OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
11 in point per drive
3rd yards per drive
1 time per drive
8th in percentage
Not a bad 9 game finish

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

The article might be right but it's basically betting on the Steelers being dumb and having too much faith in a guy who has so far topped out as mediocre. Also, if they believe in Moore, it's not like they can't find other positions on the line where the current starter could be displaced by him...

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The article might be right but it's basically betting on the Steelers being dumb and having too much faith in a guy who has so far topped out as mediocre. Also, if they believe in Moore, it's not like they can't find other positions on the line where the current starter could be displaced by him...
Yeah Colbert was fine with Villanueva and Starks
Not sure how the new gm will operate

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Weidl is a huge trench guy, so I don’t buy any of this.

Moore was a big issue and if a good LT falls to them, they are going to protect their investment in KP.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Agreed. Moore was such an obvious liability over there. Need to draft a 10 year rock solid LT to keep around with KP.

Hoping Broderick Jones is there at 17 unless they move up for the big two.

A lot of ppl think he may be the first guy off the board among LT because he has highest upside.

Much like KP last year he’s the guy I want them to get.

In the 25+ yrs I’ve followed the draft, Steelers have only taken the guy I coveted before the draft three times:

Plex
Roth
KP

So probably a long shot, but I’m on a streak of one…

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
It sucks the Tackle from Penn State ended up returning to school. TheSteelers probably wouldn’t have had a shot at him, but it would have pushed everyone else down.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

A lot of ppl think he may be the first guy off the board among LT because he has highest upside.

In the 25+ yrs I’ve followed the draft, Steelers have only taken the guy I coveted before the draft three times:

Plex
Roth
KP

Broderick Jones sounds like Mike Tomlin when he speaks. I can see him and Tomlin going to dinner, chopping it up, and Tomlin falling in absolute love with him.

Skoronski has had an awesome college career but there is some concern over his arm length and him playing T. There aren't any of those concerns with Jones.

It sucks the Tackle from Penn State ended up returning to school. TheSteelers probably wouldn’t have had a shot at him, but it would have pushed everyone else down.

That line at PSU is going to be insanely good next year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Broderick Jones sounds like Mike Tomlin when he speaks. I can see him and Tomlin going to dinner, chopping it up, and Tomlin falling in absolute love with him.

Skoronski has had an awesome college career but there is some concern over his arm length and him playing T. There aren't any of those concerns with Jones.

That line at PSU is going to be insanely good next year.

Meyer is getting rave reviews for his work, so I feel like getting the highest upside guy who is a little more raw, could work out quite well under his watch.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Plex
Roth
KP

I think Jones is my top guy as it stands today as well. Not sure if Moore would be better on the right side but i do like that there has been improvement and i think if it continues he has higher upside than Chuks.

And you never know a guy like Skoronski could always drop becauses hes a tweener despite how good a prospect he is. If for some reason he falls to the 20s maybe package 32 and something to move on him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think Jones is my top guy as it stands today as well. Not sure if Moore would be better on the right side but i do like that there has been improvement and i think if it continues he has higher upside than Chuks.

And you never know a guy like Skoronski could always drop becauses hes a tweener despite how good a prospect he is. If for some reason he falls to the 20s maybe package 32 and something to move on him.

Slater a couple yrs back was projected to have too short arms for T in the NFL like Skoronski, and he had a great rookie year and PFF felt he would be the best T In the league this year before his injury.

May be a situation where a guy with all the tools you want in a particular position slips like KP, because he doesn’t have ideal measurements in one area.

For KP it was hands, for Skoronski it’s his arms.

Slater to Skoronski could be like Burrow to KP.

Ie Burrow’s smaller hands didn’t hold him back.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As a hypothetical -

How mad are people gonna be if the team comes out of FA and the draft with no major upgrades on the OL, but get really good value elsewhere?

Or do you think the team needs to force something here, even if the value is suboptimal?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
As a hypothetical -

How mad are people gonna be if the team comes out of FA and the draft with no major upgrades on the OL, but get really good value elsewhere?

Or do you think the team needs to force something here, even if the value is suboptimal?
I think they will draft a c of the future for sure in this draft in round 2 I don’t know if they draft a LT but definitely a guard to push Doctson
In FA I expect 2 defensive starters and 2 high quality depth signs.

Reactions: Peat

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As a hypothetical -

My priority for them is a LT. If KP gets hurt, nothing else really matters.

That’s why after QB, LT is a premiere position.

If you can lock up your QB and LT of the future in b2b drafts, you are living large.

I’m confident they can get one of the top three by using their third to move up several slots. I feel it should be their #1 priority.

Chargers were in a similar spot a couple yrs ago after taking Herbert and got their LT at 13 the following yr.

That’s intelligent drafting.

As far as the hypothetical, I’d have to see exactly what value they got to really say.

Last edited:

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
They have never prioritized the OTs early in the draft they haven't drafted an OT in the first round since Jamain Stephens in 1996 and he couldn't even get through a few 40 yard dashes at training camp. They selected Mike Adams in 2012-2013ish despite off field issues and he crapped out. They just don't think it's that important; very wrongly, in my view. Marvel Smith, a 2nd round pick in 2000, has probably been their best OT selection in eons.

Moore is best suited as a backup, nothing more than a stopgap until they find someone better. Okorafor is terrible at run blocking (likely better suited for LT, but crapped out there too). They need upgrades at both Tackle spots, but I doubt they feel the same way; it's arrogance that they think they can turn anyone into an All Pro. You can't always make chicken salad out of chicken bleep.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
New GM drafting for the first time in 20 years. So we’ll see what the Steelers like to do going forward. MT will still have his say, but I’m interested to see how it goes.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
New GM drafting for the first time in 20 years. So we’ll see what the Steelers like to do going forward. MT will still have his say, but I’m interested to see how it goes.

I read in one of the beat reporters chats that Tomlin has never overruled a pick and it’s usually a consensus pick, but he’s just one part of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad