HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Geoff Mol$on was as big a donkey as Bergevin..................10 years squandered on the back on a goalie who had no chance of doing it all. Mol$on is lucky he was born into $$$$ Ownership should have ousted him......he is lucky the board didn't remove him.

That said, finally when the decision was made, about 5 years too late at least he made a great choice in Gorton, who made a great choice in Hughes.
An owner who blows with the wind eh.............

Better days ahead.
I always felt like Molson just stayed out of the way. He wasn’t a hockey guy and didn’t pretend to be. And that’s fine with me.

Except… he made a huge mistake hiring MB. Then re-upped with him long before he had to. Absolutely brutal and it’s 100 percent on him.

All that being said, maybe he’s learned from his mistakes. He went out and hired the best mgmt he could find. He dismissed the language stuff and seems to be focused on having the best mgmt team he can get. I have no complaints from that standpoint.

So yeah, absolutely blame him for MB. He deserves it. But credit him for Hugo. He deserves that too.

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
I don’t think the media had a problem with it. I don’t even know if Molson had a problem with it. He just seemed to be okay with MB running (ruining) the show.

The medias were definitly not ok with it. Even before the players started talking about playoffs at the end of season, some were saying they need to make the playoffs next year. Ratings have been terrible for the last 3 years.

But now they are the best in like... forever!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What's so good about him? (besides helping Marty with the concepts they're using)
Did you watch the video all 45 minutes of it?
It's more about helping the players be the very best they can be. ALL of them.
Creating drills that are fun while being extremely competitive.
Taking players out of their comfort zones. Utilizing every second of practice time productively.
Examining your own work as much as that of the players.
and more...

This is all designed to help the players read and react to real time situations.
And yes if you can't do this throw the whole concepts approach out the window.
I'm expecting a far different camp from what we saw last season.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We are finally bing operated by pros that run this team as a multibillion dollar business.
Not as the corner grocery store like back in the day

Polish-20240918-051908724.jpg

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What's so good about him? (besides helping Marty with the concepts they're using)
Out of the box thinking for modern NHL hockey. Proactive possession based game vs reactive defending game.

NHL has become much more of an NCAA game with every passing season - with no red line + infractions being adhered to by refs, good D starts in the Ozone not Jacques Lemaires neutral zone

That’s why a disproportionate # of NCAA coaches are being hired by NHL teams vs traditional CHL junior coaches

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think he’s also there to coach the coaches, give them feedback perspective on what they do.
The more accountability the better.
It's now an organization, and not The Gong Show, with big Biceps.
All the money in the world, and resources up the wazoo, and Mol$on doubled down on an idiot, with a good goalie....

I think he’s also there to coach the coaches, give them feedback perspective on what they do.
The more accountability the better.
It's now an organization, and not The Gong Show, with big Biceps.
All the money in the world, and resources up the wazoo, and Mol$on doubled down on an idiot, with a good goalie....

Reactions: jrom and Tyson

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The medias were definitly not ok with it. Even before the players started talking about playoffs at the end of season, some were saying they need to make the playoffs next year. Ratings have been terrible for the last 3 years.

But now they are the best in like... forever!
This. TVA Spanre, radio, La Presse and RDS have had parrots repeating ad nauseam that the rebuild needed to stop. Ratings and readership have gone down since the start of the rebuild.

I think Molson wants the ‘rennaissance’ to happen in time for the next local TV contract, next year. It will make for a great viewership cycle if the team becomes competitive. A lot of money is in play.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Out of the box thinking for modern NHL hockey. Proactive possession based game vs reactive defending game.

NHL has become much more of an NCAA game with every passing season - with no red line + infractions being adhered to by refs, good D starts in the Ozone not Jacques Lemaires neutral zone

That’s why a disproportionate # of NCAA coaches are being hired by NHL teams vs traditional CHL junior coaches
Yes and no. Playoffs are won by teams that do play the trap and the counter. Plus being absolute brutes in the Dzone.

If it would have been the high flying, puck possession hockey in the playoffs, Edmonton would have won it. Heck, Colorado maybe. Playoffs are still a very passive affair in systems.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Rob Ramage is pretty damn impressive. He created some life challenges for himself but somehow he found his way and seems to be a top notch human being.
I can't help but think how He and Danny Heatley would have been crucified in this day and age.

This. TVA Spanre, radio, La Presse and RDS have had parrots repeating ad nauseam that the rebuild needed to stop. Ratings and readership have gone down since the start of the rebuild.

I think Molson wants the ‘rennaissance’ to happen in time for the next local TV contract, next year. It will make for a great viewership cycle if the team becomes competitive. A lot of money is in play.
Montreal Canadiens

WE are the Mix.

Reactions: Tyson

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
What always annoyed me is how they constantly tried to blame it on the fans, that "the fans in Montréal wouldn't accept a rebuild" when it was obvious ownership and the media were the ones who truly had a problem with it.
Ownership forced GMs to trade good players for worse players with lower salaries but they wouldn’t rebuild. They figured the fans would accept perpetual mediocrity, the Ballard method.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yes and no. Playoffs are won by teams that do play the trap and the counter. Plus being absolute brutes in the Dzone.

If it would have been the high flying, puck possession hockey in the playoffs, Edmonton would have won it. Heck, Colorado maybe. Playoffs are still a very passive affair in systems.
Today’s playoffs, but with each passing year more GMs coming in are from NCAA background and more head coaches … once that population becomes dominant (which is going to happen within 5-yrs), the playoff game / infraction calls will reflect regular season.

2-more US based expansion teams incoming, both will likely be owned by hedge fund types meaning management will be analytics focused and NCAA background coaches ….

The game is tilting completely away from old school hockey types & CHL mindsets

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Agreed. Molson allowed the mess of 10 years of Bergevin.
Bergevin was tough to judge in the moment. Most of his moves looked bad, but a few of them worked out surprisingly well. The problems were mostly fundamental and less visible, not valuing good players, trading away too many picks, absolutely trashing player development.

It’s obvious he was bad in retrospect, but at the time some of them things I blasted him for worked out. Therrien had a good season or two, Domi scored, PK crapped out a season or two after the trade.

No question he was bad, but he had enough unexpected successes that he could fake competence.

Reactions: Jaynki and Tyson

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Bergevin was tough to judge in the moment. Most of his moves looked bad, but a few of them worked out surprisingly well. The problems were mostly fundamental and less visible, not valuing good players, trading away too many picks, absolutely trashing player development.

It’s obvious he was bad in retrospect, but at the time some of them things I blasted him for worked out. Therrien had a good season or two, Domi scored, PK crapped out a season or two after the trade.

No question he was bad, but he had enough unexpected successes that he could fake competence.
The move isolated one by one are not bad by any means.

Its the lack of plan and constant improvisation that tanked the whole thing.

Also, in hindsight, it was a toxic environment under his leadership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad