OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Canada news sucks but it’s no surprise. The writing was on the wall after they improved from the worst offense in the league to a below average offense. It may just be players being nice in public, but it does seem like Canada has more support from them than I expected.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they brought in someone like Leftwich as an offensive assistant and eventual Canada replacement though.

May be semantics, but I think their offense was pretty much smack dab average after the bye week. After the bye week, the Steelers averaged about 21 points a game (188 points in 9 games) and 350 yards per game (3092 yards in 9 games). That would have had them 19th in points for and 14th in total yards over a full season.

There are very obvious areas that need improvement on the offense, but the performance in the second half of the year should give some optimism for the offense next year. Especially with how good they looked against the Browns in week 18.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
May be semantics, but I think their offense was pretty much smack dab average after the bye week. After the bye week, the Steelers averaged about 21 points a game (188 points in 9 games) and 350 yards per game (3092 yards in 9 games). That would have had them 19th in points for and 14th in total yards over a full season.

There are very obvious areas that need improvement on the offense, but the performance in the second half of the year should give some optimism for the offense next year. Especially with how good they looked against the Browns in week 18.
No poster is better at talking himself into really shitty decisions by Pittsburgh sports teams than this guy.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Speaking of coaches, who's the WR coach and how long have they been here? I guess I can answer my own question, but I feel if I look at any one position on this team and see guys regressing badly the longer they're here, it's that position.

*peeks* Frisman Jackson, brand new at start of last season. I know it's pretty rough to judge WRs in this environment but even so, did not like his work.

Anyway the offence's improvement should have been too little too late, but here's hoping we're all wrong about who Canada is.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

I’m optimistic they won’t be terrible from the jump, and I do still expect them to be a playoff team next year. But I have very little hope of them improving to the point where they’ll be able to win a shootout with teams like the Chiefs and Bills. And that’s something they’re going to have to do at some point.

I do hope I’m totally wrong about Canada.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Quality of competition, my friend. Look at the records of the teams in the first half of schedule vs second half.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m optimistic they won’t be terrible from the jump, and I do still expect them to be a playoff team next year. But I have very little hope of them improving to the point where they’ll be able to win a shootout with teams like the Chiefs and Bills. And that’s something they’re going to have to do at some point.

I do hope I’m totally wrong about Canada.

Tangential but my biggest problem with Tomlin is I get the sense that he believes he doesn't have to make a team that can do that, that he can make a team that can keep those teams in check defensively which is one hell of a contrarian belief right now.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Good quality powerful OC don’t take lateral moves
There are good OC's out there right now who are not employed at all. Reich, Hackett, Kingsbury, etc. - maybe none would want the job but the Steelers don't even try. Tomlin's job searches tend to be limited to those who are in the same building as he is - and I'm no Tomlin basher. But this is his biggest blindspot/weakness.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
What a shame for a young offensive group w decent potential to improve and grow together. “Here’s your HS scheme. Hope those NFL defenses don’t figure it out.”
ARGH.

Reactions: TNT87

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
There are good OC's out there right now who are not employed at all. Reich, Hackett, Kingsbury, etc. - maybe none would want the job but the Steelers don't even try. Tomlin's job searches tend to be limited to those who are in the same building as he is - and I'm no Tomlin basher. But this is his biggest blindspot/weakness.
Kingsbury isn’t even in the country he got 4year deal last year no way he is coaching anywhere next year
Hacket didn’t even calls plays in Greenbay and his system destroyed Willson this year in Denver. Reich offense was worst than ours in Indy

What a shame for a young offensive group w decent potential to improve and grow together. “Here’s your HS scheme. Hope those NFL defenses don’t figure it out.”
ARGH.
The players wanted him back. Its a basic west coast offense with college concepts

• Haha
Reactions: Josey Wales

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Yeah you're right. My bad. So there are zero examples.

Kingsbury isn’t even in the country he got 4year deal last year no way he is coaching anywhere next year
Hacket didn’t even calls plays in Greenbay and his system destroyed Willson this year in Denver. Reich offense was worst than ours in Indy

The players wanted him back. Its a basic west coast offense with college concepts
Reich won a Super Bowl as an offensive coordinator despite having Nick Foles as his QB. Hackett was the OC of the highest scoring team in the NFL. Now give me Canada's resume. I'll wait.

You don't know that the players wanted him back, but even if they did, so what? Your kids want to eat ice cream for dinner - sometimes adults have to make the decisions.

It really is ok to have nuanced takes about Tomlin. Not EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM has to be AWESOME.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014

I did not think the players wanted him back at all. Do you have a source?

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

That's from September tho. Nobody's saying stuff like that now.

Either Canada's second half of the season legit won over the players, or they've seen it winning over Tomlin to the point they know the writing is on the wall and they should play nice in public. Tbh I don't see a huge amount of reason to doubt it's at least part the former, particularly for guys graded primarily on the run game.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yeah they weren’t happy at the beginning of the season and also couldn’t function at a high school offense.
MT wanted them to call plays to attack the middle of the field and against bmore he threw multiple picks
KP said his biggest adjustment was play action since he didn’t use in college. They want to get better using rpo and he is getting better with reads and understanding nfl open. Next year is all on the players executing better

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
That's from September tho. Nobody's saying stuff like that now.

Either Canada's second half of the season legit won over the players, or they've seen it winning over Tomlin to the point they know the writing is on the wall and they should play nice in public. Tbh I don't see a huge amount of reason to doubt it's at least part the former, particularly for guys graded primarily on the run game.
Respectfully, the idea that anyone would cite to the starting QB offering public praise of the sitting OC of a team in response to a media question as evidence of anything is silliness. Of course Pickett is going to support him in public. Do you really think the scheme changed since early in the season? Or did they start playing NFC South defenses instead of playing Buffalo and Philadelphia and New England?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad