OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Pathetic Steelers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Philip Thomas and Shamarko Thomas are still available if Steelers decide to take a safety in fourth.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I will admit I don't follow the draft like I used to. Did we really need two offensive players in the first 3 rounds? Our defense needs tons of depth. It's like we never want to fix our secondary issues. :laugh: Moar 5th rounders we plan on making huge stars?

Well now that the NFL is all about offense and the fact that we still can't score over 20 pts a game I'd say they were necessary picks. Especially when you look at how craptacular our RB and WR depth are right now.

So far, Steelers filled the needs. I like Jones and Wheaton. Bell is a little reach but hope he will do much better than Mendy.

I give Steelers B for first 3 rounds.

I'm on board with you here. I really like the Jones and Wheaton picks but I hate Bell and really really hope I'm wrong about him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm wondering if the Steelers passing on Brown means Spence's recovery is going well?

However, I heard there were rumors of nerve damage, which would mean his career is in jeopardy.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
It would have been nice to add one of the Thomas' or Rambo. I have a feeling Sanders is gone next season.

TRADE HIM FOR A FOURTH!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The Steelers know they can either re-sign Sanders or get a 3rd or 4th round compensation pick for him down the road. They also likely would have had to go WR earlier than they did if Sanders and Wallace were both gone.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
I'm wondering if the Steelers passing on Brown means Spence's recovery is going well?

However, I heard there were rumors of nerve damage, which would mean his career is in jeopardy.

Yeah, I wonder about Spence. Hopefully, it won't end his career.

If we take ILB, Mauti (PSU) would be a good choice in later rounds. He would be good backup for us, maybe become a starter in few years.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
The Steelers know they can either re-sign Sanders or get a 3rd or 4th round compensation pick for him down the road. They also likely would have had to go WR earlier than they did if Sanders and Wallace were both gone.

Yeah, we're getting at least 3 compensatory picks in next year's draft.

SteelFish87*

We'll be lucky to get a 5th. Wallace will fetch a 3rd or 4th not Sanders

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, I wonder about Spence. Hopefully, it won't end his career.

If we take ILB, Mauti (PSU) would be a good choice in later rounds. He would be good backup for us, maybe become a starter in few years.

Colbert, if I remember this correctly, said Spence had peroneal nerve damage which can lead to foot drop.

I think Edwards, the NE RB, suffered the same injury when he almost lost his leg playing in that beach football game. He tore his ACL, PCL, MCL, as well, and couldn't move his foot for weeks or even feel it for several months. I think Spence just tore his ACL though?

McBriar, the Cowboys punter overcame foot drop, but that isn't a quick twitch position like ILB.

I REALLY like Spence and think he could have a big impact on the defense, if he returns to form. I'm hoping them not drafting an ILB means his recovery is going well, but I think that is wishful thinking most likely.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Wheaton is a great pick.

Bell I like better than most, but I'm not expecting greatness. The Lacy concerns seem legitimate, Ball isn't going to be much of anything in the NFL in my opinion (and if he is his peak will be brief), and Lattimore...love the skill, but the injury terrifies me.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Colbert, if I remember this correctly, said Spence had peroneal nerve damage which can lead to foot drop.

I think Edwards, the NE RB, suffered the same injury when he almost lost his leg playing in that beach football game. He tore his ACL, PCL, MCL, as well, and couldn't move his foot for weeks or even feel it for several months. I think Spence just tore his ACL though?

McBriar, the Cowboys punter overcame foot drop, but that isn't a quick twitch position like ILB.

I REALLY like Spence and think he could have a big impact on the defense, if he returns to form. I'm hoping them not drafting an ILB means his recovery is going well, but I think that is wishful thinking most likely.

Yeah, he was a tackling machine at Miami. He has everything you look for an inside linebacker except his size. I'm hoping for his recovery goes well too. We will find out this summer.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
We'll be lucky to get a 5th. Wallace will fetch a 3rd or 4th not Sanders

We'll see. To only get a 5th would likely mean someone signed him away on the cheap which I don't think will happen. The only way I see Sanders leaving is if he has a huge season and the Steelers don't want to pay the big contract but if he gets a huge contract then the Steelers will get a good compensation pick. I'd imagine a 4th but so many factors go into it like his production with his new team, the money he's getting etc.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
After reading reports of all 3 players Steelers just drafted, one thing they have something in common is they all have high characters.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
First impression after watching the Jarvis Jones interviews is that he's a smart, hard working down to earth kid. But man is he an animal on the football field.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Wheaton is a great pick.

Bell I like better than most, but I'm not expecting greatness. The Lacy concerns seem legitimate, Ball isn't going to be much of anything in the NFL in my opinion (and if he is his peak will be brief), and Lattimore...love the skill, but the injury terrifies me.

If any player can return from injury...it's Lattimore. That kid's situation is so sad. They ran the wheels off him in college.

Bell isn't a bad football player. I do think he's not the type of runningback you take in the top 2 rounds though. That should be reserved for game breakers.

I'm actually surprised we didn't take Jenkins or Hankins in the 2nd round. I thought that was going to be a slam dunk.

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Just looking at the Steelers Pre-Draft Visits.

The Ones We Got.

Jarvis Jones, Georgia, OLB, rJr, 6-3, 245 - Drafted by Steelers, Round 1, pick #17 overall.

Le'Veon Bell, Michigan State, Jr, 6-2, 230 - Drafted by Steelers, Round 2, Pick #48 overall. He was not an official pre-draft visitor but Mike Tomlin met with him

That also leads to the to be determined part of this. Tomlin obviously met with Dion Sims when he met with Bell, they will likely draft a TE and he's still available. Sims is a 6-5, 262, red shirt junior, TE. He's regarded as a good blocking TE from what I've read.

Mike Tomlin also had dinner with Tennessee QB Tyler Bray. A 6-6, 232, Jr.

The Ones That Got Away.
1st Round
Xavier Rhodes, Florida State, CB, rJr, 6-2, 210 - Drafted by Minnesota, Round 1, pick #25 overall.

2nd Round
Jamie Collins, Southern Miss, OLB, Sr, 6-4, 250 - Drafted by New England, Round 2, Pick #52 overall.
Christine Michael, Texas A&M, RB, Sr, 5-10, 220 - Drafted by Seattle, Round 2, pick #62 overall.

3rd Round
Sio Moore, Connecticut, LB, rSr, 6-1, 245 - Drafted by Oakland, Round 3, Pick #66 overall.
Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Connecticut, CB, rSr 6-1 195 - Drafted by Tennessee, Round 3, Pick #70 overall.
Will Davis, Utah State, CB, Sr, 5-11, 186 - Drafted by Miami, Round 3, Pick #93 overall.

Pre-Draft Visitors That Are Still Available
LB's
John Simon, Ohio St. OLB, Sr, 6-2, 257
Vince Williams, LB, Florida State, rSr, 6-1, 233
Khaseem Greene, Rutgers ILB, Rutgers, rSr, 6-1 241
Michael Mauti, Penn State, ILB, rSr, 6-2, 243
Malliciah Goodman, Clemson OLB, Sr, 6-4, 276

Safeties
Jonathan Meeks, Clemson, S, Sr, 6-1, 209
Phillip Thomas, Fresno State, S, rSr, 6-1, 208
Duke Williams, Nevada, S, Sr, 5-11, 203
Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse, SS, Sr, 5-9, 213

WR's
Josh Boyce, TCU, WR, rJr, 5-11, 206
Tavarres King, WR, Georgia, rSr, 6-0, 189
Justin Brown, WR, Oklahoma, Sr 6-3, 207

RB's
Jonathan Franklin, UCLA, RB, rSr, 5-10, 205

O-Line
Nic Embernete, San Diego State, OT/OG, rSr, 6-4, 304

CB's
Tharold Simon, CB, LSU, Jr, 6-2, 202
B.W. Webb, William and Mary, CB, rSr, 5-10, 184

Other Noteable Players Still Available.

QB
Matt Barkley, Southern California, Sr, 6-3, 227
Ryan Nassib, Syracuse, rSr, 6-2, 227
Tyler Wilson, Arkansas, rSr, 6-2, 215
Landry Jones, Oklahoma, rSr, 6-4, 225
Zac Dysert, Miami (Ohio), rSr, 6-3, 231

RB
Andre Ellington, Clemson, rSr, 5-9, 199
Stepfan Taylor, Stanford, Sr, 5-9, 214
Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina, Jr, 5-11, 221
Kenjon Barner, Oregon, rSr, 5-9, 196
Joseph Randle, Oklahoma State, Jr, 6-0, 204

WR
Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech, rSr, 6-0, 204
Ryan Swope, Texas, A&M, rSr, 6-0, 205
Da'Rick Rogers, Tennessee Tech, Jr, 6-3, 217
Chris Harper, Kansas State, rSr, 6-1, 229
Ace Sanders, South Carolina, Jr, 5-7, 173
Kenny Stills, Oklahoma Jr, 6-1, 194
Denard Robinson, Michigan, Sr, 5-11, 199

CB
Jordan Poyer, Oregon State, Sr, 6-0, 191

DT
Jesse Williams, Alabama, Sr, 6-4, 323

Safety
Bacarri Rambo, Georgia, rSr, 6-1, 211

LB
Chase Thomas, Stanford, rSr, 6-3, 244
Sean Porter, Texas A&M, Sr, 6-1, 229
A.J. Klein, Iowa State, Sr, 6-1, 250
Nico Johnson, Alabama, Sr, 6-2, 248
Kevin Reddick, North Carolina, Sr, 6-2, 243

O-Line
Barrett Jones, Alabama, rSr, 6-5, 306
Brian Schwenke, California, Sr, 6-3, 314
David Bakhtiari, Colorado, rJr, 6-4 299
David Quessenberry, San Jose State, rSr, 6-5, 302

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Ryan Swope is an interesting prospect.

Doesn't pay to be a QB this season.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I wouldn't mind Swope to double up at receiver. I definitely want one of the Thomas' at safety or Rambo. I'm sure they got some extra insight from Jarvis also.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
So many QB's still left. The Steelers really could walk away with a pretty good developmental QB in the 6th or 7th round. I think they'll address a couple other areas first in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
So many QB's still left. The Steelers really could walk away with a pretty good developmental QB in the 6th or 7th round. I think they'll address a couple other areas first in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Safety should be a pick for sure. A ball hawk like P. Thomas would be exceptional value. Actually any of P. Thomas, S. Thomas or Rambo would be in the fourth.

I hope some receivers drop and take another maybe with our compensatory in the 6th.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Safety should be a pick for sure. A ball hawk like P. Thomas would be exceptional value. Actually any of P. Thomas, S. Thomas or Rambo would be in the fourth.

I hope some receivers drop and take another maybe with our compensatory in the 6th.
Right with you on that. I'd be very surprised if they don't go safety in the 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad