OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It seems like that very well may be the case but it also seems like a good way to lose top tier players.

Always paying top tier players what they want is also, in the long run, a good way to lose them when you realise you can't pay them all. Arguably that's what happening right now. Sooner or later the cap introduces no-win scenarios for all successful teams.

There is an interesting contrast between SF's long protracted fights on this and, say, Kansas moving on very quickly from Tyreek Hill and Sneed when they decided they couldn't pay them. We'll see how this ends but I think Kansas look smarter. Even when the 49ers have kept the players, they've had so-so first seasons on the new contract from protracted hold outs.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Pay him and trade him later if you can’t afford him seems prudent, but I guess there’s a line to be drawn in the sand as @Peat says.

Aiyuk saw all his teammates get market reset money so I guess he wants that.

Khan is doing this correctly though. You have a price you will pay, tell 49ers to come back to us if it works. If not we will move on.

Pay Aiyuk, trade Deebo next offseason, and try to win with both of them this year is what I’d do but I dunno. I don’t think they really know what they want right now either.

Reactions: PartyatMarios

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Pay Aiyuk, trade Deebo next offseason, and try to win with both of them this year is what I’d do but I dunno. I don’t think they really know what they want right now either.
Especially with the constant injuries persall the 1st rookie wr

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pay him and trade him later if you can’t afford him seems prudent, but I guess there’s a line to be drawn in the sand as @Peat says.

Aiyuk saw all his teammates get market reset money so I guess he wants that.

Khan is doing this correctly though. You have a price you will pay, tell 49ers to come back to us if it works. If not we will move on.

Iirc, the way most big NFL contracts are structured, sign then trade is just a no-go due to the dead money hits.

Idk. If I was the 49ers, then I'd have not deviated after not selling him at the draft. My message to Aiyuk would be you can play for the 49ers next season or you can not play. But now that we've got this far, that's clearly not a good idea to go back to (although I'd still be real tempted by it after he turned down the Pats offer). But I'm sure they thought they wouldn't either.

Actually, now I think about it, I'm curious what's happened in the last couple days since it sounded like there was no deal between the Steelers and 49ers forever, and now there is. I wonder what changed there.

(edit - I also think if I was an NFL GM, my rule with all but the most ridiculous of talent would be either you sign by the draft or we wish you good luck at your new home. The other way doesn't seem worth it).

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The Steelers should offer a 2nd for Pearsall.
Here's a better idea, Khan gives them a drop dead date to get it done or we just tell them to F off! This is stupid at this point! Somebody deserves to experience a lot of suffering as a result of this! They're playing with ppl and it's morally reprehensible!

Either do it today OR let Frisco and that miserable community experience the worst earthquake in human history! Either way I win!

Mr Jeff Jimerson

May 9, 2013
That was like two months. This is over six months now! This is absurdly and mind-numbingly silly at this point!
Brandon Aiyuk is a Steeler, it just hasn't been officially announced yet. Just prepare your apology for being wrong all this time when it is.

Reactions: T1K

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Brandon Aiyuk is a Steeler, it just hasn't been officially announced yet. Just prepare your apology for being wrong all this time when it is.
Apology for what exactly?

And if he is a Steeler why hasn't it gone public yet? What's the hold up?

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Here's a better idea, Khan gives them a drop dead date to get it done or we just tell them to F off! This is stupid at this point! Somebody deserves to experience a lot of suffering as a result of this! They're playing with ppl and it's morally reprehensible!

Either do it today OR let Frisco and that miserable community experience the worst earthquake in human history! Either way I win!
"Morally reprehensible" is a bit of a stretch :laugh:. I agree that this situation is taking too long, but that's not really the Steelers fault. This is a 49ers/Aiyuk standoff.

Reactions: Rave7215 and T1K

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
"Morally reprehensible" is a bit of a stretch :laugh:. I agree that this situation is taking too long, but that's not really the Steelers fault. This is a 49ers/Aiyuk standoff.
If the Steelers permit the 49ers to continue this idiocy with no end in sight they're complicit!

Again 6 months of this nonsense!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Murder is morally reprehensible, dragging your feet in a trade is... poor business etiquette?
No, it's morally reprehensible!

There's a lot of individuals affected by this beyond Aiyuk the 49ers and the Steelers. So, do it or move on. Lots of ppl are suffering, and it didn't have to be this way.

They're all scum buckets, vile individuals

#worstoftheworst!

• Haha
Reactions: WickedWrister

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Dulac 5 mins ago

FYI: Nothing has changed since last week as far as Steelers are concerned regarding Aiyuk trade. Just waiting to see if 49ers are going to re-sign him or deal him. NO Steelers players involved

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I get that you're tired of it, but I bet that the longer it goes the more in favor it goes to the Steelers leverage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad