OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Pickett was fine as a rookie. Difficult to compare to Ben. The league was very different back then. Defenses were less hogtied, offenses ran the ball way more. Both were surrounded by very good skill players. Ben had quite possibly the best OL in team history in front of him, while Pickett has one of the worst.

This is a crucial time for Pickett and Tomlin. I think Matt Canada is a terrible OC and should have been fired mid-season. He needs to go and for reasons beyond his ineptitude as a play caller and schemer. We can’t have Pickett spend a few years in a bad system just to have to learn new one. The time to change is now

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
Texans firing their coach after one season after failing to lose to tank, yeah that's going to be a fun future accusation to hear about about tanking and being fired for not doing it successfully enough.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Drama time!

EDIT: OR MAYBE NOT. Steelers Depot saying nothing's changed about his Insta like the first tweet is saying. Leaving here for completeness but looks like maybe nothing.

edit: the unavailable tweet was Diontae Johnson hinting at big things in his future.

I mostly expect it to blow over but if he doesn't and he's traded or cut, then oh well.

And tbh I don't know why I expect it to blow over than this feeling so small, him having nothing to feel hard done by and this coaching staff's tendency to be easy going with divas.

Last edited:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Drama time!

edit: the unavailable tweet was Diontae Johnson hinting at big things in his future.

I mostly expect it to blow over but if he doesn't and he's traded or cut, then oh well.

And tbh I don't know why I expect it to blow over than this feeling so small, him having nothing to feel hard done by and this coaching staff's tendency to be easy going with divas.

Isn’t pretty common for players to unfollow teams in the off season

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well SteelersDepot are saying that he never followed them or had them in his bio so not even then. Looks like a manufactured controversy, move on unless something else comes up.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
And how many teams in the NFL haven't even made the playoffs in the last 6 years? How many teams in the NFL haven't even hit .500 in 6 years?

The Steelers haven't had success in the playoffs, sure. But the amount of success they've had over that window is still miles more than a lot of teams in the NFL. Consistently competing for a playoff spot and being in the hunt all season is more than what 20 teams in the NFL do.
Not winning a playoff game in 6 years is somehow miles ahead of what a lot other teams have done???? That is an absolutely amazingly bad take.

Look, the organization itself set the standard of competing for Super Bowls each year, not playoff spots. You can’t reset the goal posts when it’s the team saying it.

Reactions: Pengwins

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Roth was a playground QB early in his career, but it worked for him because as you said, he was a big mutant with a rocket arm.

Roth was always this big lumbering guy, even as a rookie. He reminded me of Shrek running with the rock and just throwing people off him.

KP is just a more nimble and agile athlete than Roth was IMHO. As the NFL found out, he can kill teams when he’s on the move with both his arm and legs.

I found it really odd he never got enough credit for that ability from the scouts.

I wrote about it last spring over and over, and he showed us he can make special plays on the move in the NFL.

KP can really move though and while maybe he can’t fall down and throw it 50 yards under his legs while standing on his head like Mahomes, it’s a huge weapon in his arsenal.

That’s one of the talents he had that really made me want the Steelers to draft him.

I think the difference was Roth gave no f***s when he was on the run in his youth and would chuck the ball deep and do risky shit that probably gave Cowher more greys on his pubes.

You can’t argue with the results because he won a SB by year two doing his thing.

He just was like Lemieux in a sense where he relied on his natural gifts and got a reputation for not working as hard as he should have at his craft.

The best QBs I ever saw beat teams with their superior intelligence and hard work, not their great physical gifts… Montana, Brady and Manning.

Brady and Montana were wispy guys with avg arms and Manning was a big guy, but he ran with two left feet and couldn’t throw off tacklers like Roth.

That’s why I’m always wary about the freak athlete that can’t actually throw accurately and don’t know how to read a D, go through progressions, etc.

I think KP has a lot more natural gifts than he gets credit for, and when you combine that with his work ethic, he should be a lot of fun to watch over the next x amount of years.

I underestimated Kenny completely. I'll be the first one to admit it. I chalked him up as a really good college QB doing exactly what he was supposed to do as a super senior. He has a lot more depth to his game than I even realized.

Drama time!

Pretty sure I called this a couple of pages ago. I really do not think he's in Pittsburgh at the start of next season.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
If Colbert were still here, we could safely say DJ will play out his contract here. With Khan showing a more aggressive approach, we'll see. Personally, it would only make sense if they could get a 2nd for him.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If Colbert were still here, we could safely say DJ will play out his contract here. With Khan showing a more aggressive approach, we'll see. Personally, it would only make sense if they could get a 2nd for him.
No I think the Steelers and DJ are tied together for 23. If GP and Austin show out then he gets moved next off season

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I underestimated Kenny completely. I'll be the first one to admit it. I chalked him up as a really good college QB doing exactly what he was supposed to do as a super senior. He has a lot more depth to his game than I even realized.

Pretty sure I called this a couple of pages ago. I really do not think he's in Pittsburgh at the start of next season.

If KP becomes a top ten Qb in the league, which I feel he can be, I'll be elated with that.

I don't care if he isn't Mahomes Or Allen.

I pointed it out before, but Roth was never considered one of those elite guys either.

It was always Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers and "I'll take Rivers (the f***?), Luck and E. Manning over him to!"

If they build around him and develop KP right, I feel pretty strongly he's their guy for the next decade.

I know I'll get all the realists calling me out here, but KP might even bring a playoff victory to Pgh one day.

There, I wrote it...

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Drama time!

EDIT: OR MAYBE NOT. Steelers Depot saying nothing's changed about his Insta like the first tweet is saying. Leaving here for completeness but looks like maybe nothing.

Can we look at my plea to draft a high profile wide out Round 1 now?

Guy provides nothing tangible for us and is dramatic. As crazy as AB was ....at least he had the talent

If a 2nd is on the table for DJ you take that and sprint away laughing.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Guy provides nothing tangible for us and is dramatic. As crazy as AB was ....at least he had the talent

Samesies. Deal him for a ~2nd, eat the cap hit (offset by cutting Jackson, etc.), and use one of the picks on a replacement.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

C'mon man. You're quoting the edit that says the level of drama is at least 90% reporting and 10% at most Johnson, and most of the convo in the last few pages has been about WR needs :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Flying Dego

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009

He'd be one of the better WR2s in the league which I think would place his value as a 2nd round or a 3rd and a 5th maybe

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Going back to what @Flying Dego said about WRs

I 100% support getting receiving help

But when I look at potential next season scenarios, some of which will be addressed in FA, I'm more okay with Pickens/Muth being the top targets next season than I am Moore/Dotson/Okorafor being starters or it being Heyward and... uh, Leal and Loudermilk on the DL. I think similar situations open up if they cut Jack to save money at ILB, or at CB if they can't bring Sutton back (and arguably even if they do).

WR in the 1st ahead of those positions? Depending on how it breaks, I guess sure. But I think getting an immediate starter in the trenches is going to make more sense.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Going back to what @Flying Dego said about WRs

I 100% support getting receiving help

But when I look at potential next season scenarios, some of which will be addressed in FA, I'm more okay with Pickens/Muth being the top targets next season than I am Moore/Dotson/Okorafor being starters or it being Heyward and... uh, Leal and Loudermilk on the DL. I think similar situations open up if they cut Jack to save money at ILB, or at CB if they can't bring Sutton back (and arguably even if they do).

WR in the 1st ahead of those positions? Depending on how it breaks, I guess sure. But I think getting an immediate starter in the trenches is going to make more sense.
Look. Is it the responsible thing to get a solid T or DL in the 1st? Probably.

Is it more exciting to gamble on a high talent WR? Yes.

Will I ultimately care? No, as long as they upgrade what they can. Will still have weaknesses. Canada not being gone will irk me the most. Actually the only thing that would make me crazy is if they fire him and promote Sullivan.

I think a fresh OC does a lot for this team.

With that said, let's just get back to our roots and draft the best OLB round 1. Ok?

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Look. Is it the responsible thing to get a solid T or DL in the 1st? Probably.

Is it more exciting to gamble on a high talent WR? Yes.

Will I ultimately care? No, as long as they upgrade what they can. Will still have weaknesses. Canada not being gone will irk me the most. Actually the only thing that would make me crazy is if they fire him and promote Sullivan.

I think a fresh OC does a lot for this team.

With that said, let's just get back to our roots and draft the best OLB round 1. Ok?

Trade up and get two. All edge rush all the time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't have a problem with taking a WR with either 2nd rounder the Steelers have. Do they have more pressing needs? Yeah, but I also kinda consider that extra 2nd house money since they got it for Claypool. They traded a shitty WR for essentially a late 1st, I have absolutely no complaints if they use the extra 2nd they got for Claypool on another WR.

I think the dream scenario for this draft is that you trade up with pick #32 and snag both an OT and CB in round 1. This website has the consensus big boards generated based on mock drafts, it has Johnson Jr at #9, Skoronski at #15, Porter at #17 and Jones (who I think is another viable option) at #22. Taking Porter Jr at #17 and then trading #32 and #80 for #22 and taking Jones seems completely realistic to me.

Using that as a boilerplate, I'd want to something like this as the plan for the first 2 rounds:

#17: Porter Jr, CB
#22: Jones, LT
#49: Tuipulotu, DL

Reactions: Peat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

If they can get a 2nd, that's a no brainer.

Maybe do a trade around Johnson for Hopkins? We'd obviously have to give up more...probably #32. But Hopkins > Johnson and Claypool.

If KP becomes a top ten Qb in the league, which I feel he can be, I'll be elated with that.

I don't care if he isn't Mahomes Or Allen.

I pointed it out before, but Roth was never considered one of those elite guys either.

It was always Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers and "I'll take Rivers (the f***?), Luck and E. Manning over him to!"

If they build around him and develop KP right, I feel pretty strongly he's their guy for the next decade.

I know I'll get all the realists calling me out here, but KP might even bring a playoff victory to Pgh one day.

There, I wrote it...

I think Kenny's best-case scenario is a watered down version of Brees - timing and accuracy without maybe the consistent big play ability. When Brady was ruining the Steelers in the 2000's, they had this very methodical dink and dunk style offense where they would carve us up regardless of how highly touted our defense was. That is the type of QB I see Kenny as. Should also be notated - Kenny threw 1 interception after the bye week.

It may change, but I think the era of big deep ball throws are all but done here, and I'm fine with it. Let's embrace the game plan and bring in guys to maximize it. That's why I would bring in another highly competent TE.

Three things that Kenny has to do better on to become truly an elite level QB, IMO -

1. Settle his feet down. He tap dances and it makes for him not to have a strong base, which makes balls sail on him.
2. He needs to learn to climb the pocket v. escaping the pocket. He will escape the pocket and put himself into a sack situation or trying to throw with someone in his face. He needs to stand in there and step up, if need be.
3. When he rolls out he needs to scan the field better. I counted 4 times that I remember where he rolled out and if he let it sail up the middle of the field, it was a TD. He left a lot out there, but that is to be expected.

A lot of these issues he is experiencing now are PTSD from Pitt where he had no line and he got obliterated his first couple years.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I wouldn't have a problem with taking a WR with either 2nd rounder the Steelers have. Do they have more pressing needs? Yeah, but I also kinda consider that extra 2nd house money since they got it for Claypool. They traded a shitty WR for essentially a late 1st, I have absolutely no complaints if they use the extra 2nd they got for Claypool on another WR.

I think the dream scenario for this draft is that you trade up with pick #32 and snag both an OT and CB in round 1. This website has the consensus big boards generated based on mock drafts, it has Johnson Jr at #9, Skoronski at #15, Porter at #17 and Jones (who I think is another viable option) at #22. Taking Porter Jr at #17 and then trading #32 and #80 for #22 and taking Jones seems completely realistic to me.

Using that as a boilerplate, I'd want to something like this as the plan for the first 2 rounds:

#17: Porter Jr, CB
#22: Jones, LT
#49: Tuipulotu, DL

The one thing I am resolute on with this draft is we have to come away with Siaki Ika or Mazi Smith. It doesn't matter which one to me, but we need a nose.

I like Tuipulotu, but I think Leal is going to be a really good DE. I think there are more pressing needs.

I also like Jaelan Duncan with 49.

Some OL guys I really, really like are Joe Tippman IOL-Wisconsin and Zach Frazier IOL-WVU. They should be mid-late round picks.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
The one thing I am resolute on with this draft is we have to come away with Siaki Ika or Mazi Smith. It doesn't matter which one to me, but we need a nose.

I like Tuipulotu, but I think Leal is going to be a really good DE. I think there are more pressing needs.

I also like Jaelan Duncan with 49.

Some OL guys I really, really like are Joe Tippman IOL-Wisconsin and Zach Frazier IOL-WVU. They should be mid-late round picks.
Frazier isn’t in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad