OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
if your going to fire a guy then do it. hanging on to him for no reason just stringing him along is about as low you can go.
They won't do that because then their are just flying in the wind. They have no OC, and this isn't a situation where Ben is here and an OC would love to come coordinate with him. It's an offense that is young and in a state of flux. I don't think you can fire Canada without having a plan for another guy coming in first.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They are going to hold off firing Canada until the game of musical chairs is almost over, and then they will use the excuse of no one being available as a reason as to why Canada is still here. Always be reactive instead of pro-active if you're the Steelers front office.

Dunno about that. Everyone's been making a point about how quickly the Steelers move on this most times, hence me assuming he was staying. I don't see why they'd be any different this time once the player exit interviews are done.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
They won't do that because then their are just flying in the wind. They have no OC, and this isn't a situation where Ben is here and an OC would love to come coordinate with him. It's an offense that is young and in a state of flux. I don't think you can fire Canada without having a plan for another guy coming in first.
if you fire him now .... he knows you mean it.:nod:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Wouldn’t they have a better opportunity to hire the fired oc because they actually have an opening
Unless they just want to rehab a fired oc with a Qb coach gig and oc job in 24

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Cool interview with Pickett and Heyward here. Pickett mentioned that teams told him that they'd trade into the late 1st to get him if he slid into the late 1st, so it seems like the Steelers weren't the only team who had a 1st round pick grade on him. He mentioned that he expected to go to the Saints or Steelers.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Maybe I’m wrong here- but doesn’t it feel like almost every team has ILB problems? These guys seem tasked with the impossible in todays NFL. Idk if Edmunds would be the right answer or not, but feels better to go LB in FA then to spend a high pick on one.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
It's weird that they would fire the OC, when the defense pretty much quit in the second half.
The OC thought it was a great idea to try 6 rushing attempts in the entire second half. The OC thought running a jet sweep to a practice squad receiver was the best choice on 3rd and inches when they have a 6’6 QB. The OC’s “scheme” led Justin Herbert, who has one of the biggest arms in the game to have the third lowest depth of average target behind Matt Ryan and Daniel Jones… it was at 6.9. Staley should have gone as well but it’s not weird that they fired the OC at all

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe I’m wrong here- but doesn’t it feel like almost every team has ILB problems? These guys seem tasked with the impossible in todays NFL. Idk if Edmunds would be the right answer or not, but feels better to go LB in FA then to spend a high pick on one.

ILB is such an important position that I'd rather fill it with an established UFA than try to draft a rookie to fill the spot. A big part of that is driven by Bush being such a disappointment. Especially considering the Steelers aren't cashed strapped while they have Pickett on his rookie deal.

ILB is a big need, but I'd rather target a LT, CB and/or an interior DL with the high draft picks they have. If you want an upgrade on Bush and Jack, go spend money on someone you know will be an improvement on them instead of gambling on another young guy.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
ILB is such an important position that I'd rather fill it with an established UFA than try to draft a rookie to fill the spot. A big part of that is driven by Bush being such a disappointment. Especially considering the Steelers aren't cashed strapped while they have Pickett on his rookie deal.

ILB is a big need, but I'd rather target a LT, CB and/or an interior DL with the high draft picks they have. If you want an upgrade on Bush and Jack, go spend money on someone you know will be an improvement on them instead of gambling on another young guy.
Eh I find ILB the RB of defense. Heavily discounted in todays NFL and you can get by without a stud.

I agree that the trenches and CB should be draft priority. Probably should add a WR in draft/FA.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Eh I find ILB the RB of defense. Heavily discounted in todays NFL and you can get by without a stud.

I agree that the trenches and CB should be draft priority. Probably should add a WR in draft/FA.

Isn't the ILB the "QB of the defense"? I thought the ILB had the role of calling plays and running the defense. That's why I thought it was such an important position.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Isn't the ILB the "QB of the defense"? I thought the ILB had the role of calling plays and running the defense. That's why I thought it was such an important position.

Steelers have had major issues covering TEs since Shazier went down, so they need to find an ILB who can handle that business.

It was suppose to be Bush but uh ya.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I thought ILB was at best the 3rd-4th most important position on defence? First comes edge rushers, then cornerbacks, then inside linebackers, with safety at the bottom of the pack. Not entirely sure where DT fits in. At least, that's the impression I was given, and it seems backed up by the salaries. Articles talk up being the mic linebacker but it feels like it's not a big priority.

Although I guess looking at drafts enough of them go top 10.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I thought ILB was at best the 3rd-4th most important position on defence? First comes edge rushers, then cornerbacks, then inside linebackers, with safety at the bottom of the pack. Not entirely sure where DT fits in. At least, that's the impression I was given, and it seems backed up by the salaries. Articles talk up being the mic linebacker but it feels like it's not a big priority.

Although I guess looking at drafts enough of them go top 10.

ILB that can run and cover are highly coveted. It’s hard to have a great D if your ILB are avg, as that’s an easy weakness for an O to attack.

We know the Steelers value the position because of what they gave up to get Bush. Of course that was under Colbert, but Tomlin is still around and a defensive guy.

Their D hasn’t been the same since Shazier was injured.

Ravens just gave a 100m contract to Smith as well.

Corners and guys who can get after the QB will always be a higher priority though, and there is the perception you can find good ILB outside of the first round.

I don’t think the position is devalued like RB though as someone else suggested.

Reactions: Peat

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
ILB that can run and cover are highly coveted. It’s hard to have a great D if your ILB are avg, as that’s an easy weakness for an O to attack.

We know the Steelers value the position because of what they gave up to get Bush. Of course that was under Colbert, but Tomlin is still around and a defensive guy.

Corners and guys who can get after the QB will always be a higher priority though, and there is the perception you can find good ILB outside of the first round.

I don’t think the position is devalued like RB though as someone else suggested.

ILB in our defense are like Guards, undervalued until you need one. Overlooked when they're doing their job.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Check out the colleges- there are no cover and tackle guys anymore because of the response to the spread/RPO offenses and that bleeds to the NFL.

Gone are the days of Patrick Willis and your 3 down ILB. They've been replaced by 'big safeties" who masquerade as ILB's in packages.

So in the NFL, even if your calling card is a run stuffing ILB, your days are numbered bc offenses will find you and expose you (except if you're going against Canada's offense lol)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Check out the colleges- there are no cover and tackle guys anymore because of the response to the spread/RPO offenses and that bleeds to the NFL.

Gone are the days of Patrick Willis and your 3 down ILB. They've been replaced by 'big safeties" who masquerade as ILB's in packages.

So in the NFL, even if your calling card is a run stuffing ILB, your days are numbered bc offenses will find you and expose you (except if you're going against Canada's offense lol)

Willis was a freak of nature so hard to compare other ILB to him.

You have the overhang linebackers in college now, but I still consider them more LB than safety.

That’s what Simpson is.

The thumpers that can run and cover were always rare, but they are still around, with Smith and Edmunds being good examples.

Lloyd had a really good rookie season for Jax. He’s not Shazier in coverage, but he is well above avg and can stop the run.

For ppl to understand the importance of ILB today, just look at how Smith transformed the Ravens after he came there.

And the 49ers are lead by Warner. He does so many special things for that D, that losing him would be akin to the Chiefs O losing Mahomes.

I believe Warner was drafted in round 3 which plays into the belief you can find impact ILB after round 1.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Willis was a freak of nature so hard to compare other ILB to him.

You have the overhang linebackers in college now, but I still consider them more LB than safety.

That’s what Simpson is.

The thumpers that can run and cover were always rare, but they are still around, with Smith and Edmunds being good examples.

Lloyd had a really good rookie season for Jax. He’s not Shazier in coverage, but he is well above avg and can stop the run.

For ppl to understand the importance of ILB today, just look at how Smith transformed the Ravens after he came there.

And the 49ers are lead by Warner. He does so many special things for that D, that losing him would be akin to the Chiefs O losing Mahomes.

I believe Warner was drafted in round 3 which plays into the belief you can find impact ILB after round 1.

I just don't think there is enough value for the Steelers at this juncture to find that ILB of the future. The LB play would have improved dramatically this year if the Dline play was better. This is why I'm deadset on fixing both lines in this draft/FA. I'm not saying they can ignore ILB, but there are more pressing needs.

Running with Jack, Spillane, Robinson, bargain FA will suffice. Maybe next year they can hone in on someone with dramatically more talent.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I just don't think there is enough value for the Steelers at this juncture to find that ILB of the future. The LB play would have improved dramatically this year if the Dline play was better. This is why I'm deadset on fixing both lines in this draft/FA. I'm not saying they can ignore ILB, but there are more pressing needs.

Running with Jack, Spillane, Robinson, bargain FA will suffice. Maybe next year they can hone in on someone with dramatically more talent.

The Dline wasn’t bad though this year. They were top ten in YPC/Allowed and I think their run defense DVOA was ranked 6th. That’s pretty damn good.

I agree it needs addressed but that’s more due to Heyward getting older and some are guys going to free agency.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

If they take a flyer on an ILB in round three cool.

They need to address the trenches first though, so we agree.

However, I do think many Steeler fans are taking for granted how important off linebackers are, simply because they played some pretty shitty QBs this season.

Andrews did have like 10 catches or whatever in that one Ravens game though.

If you want to get past say Mahomes and Kelce in the playoffs, having this rag tag crew at ILB will suddenly become an “oh f***” moment.

I don’t know how realistic the Edmunds stuff is, but if there is a chance he’s dumb enough to leave the Bills, they have to make a major push to sign him.

Imagine the Steelers D of the SB yrs without Farrior. If they had not landed him in FA…

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
If they take a flyer on an ILB in round three cool.

They need to address the trenches first though, so we agree.

However, I do think many Steeler fans are taking for granted how important off linebackers are, simply because they played some pretty shitty QBs this season.

Andrews did have like 10 catches or whatever in that one Ravens game though.

If you want to get past say Mahomes and Kelce in the playoffs, having this rag tag crew at ILB will suddenly become an “oh f***” moment.

I don’t know how realistic the Edmunds stuff is, but if there is a chance he’s dumb enough to leave the Bills, they have to make a major push to sign him.

Imagine the Steelers D of the SB yrs without Farrior. If they had not landed him in FA…

That's some big capital going to ILB if you have Edmonds/Jack. Doubt the Steelers cut Jack after 1 season...that's not how they typically do business.

And the Steelers are probably at least another season before contending with the Chiefs or anyone else on that tier

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It sucks that Bush is the spot you need to upgrade given the investment in draft capital, time and cash, but the reality in front of you is thus, so yeah I think that's a spot you look to upgrade in FA (Edmunds obviously if possible) and run with Jack, Robinson and Spillane plus new guy. If you're not bringing back Jack then you have to draft someone, but not until after you get more pressing needs addressed.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's some big capital going to ILB if you have Edmonds/Jack. Doubt the Steelers cut Jack after 1 season...that's not how they typically do business.

And the Steelers are probably at least another season before contending with the Chiefs or anyone else on that tier

I’m assuming Jack is cut if they can land Edmunds.

We have no idea when they will have to compete with the Chiefs, as they could see them in round one if they get into the playoffs next season.

If they can land an impact player like Edmunds while KP is on his rookie deal, you go for it.

That is a no brainer, but the issue is him actually leaving Buffalo and then picking the Steelers.

Guys seem to want to play for Tomlin so I guess that and having his brother may help, but I have severe doubts they can land him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

You know, I'm not happy with this but I imagine they wouldn't be keeping Canada if Kenny didn't support it. If Kenny can support one more year of Canada....fine. I think it's a mistake, but if Kenny is advocating to keep him, I'll trust him.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The Canada news sucks but it’s no surprise. The writing was on the wall after they improved from the worst offense in the league to a below average offense. It may just be players being nice in public, but it does seem like Canada has more support from them than I expected.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they brought in someone like Leftwich as an offensive assistant and eventual Canada replacement though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad