HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 3

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
A bold claim.

Reggie Houle gave away the greatest goalie of all time for magic beans. Not even magic beans. Just beans.

Gave away Damphousse and Recchi for nothing, and managed to turn Pierre Turgeon AND Craig Conroy into Shayne Corson and Murray Barron.

There’s 4 Hall of Famer’s for a net profit of negative 5000. It may never be replicated.

I hated Bargain Bin, but Reggie Houle might be the worst NHL GM of all time.
Houle had economic restrictions placed on him that Bergevin never had. Not an excuse, just context.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Houle had economic restrictions placed on him that Bergevin never had. Not an excuse, just context.
I will give you that as a small point. I mean Serge Savard said that he had a deal worked out for Roy that included getting Owen Nolan and other pieces coming back to Montreal. Much better than what dumbass Houle managed to get - plus he threw in the captain Mike Keane!!!

You can’t tell me that he got anything close to value on what he gave away. He managed to turn dollars into nickels pretty easily.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
A bold claim.

Reggie Houle gave away the greatest goalie of all time for magic beans. Not even magic beans. Just beans.

Gave away Damphousse and Recchi for nothing, and managed to turn Pierre Turgeon AND Craig Conroy into Shayne Corson and Murray Barron.

There’s 4 Hall of Famer’s for a net profit of negative 5000. It may never be replicated.

I hated Bargain Bin, but Reggie Houle might be the worst NHL GM of all time.
Reggie Houle,was a puppet..............you are really talking about Ronald Corey.
Greatest goalie of all time??? I loved Patrick but seriously, he was not the greatest......one of but not The greatest.

Anyhow Bergevin is clear and away winner of stupidity while running the team.

Reactions: Sorinth

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Reggie Houle,was a puppet..............you are really talking about Ronald Corey.
Greatest goalie of all time??? I loved Patrick but seriously, he was not the greatest......one of but not The greatest.

that's very debatable in my opinion he was one of the greatest if not the greatest goalie of all time.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Roy is absolutely in the conversation as the greatest goaltender of all time. Hasek is the only other name in that discussion for me and he never did what Roy did in the post season. Brodeur was a very good goalie but was overrated imo and benefited enormously from playing behind the best defensive team of his era and the coaching of Jacques Lemaire. Montreal's last Cup win would have been in 1979 if any other goalie not named Patrick Roy was in net for their 1986 and 1993 championship runs. Hasek would have eventually choked or got injured as he commonly did in the playoffs and Brodeur would not have stole the games that Patty did.

He is the only goaltender and incredibly the only player with 3 Conn Smythe awards and there has never been a goaltender who twice was such a clear and obvious choice as the playoff MVP.

There is no rational argument that has him anything less than the greatest playoff goaltender in modern history and that is easily the most important distinction when assessing who the greatest goalie of all time is.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Roy is absolutely in the conversation as the greatest goaltender of all time. Hasek is the only other name in that discussion for me and he never did what Roy did in the post season. Brodeur was a very good goalie but was overrated imo and benefited enormously from playing behind the best defensive team of his era and the coaching of Jacques Lemaire. Montreal's last Cup win would have been in 1979 if any other goalie not named Patrick Roy was in net for their 1986 and 1993 championship runs. Hasek would have eventually choked or got injured as he commonly did in the playoffs and Brodeur would not have stole the games that Patty did.

He is the only goaltender and incredibly the only player with 3 Conn Smythe awards and there has never been a goaltender who twice was such a clear and obvious choice as the playoff MVP.

There is no rational argument that has him anything less than the greatest playoff goaltender in modern history and that is easily the most important distinction when assessing who the greatest goalie of all time is.

Hasek is the greatest.. Roy is 2nd.. then Brodeur is solidly in 3rd, and the debate goes from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad