OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Pathetic Steelers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Walter Football had Steelers draft Philip Thomas in 4th and John Simon in 5th in updated mock draft.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Fourth Round:

Looking over the all of the players left I definitely want Khaseem Greene, linebacker from Rutgers, in the fourth round the most. Kid was a beast in every Rutgers game I've watched the past two years. He's a converted safety and is very fluid in coverage which is such a bonus in football with all of the talented TE's in the league now. This past year here was his state line:

Tackles: 136 (12 TFL)
Sacks: 6
Int: 2
FF: 6

If we do go after a safety I agree that Shamarko Thomas will be the choice and I love that he throws his body around like Troy does, but man is he undersized. I'm afraid his height will kill him in coverage.

What about Robert Lester from Bama or Phillip Thomas from Fresno State at Safety? Both seem to have the hands to pick off passes, something our corners are never able to do and our safeties always have to make up for haha.

EDIT - Sorry I missed sniugneP's post mentioning Phillip Thomas! I guess I'm in agreement that he is an option of course! Assuming we don't go after Greene :D

Fifth Round:

As for the 5th round I expect to see us take Tyler Bray (QB Tennessee) if he's still available.

Last edited:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I didn't get to see the draft yesterday, other than check my phone for updates. I knew pretty much nothing about Bell going into the draft. I'm very disappointed that we took him in the position that we did (as in why couldn't we trade down a little and get an extra pick?). That withstanding, the people who watched him play seem to say that he is a very underrated RB who played in a weak offense in which he was the go-to player on most plays. I'm sure the Steelers must have reviewed tape extensively to be comfortable with that pick. From what I have seen, he seems to have excellent vision and strong ability to break the first tackle (of course everyone looks great on a highlight reel):

Love, love, love the Wheaton pick. We're back to being a 3-receiver threat again for at least one more season. This guy can FLY. Most importantly, he can get off the line quick and could be a nice hot read if we're getting blitzed w/ press coverage.

Definitely echo everyone else in picking a safety next. I'm even willing to trade up at this point. I think there is a noticeable drop-off after the Thomas'. It wouldn't cost a huge amount to move up and we do have an extra 6th round pick. The QB crop is looking excellent as well. It's actually criminal that Barkley is still available. I think we'll see a run on those rather quickly though.

Edit: also worth adding, Bell seems very natural catching the ball out of the backfield. Perhaps he is a 3-down back? No information about his blocking technique, but I'll look.

Last edited:

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I didn't get to see the draft yesterday, other than check my phone for updates. I knew pretty much nothing about Bell going into the draft. I'm very disappointed that we took him in the position that we did (as in why couldn't we trade down a little and get an extra pick?). That withstanding, the people who watched him play seem to say that he is a very underrated RB who played in a weak offense in which he was the go-to player on most plays. I'm sure the Steelers must have reviewed tape extensively to be comfortable with that pick. From what I have seen, he seems to have excellent vision and strong ability to break the first tackle (of course everyone looks great on a highlight reel):

Love, love, love the Wheaton pick. We're back to being a 3-receiver threat again for at least one more season. This guy can FLY. Most importantly, he can get off the line quick and could be a nice hot read if we're getting blitzed w/ press coverage.

Definitely echo everyone else in picking a safety next. I'm even willing to trade up at this point. I think there is a noticeable drop-off after the Thomas'. It wouldn't cost a huge amount to move up and we do have an extra 6th round pick. The QB crop is looking excellent as well. It's actually criminal that Barkley is still available. I think we'll see a run on those rather quickly though.

Edit: also worth adding, Bell seems very natural catching the ball out of the backfield. Perhaps he is a 3-down back? No information about his blocking technique, but I'll look.

I have to say that highlight video is MUCH better than the highlights they showed on ESPN :laugh: He showed some nice wiggle and a bit more speed than most tape I've seen of him. I wonder if he dropped about 10 pounds if that would actually help him out. He doesn't use his size to run over guys so he could be served well to make himself quicker and able to hurdle even higher ;)

Haven't seen anything on him as a blocker, but he has the size to be good at it. I guess we'll see on that soon enough.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
I have to say that highlight video is MUCH better than the highlights they showed on ESPN :laugh: He showed some nice wiggle and a bit more speed than most tape I've seen of him. I wonder if he dropped about 10 pounds if that would actually help him out. He doesn't use his size to run over guys so he could be served well to make himself quicker and able to hurdle even higher ;)

Haven't seen anything on him as a blocker, but he has the size to be good at it. I guess we'll see on that soon enough.

I saw a lot of Bell this season. He is a decent blocker, but he went out in pass patterns a lot because he was the offense for Michigan State this season. So his blocking is a bit of an unknown.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Miami has picks 104 & 106. They have already had 4 picks and have 5 more to make. We should make a move for pick 106. The move from 116 to 106 is only ~20 points.

Being Gene Malkovich

Feb 10, 2004

Whomever made that video choose Tech N9ne for the score to those highlights.. He's playing Stage AE tonight... thus Bell will be a Offensive Rookie of the Year!

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Oh okay! I work at Curtiss-Wright, right off of 28 at the Springdale exit.

I know where you are talking about. Cool. What do you do there?

Getting back to draft talk,
I would not mind seeing the Steelers draft Cummings Sanders out of Georgia. He plays corner/safety. A nice hybrid with these new packages. With the 4th rounder, maybe B W Wren, the William and Mary corner.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
I think the steelers should go for Travardo Williams out of Uconn. He was an undersized 4-3 end there but I can see him being a 3-4 OLB and he can get after the QB. There are rumors of the Giants being interested in him but I don't see him being an effective 4-3 OLB and I don't like his size for the line. I was really bummed that the Raiders got Sio Moore, I think he just might be a name that is mentioned a lot down the road. He was a total beast for Uconn this year.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Whomever made that video choose Tech N9ne for the score to those highlights.. He's playing Stage AE tonight... thus Bell will be a Offensive Rookie of the Year!

I will happily eat crow on Bell if that happens :laugh:

Phillip Thomas (FS). Perfect replacement for Clark. Very surprised that he is still on the board, but perhaps because everyone seems to be drafting SS's so far.

I said earlier that Khaseem Greene is my top pick for this round by far, but I wouldn't be unhappy with Thomas.

I know where you are talking about. Cool. What do you do there?

Getting back to draft talk,
I would not mind seeing the Steelers draft Cummings Sanders out of Georgia. He plays corner/safety. A nice hybrid with these new packages. With the 4th rounder, maybe B W Wren, the William and Mary corner.

I'm an engineer there. Mayock likes Wren a lot and that's a good vote of confidence for me!

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Someone on another forum said that we are trying to shop Dwyer and Redman for draft picks right now. Anyone else see that anywhere?

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 15m
I'm told the Steelers are trying to trade one of their RB's…Jonathan Dwyer is the name I've heard. #Steelers

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m
Suddenly deep at running back, Steelers may try to trade Jonathan Dwyer http://wp.me/p14QSB-8y88

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Someone on another forum said that we are trying to shop Dwyer and Redman for draft picks right now. Anyone else see that anywhere?

Ya I saw it on NFL network about 20 mins ago.

Dwyer is the guy most likely to be moved they claimed.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 15m
I'm told the Steelers are trying to trade one of their RB's…Jonathan Dwyer is the name I've heard. #Steelers

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m
Suddenly deep at running back, Steelers may try to trade Jonathan Dwyer http://wp.me/p14QSB-8y88

Ya I saw it on NFL network about 20 mins ago.

Dwyer is the guy most likely to be moved they claimed.

Thanks guys!!!

So right now we have Dwyer, Redman, Batch, Stephens-Howling, and Bell at RB, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad