HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bergevin was tough to judge in the moment. Most of his moves looked bad, but a few of them worked out surprisingly well. The problems were mostly fundamental and less visible, not valuing good players, trading away too many picks, absolutely trashing player development.

It’s obvious he was bad in retrospect, but at the time some of them things I blasted him for worked out. Therrien had a good season or two, Domi scored, PK crapped out a season or two after the trade.

No question he was bad, but he had enough unexpected successes that he could fake competence.
Price was the reason the majority of the time we had good seasons..............dragging the team into the playoffs, and then Price was the reason we finished low in the standings when he got hurt.
Bergevin and Therrien, we beyond awful at their jobs for the most part....
Flawed philosophy from the get go......................Mol$on was a sucker for 10 years.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I rarely go out of my way to give Bergevin and Timmins much credit but the 2021 draft could turn out to be one of the best draft years in recent Habs history.

Reactions: Andy

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I rarely go out of my way to give Bergevin and Timmins much credit but the 2021 draft could turn out to be one of the best draft years in recent Habs history.

Which is why I always said that the development was the bigger issue and the draft wasn't as big a problem as it was made out to be. It had its flaws, as well. But the prospects didn't have as many things at their disposal as they do now. Most of it depended on the players only whereas now it depends on the players, but the organization offers them tools to work with (hockey development with Nicholas, more player development coaches and consultants, and a mental performance coach).

Caufield, Guhle, Roy, Mailloux, Struble, RHP, Primeau, Farrell, Dobes, Tuch, Kapanen, Kidney, Trudeau, Simoneau. Some will top out at the AHL level, but these are a big part of why there is depth.

I'll even include guys like Romanov, Harris, Sergachev, and KK, who are no longer with the organisation, but are full time NHL'ers. In hindsight, KK at 3 was the wrong pick, but he is still a full time NHL'er. All Timmins picks.

So Timmins and Churla deserve credit.

Although I also feel like under Bobrov/Lapointe, the same group of amateur scouts do a better job. Because under this regime, the same scouts got: Slaf, Demidov, Reinbacher, Beck, Hutson, Mesar, Engstrom, Fowler, Florian, Hage, Konyushkov, Volokhin, Eriksson, Davidson, Thorpe among others.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Which is why I always said that the development was the bigger issue and the draft wasn't as big a problem as it was made out to be. It had its flaws, as well. But the prospects didn't have as many things at their disposal as they do now. Most of it depended on the players only whereas now it depends on the players, but the organization offers them tools to work with (hockey development with Nicholas, more player development coaches and consultants, and a mental performance coach).

Caufield, Guhle, Roy, Mailloux, Struble, RHP, Primeau, Farrell, Dobes, Tuch, Kapanen, Kidney, Trudeau, Simoneau. Some will top out at the AHL level, but these are a big part of why there is depth.

I'll even include guys like Romanov, Harris, Sergachev, and KK, who are no longer with the organisation, but are full time NHL'ers. In hindsight, KK at 3 was the wrong pick, but he is still a full time NHL'er. All Timmins picks.

Although I also feel like under Bobrov/Lapointe, the same group of amateur scouts do a better job. Because under this regime, the same scouts got: Slaf, Demidov, Reinbacher, Beck, Hutson, Mesar, Engstrom, Fowler, Florian, Hage, Konyushkov, Volokhin, Eriksson, Davidson, Thorpe among others.
Well said

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
2021 and 2022 drafts might set up this club for a while:

Mailloux, Kapanen, Roy, Slafkovsky, Beck, Hutson....outside chance of Engstrom making an impact.

Getting 6 nhlers, two possible stars in back-to-back drafts might set up this team for a few years.

Reactions: Rapala

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
2021 and 2022 drafts might set up this club for a while:

Mailloux, Kapanen, Roy, Slafkovsky, Beck, Hutson....outside chance of Engstrom making an impact.

Getting 6 nhlers, two possible stars in back-to-back drafts might set up this team for a few years.
💯

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

The greatest difference for me is quite simply the thought put into the process in terms of who we are and who is a fit.
Development aside I'm thinking we would have avoided a few disasters in the past had we taken this approach.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Better than 2014-2019, but I think 2020 will be pretty similar (Guhle, Tuch, Farrell and Dobes vs Mailloux, Kapanen and Roy) and 2022 (even without Slaf) should beat it pretty easily.

Funnily enough, Timmins last two drafts are probably in his top5.

Reactions: Andy

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Better than 2014-2019, but I think 2020 will be pretty similar (Guhle, Tuch, Farrell and Dobes vs Mailloux, Kapanen and Roy) and 2022 (even without Slaf) should beat it pretty easily.

Funnily enough, Timmins last two drafts are probably in his top5.
You are right that 2020 looks promising when you see how well Tuch and Dobes are progressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad