From 2010 to 19 AB Juju Claypool DJ hit. Washington Wheaton Coates busted and Sanders went elsewhere to succeed. That’s with 7 at QB not an unproven rookie Charlie batch jr in mason or Mitch.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
They can afford to pay DJ for a while if they want. No QB taking up 30+ million. Just front load it and cut him after a few years if you need room.

This regime doesn’t really need to act like the last when it comes to contracts.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
They have drafted 17 wr since 2005 Holmes Wallace were 2 guys of 6 that hit. From 2010 to 19 AB Juju Claypool DJ hit. Washington Wheaton Coates busted and Sanders went elsewhere to succeed. That’s with 7 at QB not an unproven rookie Charlie batch jr in mason or Mitch.
Sanders was pretty good as a Steeler

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They can afford to pay DJ for a while if they want. No QB taking up 30+ million. Just front load it and cut him after a few years if you need room.

This regime doesn’t really need to act like the last when it comes to contracts.

Or potentially trade the guy. If anything an extension might increase his trade value if we want to go that route.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Exactly they can do the 3 year extension that Debo and dk got. Debo Aav is 19 million a year if you include this year but really it’s 22 in new money. Claypool isn’t up for 2 years Edmunds Sutton bush and Larry o on defense might earn extensions but they will not kick in before 23

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya, no reason to pay big money to a WR unless he’s shown himself to be truly elite.

Tomlin has a special eye for finding talent at the position, maybe because he played it in college - who knows.

As long as he’s around, they will keep finding good receivers to plug in.

He keeps finding 1000 yard receivers and he hasn’t even had to use a first for any of them.

Wallace, AB, Juju, DJ.

Throw in guys like Sanders and Claypool, Tomlin just has that eye for them.

Now sounds like Pickens and Austin are making a lot of noise in camp as well.

Make DJ play out his contract. He’d be stupid to sit out right before he hits FA.

If he has a big year they can always tag and sign him.

If Pickens and Austin emerge, let him walk.

Dumbest move would be to sign him long term to a massive deal right now. Not with the WR market what it is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad