OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Doritos Bowl Match Up - Taylor Swift vs San Andreas Fault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Arthur Smith's father is FedEx founder and former CEO Frederick W. Smith. Maybe some discounted shipping now on the South Side?

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh

This dropped in the middle of the Arthur Smith news, but Jeremiah is to me the best in the business for draft news. He’s usually pretty ahead of the game when it comes to ranking these prospects.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we start to see Powers-Johnson slide into the round 1 conversation at some point.

Given where these IOL slot I feel like a move back with CAR for their 2&3 would be perfect. Steelers would essentially have 3 second round picks to pick up the IOL they want plus two other decent upside players.

Based on this chart the #20 value exactly matches #33 + #65.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Given where these IOL slot I feel like a move back with CAR for their 2&3 would be perfect. Steelers would essentially have 3 second round picks to pick up the IOL they want plus two other decent upside players.

Trading back probably is the best move this year. Getting another 2nd would be massive.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭: #Chargers HC Jim Harbaugh will receive an average salary of $16 million a year, per Mike Florio.Harbaugh’s deal is reportedly for five years which would be an $80 million total

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I really think this draft is outstanding. They can take this many different directions. I think the most valuable player would be Cooper Dejean if he is there at 20. He's a Brian Branch Swiss Army knife. Jeremiah compared him to Eric Weddle. I love the top 2 centers. The RT prospects are probably the most insanely large and talented I've ever see. Guys 6'6-6'7, 330-360 pounds running a 4.8-5.0 40 yard dash. Absurd.

Reactions: Peat

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Who they hired kind of sends a message.

Basically that they are not going to change a thing about their philosophy of ball control, minimize errors, keep the offensive play calling within a couple of yards of the line of scrimmage and let your defense win.

They ran a run on first down every time offense for the last few years.

The message is that Tomlin's system, the antithesis of the current pass happy NFL, is correct and everyone else is wrong. The Steelers just need another guy to run it. One who had great running attacks in the past.

Reactions: MrBrightside

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it also speaks volumes for how many of us feel about the team that getting a guy who has run a top 5 regular season offence feels like a downer move.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I think it also speaks volumes for how many of us feel about the team that getting a guy who has run a top 5 regular season offence feels like a downer move.
I think a lot of us know not much is going to change. It's probably going to be a middle of the road offense stats wise because Tomlin is still going to be pulling the strings wanting to play "safe" football, relying heavily on the defense to make plays.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think a lot of us know not much is going to change. It's probably going to be a middle of the road offense stats wise because Tomlin is still going to be pulling the strings wanting to play "safe" football, relying heavily on the defense to make plays.

Well yeah. That's the lack of trust we feel.

Although I'd say Arthur Smith loves his QB to be aggressive and I dunno he'd be coming here if he hadn't talked about this.

But we'll see.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Positive take from someone who watched him in Atlanta.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Well yeah. That's the lack of trust we feel.

Although I'd say Arthur Smith loves his QB to be aggressive and I dunno he'd be coming here if he hadn't talked about this.

But we'll see.
That's the rub.

Did he insist on having complete control of the offense or will he just be another puppet for Tomlin's vision on how to run a team.

Time will tell.

Just a small fact to keep enthusiasm in check. In Smith's best two seasons, 2019 and 2020, his team's had the second fewest passing attempts in the league each year. They were efficient, with fairly highly ranked scoring and yards per catch. But barely threw the ball at all. To expect that production from so few attempts for the Steelers is asking a lot.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's the rub.

Did he insist on having complete control of the offense or will he just be another puppet for Tomlin's vision on how to run a team.

Time will tell.

Yup.

One positive in his favour - he didn't have to take this job. He doesn't need to work, his rep is good enough to have options when he decides to... I'd like to believe he's not putting that rep on the line without hearing a damn good talk.

Just a small fact to keep enthusiasm in check. In Smith's best two seasons, 2019 and 2020, his team's had the second fewest passing attempts in the league each year. They were efficient, with fairly highly ranked scoring and yards per catch. But barely threw the ball at all. To expect that production from so few attempts for the Steelers is asking a lot.

I am fine with - nay, actively crave - this as a target.

That's who the 49ers were this season - lowest passing attempts, highest yards/attempt - and they've been that for many seasons. The Eagles were close-ish to this in 2022 - 10th lowest attempts, 4th highest yardage per attempt. I think for a team with a non-superstar QB, this approach - colossal run game, explosive pass attack, each setting the other up - is the best approach. The pass game *has* to be there - and the risk with this approach is that maybe it disguises a lack of pure pass game that then bites the team in the rear at the worst moment - but the run game can be hugely beneficial there and it's a lot more democratic about who can pursue one.

Whether the Steelers can get there, who can say.

But I believe that if they can reinforce the OL, they've got a running game that can cause real problems. And from there, hopefully, the options should be there for the QB...

... the OL does need reinforcing though. Only one guy on that 2019 Titans OL hasn't made a Pro Bowl in their career.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
What’s sad is this thought from very respectable minds like Trai Essex and Mike Harner that Arthur Smith being brought in acknowledges the crybaby QB’s limitations. How about “acknowledging his limitations” by getting a new QB and looking at getting him the **** out of town?

Also, Madden is saying they won’t bring back Rudolph or considering bringing in Tannehill to placate Crybaby Kenny. He really is softer than puppy ****, good lord.

• Haha
Reactions: Factorial

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Not giving up the 5th year option trading out round 1 all together I am fairly confident that jpj will be the pick at 20

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
What’s sad is this thought from very respectable minds like Trai Essex and Mike Harner that Arthur Smith being brought in acknowledges the crybaby QB’s limitations. How about “acknowledging his limitations” by getting a new QB and looking at getting him the **** out of town?

Also, Madden is saying they won’t bring back Rudolph or considering bringing in Tannehill to placate Crybaby Kenny. He really is softer than puppy ****, good lord.
Its not that easy to just get a new qb however you can have a qb dependentless offense. They will bring Mason back this offense is built for his strengths. Everyone acknowledges this upcoming season is put up or shut up for kp. They fix the oline this draft we are building an eagles style team

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I said a couple weeks ago we’d all bitch…and here we are haha.

I expected f***ing Sullivan or some other inside promotion. Guy is a legit OC.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I honestly don’t care who Tomlin hires anymore, I’m just not going to play the game of thinking this will change anything.

That’s a fools game.

Tomlin’s not changing or deviating from what will keep his meaningless streak alive.

It’s more about AR2 who has turned into spouting off the same nonsense as Tomlin.

He now claims the playoff drought is enough and it’s time to win a playoff game.

I’ll be very curious to see what shit he spouts off next season if Tomlin extends his drought to 8 years.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I thought he was awesome in Tennessee. Watching Atlanta I specifically remember thinking to myself, "Atlanta and Pittsburgh are in the same spot right now" in regards to the play calling and head-ramming that was going on.

I think we have the hogs to really cause some trouble in this league and maybe have our own little wrinkle of an offense that teams start emulating? Maybe he's good enough where the league starts going back to a big back and a more demoralizing/safer brand of ball. Najee and Warren could really be a devastating duo.

We have to get a C and we have to get a T. If we get those two things, the QB situation is sort of irrelevant to me because the guy should only need to throw the ball 30 times a game at most, and his stats should look pretty good.

In terms of the fit...I get it. I just hope we get more Tennessee than the portions of Atlanta I saw.

I honestly don’t care who Tomlin hires anymore, I’m just not going to play the game of thinking this will change anything.

That’s a fools game.

Tomlin’s not changing or deviating from what will keep his meaningless streak alive.

It’s more about AR2 who has turned into spouting off the same nonsense as Tomlin.

He now claims the playoff drought is enough and it’s time to win a playoff game.

I’ll be very curious to see what shit he spouts off next season if Tomlin extends his drought to 8 years.

Bringing Austin back was the wrong call. I hope he proves me wrong, but this defense wasn't as great as advertised.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Smith's offensive philosophy, more or less in his own words

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I thought he was awesome in Tennessee. Watching Atlanta I specifically remember thinking to myself, "Atlanta and Pittsburgh are in the same spot right now" in regards to the play calling and head-ramming that was going on.

I think we have the hogs to really cause some trouble in this league and maybe have our own little wrinkle of an offense that teams start emulating? Maybe he's good enough where the league starts going back to a big back and a more demoralizing/safer brand of ball. Najee and Warren could really be a devastating duo.

We have to get a C and we have to get a T. If we get those two things, the QB situation is sort of irrelevant to me because the guy should only need to throw the ball 30 times a game at most, and his stats should look pretty good.

In terms of the fit...I get it. I just hope we get more Tennessee than the portions of Atlanta I saw.

Bringing Austin back was the wrong call. I hope he proves me wrong, but this defense wasn't as great as advertised.

Unless he brings in Hoodie to run the D, I couldn’t care less who he keeps around as his D coord.

The dude is just a puppet and fall guy for Tomlin.

Tomlin runs the D, the same D that fails spectacularly every playoffs in the exact same ways.

Reactions: Josey Wales

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Why? Pickens led the NFL in Y/R with that abysmal offense we watched last year.

And FWIW, DJ was tied for 27th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad