OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Pathetic Steelers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
So Chase Thomas and Kevin Reddick both had 3rd-4th round grades on them going into the draft. Both went undrafted. Saints got both of them. They seriously bolstered their draft class with those two pick ups.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Sounds good to me. I'd imagine they'd dump Dwyer if they do wind up signing Bradshaw.

RB Depth
Bradshaw
Bell
Redman
Stephens-Howling

The Steelers still need to sign a couple veteran lineman too. Max Starks would be ideal as tackle depth if he's willing to take a backup job. I suppose someone like Winston Justice could be a fallback at some point if Starks refuses to comeback here. I don't know why he would though. No one else is offering him a starters job and it's entirely possible Marcus Gilbert or Mike Adams may wet the bed as a starter and Starks winds up starting again.

Legursky may also be brought back. Although I'd prefer they sign Antoine Caldwell who they had in for a visit a while ago since he's also young, experienced and a good bit bigger than Legursky.

I also wonder if they'll bring Casey Hampton back. Hard to imagine them being comfortable with Alameda Ta'amu and Hebron Fangupo backing up at NT unless Ta'amu suddenly finds the form that made the Steelers want to trade up to get him in the 4th round last year.

I like that RB depth.

Yeah I agree about signing Starks to compete for a starting job, he wants to start and be paid, but he's just not a hot commodity on the market.

I think they will re-sign Hampton on the cheap also, just like Starks, Hampton isn't really a hot commodity either, so if they want to continue their NFL careers, it will most likely be with the Steelers.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
So Chase Thomas and Kevin Reddick both had 3rd-4th round grades on them going into the draft. Both went undrafted. Saints got both of them. They seriously bolstered their draft class with those two pick ups.

That's good for them, if a team needed rookie depth this year it's the Saints, now I didn't look but who signed Da'Rick Rodgers?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
That's good for them, if a team needed rookie depth this year it's the Saints, now I didn't look but who signed Da'Rick Rodgers?

The Bills signed Rogers.

It is interesting to see the disconnect between public scouting services and teams. Every year you see guys projected to go in the mid rounds that wind up undrafted. Public scouting services liked Chase Thomas and Kevin Reddick but NFL teams obviously found something wrong with them during their evaluations.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The Steelers signed veteran tackle Guy Whimper today. That could spell the end of Starks time here. Although the Steelers needed to sign a few veteran lineman either way which we've talked about before on here recently.

UDFA rookie center Ivory Wade and UDFA rookie defensive tackle Anthony Rashad-White were released to make room for Whimper and Terence Garvin. Garvin was a tryout LB out of WVU that impressed enough to stick around over Rashad-White and Wade apparently.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Whimper is complete and utter trash and annually in the running for worst tackle in the NFL.

Why the Steelers seem to hate having Starks on the roster in the summer I can't figure out. As a safety valve he's as good as you can possibly get and it's clear no one else is ever interested in him.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Whimper is complete and utter trash and annually in the running for worst tackle in the NFL.

Why the Steelers seem to hate having Starks on the roster in the summer I can't figure out. As a safety valve he's as good as you can possibly get and it's clear no one else is ever interested in him.

Well, Whimper might not stay, he could get cut this summer and Starks (or someone else) can be brought in.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
It isn't the Steelers that don't want to sign Starks. I think it's Starks doesn't want to sign with the Steelers unless the money and/or role is to his liking. He knows the Steelers want to give every opportunity to Adams and Gilbert to start and he's in no hurry to sign for minimum wage to play backup. Whimper seems like a fallback. He can likely easily be rid of if Starks ever decides to sign.

The Steelers only have one shore fire backup spot filled and that's Beachum. They still need to sign a couple veteran lineman. Whimper is probably their fallback for one of those spots in case Starks refuses to comeback at any point. The Steelers will need to sign a veteran center/guard like Legursky or Caldwell. I think Golic Jr. or Embernate will stick as a developmental lineman.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If I were a betting man I'd bet that Embernate will make the 53 man roster...but he's not going to be one of the 7 to dress.

It's obvious that we needed another veteran and that Whimper is nothing but a failsafe...but I don't think he'd do a better job than Embernate or Golic Jr. This is a guy who allowed sacks in 9 consecutive games the last time he was a starter. Starks probably gets the call if we need a guy to be starting at that spot...but the cap concerns me. We may be in a situation where we won't be able to just count on Starks being there this time around.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
If I were a betting man I'd bet that Embernate will make the 53 man roster...but he's not going to be one of the 7 to dress.

It's obvious that we needed another veteran and that Whimper is nothing but a failsafe...but I don't think he'd do a better job than Embernate or Golic Jr. This is a guy who allowed sacks in 9 consecutive games the last time he was a starter. Starks probably gets the call if we need a guy to be starting at that spot...but the cap concerns me. We may be in a situation where we won't be able to just count on Starks being there this time around.

I agree on Embernate.

Whimper signed for a $555,000 cap hit. He only counts $75,000 against the cap right now with displacement. The bigger thing is that he didn't get a signing bonus so the Steelers can cut him at any point with no dead money and re-sign Starks or whoever else they want to use that cap space on.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Old news from yesterday but Max Starks is officially gone. He signed with the Chargers.

The Steelers wanted Starks back but the Chargers offered him a better chance to start. The Steelers want to play Gilbert and Adams and see what they have in those two. I read Gilbert opened OTA's at LT and Adams at RT.

GeorgesLaRAWK

Mar 12, 2009
James Harrison was seated in a booth next to me last night at a restaurant down the road from Paul Brown Stadium.

I'd never interrupt someone's dinner, but I did talk to him briefly on his way out. He's as unfriendly as you'd expect.

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
James Harrison was seated in a booth next to me last night at a restaurant down the road from Paul Brown Stadium.

I'd never interrupt someone's dinner, but I did talk to him briefly on his way out. He's as unfriendly as you'd expect.

Sounds like he missed a massage appointment.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Robbie Rogers replaces Juninho in tonight's LA Galaxy-Seattle Sounders game, and in doing so is the first active and openly homosexual player to play professionally in any of the top five leagues in the US/Canada.

Still hate the Galaxy traded Mike Magee to get him, but it's great to see Rogers back in the game and I have no doubt he'll be a great addition. It always kinda bugs me when players retire only to change their minds a few months later, but I think Rogers gets a pass on that one.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

He's notorious for being an ******* on and off the field. Every person I know who has had run in's with James Harrison has said he was a complete jerk.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
YouTube-GregLloydTributeWATCHINHIGHQUALITY_1283189364063.png

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Add Jack Lambert to the list of great Steeler LB's who supposedly are complete jack ***** in public.

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk
Hello there Pittsburghers, flying down to Washington, DC tomorrow and have been seriously contemplating driving to Pittsburgh to catch a game sometime in the next week. Just wondering how scarce are the scalped tickets at the moment and what kind of prices should i expect to pay? Just dont want to drive down there and not be able to get a ticket.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Hello there Pittsburghers, flying down to Washington, DC tomorrow and have been seriously contemplating driving to Pittsburgh to catch a game sometime in the next week. Just wondering how scarce are the scalped tickets at the moment and what kind of prices should i expect to pay? Just dont want to drive down there and not be able to get a ticket.

Getting a ticket should be no problem at all provided that you have the necessary capital to do so. Hockey ticket resale is one of Pittsburgh's fastest growing industries.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Spence staying positive

Linebacker Sean Spence is determined not only to make that "miraculous" comeback and return to play football, but to do it this season with the Steelers.

"I'm going to continue to attack this like I'm going to play this year," Spence said after watching another spring practice Wednesday. "I'm in meeting and preparing as if I'm practicing. I'm just going to continue to get better and I'm looking forward to the season."

"I know I'm going to beat the odds," Spence said. "I'm not even worried about that. The progress that I have made, the doctors say that I've already beat the odds. I'm just keeping my faith in God and knowing he's going to give me another chance."

"It's healing," Spence said of the nerve damage, adding that he has been running. "It's healing slow, but I'm making progress each and every week."

Full article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad