OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If they can get a 2nd, that's a no brainer.

Maybe do a trade around Johnson for Hopkins? We'd obviously have to give up more...probably #32. But Hopkins > Johnson and Claypool.

I think Kenny's best-case scenario is a watered down version of Brees - timing and accuracy without maybe the consistent big play ability. When Brady was ruining the Steelers in the 2000's, they had this very methodical dink and dunk style offense where they would carve us up regardless of how highly touted our defense was. That is the type of QB I see Kenny as.

It may change, but I think the era of big deep ball throws are all but done here, and I'm fine with it. Let's embrace the game plan and bring in guys to maximize it. That's why I would bring in another highly competent TE.

The big play ability potential absolutely is there, but that depends on KP getting comfortable enough to take risks consistently and not running your offense though Jeff Graham redux.

It also depends on Tomlin being smart enough to get an experienced OC that can develop KP and the offense into one that can compete in the AFC.

If they add a legit #1 WR that can get deep, that will dramatically change the offense.

They also have a 4.3 guy on the roster who excels at running by guys.

Adding Austin and another legit flanker with potential to be KP’s main guy, will hopefully significantly reduce DJ’s targets.

It’s just a numbers game really… taking targets away from a slow and unreliable WR and giving them to more explosive players will result in bigger plays.

If DJ doesn’t like that, oh well.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Frazier isn’t in the draft.
He's eligible, but I would doubt he comes out. Highest grade I've seen on him is 5th round right now.

The big play ability potential absolutely is there, but that depends on KP getting comfortable enough to take risks consistently and not running your offense though Jeff Graham redux.

It also depends on Tomlin being smart enough to get an experienced OC that can develop KP and the offense into one that can compete in the AFC.

If they add a legit #1 WR that can get deep, that will dramatically change the offense.

Adding Austin and another legit flanker with potential to be KP’s main guy, will hopefully significantly reduce DJ’s targets.

It’s just a numbers game really… taking targets away from a slow and unreliable WR and giving them to more explosive players will result in bigger plays.

Pickens is a do-it-all #1. I'll die on that hill.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

This is completely my take. I am hopeful that we can snag a top WR first. In a perfect world DJ demands to be traded now and we can get any middling pick for the guy.

Say we get a 3rd for him, we could use a pick to package and move up where needed in the top 2 rounds.

My big successes for this offseason is #1 new OC. #2 diminishing DJs role as the main man on offense.

pair Pickens with another freak like Johnston and watch defenses wilt. This is the way to competing with the big offenses of the AFC. Anyone thinking DJ can still be our main target must love purgatory.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
On the assumption we somehow move on from DJ, another WR I'd seriously consider at maybe even 32 is Jalin Hyatt. He's as high as upper 20s in some mocks right now, but there's a better than good shot he's still around at 32. Still prefer Smith-Njigba though.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
WR group needs a YAC guy. Pickens is a 1v1/RZ/boundary threat. Dionte for his warts is a great route runner. Neither is dangerous with the ball.

But they really don’t have a guy that can create post catch all the way through the roster. Like Warren is prob the best YAC guy as the backup RB lol.

I’d kill for a Deebo/AJ Brown archetype and a new OC on this team.

Reactions: Peat

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
This is completely my take. I am hopeful that we can snag a top WR first. In a perfect world DJ demands to be traded now and we can get any middling pick for the guy.

Say we get a 3rd for him, we could use a pick to package and move up where needed in the top 2 rounds.

My big successes for this offseason is #1 new OC. #2 diminishing DJs role as the main man on offense.

pair Pickens with another freak like Johnston and watch defenses wilt. This is the way to competing with the big offenses of the AFC. Anyone thinking DJ can still be our main target must love purgatory.
They won 12 games in 2020 with Dj as the main target guy. Juju was 2nd Claypool was 3rd. They would have won 11 this year if Mt doesn’t throw 3 interceptions against bmore or Kp doesn’t throw 3 interceptions against Miami

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
They won 12 games in 2020 with Dj as the main target guy. Juju was 2nd Claypool was 3rd. They would have won 11 this year if Mt doesn’t throw 3 interceptions against bmore or Kp doesn’t throw 3 interceptions against Miami
Look. I know your stance. You believe Canada and DJ will help this club compete with the AFC elite. I am adamantly against it and see it as incredibly sub par and not good enough.

Reactions: JTG

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
WR group needs a YAC guy. Pickens is a 1v1/RZ/boundary threat. Dionte for his warts is a great route runner. Neither is dangerous with the ball.

But they really don’t have a guy that can create post catch all the way through the roster. Like Warren is prob the best YAC guy as the backup RB lol.

I’d kill for a Deebo/AJ Brown archetype and a new OC on this team.

I would say Smith-Njigba *maybe* fills that type of role the best in this class. Deebo and AJ aren't in this draft. And the more I think about it, the more I'm just not a fan of Addison here either. I get the connection with Kenny, he'd be coming into a good situation here, and I'm sure the coaches are comfortable with him, but we may as well keep DJ if we want Addison. He gets separation with the best of them, but drops balls and gets pushed around.

If we are trading DJ, we need to trade for a WR, IMO, so it's not really worth trading DJ as much as I would like them to.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
On the assumption we somehow move on from DJ, another WR I'd seriously consider at maybe even 32 is Jalin Hyatt. He's as high as upper 20s in some mocks right now, but there's a better than good shot he's still around at 32. Still prefer Smith-Njigba though.

If Hyatt shows at the combine that he has true 4.2x speed. I think he goes higher. Someone will be enamored with that speed to ignore the fact that all he did was run go routes from the slot. I don't think he is worth the 32 pick. Don't get me wrong, he could be an extremely fun player to watch but he is extremely raw and his boom bust quotient is extremely high.

I'm not a big fan of JSN, but I would definitely take him over Hyatt. Though I'm not a fan of receiver that has a Hamstring injury that basically kept him out the entire season. That being said, it would not be a surprise if JSN falls to 32 and the Steelers take him. I mentioned that same scenario a few pages back and it feels like a Steelers thing to do.

I would much rather use the 32 pick on a NT or CB or OT, depending on what they pick with 17. WR should be pick 49 or 80. I firmly believe they can get one of the four OT (Skoronski, Johnson Jr, Jones, Harrison) with the 17 pick. I would then look at which NT and CB are available at 32 and make my choice. If Siaki Ika and Mazi Smith are available, I choose one of them. If they are not there, I look at CBs and choose one or trade down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd.

The 1st pick in the 2nd round is usually a lightning rod for trades.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He's eligible, but I would doubt he comes out. Highest grade I've seen on him is 5th round right now.

I have to see his route tree expand a lot more before I feel that way, but we'll see. He also doesn't seem dangerous after the catch. Those are my two main concerns about wondering if he can be a true #1.

Steelers are a complacent org that don't "turn every stone" to get better as Tomlin would have us believe.

DJ is like Canada in the idea that Tomlin won't see it as necessary to make a change, because he's under zero pressure from AR2. I can't see him being traded. Not after moving Claypool.

I hope they look at an unreliable #1 guy that set a record for TD futility, came up small in big moments, and are proactive in the draft about finding his eventual replacement.

That's probably about the best we can hope for. Then hope that dude and Austin reduce DJ to a reduced role, like Pickens did with Claypool.

The best thing about that pick is the Steelers will have 18-20 hrs on the clock to mull over what to do and take trade requests.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I would say Smith-Njigba *maybe* fills that type of role the best in this class. Deebo and AJ aren't in this draft. And the more I think about it, the more I'm just not a fan of Addison here either. I get the connection with Kenny, he'd be coming into a good situation here, and I'm sure the coaches are comfortable with him, but we may as well keep DJ if we want Addison. He gets separation with the best of them, but drops balls and gets pushed around.

If we are trading DJ, we need to trade for a WR, IMO, so it's not really worth trading DJ as much as I would like them to.

That’s actually a good point on Addison. I’d be down for them to take him because I think he could be a really solid slot receiver for the team, but he’s not all that different from Johnson.

Like you said, he’s a phenomenal route runner but has drop issues. He’s also not particularly fast for his size.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That’s actually a good point on Addison. I’d be down for them to take him because I think he could be a really solid slot receiver for the team, but he’s not all that different from Johnson.

Like you said, he’s a phenomenal route runner but has drop issues. He’s also not particularly fast for his size.

If he's in the slot, where does Austin play? Austin lined up outside in college, but he's not going to make his living there in the NFL.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
If Hyatt shows at the combine that he has true 4.2x speed. I think he goes higher. Someone will be enamored with that speed to ignore the fact that all he did was run go routes from the slot. I don't think he is worth the 32 pick. Don't get me wrong, he could be an extremely fun player to watch but he is extremely raw and his boom bust quotient is extremely high.

I'm not a big fan of JSN, but I would definitely take him over Hyatt. Though I'm not a fan of receiver that has a Hamstring injury that basically kept him out the entire season. That being said, it would not be a surprise if JSN falls to 32 and the Steelers take him. I mentioned that same scenario a few pages back and it feels like a Steelers thing to do.

I would much rather use the 32 pick on a NT or CB or OT, depending on what they pick with 17. WR should be pick 49 or 80. I firmly believe they can get one of the four OT (Skoronski, Johnson Jr, Jones, Harrison) with the 17 pick. I would then look at which NT and CB are available at 32 and make my choice. If Siaki Ika and Mazi Smith are available, I choose one of them. If they are not there, I look at CBs and choose one or trade down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd.

I think I can buy everything here but the OTs. Only 3 of those are arguably worth the 17th. Harrison is a real stretch/reach. But he'll absolutely be there.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Look. I know your stance. You believe Canada and DJ will help this club compete with the AFC elite. I am adamantly against it and see it as incredibly sub par and not good enough.
Who said anything about competing with the elite. The only reason they will compete with the elite is if Kp goes from top 20 Qb to top 10 Qb next year. We are going to see more 2 te more play action next year. Hopefully they cando RPo without the o line blocking down field. I don’t think KP will be asked to throw it 35 times a game
They are going to use FA to rebuild the defense and the depth they lost in 2020

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
If he's in the slot, where does Austin play? Austin lined up outside in college, but he's not going to make his living there in the NFL.

I just don’t think he’ll really factor into draft plans all that much. He’s a 4th round pick that missed pretty much everything outside of a few weeks of camp. It sucks he missed the whole year because he’s a complete unknown at this point for the team.

Even if they take Addison, they should still be able to find snaps for Austin. Maybe if they take Addison, you primarily have DJ and Pickens on the outside with Addison in the slot, but occasionally shift Addison outside and put Austin in the slot. And if you see some success with that, move on from DJ the next year.

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I have to see his route tree expand a lot more before I feel that way, but we'll see. He also doesn't seem dangerous after the catch. Those are my two main concerns about wondering if he can be a true #1.

Steelers are a complacent org that don't "turn every stone" to get better as Tomlin would have us believe.

DJ is like Canada in the idea that Tomlin won't see it as necessary to make a change, because he's under zero pressure from AR2. I can't see him being traded. Not after moving Claypool.

I hope they look at an unreliable #1 guy that set a record for TD futility, came up small in big moments, and are proactive in the draft about finding his eventual replacement.

That's probably about the best we can hope for. Then hope that dude and Austin reduce DJ to a reduced role, like Pickens did with Claypool.

The best thing about that pick is the Steelers will have 18-20 hrs on the clock to mull over what to do and take trade requests.
Here's a Quentin Johnston writeup:

"In nine years of college grading, I can say with certainty we have not seen a wide receiver quite like Johnston. At a rangy 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, he is a terror with the ball in his hands. His broken-tackle rate over his career is unlike anything we’ve graded, with 41 forced missed tackles on 97 career receptions.

That’s what you’d expect from a receiver with a running back-esque build like Deebo Samuel, not a pterodactyl like Johnston."

That is what this team needs to create more threats and break plays open. If he's anywhere near us we need to get him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I just don’t think he’ll really factor into draft plans all that much. He’s a 4th round pick that missed pretty much everything outside of a few weeks of camp. It sucks he missed the whole year because he’s a complete unknown at this point for the team.

Even if they take Addison, they should still be able to find snaps for Austin. Maybe if they take Addison, you primarily have DJ and Pickens on the outside with Addison in the slot, but occasionally shift Addison outside and put Austin in the slot. And if you see some success with that, move on from DJ the next year.

I guess it depends where they get Addison. If they project him as a slot guy, I wouldn't want them using their first or Chi pick on him.

Austin is more of an outside guy, so we have to see if he can even play in the slot, because not every flanker does well moving inside.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Here is your avatar to load per our bet

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 3

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

"In nine years of college grading, I can say with certainty we have not seen a wide receiver quite like Johnston. At a rangy 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, he is a terror with the ball in his hands. His broken-tackle rate over his career is unlike anything we’ve graded, with 41 forced missed tackles on 97 career receptions.

That’s what you’d expect from a receiver with a running back-esque build like Deebo Samuel, not a pterodactyl like Johnston."

That is what this team needs to create more threats and break plays open. If he's anywhere near us we need to get him.

I think your top two LT have to be off the board and some luck has to factor into Johnston being their guy at 17.

I feel confident a top talent is going to slip down because of the QBs, especially if Richardson slips in the top 12 or so. He's a big wildcard that could push a top ten talent within the Steelers range if they want to trade up a few slots.

Hoping the Steelers go BPA with their first and then focus on needs with Chi pick and their second.

The Chi pick really gives them the luxury of not worrying so much about addressing holes with their first pick, but finding a legit star, no matter the position.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I think your top two LT have to be off the board and some luck has to factor into Johnston being their guy at 17.

I feel confident a top talent is going to slip down because of the QBs, especially if Richardson slips in the top 12 or so. He's a big wildcard that could push a top ten talent within the Steelers range if they want to trade up a few slots.

Hoping the Steelers go BPA with their first and then focus on needs with Chi pick and their second.

The Chi pick really gives them the luxury of not worrying so much about addressing holes with their first pick, but finding a legit star, no matter the position.

Yep. AR and Levis will absolutely need to be picked ahead of us. And I think they will. Might even be some others based on some mocks I'm seeing. Always someone from the combine that flies up the charts that no one is really expecting to.

Agree with the BPA idea as well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Who said anything about competing with the elite. The only reason they will compete with the elite is if Kp goes from top 20 Qb to top 10 Qb next year. We are going to see more 2 te more play action next year. Hopefully they cando RPo without the o line blocking down field. I don’t think KP will be asked to throw it 35 times a game
They are going to use FA to rebuild the defense and the depth they lost in 2020

I think everyone agrees with that.

It invites the question of how do you get Pickett there. Usage and weapons will have as much to do with his development as Pickett's ability, so you ask questions about them.

Are the WRs and TE not good enough, good enough, absolutely lethal and a huge benefit, or what?

I like the guys they have but it seems to just be good enough for me in terms of his top 3 targets, and missing another guy to offer another option and step in if there's injuries.

They want to get Pickett to that top 10 spot sooner rather than later, it's an area to look at.

*watches highlights*

He spins out of that first tackle after the reception a lot. Part of me wonders whether NFL CBs are going to let him do that but there's definitely some freaky talent there.

Reactions: Flying Dego
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad