OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Steelers fans are so out of touch if they think "not winning a playoff game for 6 years" is even remotely on par with the dumpster fires that most NFL organizations deal with. Spoiled fanbase.

Have the Steelers not won anything in the last decade? Yeah sure. They've also made the playoffs in 6 of 10 years and have an average record of 10-6 over that decade. The only teams who have clearly had more success than the Steelers in the last decade are the Patriots, Seahawks, Rams and Chiefs.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Lots of people pointing the finger at Troy Vincent

Really bad look for the NFL. Buck's comments:

"If what I said on national TV with the eyes of the world watching was wrong in the view of the league, I would have been corrected -- immediately," Buck said. "And I was not."

Four separate times in a span of 45 minutes, Buck indicated that the game would resume.

No one from the league ever asked for a retraction. "We were on the air for another 40 minutes and no one corrected the idea that the game would resume," Buck said. "No one."

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yeah they need to sign him early 12-15 aav now not waiting until next year

I'm thinking that will not be enough. He will be looking for Bradley Chubb/Harold Landry money. So, I'm thinking 17-20mil a season. IMO, if they can't get him signed to an extension then they have to look to trade him before the draft. They should be able to get a 1st round pick+.

I would much rather they sign him.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I'm thinking that will not be enough. He will be looking for Bradley Chubb/Harold Landry money. So, I'm thinking 17-20mil a season. IMO, if they can't get him signed to an extension then they have to look to trade him before the draft. They should be able to get a 1st round pick+.

I would much rather they sign him.
Chubb and landry are batsman’s he isnt he is a Robin
Redick in Philly makes 15 million aav and has double the sacks he got 3-45 from Philly

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Chubb and landry are batsman’s he isnt he is a Robin
Redick in Philly makes 15 million aav and has double the sacks he got 3-45 from Philly

If he is willing to sign for 12-15 mil a season, I would take it an run. He is also very good at run defense and I think that factors in as well.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
NFL cap is going to keep jumping to crazy heights.

That new lucrative tv deal starts next season and will make another massive leap in the cap:

Keeping Highsmith around shouldn’t be an issue.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I don't like Canada, but the team went 7-2 in their last 9 to end the year with him. In those 9 games, they averaged about 200 passing yards and 150 rushing yards per game and showed absolutely astronomical improvement with moving the ball and converting on 3rd downs.

There are clearly things that need to improve, especially in the passing game and capitalizing with TDs on these long drives. But I also feel like there were some pretty massive signs of progress during the year, to the point where I think Canada earned another chance for next year.

Going into the off-season, I think they need to do all of these things to take the offense to a contending level:

1. Improve the OL to have a more consistent running game. The offense is carried by the run game and it averaging 150 yards per game down the stretch, they need to get that kind of production consistently going forward. You have a good RB tandem, now you need to beef up your OL and improve their run blocking.
2. Improve the OC play calling to incorporate Pickens in the offense more, especially in the red zone. The failure to convert red zone opportunities into TDs is the biggest reason why this team isn't in the playoffs right now.
3. Have Pickett improve his vision so he's able to make plays on the schemes Canada is calling. I remember he missed a golden opportunity to hit Simms for a walk-in TD, he needs to see those opportunities when they arise.

I think the OC playcalling needs to improve, but I'm mostly indifferent to whether they fire Canada and replace him or just give Canada one more chance to improve. The Pickens thing is obvious to me:

Canada has truly lowered our expectations for an offense. Yikes.

Even during the 7-2 run, our offense was awful. Sure the running game improved, but it didn't lead to TDs. And don't forget we played mostly bad teams in the 2nd half, and we still couldn't score TDs except week 18.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Even during the 7-2 run, our offense was awful. Sure the running game improved, but it didn't lead to TDs. And don't forget we played mostly bad teams in the 2nd half, and we still couldn't score TDs except week 18.

People are seriously overlooking that the 7-2 run was against some really shitty teams. You're right, we still really struggled to score TDs. No real splash plays to speak of. And our run game is essentially running Harris into a wall 20+ times a game and hoping he averages 3+ YPC.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Yeah we're sooo spoiled :laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I expect Canada back in the same way I expect DJ to remain the focal point of the passing game.

Steelers are great at fooling themselves that they are on the right track, and change isn’t needed.

Stay the course!

And basically I mean AR2. He accepts mediocrity and in turn Tomlin feels zero pressure to be anything but a middle of the pack coach.

That gets you 3 playoff wins in 12 years.

That gets you 4 seasons of 9 wins or less out of the last 5.

That gets you six seasons of no playoff wins.

Does anyone with a lick of common sense feel Canada will be a part of the solution to help this offense win the arms race in the AFC?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I expect Canada back in the same way I expect DJ to remain the focal point of the passing game.

Steelers are great at fooling themselves that they are on the right track, and change isn’t needed.

Stay the course!

And basically I mean AR2. He accepts mediocrity and in turn Tomlin feels zero pressure to be anything but a middle of the pack coach.

Does anyone with a lick of common sense feel Canada will be a part of the solution to help this offense win the arms race in the AFC?

But but but other teams have it worse so that must mean we're the most spoiled fan base.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Steelers fans are so out of touch if they think "not winning a playoff game for 6 years" is even remotely on par with the dumpster fires that most NFL organizations deal with. Spoiled fanbase.

Have the Steelers not won anything in the last decade? Yeah sure. They've also made the playoffs in 6 of 10 years and have an average record of 10-6 over that decade. The only teams who have clearly had more success than the Steelers in the last decade are the Patriots, Seahawks, Rams and Chiefs.

Not winning a playoff game in 6 years is a drought not seen in 50 years. Even the malaise 80s teams won playoff games with better regularity. And those teams didn't have half the talent. You either stand for something as an organization & meet that standard or you accept mediocrity. But you can't have it both ways. If the logo is about Lombardi, then the past 12 seasons with only 3 playoff wins is utterly unacceptable. The organization trots out its glorious past but absolutely accepts mediocrity. For long time fans (or even fans who saw the last two Super Bowl wins), that is not acceptable.

Stay the course!

the organization is coming off the rails & it starts with a weak owner. Art 2 is more like his grandfather & not his dad & that's a really bad thing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Literally the second paragraph in that post:

There are clearly things that need to improve, especially in the passing game and capitalizing with TDs on these long drives.

Did you even read the post you replied to?

I never said the offense was fine. I said that it showed signs of improvement to the point where I think you can argue Canada earned one more year to fix the issues with the offense. They need to improve the OC playcalling, but I'm indifferent on whether they bring in someone else or give Canada one more chance.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Not winning a playoff game in 6 years is a drought not seen in 50 years. Even the malaise 80s teams won playoff games with better regularity. And those teams didn't have half the talent. You either stand for something as an organization & meet that standard or you accept mediocrity. But you can't have it both ways. If the logo is about Lombardi, then the past 12 seasons with only 3 playoff wins is utterly unacceptable. The organization trots out its glorious past but absolutely accepts mediocrity. For long time fans (or even fans who saw the last two Super Bowl wins), that is not acceptable.

the organization is coming off the rails & it starts with a weak owner. Art 2 is more like his grandfather & not his dad & that's a really bad thing.

Well said.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

And how many teams in the NFL haven't even made the playoffs in the last 6 years? How many teams in the NFL haven't even hit .500 in 6 years?

The Steelers haven't had success in the playoffs, sure. But the amount of success they've had over that window is still miles more than a lot of teams in the NFL. Consistently competing for a playoff spot and being in the hunt all season is more than what 20 teams in the NFL do.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
And how many teams in the NFL haven't even made the playoffs in the last 6 years? How many teams in the NFL haven't even hit .500 in 6 years?

The Steelers haven't had success in the playoffs, sure. But the amount of success they've had over that window is still miles more than a lot of teams in the NFL. Consistently competing for a playoff spot and being in the hunt all season is more than what 20 teams in the NFL do.

Steelers recently set an NFL record for most points given up in 2 straight home playoff games which is 93 points.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

Not sure what you're expecting here...I doubt your point will land well with any Steelers fan lol.

"Hey we might be disappointed the past decade from what we're used to but have you guys seen how badly the Lions have been? Really makes me feel better "

Reactions: Night Shift

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not sure what you're expecting here...I doubt your point will land well with any Steelers fan lol.

"Hey we might be disappointed the past decade from what we're used to but have you guys seen how badly the Lions have been? Really makes me feel better "

The point I'm making is that this team isn't a tire fire, that's all. I'm not arguing they've been amazingly successful, I'm saying they're not a dumpster fire.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Steelers recently set an NFL record for most points given up in 2 straight home playoff games which is 93 points.

Also set a little known record agt Jax by becoming the first home team to score 40+ and still lose.

All in all, they have let up 40+ in their last three playoff losses and 35 agt NE.

Tomlin isn’t just having mediocre seasons and bad luck in the playoffs, he’s setting all time records for getting an ass whipping.

Many Tomlin supporters gloss all over the entirety of what’s been going on under Tomlin Purgatory and point to the 9 win seasons as proof he’s a great coach.

We had someone put on their clown shoes and beat their chest about it on Sunday.

That’s where we are as fans under Tomlin - it’s kind of sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Shift

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Literally the second paragraph in that post:

Did you even read the post you replied to?

I never said the offense was fine. I said that it showed signs of improvement to the point where I think you can argue Canada earned one more year to fix the issues with the offense. They need to improve the OC playcalling, but I'm indifferent on whether they bring in someone else or give Canada one more chance.

Nah man.

I think there was improvement. I think some of the expectations have been out of whack for a rebuilding offence that decided to install a different QB before heading to Pickett, right or wrong.

I think a lot of the things being laid at Canada's door need to be shunted one door along. To steal from a Kaboly article:

Asked Tuesday if the team was conservative by design, Tomlin replied, “Succinctly, yes.”

I think this direction from the top has a huge amount to do with the offence's struggles, both in terms of playcalling and mentality. Tomlin talks about preferring to say "woah" than "sic 'em", but the direction to the offence has been the opposite.

But to deserve a chance, to say he's earned it, I think he has to have actually done it, not be maybe on track. He hasn't done it. There's been, what, three-five good halves and some great do or die drives. That's not enough for nine games.

I'm mentally prepping myself to deal with him being back. Maybe it won't be a disaster. But I don't think he's earned it at all.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad