OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Pathetic Steelers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Very nice. Awesome setup right along the river, and the city view in front of you as you watch the action. Nice jumbotron showing the play if you need to view it. I like it. Will definitely attend again.

Edit: and I had a Paul Child sighting,so that was cool.

EDIT2: USL games are shown online....uslnation.com

Last edited:

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Nice! I remember Stan Terlecki in early days of Spirit franchise. He was dominating in the league.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Very nice. Awesome setup right along the river, and the city view in front of you as you watch the action. Nice jumbotron showing the play if you need to view it. I like it. Will definitely attend again.

Edit: and I had a Paul Child sighting,so that was cool.

EDIT2: USL games are shown online....uslnation.com

Nice. He taught a soccer clinic that I went to circa 1988 (or abouts). Good to hear that he is still around and active.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The MLS would be an abject failure in Pittsburgh. The yinzers refuse to try new things and the sport just has too far to grow with the rest of the population as it stands.

That and the MLS requires soccer-specific stadiums for new teams...that new stadium isn't expandable to the ~15,000 or so seats that would be required. That's a bigger issue than the fan base right now...hopefully getting an actual soccer stadium will help grow the sport in the region.

And the NBA would be an even worse disaster, but at least the arena is there.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
this thread is about the Christopher Walken movie, right?

the-dead-zone-1983-brooke-adams-christopher-walken-pic-1.jpg

Last edited:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Ever since the Penguins got swept out of the Eastern Conference Finals I've been wondering - why do Penguins fans and Steelers fans act so differently after disappointments?

Take Penguins fans for example - after getting swept out Penguins fans demanded huge changes. They wanted Bylsma and Fleury out (some even wanted Shero gone) and some fans even questioned if Mario really valued winning. There was a sense that despite the fact the Penguins got further in the playoffs than 26 other teams, this was a deeply flawed team that needed a shake-up.

Steeler fans on the other hand seem to be scared to death of change. After a disappointing 8-8 season, Steeler fans seem to think it was all because of breaks and bounces. They think that the Steelers front office and ownership is always right and should never be questioned. If you do question it, you'll likely be called a Ravens fan, a Browns fan, an Arians lover, or you'll get homophobic slurs thrown in your face. Never you mind the Haley offense was no better than the Haley offense, Art Rooney II likes it so he's right! :shakehead

I realize not all Penguins fans are Steelers fans and visa versa, but still, how can a fanbase react so differently after disappointments from their sports teams?

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
The NFL has been quiet leading up to training camp, teams have cap space and there are serviceable players on the FA market still but teams aren't adding.

This has been one of the quietest NFL offseasons.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Ever since the Penguins got swept out of the Eastern Conference Finals I've been wondering - why do Penguins fans and Steelers fans act so differently after disappointments?

Take Penguins fans for example - after getting swept out Penguins fans demanded huge changes. They wanted Bylsma and Fleury out (some even wanted Shero gone) and some fans even questioned if Mario really valued winning. There was a sense that despite the fact the Penguins got further in the playoffs than 26 other teams, this was a deeply flawed team that needed a shake-up.

Steeler fans on the other hand seem to be scared to death of change. After a disappointing 8-8 season, Steeler fans seem to think it was all because of breaks and bounces. They think that the Steelers front office and ownership is always right and should never be questioned. If you do question it, you'll likely be called a Ravens fan, a Browns fan, an Arians lover, or you'll get homophobic slurs thrown in your face. Never you mind the Haley offense was no better than the Haley offense, Art Rooney II likes it so he's right! :shakehead

I realize not all Penguins fans are Steelers fans and visa versa, but still, how can a fanbase react so differently after disappointments from their sports teams?

Maintaining the course and not making large, knee jerk reactions has been a part of the Steelers organization long before I was born. Most yinzers are comfortable with the team staying put and it has worked for them over the years.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Steelers were pretty unlucky last year, but it's just the way the organization is and has the fans programmed to believe. The Steelers have run on a system of stability since 1969 and they've won more Super Bowls than anyone else partially because of that. When you've only had 3 coaches in 44 years it's pretty hard to cry out for a coaching change every year.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Maintaining the course and not making large, knee jerk reactions has been a part of the Steelers organization long before I was born. Most yinzers are comfortable with the team staying put and it has worked for them over the years.

Those are good points, but at what point do you say "that was then, this is now"? It's one thing to not knee-jerk, but it's another thing to let errors persist, and it's another thing to hold onto something for too long. Take Chuck Noll for example. He won four super bowls with the Steelers and is considered one of the greatest football coaches of all time. But looking back and considering how bad the Steelers were in the 80's, I think they held onto Noll for longer than they should have. The same might soon be said about Dick LeBeau. #1 defense in yards allowed, but otherwise not very intimidating nor does it make big plays. It's just a "tackle the catch" defense.

You can talk about all the glory in the past, but when you consider the bad drafting over the past few years and the unexplainable stubbornness the Steelers show over how NFL football is played today, you really have to wonder if the game has finally passed them by.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That seems to happen every 5 or 6 years and then the league shifts and we're back to being on the cutting edge. Remember when we were the only team in the league still using the barbaric 3-4?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
That seems to happen every 5 or 6 years and then the league shifts and we're back to being on the cutting edge. Remember when we were the only team in the league still using the barbaric 3-4?

The thing is it doesn't look like the NFL is anywhere close to shifting back to what yinzers want it to be. They want running and defense and do not view the QB position favorably.

So should the Steelers adapt to the modern NFL and worry about any potential "shifts" if/when they do happen, or waste the remaining years of Ben's career hoping the NFL shifts back to what it was in the early 70's?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The thing is it doesn't look like the NFL is anywhere close to shifting back to what yinzers want it to be. They want running and defense and do not view the QB position favorably.

So should the Steelers adapt to the modern NFL and worry about any potential "shifts" if/when they do happen, or waste the remaining years of Ben's career hoping the NFL shifts back to what it was in the early 70's?

ya, if only this team knew how to succeed with Ben at the helm. Damn guy is going to be remembered as a bum who couldn't win anything but those two worthless superbowls with another appearance because his team was stuck in the 70s.

we're doing fine. The Steelers have been to 3 of the last 8 superbowls and won 2 of them. The league has not passed us by just yet.

Last edited:

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
ya, if only this team knew how to succeed with Ben at the helm. Damn guy is going to be remembered as a bum who couldn't win anything but those two worthless superbowls with another appearance because his team was stuck in the 70s.

we're doing fine. The Steelers have been to 3 of the last 8 superbowls and won 2 of them.

Yes, but they have not won a Superbowl since '09

pitchforks-and-torches.jpg

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yes, but they have not won a Superbowl since '09

pitchforks-and-torches.jpg

yes, a different world back then. Our Running backs and defense ruled the day back in those days. Super Bowl XLIII was the very definition of grind it out smashmouth steelers football. It was a classic gain a lead and run out the clock game, right? Back before the league passed us by.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
yes, a different world back then. Our Running backs and defense ruled the day back in those days. Super Bowl XLIII was the very definition of grind it out smashmouth steelers football. It was a classic gain a lead and run out the clock game, right? Back before the league passed us by.

Actually, that's what the Steelers tried to do in that game in the second half before Ben's game-winning drive.

You know what else didn't happen before 2009? Art II wasn't trying to dictate the offense. Since then it's gone to crap. Last year's offense was a joke. It literally looked like the Steelers thought time of possession was more important than points.

You seem to imply I'm trying to take away what the Steelers have accomplished during Ben's career. I'm not, but I am pointing out that in the last few seasons they've been going in the wrong direction, specifically a direction that is very outdated.

Defensively, they have not drafted too well aside from Cortez Allen since 2009. They've given some of their older players bad contracts that have given the Steelers cap problems. They used to have guys "next in line" so to speak, but we haven't seen that for some time, hence having to keep the older players around longer. It probably doesn't help that rookies are benched for their first two or three seasons trying to learn a "complex" defense when rookies on other teams have made impacts right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad