GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Football

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Pickett is a 23 year old playing college ball. His pocket presence isn't good. He has happy feet. His arm strength is so-so. His accuracy is above average but not great. He has future journeyman written all over him

Reactions: Pengwins

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Every time I watch a ratbirds game and the announcers wax poetic about how Jackson is a weapon unlike the league has ever seen, I think I must have hallucinated the Kordell and Vick years of my NFL viewing life.

I'm glad someone else is living the same hallucination.

Jackson is another RGIII moreso than Kordell or Vick.

Announcers/media have very short attention spans though.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Cunningham is another guy cut from the same cloth.

People lose their minds and act like the league has never seen a run first QB - but I have yet to see one of these guys dominate the league long term.

They ultimately get figured out and then either fade away or become nothing more than a decent starter.

I’m not sure how it will end for Jackson, as he has some talent as a thrower IMHO, but if I was a Ravens fan this 6-7 game stretch would have me concerned.

When Tomlin has your favorite QB figured out, that’s gotta be extremely worrisome as a fan.

I view QB's like Cunningham and Vick differently than Jackson. Those other guys could outrun most DB's and were threats to take it to the house every play- almost like Barry Sanders.

Jackson is more like RG3 or Kordell. They are harder to bring down because of their build vs their speed/elusiveness. Not saying they lack elusiveness but more comparing to Cunningham/Vick.

Funny thing about Randall- when his legs were gone he found decent success as a pocket passer. So in that regard I give him props for developing himself and becoming a better student of the game vs the rest of those guys mentioned.

Reactions: RustyRazor

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Doesn't matter when or where they draft. Tomlin doesn't develop these players properly. You had multiple vets last few weeks screaming for more practice. Kinda of an eye opener.

Reactions: Pengwins

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Doesn't matter when or where they draft. Tomlin doesn't develop these players properly. You had multiple vets last few weeks screaming for more practice. Kinda of an eye opener.

Thats why he needs to hire a real OC who can develop him.

If he hires another flunky, then ya it doesn’t matter what they do.

I suspect he will keep Canada on and ramble off some BS as usual though.

Reactions: Night Shift

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Steelers points by quarter

1st 2.8 (24th)
2nd 5.3 (26th)
3rd 2.6 (29th)
4th 9.3 (4th)

that tells you what we already know: either 1) it takes the coaching staff forever to figure out how to stem the bleeding or 2) nothing happens offensively under Canada’s offense until Ben decides to call most of the plays in no-huddle or the opposing defense wears down…lol

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Well the cba limits practice and amount of time players can spend at the facility. Limited number of padded practices

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
out of the QB class, Pickett has the best chance of being a franchise QB.

Competition is low, and the chances are slim.

Pickett is a 23 year old playing college ball. His pocket presence isn't good. He has happy feet. His arm strength is so-so. His accuracy is above average but not great. He has future journeyman written all over him

I'm right here. He'll have a long career as a backup. Good work if you can get it.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Exactly how many franchise Qbs has this org found outside of the top 12?
It may be smart to tank in a year with blue chip QB prospects like last year. But this year there are none. They're not going to tank for Pickett.

They'll get a late teens pick where they more often than not draft a perrenial pro bowler. Or maybe he'll be a bust like Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It may be smart to tank in a year with blue chip QB prospects like last year. But this year there are none. They're not going to tank for Pickett.

They'll get a late teens pick where they more often than not draft a perrenial pro bowler. Or maybe he'll be a bust like Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns.

No one knows dick about this years class.

They said 2017 was a terrible year for QBS and yet it produced Mahomes and Watson.

This years class was suppose to be the best in 10-15 years and while it’s early, none of these guys have looked good, in fact they look god awful to me.

Usually you will see potential in rookie QBs, but these guys look worrisome.

This doesn’t include Mac Jones who lucked into the best situation in football.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Mac Jones didn’t luck into anything. He’s a stellar pocket QB who was looked over by fad-followers obsessed with mobility and “upside”. Belichick runs a very complex offensive system that he had to scrap because Cam Newton couldn’t hack it. Jones is a rookie who’s running it pretty well already. Very promising. Especially if he ever gets decent WRs to throw to

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Mac Jones didn’t luck into anything. He’s a stellar pocket QB who was looked over by fad-followers obsessed with mobility and “upside”. Belichick runs a very complex offensive system that he had to scrap because Cam Newton couldn’t hack it. Jones is a rookie who’s running it pretty well already. Very promising. Especially if he ever gets decent WRs to throw to

Of course he lucked into it.

Going into a system that fit him like a T under the tutelage of BB is a massive stroke of luck.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
WTF are you talking about?

Every QB plays within a system - Jones is an accurate, rhythmic passer, which is ideally suited to the Erhardt-Perkins offense BB runs.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Don’t be obtuse. You know what “system QB” means

I’m aware what system they run. “Rhythmic passing” doesn’t provide as much of an advantage in it as it would a WCO or timed-route system. The system Bill runs is meant to be highly modifiable and Jones runs it very well for a rookie

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Why don’t you explain what a system QB is, because you are the one rambling on about it.

I said he landed in the ideal system for his talent under the best coach in the league - how you got to where we are now is beyond me.

And BB passing offense is all about rhythmic timing and quick reads.

You are misinterpreting the philosophy of E-P over how BB runs it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why can't both be true?

Most agree on two things.

1. Belichick is a great coach, albeit a morally dubious tool.

2. Jones has a ton of potential and was underrated in the draft.

It doesn't need to be one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad