OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Meh, Purdy has done better than anyone could have hoped for with a 7th rounder but he still leaves a lot to be desired. Today's performance showed what he is in a nutshell. He did a good job overall but you can still see he has limited arm talent and misses lots of throws. He just has arguably the best supporting cast in the league around him, best offensive mind in the game coaching him and constantly scheming guys wide open for him. He's put in a position where it's almost impossible to fail.

I'm much more envious of San Fransisco's coaching staff and supporting cast than the QB they have.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Broderick Jones sounds like Mike Tomlin when he speaks. I can see him and Tomlin going to dinner, chopping it up, and Tomlin falling in absolute love with him.

Skoronski has had an awesome college career but there is some concern over his arm length and him playing T. There aren't any of those concerns with Jones.

That line at PSU is going to be insanely good next year.
Tomlin will want Peezy's kid.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Steelers royally screwed up. Coulda had Purdy in the 7th instead of KP in the 1st.

Totally woulda had the same results too.

Not the same team and their coaching is at worst 2 tiers above our coaches (Sullivan clones)- 49ers staff is young and hungry and knows how to scheme.

They are coached up, the scheme and play calls get dudes wide open, and on and on...

But most of Steelers Nation and people think our blistering 12 TD passing performance blew the house down. (I like KP, just don't think he'll shine with a bottom tier coordinator)

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Meh, Purdy has done better than anyone could have hoped for with a 7th rounder but he still leaves a lot to be desired. Today's performance showed what he is in a nutshell. He did a good job overall but you can still see he has limited arm talent and misses lots of throws. He just has arguably the best supporting cast in the league around him, best offensive mind in the game coaching him and constantly scheming guys wide open for him. He's put in a position where it's almost impossible to fail.

I'm much more envious of San Fransisco's coaching staff and supporting cast than the QB they have.

I thought that about Brady once to, but ya we’ll see how it goes.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Steelers royally screwed up. Coulda had Purdy in the 7th instead of KP in the 1st.

Totally woulda had the same results too.
Couldn't have anything to do with the coaching structure...

Could you imagine if Purdy had the most open WR in the league DJ?? Would of been insane

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like if there's one thing I learnt about this league it's not to judge QBs until about the end of Y3 if then.

That or usage is nearly everything.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Slater a couple yrs back was projected to have too short arms for T in the NFL like Skoronski, and he had a great rookie year and PFF felt he would be the best T In the league this year before his injury.

May be a situation where a guy with all the tools you want in a particular position slips like KP, because he doesn’t have ideal measurements in one area.

For KP it was hands, for Skoronski it’s his arms.

Slater to Skoronski could be like Burrow to KP.

Ie Burrow’s smaller hands didn’t hold him back.
In fairness to Burrow he's got some big hands at 9"

KP is the smallest in the league at 8.5" which is pretty significantly smaller. I hear he even stuffs his gloves to make them appear larger.

• Haha
Reactions: Peat

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
In fairness to Burrow he's got some big hands at 9"

KP is the smallest in the league at 8.5" which is pretty significantly smaller. I hear he even stuffs his gloves to make them appear larger.

Does Burrow have a double jointed thumb though?

Didn’t think so.

FKc5ZytXoAg3kAD.jpg:large

Reactions: Flying Dego

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My priority for them is a LT. If KP gets hurt, nothing else really matters.

That’s why after QB, LT is a premiere position.

If you can lock up your QB and LT of the future in b2b drafts, you are living large.

I’m confident they can get one of the top three by using their third to move up several slots. I feel it should be their #1 priority.

Chargers were in a similar spot a couple yrs ago after taking Herbert and got their LT at 13 the following yr.

That’s intelligent drafting.

As far as the hypothetical, I’d have to see exactly what value they got to really say.

Understood as to the bolded. Can't really offer more on the bolded as there seems to be so many scenarios there. Guess I'm trying to get a feeling for just how strongly people feel on LT. Probably shoulda said LT rather than OL, but guess I was wondering how people would feel if they didn't upgrade Moore but did upgrade Dotson a bunch.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Understood as to the bolded. Can't really offer more on the bolded as there seems to be so many scenarios there. Guess I'm trying to get a feeling for just how strongly people feel on LT. Probably shoulda said LT rather than OL, but guess I was wondering how people would feel if they didn't upgrade Moore but did upgrade Dotson a bunch.

I’m sure there are other scenarios I’d be happy with, but with extra draft capital and three legit potential pro bowl LTs in this draft, it would be a little frustrating to see them leave the Moore situation alone.

Drafts can be weird how the board develops, so that’s why I can’t say how I’d feel unless I see what develops.

Reactions: Peat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I feel like if there's one thing I learnt about this league it's not to judge QBs until about the end of Y3 if then.

That or usage is nearly everything.

...and that you are better off being a late round pick to a good team than an early pick to a bad one.

Does Burrow have a double jointed thumb though?

Didn’t think so.

FKc5ZytXoAg3kAD.jpg:large

Grip strength matters way more than hand size, and I would imagine a guy with smaller hands probably has stronger grip because he has to.

I didn't see any security issues with Pickett due to his hand size, and pump faking isn't in his game anyway, so it's moot.

I’m sure there are other scenarios I’d be happy with, but with extra draft capital and three legit potential pro bowl LTs in this draft, it would be a little frustrating to see them leave the Moore situation alone.

Drafts can be weird how the board develops, so that’s why I can’t say how I’d feel unless I see what develops.

At 17 there is a very real possibility a guy who was supposed to be top 10 falls into our laps. It happens every single year, and it is why I always say when people say, "oh this guy will be gone by then" to not to necessarily count on that if they didn't start the year, and remain throughout the year, in the top 10 of the rankings consistently. We all talk about the draft so much, and we all read so many publications, that by time the draft comes, we all have 50 prospects in the 1st round.

Would mean a few significant cap moves

Which with Khan will probably happen anyway.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Broderick Jones sounds like Mike Tomlin when he speaks. I can see him and Tomlin going to dinner, chopping it up, and Tomlin falling in absolute love with him.

Skoronski has had an awesome college career but there is some concern over his arm length and him playing T. There aren't any of those concerns with Jones.

That line at PSU is going to be insanely good next year.
Tries to use big words but they don't mean what he thinks they mean?

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
...and that you are better off being a late round pick to a good team than an early pick to a bad one.

Grip strength matters way more than hand size, and I would imagine a guy with smaller hands probably has stronger grip because he has to.

I didn't see any security issues with Pickett due to his hand size, and pump faking isn't in his game anyway, so it's moot.

At 17 there is a very real possibility a guy who was supposed to be top 10 falls into our laps. It happens every single year, and it is why I always say when people say, "oh this guy will be gone by then" to not to necessarily count on that if they didn't start the year, and remain throughout the year, in the top 10 of the rankings consistently. We all talk about the draft so much, and we all read so many publications, that by time the draft comes, we all have 50 prospects in the 1st round.

Which with Khan will probably happen anyway.

When I played in the 90s, gloves made it easy as hell to grip/catch the ball. Before my hands were fully grown I could make easy one handed catches with gloves that I couldn’t without them.

Gloves have only evolved and gotten much better since then, so the hand size thing always made me laugh.

And with 4 QBs likely to go in the top 15, someone will slip to the Steelers. I just prefer it to be a LT and then you possibly have the two most important positions on the field locked up for a decade (hopefully).

If not I’m hoping for DL, WR. No corner excites me in this draft, but that could be because of their woeful drafting of the position since the early 90s.

Unless a guy is a perfect CB prospect, I worry about their ability to develop him.

I guess Sutton is coming along ok, but it took about uh five years.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne

I have a question for my american friends:

Why is there a statue of a man performing sexual acts to a woman build in Boston?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad