OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I feel like FA is the way to go with another ILB. We anticipate Jack coming back for next year as well, correct? Pair him with a decent FA…though I haven’t looked at the market. Seems like quality guys are always available though.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I feel like FA is the way to go with another ILB. We anticipate Jack coming back for next year as well, correct? Pair him with a decent FA…though I haven’t looked at the market. Seems like quality guys are always available though.
No I don’t think jack is back at 11 million if they bring in a more expensive FA. Jack knees can go at anytime

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
A guy I think would fit in really well here is Andrei Iosivas-WR-Princeton. He was on Bruce Feldman's Freaks List, I believe. 6'4, 200 pounds. Track star with crazy measurables.

Now that's a cool guy to nab in rounds 4/5. A true boom or bust that has freak athletic talent.

Reactions: JTG

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I think Jack will be fine if they get some run defenders in front of him. Outside of Cam, who would you consider to be a good Dlineman?

This is why you have to fix the Oline and Dline before anything else.

Reactions: Mr Jiggyfly

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

I feel like it’s 50/50 on Jack coming back. He gets kind of expensive next year.

Tremaine Edmunds makes a ton of sense if he hits free agency and doesn’t ask for a massive contract. David Long from the Titans also looks like a really interesting option.

Get one of those guys and maybe draft someone like SirVocea Dennis in the late rounds.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Jack will be fine if they get some run defenders in front of him. Outside of Cam, who would you consider to be a good Dlineman?

This is why you have to fix the Oline and Dline before anything else.

This is why I'm a gigantic proponent of getting a NT and I'd draft another DE like Karl Brooks out of Bowling Green or Benton out of Wisconsin. We need to build that defensive line. It makes the defense go and we only are operating on 1.5/3 cylinders.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
This is why I'm a gigantic proponent of getting a NT and I'd draft another DE like Karl Brooks out of Bowling Green or Benton out of Wisconsin. We need to build that defensive line. It makes the defense go and we only are operating on 1.5/3 cylinders.
I am really fixated on Ika the DT from Baylor at #32.

6'4 358. He'd be a huge help in the middle immediately.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
If we go line heavy early:
17 - Johnson Jr/Jones (T)
32 - Ika (DT)
49 - there's several CBs rated in the 40s so probably one of them

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
They could also go the FA route for DL. Re-sign Ogunjobi and then bring in someone like Andrew Billings to bolster the interior.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

They could also go the FA route for DL. Re-sign Ogunjobi and then bring in someone like Andrew Billings to bolster the interior.

You can't fix everything in one draft, even on a team that doesn't have as many needs at the Steelers. So yeah you guys are right that some of the work is going to have to be done in FA or via trade. They haven't been shy about doing late offseason trades in the past but that's been mostly to address DB and it's hard telling how successful they've been - they've added depth but other than Minkah no one who's an impact player. Of course, you also can't afford everyone you'd like either...

There's going to be at least one position group that a large segment of the fanbase is going to be disappointed with going into camp, that the team didn't do enough to address it.

Last edited:
Reactions: xlm34

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A guy I don't think we talk enough about is Trent Simpson-ILB Clemson. He's a lot like Troy was...he's all over. He's uber-talented. I know preseason a lot outlets had him in their top 5. I think Robinson is going to be a good run stuffing LB, but we could use that coverage guy. I think Simpson would fit in well.

I keep seeing his profile in mock drafts and being excited but the way I look at it is

a) There's a good ILB market in FA and it won't cost us as much as other positions to get something done there
b) If we look at him as a big game changing talent... there's going to be game changers in positions we need more at 17 (we hope) and I don't expect him to last to 32 (where I'd 100% take him)
c) If he was a transcendental game changing talent, the sort of guy whose ability to change the field belies his given position, the way Kyle Pitts got drafted miles ahead of any other TEs in his draft year, the way Micah Parsons is turning out... that'd be fantastic if he falls to 17, but I'm not quite sure that's what he is from what people are saying.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I keep seeing his profile in mock drafts and being excited but the way I look at it is

a) There's a good ILB market in FA and it won't cost us as much as other positions to get something done there
b) If we look at him as a big game changing talent... there's going to be game changers in positions we need more at 17 (we hope) and I don't expect him to last to 32 (where I'd 100% take him)
c) If he was a transcendental game changing talent, the sort of guy whose ability to change the field belies his given position, the way Kyle Pitts got drafted miles ahead of any other TEs in his draft year, the way Micah Parsons is turning out... that'd be fantastic if he falls to 17, but I'm not quite sure that's what he is from what people are saying.
I don't think there are MLBs like him in free agency. I think this guy has real potential to be one of "those" types of defenders that kind of define the defense he's on. I guess it's just a differing of opinion though.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I am really fixated on Ika the DT from Baylor at #32.

6'4 358. He'd be a huge help in the middle immediately.
Him or Mazi. I love them both. Ika has more pass rushing ability. Mazi is way more athletic and probably better against the run, as despite his physical gifts he hasn't really had much of note in terms of pass rushing ability. Ika reminds me of Ngata. A team could probably throw him at the 5 tech and he'd be just fine (which would be wild to see).

The concerning thing with Ika is that he has put on a lot of weight since leaving LSU. He should probably play closer to 335 and he's around 360 now.

Mazi has legal issues. He was caught carrying a loaded firearm and was in court because of it.

I'd be completely fine with either one, but Ika's pass rushing ability from the NT spot is really intriguing to me and it's a rare find. Mazi we can *probably* get with our 2nd pick in the 2nd round, but I think once he goes to the combine, he will sneak into round 1.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

no big deal hell only fall to16 so we will never get the chance.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
no big deal hell only fall to16 so we will never get the chance.

Opened up five mocks, only one had him going before 17, two had him available at 32. I think it's pretty likely Simpson will be available for at least the first pick.

I don't think there are MLBs like him in free agency. I think this guy has real potential to be one of "those" types of defenders that kind of define the defense he's on. I guess it's just a differing of opinion though.

I mean I haven't watched the guy at all, I'm just going from profiles and listing at what point it makes sense to me to consider him. I think he has to be one of "those" to be the pick at 17OA. Sure there's maybe not an ILB like him in FA, but there's good enough. We only need good enough and we need a ton of other stuff. If he's one of "those" it's different but I'm not reading enough stuff telling me he's one of "those".

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Where these guys rank is meaningless this far out from the draft, and as a whole rankings aren't all that meaningful anyway aside from getting a general sense of things

I too think ILB should be handled via FA. It's a position like RB that has lost a lot of its prestige and players there are generally cheaper these days. Plus upgrading Devin Bush shouldn't be too difficult.

CB, again, the Steelers have a long sad history of drafting and developing there. Wallace and Witherspoon were decent this year but if we could find a guy better suited to being a CB1, and pushed those guys down to 2 and 3, we'd be set. I'd rather look for a FA than the draft for a guy like that.

Draft priorities would be OT, DT, WR, OG. Go BPA out of that group.

With the cap situation being pretty tight, I think it's likely we see Trubisky cut and DJ moved, but we'll see.

That Chuks deal...yeesh.

Last edited:

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Why is Canada still here?

Seriously, can't fire a dude who got your kid into college.

His offense played less mediocre vs a bunch of 7-9 teams so he's a keeper. Mediocre is the standard. People keep buying tickets, they'll be just fine.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Why is Canada still here?
Seriously, can't fire a dude who got your kid into college.

His offense played less mediocre vs a bunch of 7-9 teams so he's a keeper. Mediocre is the standard. People keep buying tickets, they'll be just fine.
It was always foolish to assume he'd be fired once Tomlin hit his .500 season. Canada is a perfect coordinator to keep on staff as he can take the heat off Tomlin. I don't blame him for keeping him around.

Plus Canada said his system was so complex it takes til year 3 to master. So buckle up Yinzers!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My big question over the likely keeping of Canada is whether that's because Tomlin believes he can really scheme a proper passing game when given decent tools - and the tools have sucked until recently, not saying he should be excused but it's undeniable the raw materials have been bad and I believe Tomlin is thinking that way - or whether it's because he thinks Canada will design the zero risk ball management game he wants.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
My big question over the likely keeping of Canada is whether that's because Tomlin believes he can really scheme a proper passing game when given decent tools - and the tools have sucked until recently, not saying he should be excused but it's undeniable the raw materials have been bad and I believe Tomlin is thinking that way - or whether it's because he thinks Canada will design the zero risk ball management game he wants.
What? Tomlin has no idea what “scheme a proper passing game” means…

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
It was always foolish to assume he'd be fired once Tomlin hit his .500 season. Canada is a perfect coordinator to keep on staff as he can take the heat off Tomlin. I don't blame him for keeping him around.

Plus Canada said his system was so complex it takes til year 3 to master. So buckle up Yinzers!
No Canada didn’t say anything about 3 years that das Colbert
The players actually started to execute his college offense KP and other players spoke about wanting him back

What? Tomlin has no idea what “scheme a proper passing game” means…
Except anyone who watched the all 22 will tell they had tons of wide open Wr all year

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Beating those powder puff teams in the second half of this team fooled our already dumbass owner into thinking the team finished so well. Surely it has nothing to do with the poor quality of teams as of late.

Reactions: Night Shift

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sounding a lot more like Tremaine Edmunds is going to end up here. Big pickup, if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad