OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Respectfully, the idea that anyone would cite to the starting QB offering public praise of the sitting OC of a team in response to a media question as evidence of anything is silliness. Of course Pickett is going to support him in public. Do you really think the scheme changed since early in the season? Or did they start playing NFC South defenses instead of playing Buffalo and Philadelphia and New England?

The idea that what the players said back in September is how they feel now after finishing a season 7-2 after the bye is just as silly.

I have no real problem with the idea that it might all be following the party line, it clearly could be. I think that on the balance of probabilities it's probably at least partly real, but that's only probabilities and we have no way of knowing for sure what they said to Tomlin.

But how they felt in September is equally not evidence of anything today.

And while what I know about football schemes can be put on the back of a stamp, I know that the idea players would only change their mind about Canada if the scheme changed is the silliest possible thing of all. People change their minds for all sorts of reasons, not all of them logical.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
And really, did the offense really improve THAT much late in the season? Setting aside Week 18 against an eliminated Browns team, the last 5 weeks of the season (Weeks 13-17), they scored 19, 14, 24, 13, and 16 points. It's not like they became this juggernaut all of a sudden - they were ok at best.

Reactions: TNT87

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Yeah you're right. My bad. So there are zero examples.

Reich won a Super Bowl as an offensive coordinator despite having Nick Foles as his QB. Hackett was the OC of the highest scoring team in the NFL. Now give me Canada's resume. I'll wait.

You don't know that the players wanted him back, but even if they did, so what? Your kids want to eat ice cream for dinner - sometimes adults have to make the decisions.

It really is ok to have nuanced takes about Tomlin. Not EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM has to be AWESOME.

Where did he say anything about Tomlin being "AWESOME". You Tomlin haters go nuts when others don't share your hate.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
The idea that what the players said back in September is how they feel now after finishing a season 7-2 after the bye is just as silly.

I have no real problem with the idea that it might all be following the party line, it clearly could be. I think that on the balance of probabilities it's probably at least partly real, but that's only probabilities and we have no way of knowing for sure what they said to Tomlin.

But how they felt in September is equally not evidence of anything today.

And while what I know about football schemes can be put on the back of a stamp, I know that the idea players would only change their mind about Canada if the scheme changed is the silliest possible thing of all. People change their minds for all sorts of reasons, not all of them logical.
The reason they "changed their minds," if they in fact did, probably stems from going 7-2 in the last 9 games.

Where did he say anything about Tomlin being "AWESOME". You Tomlin haters go nuts when others don't share your hate.
I'm not a Tomlin hater, but the fact you immediately assume I am shows the fan boy bullshit that we get if anyone dares to have a nuanced take that he's anything other than THE GREATEST. I think on balance Tomlin is more good than bad. I've said that repeatedly on here. I think his coordinator/coaching hires are not great, and I think this is a poor move for a young offense.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Respectfully, the idea that anyone would cite to the starting QB offering public praise of the sitting OC of a team in response to a media question as evidence of anything is silliness. Of course Pickett is going to support him in public. Do you really think the scheme changed since early in the season? Or did they start playing NFC South defenses instead of playing Buffalo and Philadelphia and New England?
The scheme did change the blocking scheme changed.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Saw this on the Twitter

PIT finished 23rd in points per drive. Let’s recap who was worse:

NE: fired OC
ARI: Fired HC/play caller
TB: fired OC
TEN: fired OC
WAS: fired OC
NYJ: fired OC
DEN: fired HC/play caller
HOU: fired everyone
IND: fired HC/play caller

Whisenhunt is basically it.

I believe Whiz was a Cowher hire, so Tomlin doesn't get credit here

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
And really, did the offense really improve THAT much late in the season? Setting aside Week 18 against an eliminated Browns team, the last 5 weeks of the season (Weeks 13-17), they scored 19, 14, 24, 13, and 16 points. It's not like they became this juggernaut all of a sudden - they were ok at best.

I keep telling people this; look at the quality of teams they played in the 2nd half. It was unbelievably easy, just like the first have was pretty hard.

So whatever they ended up at the end of the season is a good indicator of who they really are. Don't give me this bye week sliced stats BS

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Kingsbury isn’t even in the country he got 4year deal last year no way he is coaching anywhere next year
Hacket didn’t even calls plays in Greenbay and his system destroyed Willson this year in Denver. Reich offense was worst than ours in Indy

The players wanted him back. Its a basic west coast offense with college concepts
UMMMMM No Canada's offense is NOT basic West Coast Offense with College concepts

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
What makes Tomlin a great coach? I'm interested in a logical answer to this question from all his fans.
Who is a great coach
What makes Tomlin a great coach? I'm interested in a logical answer to this question from all his fans.

UMMMMM No Canada's offense is NOT basic West Coast Offense with College concepts
KP said it was. Warner said it was

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Saw this on the Twitter

PIT finished 23rd in points per drive. Let’s recap who was worse:

NE: fired OC
ARI: Fired HC/play caller
TB: fired OC
TEN: fired OC
WAS: fired OC
NYJ: fired OC
DEN: fired HC/play caller
HOU: fired everyone
IND: fired HC/play caller

I believe Whiz was a Cowher hire, so Tomlin doesn't get credit here
But those teams don't follow the creed "The Standard is the Standard"

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

The misery of hoping ends.

I was hopefully at the middle of the season that even dumbasses Tomlin and Rooney couldn’t bring back Canada, but those wins against high school quality teams at the end fooled a lot of people in this city.

Absolutely pathetic and frankly embarrassing decision by a Mickey Mouse team.

Reactions: Night Shift

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I was hopefully at the middle of the season that even dumbasses Tomlin and Rooney couldn’t bring back Canada, but those wins against high school quality teams at the end fooled a lot of people in this city.

It's not about improving or trying to get better or anything.. As long as they go 9-8 every year that makes the quota.

As long as the Tomlin fan boys have something to beat their chest about about cool, I guess.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Yeah that’s why he was brought back.
Once KP said he was struggling with Play action since he didn’t do in college and working under center most of the season cause he didn’t do it college you knew he was coming back. The players all said it doesn’t matter who the oc is if we aren’t executing if we aren’t on the same page then is on us. They all started watching film together they will work out together

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah that’s why he was brought back.
Once KP said he was struggling with Play action since he didn’t do in college and working under center most of the season cause he didn’t do it college you knew he was coming back. The players all said it doesn’t matter who the oc is if we aren’t executing if we aren’t on the same page then is on us. They all started watching film together they will work out together
Why weren’t they watching film together before then? The players weren’t going to say tomlin and Canada were football’s version of dumb and dumber.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Whatever man. More bottom 10 scoring next season I guess. He won’t be renewed, but I’m not looking forward to an other year of struggling to score 18 points a game.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

It performed well under the circumstances of what it is. One of the most under-resourced offenses in the league. Set aside the QB for a second. Our best OL is James Daniels. We have a 4th rounder at LT. We have no third receiver really after we wisely traded our guy for an early 2nd. Our highest paid receiver is precociously good at getting open but bad at catching the ball, running with the football, and has mental gremlins.

Pretty sure the cap hit for TJ, Cam and Minkah combined was higher than the entire offense.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

It performed well under the circumstances of what it is. One of the most under-resourced offenses in the league. Set aside the QB for a second. Our best OL is James Daniels. We have a 4th rounder at LT. We have no third receiver really after we wisely traded our guy for an early 2nd. Our highest paid receiver is precociously good at getting open but bad at catching the ball, running with the football, and has mental gremlins.

Pretty sure the cap hit for TJ, Cam and Minkah combined was higher than the entire offense.
To be fair TJ Cam and Minka are probably going to combine to for more than our offense for the next 2 seasons even with Daniels and Chuks high 2nd year cap hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad