OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Pathetic Steelers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Adams is expected to make a full recovery, thankfully. It's also noted he should be ready for training camp.

What a **** hole the South Side has become.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I refuse to step foot on most of the south side. There are so many quieter, cleaner areas with the same amenities around pittsburgh. South side adds no value to the pittsburgh food and drink scene. I'll go as far as the Cheesecake Factory or hofbrahaus and that's IT.

hamster

May 30, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
I work in the Southside, and I can tell you that I can't wait to leave at day's end. It is turning out to be the new Strip District, where the riff raff is moving in. That and drunken 20 year olds.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Colts and RB Ahmad Bradshaw agreed to one-year deal.

I think the Steelers are prepared to go into the season with either Dwyer or Bell as the starter.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Colts and RB Ahmad Bradshaw agreed to one-year deal.

I think the Steelers are prepared to go into the season with either Dwyer or Bell as the starter.

I really hope Dwyer isn't on the team when the season starts. They already have Bell, Stephens-Howling, Redman, and Batch, and likely Will Johnson at FB. Hopefully they use tubby's roster spot for another position.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Dwyer is fine as a 2nd or 3rd option.

Bradshaw went out the window as an option in Pittsburgh the second we drafted Bell. The workload will be split amongst the crew until/unless someone forces their way into getting the majority of carries.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I refuse to step foot on most of the south side. There are so many quieter, cleaner areas with the same amenities around pittsburgh. South side adds no value to the pittsburgh food and drink scene. I'll go as far as the Cheesecake Factory or hofbrahaus and that's IT.

I'll sneak over to fatheads from the other end too.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Dwyer is fine as a 2nd or 3rd option.

Bradshaw went out the window as an option in Pittsburgh the second we drafted Bell. The workload will be split amongst the crew until/unless someone forces their way into getting the majority of carries.

When you consider who the Steelers already have at RB, Dwyer's roster spot is best served for another position once the season starts. I can understand keeping him around for training camp and the preseason in case one of the other RBs gets hurts, but if they all make it through healthy, no reason to keep Dwyer at all.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I keep Dwyer 100 times out of 100 over Batch personally and there's no way we go into the season with fewer than 4 natural RBs.

I agree with this even though I don't want to. Since learning what an interesting dude Batch is around his draft, I've wanted him on the team and to be successful. But he doesn't bring enough to the table, even though Dwyer could be considered redundant.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
I agree with this even though I don't want to. Since learning what an interesting dude Batch is around his draft, I've wanted him on the team and to be successful. But he doesn't bring enough to the table, even though Dwyer could be considered redundant.

I am with you on Batch. I love the personal stuff withhim, but I have not seen enoughon the field. Although, myself I would be more inclined to go with Bell, Dwyer, Stephens-Howling, Batch, and Johnson. I do not see what the fascination is with Redman.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Oh I agree, Batch is an interesting guy (how many football players can be considered artists?) and I want him to succeed...I just don't see anything more than replacement-level NFL guy in him. Dwyer isn't redundant until Bell shows what he can do and he's certainly the more talented of the two.

nazembiggs*

I haven't really looked much into bell since we drafted him, but is he more of a power back or a guy who uses his speed?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I wouldn't imagine that Batch would see many snaps if he were kept. The Steelers would probably use Bell, Stephens-Howling, and Redman the majority of the time for various situations.

As for why people might take Redman over Dwyer.... Redman doesn't show up to camp overweight each season.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't imagine that Batch would see many snaps if he were kept. The Steelers would probably use Bell, Stephens-Howling, and Redman the majority of the time for various situations.

As for why people might take Redman over Dwyer.... Redman doesn't show up to camp overweight each season.

Also, Redzone is an awesome nickname.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I haven't really looked much into bell since we drafted him, but is he more of a power back or a guy who uses his speed?

He's not slow, but he's definitely not a speed back.

I balk at using the term power back because of what it brings up in the minds of Steelers fans, the Jerome Bettis breed of running back is dead in the NFL...but Bell is of the ilk that closest resembles it at this point in time...that is to say he's in that 230-240 pound range and isn't afraid to run right into people...but he's not going to just throw defenders on their backsides with little issue and he's definitely got a higher top speed...and...well, he can fly...buses don't tend to be terribly aerodynamic.

leveon-bell.jpg

I want to see what we have with him before getting too excited. Running backs seem to fail and succeed randomly in this league at this point, so I'm not allowing myself to see Bell as anything more than an option. I'm scared by his workload last year, but at least he only had that one workhorse 300+ season and left after his junior year so there shouldn't be too much concern going forward about him being spent already. Bell had more carries than Montee Ball last year, who carried the ball so much at Wisconsin that he wasn't on some teams draft boards...but Ball played all 4 years at Wisconsin, had 3 seasons as the featured back, and 2 seasons of 300+ carries. The gamebreaker for Bell in the NFL is going to be if he can be a receiving option out of the backfield. He topped 30 receptions each of the past 2 seasons, including 35 (for 267) in 2011 when he wasn't the full-time starter.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I balk at using the term power back because of what it brings up in the minds of Steelers fans, the Jerome Bettis breed of running back is dead in the NFL...but Bell is of the ilk that closest resembles it at this point in time...that is to say he's in that 230-240 pound range and isn't afraid to run right into people...but he's not going to just throw defenders on their backsides with little issue and he's definitely got a higher top speed.

leveon-bell.jpg

what are you talking about? That picture right there looks EXACTLY like a play the Bus would have made :laugh:

so good news for me for football season. Half of charleston seems to be steelers fans :laugh:

nazembiggs*

I balk at using the term power back because of what it brings up in the minds of Steelers fans, the Jerome Bettis breed of running back is dead in the NFL...but Bell is of the ilk that closest resembles it at this point in time...that is to say he's in that 230-240 pound range and isn't afraid to run right into people...but he's not going to just throw defenders on their backsides with little issue and he's definitely got a higher top speed...and...well, he can fly...buses don't tend to be terribly aerodynamic.

Thanks for the great breakdown, gives me a better idea of what to aspect.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Some Nielsen numbers, Pittsburgh viewing.

Game 3 Stanley Cup finals drew a 2.2 in Pittsburgh. The NBA finals last night drew a 6.6 here, and a 9.3 after midnight. The Pirates game last night averaged 8.

Pittsburghers not watching hockey now.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I always take a round off after the Penguins get eliminated. I've seen 3 minutes of this series and I really just don't care enough to watch more.

In a week or so I'll get that urge to watch hockey back again, and by that point the season will be over. Ho hum.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The media reaction over all the things Aaron Hernandez is involved in made me remember how knee-jerk they all were when Ben had his issues in 2010. With Ben, people in the media were demanding punishment hours after the news came out, and the NFL was making knee-jerk statements about how Ben put a bad light on it. When it was all said and done, there was nothing to charge Ben with.

With Hernandez, the NFL is quiet and ESPN hasn't spent much time on it. He supposedly shot a guy in the face back in February, now he may have been involved in a murder a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad