OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

This dude ripped Pickens to shreds

That's what I love about these sort of dissections. I don't think I'd have noticed that lazy route by Pickens in a million years without this. It is an unambiguously ugly play when you spot that.

Interesting how he's a lot more complimentary about that checkdown to Muth than other guys. I see his point of view about the decisiveness but I share the point of view of those who say it was the wrong decision.

Reactions: T1K

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Danny was on espn he said both RW and JF are both going to succeed with the play action offense take sacks struggle with the quick game the difference is the designed qb runs you can do with JF

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rapoport and Garafolo both just dropped some pretty spicy bits:

The situation:

1. Aiyuk prefers to stay with the 49ers, but they have not met his ask yet with a contract. Garafolo and Rapaport are giving 2 different ideas for how far apart they are. Rapaport says "the offer wasn't good enough" while Garafolo says "they've agreed on a lot, it's just one issue that needs to be ironed out".
2. The Steelers and 49ers have a deal agreed upon if the 49ers do not sign Aiyuk to an extension. The Steelers and Aiyuk are in a good spot with a contract extension for him.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I’ll for sure be disappointed if they don’t end up landing Aiyuk but more than anything I just want it to be over. There’s just so much posturing by different parties to the media it’s impossible to tell what’s accurate or not. Maybe SF is close to a contract agreement. Maybe they put that out to save face and say “See we tried but he was unreasonable.” Who knows at this point.

SF just giving him the deal makes the most sense but nothing has really made much since during this.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
it kinda tracks Aiyuk wants to stay and is using Steelers for leverage for better offer; 49ers see through it but are in bad spot where they don’t want to give precedent to this and give him a better deal, but don’t want to lose WR1 in a contending year for day 2 picks.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm gonna wait a little for the next update before deciding this one says it's all over.

Yeah there's still far too much up in the air to draw any sort of conclusion. All we know is that it's either Aiyuk signs a long-term deal with SF or he's traded to the Steelers. Those are the only 2 outcomes left, but which one happens depends entirely on Aiyuk and SF. The Steelers are just waiting on them to figure out their stuff.

Reactions: Peat

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
That's what I love about these sort of dissections. I don't think I'd have noticed that lazy route by Pickens in a million years without this. It is an unambiguously ugly play when you spot that.

Interesting how he's a lot more complimentary about that checkdown to Muth than other guys. I see his point of view about the decisiveness but I share the point of view of those who say it was the wrong decision.
Yeah IIRC JT was really high on Fields and had him as his #1 QB coming out in 2021. The broadcast view simply doesn't do football justice, can't see any of the routes. I make sure to watch the All-22 view whenever there's a game on Amazon.

Thought it was interesting that he seemed to put more blame on Herbig for those two C-QB fumbles, and then complimented Frazier later in the video when he handled a double team well. I'm still annoyed Tomlin didn't challenge that last play though to keep the drive going.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah IIRC JT was really high on Fields and had him as his #1 QB coming out in 2021. The broadcast view simply doesn't do football justice, can't see any of the routes. I make sure to watch the All-22 view whenever there's a game on Amazon.

Thought it was interesting that he seemed to put more blame on Herbig for those two C-QB fumbles, and then complimented Frazier later in the video when he handled a double team well. I'm still annoyed Tomlin didn't challenge that last play though to keep the drive going.

I hadn't watched the whole thing yet and hadn't got as far as Frazier. Yeah, that's nice. I know this isn't the sum of both guys performances, but it's as weird to me that Frazier isn't at least getting equal first team snaps as it is that Jefferson catch wasn't challenged.

Oh, and there's JT ripping into Pickens again. Dang. You'd think Pickens had just wrecked his car or something. That said, hard to argue with any of it. I hope Pickens takes the Steelers' pursuit of a WR1 this off-season personally and buries the idea the Steelers need one, but right now, early indications aren't great.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
The constant refreshing of twitter for Aiyuk updates is giving me Karlsson vibes… I don’t think Jerry Rices post means anything we haven’t heard yet it’s always been up the contract or trade me to Pittsburgh. I’d like to see Omar land him and on Omar’s terms. Regardless it’s refreshing to see how he operates roster construction id imagine Colbert would have Pickett on the roster still and his splashiest signing would have been to bring in a backup lineman.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
As time passes, that 2021 Steelers offense for Ben's final year was a travesty of a unit.

Fields is weird bc his college tape was so much better as a passer than he’s been in the pros.

I guess it’s the WR room he had? Idk. Timing looked better. But NFL is just a different level of competition I guess.

I posted something earlier in the week that pointed to Fields' athleticism and how it was a detriment to his timing/dropback. I thought it was interesting and could see how a QB getting through his drop in 3 seconds instead of 5 could throw off timing.

I dunno. I think Fields has a lot of talent. That's all I can really say about the guy. His time in Chicago was atrocious, so we will see if this staff can develop a QB because this one needs developing.

Claypool will appear at someone’s training camp in the next year or two as a TE. Possible UFL stint in between.

He has CFL superstar written all over him.

Beyond Jagr watch, this is the most infuriating rumor/speculation saga that never ever seems to end!

Watch him re-sign in SF after all of this. Or the Browns swoop in and land him.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I just hope Khan has some sort of backup plan if Aiyuk re-signs. I don’t blame him for focusing on trying to land a big fish but going into the season with the receiving room as is would be pretty disappointing.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I just hope Khan has some sort of backup plan if Aiyuk re-signs. I don’t blame him for focusing on trying to land a big fish but going into the season with the receiving room as is would be pretty disappointing.
Whatever the backup plan is (and I have theorized that we are already looking at it in camp), it will be a steep drop off from Aiyuk.

I've read a lot that good players are gonna get cut. That's probably true.

Metchie has apparently been a huge disappointment in Houston. I'd offer like a sixth-round pick rather than wait to see if he gets cut.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd take another Van Jefferson or Austin or Wilson in the hope that they're the one who hits big, but I'd be pretty surprised if anyone clear cut better than that is available right now.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
this whole situation really seems like a case of the 49ers being incredulous that they cant get more for aiyuk despite no one in the league offering it since other teams arent the jets and arent going to trade for a guy they dont have an extension agreement in place with while aiyuk only wants to go to a few select teams?

Reactions: T1K

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The constant refreshing of twitter for Aiyuk updates is giving me Karlsson vibes… I don’t think Jerry Rices post means anything we haven’t heard yet it’s always been up the contract or trade me to Pittsburgh. I’d like to see Omar land him and on Omar’s terms. Regardless it’s refreshing to see how he operates roster construction id imagine Colbert would have Pickett on the roster still and his splashiest signing would have been to bring in a backup lineman.
It’s pretty clear by now that SF is going to resign him imo…this article provides a really good explanation why…it also is just as incredulous why Aiyuk would want to play for our shitty offense lol

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s pretty clear by now that SF is going to resign him imo…this article provides a really good explanation why…it also is just as incredulous why Aiyuk would want to play for our shitty offense lol

I think they're going to keep trying because it's too late to change course satisfactorily, but that article does touch on why I imagine they're reluctant with the Nico Collins comparison. I think push comes to shove, they don't think he's as good as his numbers say he is, and that their scheme makes him better than he is. I wish the article had dipped more into how the rest of the 49ers offence makes things easier on Aiyuk and why Aiyuk has only really taken off with Purdy there.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
One way or another this needs to end today.

This is the most absurd saga regarding one player I've ever seen that was potentially linked to a Pittsburgh sports team beyond Jagr watch.

Enough!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Fields is weird bc his college tape was so much better as a passer than he’s been in the pros.

I guess it’s the WR room he had? Idk. Timing looked better. But NFL is just a different level of competition I guess.

I posted something earlier in the week that pointed to Fields' athleticism and how it was a detriment to his timing/dropback. I thought it was interesting and could see how a QB getting through his drop in 3 seconds instead of 5 could throw off timing.

I dunno. I think Fields has a lot of talent. That's all I can really say about the guy. His time in Chicago was atrocious, so we will see if this staff can develop a QB because this one needs developing.

Claypool will appear at someone’s training camp in the next year or two as a TE. Possible UFL stint in between.

He has CFL superstar written all over him.

Beyond Jagr watch, this is the most infuriating rumor/speculation saga that never ever seems to end!

Watch him re-sign in SF after all of this. Or the Browns swoop in and land him.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He should have held onto DJ until he had an apt replacement. That was Khans only mistake this offseason and it's been going on for 6 months now. Still not fixed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad