Training Camp Standouts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Grushnikov, Brzustewicz, Coronato, all look like they want NHL jobs based on the prospect tourney + preseason.
Vote Adam Klapka for 4RW.
Honzek has been impressive, his size and skating makes me believe he has a NHL 100+ games floor.

you gotta be a special kind of freak to live stream training camp sessions

Pumped that Honzek seems to be back on track. He had a rough year. Seems like he could be a 2nd line staple for a decade.

Not sure how they keep Coronato off the team to start, not sure who they'll drop. Signing Lomberg makes turning the 4th line into a skill line kind of awkward.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
That poster just said Hutsons defensive weaknesses were highlighted. Nowhere did he say Hutson was bad overall or that he didn’t dominate the game offensively. People are so insanely sensitive over their favorite players for no reason.

Hutson does not have the skating necessary to be a good defensive D at his size. He needs to work on that a lot or teams will exploit it heavily as the amount of tape on him grows, and that will make him a significant defensive liability. At the same time, he was dominant offensively and has the ability to be a top 5-10 offensive D in the league.

Both of these things can be true. Yall lack the ability to discuss things with any sort of nuance.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
That poster just said Hutsons defensive weaknesses were highlighted. Nowhere did he say Hutson was bad overall or that he didn’t dominate the game offensively. People are so insanely sensitive over their favorite players for no reason.

Hutson does not have the skating necessary to be a good defensive D at his size. He needs to work on that a lot or teams will exploit it heavily as the amount of tape on him grows, and that will make him a significant defensive liability. At the same time, he was dominant offensively and has the ability to be a top 5-10 offensive D in the league.

Both of these things can be true. Yall lack the ability to discuss things with any sort of nuance.
I don't think is skating his strong and it will need improvements but it's really not as bad as you make it out to be. Yesterday he got beat by Anthony Richard, this guy is in the top tier of skaters in pro hockey in terms of speed. Size is the concern with Hutson, maybe backward skating too. Speed really isn't an issue.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I don't think is skating his strong and it will need improvements but it's really not as bad as you make it out to be. Yesterday he got beat by Anthony Richard, this guy is in the top tier of skaters in pro hockey in terms of speed. Size is the concern with Hutson, maybe backward skating too. Speed really isn't an issue.
Backwards skating is part of skating. It is the most improtant part of skating as a defenseman. There are lots of very fast players in the NHL that can accelerate quick and will burn Hutson in transition because he lacks the backward skating ability to quickly start getting back when the counterattack begins abruptly. Pointing this out doesn’t take away from his wizardry in the O zone.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Backwards skating is part of skating. It is the most improtant part of skating as a defenseman. There are lots of very fast players in the NHL that can accelerate quick and will burn Hutson in transition because he lacks the backward skating ability to quickly start getting back when the counterattack begins abruptly. Pointing this out doesn’t take away from his wizardry in the O zone.
Again, it's not that bad. But for sure he's going to get burnt here and there. Specially by top tier skaters like Richard. I guess he'll just have to adjust and play more conservative against these skaters. A guy like Savard is far from fast, but rarely gets burn because he recognizes who and when he can play more aggressively at the blue line. It's a process and Hutson is not a finished product.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ah yes, Buffalo, Calgary, and Philly- the teams everyone predicted to be the toast of the league this season.

Eh, it's pre-season and I know Buffalo is playing about 80% of their regular roster in the two games thus far since they only have 1 more pre-season game with that group and it's in Munich.

DollardStLaurent

May 15, 2014
Again, it's not that bad. But for sure he's going to get burnt here and there. Specially by top tier skaters like Richard. I guess he'll just have to adjust and play more conservative against these skaters. A guy like Savard is far from fast, but rarely gets burn because he recognizes who and when he can play more aggressively at the blue line. It's a process and Hutson is not a finished product.
I wouldn't call Richard a top tier skater. He has good speed and is physical but skating is not one of his strengths.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Lane Hutson is gonna get beat defensively from time to time because literally every other guy in the NHL can bully him physically. But you accept that because his positive offensive contribution far out-weighs his defensive shortcomings. Simple as that.

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022

Lacking nuance is saying someone will be a significant defensive liability as if there was no outcome between a Slavin and a MAB

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I wouldn't call Richard a top tier skater. He has good speed and is physical but skating is not one of his strengths.
Physical? Skating not a strenght. I think you're thinking of another player. Skating is without a doubt a strenght and his strongest attribute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad