OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
That’s good news. Not sure how you can compete at LT when you don’t get reps at LT but I see no reason to not run Jones-Seumalo-Frazier-Daniels-Fautanu as your week one line.

Reactions: TNT87 and Andy99

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
That’s good news. Not sure how you can compete at LT when you don’t get reps at LT but I see no reason to not run Jones-Seumalo-Frazier-Daniels-Fautanu as your week one line.
Yeah the handling of Jones has been abysmal ever since they drafted him, but I'm 100% on board with the line you set forth. There'll probably be some growing pains but the ceiling of these guys is so much higher than Moore and Herbig.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Guarantee you that Moore is still at LT with Jones and Fautanu battling it out for RT…why? Because that’s how Tomlin rolls lol

Reactions: TNT87

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I also want Fautanu to start because I'll take the bad with the good if it means he develops faster, but he got cooked at least two times in pass pro from what I saw on Friday. His guy was involved in both the sacks Fields took.

Looked better in run blocking.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You're right that the individual coaching COULD override Tomlin's philosophy, but we also know that Tomlin generally doesn't like hiring people brighter than him or who will contradict him.

And what do we know about Tomlin after almost 20 years? He's a risk averse coach who favors defense, ball control and not making turnovers. That isn't how you develop QB's. Development comes from MAKING MISTAKES (this applies to every walk of life). Tomlin refuses to let mistakes run their course. I'm not saying KP would have figured it out if the reigns were taken off of him. But it would have been nice to at least rule that factor out.

I mean you might as well have Buddy Ryan as a HC. But at least Buddy Ryan wasn't dumb enough to put the shackles on Randall Cunningham. And coincidently enough, we saw late resurgent Cunningham with the Vikes when he got some good coaching and supreme talent around him.

In short, Tomlin's philosophy is antiquated. He believes QB's should be able to transcend scheme bc he inheirted a HOF QB and it brought him early success. Well guess what, there aren't any Ben R's growing on trees in this league. Tomlin treats that anomalist situation like it's commonplace.
Not just QBs…why do you think Moore is still starting lol

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Jones is going into year 3. If he isn’t clearly good enough to start at this point, that’s on him.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You're right that the individual coaching COULD override Tomlin's philosophy, but we also know that Tomlin generally doesn't like hiring people brighter than him or who will contradict him.

And what do we know about Tomlin after almost 20 years? He's a risk averse coach who favors defense, ball control and not making turnovers. That isn't how you develop QB's. Development comes from MAKING MISTAKES (this applies to every walk of life). Tomlin refuses to let mistakes run their course. I'm not saying KP would have figured it out if the reigns were taken off of him. But it would have been nice to at least rule that factor out.

I mean you might as well have Buddy Ryan as a HC. But at least Buddy Ryan wasn't dumb enough to put the shackles on Randall Cunningham. And coincidently enough, we saw late resurgent Cunningham with the Vikes when he got some good coaching and supreme talent around him.

In short, Tomlin's philosophy is antiquated. He believes QB's should be able to transcend scheme bc he inheirted a HOF QB and it brought him early success. Well guess what, there aren't any Ben R's growing on trees in this league. Tomlin treats that anomalist situation like it's commonplace.

Oh man. Look, I agree with so much of this. It's so much of why I don't think the Steelers should have renewed him.

But, since he has another chance, then I have to say maybe he's learned from Rudolph and Pickett. Maybe him hiring a guy with some serious NFL success in Smith (albeit mixed with some bad years too) is the sound of him preparing to embrace more risk. I wouldn't want to be on it but he's had a limited amount of time without Ben, it's possible can be different. I am willing to wait that little bit of extra time before declaring he's incapable of running an environment where young QBs succeed.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, it’s over…will be resigning with the Niners

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Breer’s article doesn’t really make any sense because it makes it seem like Aiyuk hasn’t agreed to go to the Steelers when it’s pretty much locked in that the Steelers are the only place he will agree to go to other than the niners.

Reactions: bigdaddyk88

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Does Dan Moore have compromising pictures of Tomlin? Dude is woefully average and we cannot accept "just good enough" on the OLine. Especially since he was the top pick last year. This is mind-numbingly stupid. No other way to slice it.
It does seem like jones has been getting tons reps moore didn’t even dress against the Texans

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Breer’s article doesn’t really make any sense because it makes it seem like Aiyuk hasn’t agreed to go to the Steelers when it’s pretty much locked in that the Steelers are the only place he will agree to go to other than the niners.
It makes sense at this point that he’s not being traded is what I took away from the article…

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Exactly the 30 million is in part of California taxes of course his preferred option is to stay but the 49ers had not budged from 26 million that was pre draft it’s why the Steelers thought they had a deal for either debo or Aiyuk but the 49ers pulled out before the 2nd round started

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I actually find Orlovsky's "internal clock" thing with Fields to have some value.

I think Fields is way more raw than anyone even thought.

Is that video supposed to be diagonal like that?

First off, the diagonal parts come and go for about a minute, but disappear when they actually get to the serious part. Still, as basic and grating an error as the C-QB exchange they critique. Also I don't think anyone says he can't be a starter. Comments are a lot milder than that.

I do think the internal clock thing and the breakdown of the Muth checkdown - Chase Daniel also went after that play - is a good example of why some of us are very low on him though. I didn't really appreciate it at the time but looking at it, it's a spot on example of Fields' brain just not returning the right output to the game situation.

We can argue about how likely it is he will change his ways but that's what he has to change.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh

Going to be disappointed if we can’t pull this off. I really do like where this team is headed ever since khan has taken over. But WR2 is such a glaring hole. I’m not going to pretend van Jefferson or Austin or whoever is anywhere near close to being good enough.

Reactions: Andy99 and T1K

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Smith thinks the fumbles are no big deal and Tomlin thinks it takes away most of the good stuff. I think it’s pretty clear Smith has a vision with Fields. Maybe we’ll see some special packages with him similar to how the saints use Taysom.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It makes sense at this point that he’s not being traded is what I took away from the article…

I mean, you’ll make a negative spin on anything :laugh:

The situation with Aiyuk is crystal clear: either SF pays him or he wants to go to the Steelers and have them pay him. He allegedly threatened to sit out all of 2024 and his 5th year option if he doesn’t get paid, but we’ll see how serious that threat is.

It’s impossible to say what direction this goes in because we have no clue what SF is willing to pay or what Aiyuk wants from SF. All we know is that it’s either the Steelers or 49ers because that’s what Aiyuk seems to want.

Reactions: Andy99

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I mean, you’ll make a negative spin on anything :laugh:

The situation with Aiyuk is crystal clear: either SF pays him or he wants to go to the Steelers and have them pay him. He allegedly threatened to sit out all of 2024 and his 5th year option if he doesn’t get paid, but we’ll see how serious that threat is.

It’s impossible to say what direction this goes in because we have no clue what SF is willing to pay or what Aiyuk wants from SF. All we know is that it’s either the Steelers or 49ers because that’s what Aiyuk seems to want.
It's hard to know what's the truth and whats fake with all these Aiyuk trade rumors, but I remember reading somewhere that the 49ers made their offer to him prior to the start of free agency in March, and there really hasn't been much progress. Since then, we've seen I think 7 WR sign $25m+ deals, 5 of them being $30m+.

I don't really know what their cap structure looks like but I know Purdy and Trent Williams need new deals. Pure speculation but they might have only offered him slightly more than Deebo (23.8) while the WR market price has gone up. Losing Aiyuk over like 3-4m per seems kind of stupid though.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's hard to know what's the truth and whats fake with all these Aiyuk trade rumors, but I remember reading somewhere that the 49ers made their offer to him prior to the start of free agency in March, and there really hasn't been much progress. Since then, we've seen I think 7 WR sign $25m+ deals, 5 of them being $30m+.

I don't really know what their cap structure looks like but I know Purdy and Trent Williams need new deals. Pure speculation but they might have only offered him slightly more than Deebo (23.8) while the WR market price has gone up. Losing Aiyuk over like 3-4m per seems kind of stupid though.

Yeah I think the last rumor I heard was that the 49ers were willing to go up to $26 million, which is both not enough and is also taxed at super high rates. He likely needs around $31 million from SF to match what he’d be making at $28 million with the Steelers.

California has a 13.3% state income tax for pro sports players. Even when taking into account the complexity of how athletes are taxed, that’s an absurd difference between PA and CA.

Reactions: WickedWrister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad