OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Pathetic Steelers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
and it has worked better than any strategy any other franchise has come up with.

I don't think that's a reason to stick your head in the sand, especially after an 8-8 season and after losing some key players in the offseason.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think that's a reason to stick your head in the sand, especially after an 8-8 season and after losing some key players in the offseason.

I'll be honest, I don't follow football near closely enough to have an opinion on a specific off-season. Harrison and Wallace are the only two guys I can say for sure we've lost from last year without looking it up. I couldn't name a single addition.

Azkals

Jun 15, 2012
:laugh: it must really suck to get busted for PEDs and still not be any good.

also, if the Riverhounds ever want to become really popular in Pittsburgh and one day make it to the MLS, they're gonna have to fix that logo and get some Black and Gold kits.

aren't they playing Wigan Athletic tonight? is there anywhere to watch it online or something?

They got new black and gold kits for this season, the blue kits are their 3rd jerseys. Also, all their games are on USL Nation.

Highlights... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfFR9FfDGFc

Also, Dejan had a great writeup about the night... http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevic/2013/07/19/beautiful-night-beautiful-city-beautiful-game/

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
What are people's experiences with StubHub for tickets?

To have worry free experience, go with Penguins ticket exchange. It is the only guaranteed site for purchasing Penguins tickets. Especially coming the distance you are traveling, I would use the PTE.

But having said that, if you use Stubhub, you should be fine.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Just a bit worried as it's likely the tickets won't be on that website until late August. Don't want to miss out.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Just a bit worried as it's likely the tickets won't be on that website until late August. Don't want to miss out.

Oh, gotcha. Understandable.

After PTE, I would say that stubhub is the next best option.

They are used by major league baseball as their ticket exchange site. So they are big-time. And reliable.

Just read up on their policies for overseas delivery. As I say they are reliable but that is as a purchaser here in the states.

Last edited:

Azkals

Jun 15, 2012

I've sold and bought hundreds of tickets on Stubhub and Pens Ticket Exchange. Both are great and you are guaranteed to get your tickets, I've never had any problems. Stubhub also has amazing customer service.

IMHO, I think you should wait to buy Pens tickets, tickets always start out high and the longer you wait the cheaper they get. Only exceptions are when something crazy happens, like Crosby coming back from injury.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
We might need a dedicated Steelers thread now with camp open. I don't know about you guys but I'm definitely starting to get ready for some football.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I hope the rookies, specifically Jarvis Jones and Le'veon Bell, actually get a fair chance to compete for the starting job in their respective positions.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hope the rookies, specifically Jarvis Jones and Le'veon Bell, actually get a fair chance to compete for the starting job in their respective positions.

bylsma1_330.jpg

wait, that's not right

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
bylsma1_330.jpg

wait, that's not right

The standard is the standard, and starting rookies is not the standard in Stiller land.

On a side note, Ravens TE Dennis Pitta is done for the season with a fractured or dislocated hip. Considering they traded Boldin and were already short on reliable receiving options, that's a HUGE loss for Baltimore.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Standards whatever...what we have at both positions isn't good enough for the rookies to not force their hand.

Bell may not start the season as the starter, but by the time October comes up I'd be shocked if he's not the de facto starter. Jones faces a little tougher competition, but if an injury doesn't happen (when concerning Steelers linebackers of late it's always wise to bet on an injury) then it should only be a matter of time before he out-classes Worilds, who just isn't very good.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The standard is the standard, and starting rookies is not the standard in Stiller land.

On a side note, Ravens TE Dennis Pitta is done for the season with a fractured or dislocated hip. Considering they traded Boldin and were already short on reliable receiving options, that's a HUGE loss for Baltimore.
So this then?
Mike_Tomlin_3.jpg

Standards whatever...what we have at both positions isn't good enough for the rookies to not force their hand.

Bell may not start the season as the starter, but by the time October comes up I'd be shocked if he's not the de facto starter. Jones faces a little tougher competition, but if an injury doesn't happen (when concerning Steelers linebackers of late it's always wise to bet on an injury) then it should only be a matter of time before he out-classes Worilds, who just isn't very good.

so what can you tell me about these Jones and Bell characters?

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
They'll both wind up starting. I'm excited to see how our receiving corps winds up. It's actually pretty good and Wheaton could be awesome.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Have not kept up with the steelers offseason, but was shocked to see no Batch or Lefty on the qb depth chart.

Funny thing on Batch.

A couple days after the draft in which we selected a Qb, Batch said he knew his playing days with the Steelers were over.

Batch was on the FAN, and was asked questions about the Steelers chances and he answered all the questions with "they" when referring to the Steelers, and was very forth coming. Going at length about all the teams weaknesses. Of which he thought there were many. He wasn't real high on the Steelers chances at success this season.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Funny thing on Batch.

A couple days after the draft in which we selected a Qb, Batch said he knew his playing days with the Steelers were over.

Batch was on the FAN, and was asked questions about the Steelers chances and he answered all the questions with "they" when referring to the Steelers, and was very forth coming. Going at length about all the teams weaknesses. Of which he thought there were many. He wasn't real high on the Steelers chances at success this season.

I never heard this interview, but a lot of football minds across the country have the Steelers pegged in as the third best team in the division and missing the playoffs again. Hard to argue with most of them. There's a huge concern at depth for the Steelers and question marks at a lot of positions. That's not to say they are incapable of having a good season, or even winning the division (especially since the Ravens lost Pitta for the year), but the skepticism regarding the Steelers is justified.

Also some notes regarding the Steelers I don't think were posted here. Supposedly Ben and Todd Haley are buddy-buddy now and the offense is being tweaked to make Ben feel more comfortable. It's expected this year's offense will be more vertical than last year.

Also, the o-line is going to use a zone-blocking scheme. So we'll likely see a lot of cut-blocks and stretch runs this year. From what I can understand, zone-blocking schemes are a bit more finesse than the power-running the Steelers have done in the past.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I'm not as doom and gloom about us this year. I think this team is better than last year's. Especially on offense. Losing heath blows, but in general its better.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I'm optimistic about the Steelers making the playoffs, but I do have concerns about the team. Going through the positions:

1. QB. Ben can't stay healthy anymore and he is slowly dipping farther down into the 2nd tier group of qb's. He has had so many injuries in his career that he is essentially playing perpetually injured at this point. I'd be surprised if he is still playing in 2015.

2. OL. Losing Colon pretty much crippled us last season. I understand that DeCastro was a rookie and coming off of injury, but those were the worst performances I have ever seen out of an offensive lineman, ever. I have never seen anyone fail in every aspect of line play before. Hopefully he has regained his lost strength and is ready to play this season.

3. RB. The RB issues last season can be almost 100% traced back to Colon's injury. The line just wasn't the same at all without him. Dwyer is under-rated in my opinion and I'm confident he will outplay Bell next season. Hopefully Bell eventually becomes the 3-down dream back of our dreams, but RB is really not holding us back.

4. WR/TE. I think our WR core is very solid. Sanders will likely have a breakout year. The TE thing could be an issue since we have become overly-reliant on Heath.

5. DL. Losing Hampton is addition by subtraction at this point. McClendon looked great in the 5 snaps/game they gave him. Hopefully Heyward knocks Hood out of the lineup, but really neither has been impressive so far.

6. LB. Harrison was a shell of his former self and I'm actually looking fwd to what Worilds and Jones can bring. The key will be Woodley being healthy and in shape (if that is still possible).

7. DB. This could get bad. Injury concerns across the board. Untested depth players. If healthy, they are a very solid group, if...

8. ST. I swear there are games where P (on both sides of the ball) had more to do with us losing than any other position. How hard is it to find a good P?!?

Injuries were the biggest factor last season. If they stay healthy, I can honestly see them going 11-5. Their schedule is one of their easiest in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad