OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Pathetic Steelers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Time will tell if this was a mistake or not. But this has regret written all over it. Unless that toe was fused a couple of weeks ago it certainly never held him back when he played. I hope that the Steelers were right on this, but I doubt it. Players who get passed like this usually turn out and make the teams passing them regret it.

On top of that Bell looked incredibly slow and unimpressive on film. Yeah he had a ton of production in a big conference, but he just has nothing nifty looking about him at all. I wonder how he will do at the next level against better players than he faced in college and can not just muscle people as he could in college. I think that is more of a worry than a toe that did not seem to effect Lacy at all.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Time will tell if this was a mistake or not. But this has regret written all over it. Unless that toe was fused a couple of weeks ago it certainly never held him back when he played. I hope that the Steelers were right on this, but I doubt it. Players who get passed like this usually turn out and make the teams passing them regret it.

On top of that Bell looked incredibly slow and unimpressive on film. Yeah he had a ton of production in a big conference, but he just has nothing nifty looking about him at all. I wonder how he will do at the next level against better players than he faced in college and can not just muscle people as he could in college. I think that is more of a worry than a toe that did not seem to effect Lacy at all.

A turf toe is an incurable thing. You can try to rectify it, but it will always come back.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
You can argue either way. Bell played in a weaker conference but he also had nowhere near the O-Line and overall supporting cast that Lacie had. Bell also had a clean bill of health while Lacie had the toe issue.

I can see why the Steelers picked Bell. In the tape I watched he had good feet and was athletic enough to be an early down back but also big enough to be a short yardage back and had good enough hands to play on passing downs and catch the ball out of the backfield. A guy that can play on all 3 downs like that was a huge part of the criteria for the Steelers. Also part of the criteria was a young back with a unique combination of experience but not too much wear and tear on the body. Bell got a lot of carries last season but he only started two years at Michigan State and just turned 21.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

For every Rodgers there is a Boller, Grossman, Leinart, Losman, Quinn, etc who slid and busted out.

It is more rare a guy who slides makes teams regret passing on him, than vice versa. We just usually pay attention to the rare cases and forget about the plethora of sliders who never become successful.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
The more I read/watch about the Steelers' draft the more I like it (yes, I actually watched the coaches press conference on each player). I feel that there is a high probability that our first four picks are all impact players in the NFL within the next 2 years. I think all four become starters within that time as well (Wheaton is probably already a starter next and Jones & Bell will get regular playing time this season).

The last four picks are all high risk & potentially high reward players. Very possible that none of them end up having significant NFL careers, but the talent & physical skill sets are at least there and it was no accident that they ended up on the team. They had actually known about Nic Williams for a while now and the D-Line coach seems very pleased to be able to work and develop his natural skills into pro football skills. If at least one of these players ends up having a career along with the first four picks then it is an A+ draft.

Landry Jones is the biggest question mark (in terms of how much upside or downside he has), but from the Steelers point of view there was a lot of value to choose him where they did. The good news is that he was selected at a point in which he'll be the 3rd QB for quite a while and has a lot of time to develop. Not trying to single him out, but it will be much harder to gauge him than the other players and could stay that way for some time.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Went to the Ducks vs Yotes game last night with a group of people. I tend to wear a Pens jersey and usually get a comment or to, but last night was was fantastic. I was wearing my throwback Lemieux jersey on this occasion.

- Immediately after I walked in, a guy in the old blue jersey came up and gave me a high five, stating 'I thought I was gonna get my ass kicked in here!'
- At the beer stand, the lady joked that she was going to charge me $30 more for wearing my jersey.
- When going up the steps to my seat, a random girl started shouting 'GO PENS!' at me, so gave her a high-five.
- When in the bathroom, I got a comment about 'Lemieux being on the wrong coast', so just turned around and gave them a grinning thumbs up.

But none of those would match what happened after the game.

- We were waiting to cross the road outside the Honda center and I heard a car honking behind me. I ignored it for a bit as I just thought it was some guy honking for the Ducks or something, but he kept honking.

Eventually, I turned around to see what the deal was, and saw the guy still honking and waving out of his window with music blaring. Then I looked a little closer and saw he had a Pens logo emblazoned across the ENTIRE HOOD of his car. I duly acknowledged the awesomeness and he drove off honking. A guy with a Pens car in the middle of OC? Entirely random!

THAT is why I enjoy wearing a Pens jersey to the Honda Center when I go there. I love it.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think Jones and Bell wind up starting this season. Wheaton will be a question mark depending on how well Plax, Brown and Sanders play

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Golic talking about his son signing with the Steelers on Mike and Mike. He has the Steelers helmet on the desk next to the Notre Dame helmet and he waived the terrible towel. :laugh:

iHrkN2KnAW6xP.GIF

Last edited:

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
A lot of teams passed on Lacy until Green Bay finally picked him in late second round. Green Bay also picked Jonathan Franklin in 4th round in case Lacy doesn't work out.

I actually like Bell more right now. Initially, I didn't like this pick but now I understand why Steelers picked him. I think he will do better than Mendy. Bell has high character so he is not going to do stupid things like Mendy did.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I wanted to tune in for that. I figured he'd be ecstatic.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Went to the Ducks vs Yotes game last night with a group of people. I tend to wear a Pens jersey and usually get a comment or to, but last night was was fantastic. I was wearing my throwback Lemieux jersey on this occasion.

- Immediately after I walked in, a guy in the old blue jersey came up and gave me a high five, stating 'I thought I was gonna get my ass kicked in here!'
- At the beer stand, the lady joked that she was going to charge me $30 more for wearing my jersey.
- When going up the steps to my seat, a random girl started shouting 'GO PENS!' at me, so gave her a high-five.
- When in the bathroom, I got a comment about 'Lemieux being on the wrong coast', so just turned around and gave them a grinning thumbs up.

But none of those would match what happened after the game.

- We were waiting to cross the road outside the Honda center and I heard a car honking behind me. I ignored it for a bit as I just thought it was some guy honking for the Ducks or something, but he kept honking.

Eventually, I turned around to see what the deal was, and saw the guy still honking and waving out of his window with music blaring. Then I looked a little closer and saw he had a Pens logo emblazoned across the ENTIRE HOOD of his car. I duly acknowledged the awesomeness and he drove off honking. A guy with a Pens car in the middle of OC? Entirely random!

THAT is why I enjoy wearing a Pens jersey to the Honda Center when I go there. I love it.

Good stuff. Very cool.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Tebow would just switch positions, he could be a good football player. He wants to be a QB though. Seems like at this point in time, he's cutting his nose off just to spite his face.

Become an h-back/TE, and become much more valuable instantly.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
If Tebow would just switch positions, he could be a good football player. He wants to be a QB though. Seems like at this point in time, he's cutting his nose off just to spite his face.

Become an h-back/TE, and become much more valuable instantly.

Agreed. He had some success at Denver so that's why he refused to play in other positions. He feels he can find some success as QB again if he can find a team.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He could make more money, play more downs, and have more job security if he just switched his position. I just think he as a very stubborn, short sighted, and incorrect view of what he is and what he could become.

chuppa chupp

star gazing
Apr 14, 2009
somewhere out there
I'm not saying Tebow is a great or even good quarterback, but he's gotta be better than half of the league's backups. And I'd rather have him starting than bums like Blaine Gabbert and John Skelton. I can't believe Jacksonville wouldn't even sign him.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
No Mike Wallace discussion?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/dolphins-wr-mike-wallace-comes-out-as-stupid-assho,32252/

“I’m really proud of Mike for coming out and openly admitting he’s a complete ****ing *******,” said Wallace’s former Pittsburgh Steelers teammate Troy Polamalu after the Dolphins receiver posted on Twitter announcing that he is and has always been an insensitive, ignorant ****.

What a huge loss

Edited to clarify that the quote is from The Onion and obviously fake. Real tweets though.

Last edited:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Just reminds me why I never get attached to football players. 80% of the league are either thugs, ****** bags, hicks, morons or a combination of two or more.

chuppa chupp

star gazing
Apr 14, 2009
somewhere out there
Just reminds me why I never get attached to football players. 80% of the league are either thugs, ****** bags, hicks, morons or a combination of two or more.

It's hard to relate to them because the majority of them have 5th grade educations and the mindset of a 16 year old kid who just won the lottery.

The NFL has fallen to a distant 3rd behind the NHL and college football as my favorite sport, and it might sink even lower in the next year or two. My interest level in it has nosedived a ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad