OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Is there a real CB1 upgrade available though?

Also, how feasible is it to say, with kindly structured contracts, "we cut Jack and Jackson and that's 20m shared between Edmunds at ILB and our new CB1 (probably just bringing back Sutton tbh), and we make the space to bring back the other guys that need to come back/sign our picks/sign a DT through cutting Witherspoon and Trubisky, and restructuring a couple of contracts"?

Although extending Highsmith this offseason with that could be pretty difficult.

What's the reasoning behind cutting Jack? You want two new-to-the-defense starting ILB next year? (and I don't want to hear anything about Spillane starting).

Cutting Witherspoon and bringing back Sutton doesn't move the needle at all. It's a move that isn't really a move.

I'd prefer youth on the DL at this point. DT is a draft priority for me.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Is there a real CB1 upgrade available though?

Also, how feasible is it to say, with kindly structured contracts, "we cut Jack and Jackson and that's 20m shared between Edmunds at ILB and our new CB1 (probably just bringing back Sutton tbh), and we make the space to bring back the other guys that need to come back/sign our picks/sign a DT through cutting Witherspoon and Trubisky, and restructuring a couple of contracts"?

Although extending Highsmith this offseason with that could be pretty difficult.

I’m just looking at their offseason from last year and they were able to sign Chuks, Jack, Daniels, Cole, Trubisky, and Wallace for a combined 22 million cap hit in 2022.

Cap hits in year one are pretty easy to keep low so they would easily be able to sign Edmunds and Sutton and have both their cap hits in 2023 be below 20 million imo.

This team is in good shape cap wise to bring in a bigger piece or two in free agency.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What's the reasoning behind cutting Jack? You want two new-to-the-defense starting ILB next year? (and I don't want to hear anything about Spillane starting).

Cutting Witherspoon and bringing back Sutton doesn't move the needle at all. It's a move that isn't really a move.

I'd prefer youth on the DL at this point. DT is a draft priority for me.

Jack's not very good when he's injured and he's injured a lot. Two new ILBs isn't ideal but I'll do it with only a small shrug if that's the way to get a more reliable higher quality room. I'd also probably get used to hearing about Spillane starting. Not a huge fan but that's the position they've left themselves in. In an ideal world they'd use a lot of three safety looks instead.

If bringing back Sutton isn't a needle mover, then who out there is a needle mover at CB?

And I think they probably need both youth and to spend money on the DL at this point. It's the position with by far the biggest holes at the moment.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Jack's not very good when he's injured and he's injured a lot. Two new ILBs isn't ideal but I'll do it with only a small shrug if that's the way to get a more reliable higher quality room. I'd also probably get used to hearing about Spillane starting. Not a huge fan but that's the position they've left themselves in. In an ideal world they'd use a lot of three safety looks instead.

If bringing back Sutton isn't a needle mover, then who out there is a needle mover at CB?

And I think they probably need both youth and to spend money on the DL at this point. It's the position with by far the biggest holes at the moment.
I think they probably keep jack he has one year left at 11 million and bring in Edmunds Spotrack says he should get 4-44 so you will be fine fitting both in next year. Spillane is dirt cheap to bring back and Robinson is going to see more ST duties since Marcus allen is gone. Probably draft a MiLB. Maybe Edmunds plays more LB like you said and kaze plays Safely in the 3 safety look
The Dl is young ADams Loudermouth Leal outside of Heyward the guys under contract are 27 and younger. I think they sign a guy to 8 million a year aav and hopefully JJ comes in in august to rotate with Cam.
Sutton is solid number 2. I do wonder if they bring Jackson back cheap or take his 12 million and give it to bradberry but I think drafting a cb is a must by pick 32

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think they probably keep jack he has one year left at 11 million and bring in Edmunds Spotrack says he should get 4-44 so you will be fine fitting both in next year. Spillane is dirt cheap to bring back and Robinson is going to see more ST duties since Marcus allen is gone. Probably draft a MiLB. Maybe Edmunds plays more LB like you said and kaze plays Safely in the 3 safety look
The Dl is young ADams Loudermouth Leal outside of Heyward the guys under contract are 27 and younger. I think they sign a guy to 8 million a year aav and hopefully JJ comes in in august to rotate with Cam.
Sutton is solid number 2. I do wonder if they bring Jackson back cheap or take his 12 million and give it to bradberry but I think drafting a cb is a must by pick 32

I don't see the team having the money to keep Jack and bring in an ILB. Team doesn't look flush right now.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don't see the team having the money to keep Jack and bring in an ILB. Team doesn't look flush right now.

Yea if they bring in someone, it'll be a bargain ILB, which I'm in support of because you can't spend too much at ILB (a non value position).

Dedicate your resources to the Oline and Dline and you fix some fundamental issues with this team (namely stopping the run and better pass blocking)

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Came across this stat yesterday. Pretty insane numbers for Cam. His dad would be proud.

All time Steeler sacks:

1 James Harrison - 80.5
2 Cameron Heyward - 78.5
3 L.C. Greenwood - 78.0
4 Joe Greene - 77.5
5 T.J. Watt - 77.5
6 Jason Gildon - 77.0

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
So, I'm guessin someone went back and looked at tape or stats to determine the sack totals for Mean Joe and LC etc, since sacks were not a stat until1982?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
They have 111 million cap space for 24. They could do an extension on jack to get his number down.
Cutting MT Jackson opens up 22 million in cap space
They can safely restructure TJ and Minka also. Doubtful they touch Cam deal though

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I would resign Sutton and Edmunds. That gives us 3 solid DBs and Minkah.
I would also try to sign Tremaine Edmunds. Upgrades from Bush to Edmunds would be a massive upgrade. A legit difference maker. This would allow them to focus on OL and DL at the draft.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009

I'd rather keep Jack and get an upgrade over Bush (and Spillane) than cut Jack and start two fresh faces next season (or Spillane).

How is bringing back a guy already in the secondary going to improve the secondary? If the goal is making the CB group better, they need to bring someone in.

Aside from upgrading LT, replacing Alualu is the biggest need. Unless a perfect fit veteran becomes available, I think they have to go youth there.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd rather keep Jack and get an upgrade over Bush (and Spillane) than cut Jack and start two fresh faces next season (or Spillane).

How is bringing back a guy already in the secondary going to improve the secondary? If the goal is making the CB group better, they need to bring someone in.

Aside from upgrading LT, replacing Alualu is the biggest need. Unless a perfect fit veteran becomes available, I think they have to go youth there.

Okay but who is this someone better they'll be bringing in? How much they gonna cost? I'm all for improving on Sutton but who's out there that fits the bill and how much more is it going to take?

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Apparently Tomlin was dealing with a personal thing so all the exit meetings and decisions got pushed back.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I'd have absolutely no issue with Mike Tomlin as HC if he would hire legitimate assistants who take ownership of their jobs. And in saying this, I'm not sure as a HC why you wouldn't want this type of set up where you could legitimately dedicate your energies to things with the team that really need your attention. Micro-managers never win.

Came across this stat yesterday. Pretty insane numbers for Cam. His dad would be proud.

All time Steeler sacks:

1 James Harrison - 80.5
2 Cameron Heyward - 78.5
3 L.C. Greenwood - 78.0
4 Joe Greene - 77.5
5 T.J. Watt - 77.5
6 Jason Gildon - 77.0
Cam Heyward went from being a near bust to being a HOF player. Goes to show, sometimes you have to be patient with these guys.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Great, now I have hope about Canada going again and I don't like it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Great, now I have hope about Canada going again and I don't like it.
They are going to hold off firing Canada until the game of musical chairs is almost over, and then they will use the excuse of no one being available as a reason as to why Canada is still here. Always be reactive instead of pro-active if you're the Steelers front office.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Sutton is a good player and the team needs more than one good CB. Sutton is a good CB when compared to the rest of the NFL and significantly better than Witherspoon. Witherspoon was not good and mostly hurt this past season, plus he is hurt or not dressing frequently over his career, he can't be counted on to there. Cut him, use the money to sign Sutton, who has played in 16 games every season of the last 4, thus he can be counted on to be there. Also, Sutton costs 2.1 towards the cap if he signs elsewhere due to the void years on his contract, if they sign him to an extension then it can be put into his contract. Thus by cutting Witherspoon and signing Sutton to an extension, the Steelers would have 6mil to put into Sutton's contract.

If they can sign another CB like Bradberry or Dean, and Sutton that would be the better scenario. Bradberry and Dean are gonna cost 15-20mil. Sutton is probably around 10-12 mil. But they should sign Sutton as long as he comes at a reasonable price. Then they can look at who is available in free agency.

In the end they have to know what they have before they can just jump into free agency. If Sutton won't sign then they know they have to sign someone in FA or it has too be a significant need in the draft. Like Round 1 or at the latest Pick 32.

In the end, signing Sutton gives them a good player who has been available to play pretty much every week while giving them flexibility in FA and the draft.

Reactions: Peat

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
They are going to hold off firing Canada until the game of musical chairs is almost over, and then they will use the excuse of no one being available as a reason as to why Canada is still here. Always be reactive instead of pro-active if you're the Steelers front office.
if your going to fire a guy then do it. hanging on to him for no reason just stringing him along is about as low you can go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad