OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The Positives -

Kenny showed that he has at the very least starter potential and he can get guys to follow him. Najee seems to have turned a corner/gotten healthy. We found a legit #1 WR. We found a legit #2 RB. I think guys like Robinson and Leal started stepping up a bit, and they look to be promising. The offensive line, though still below the bar, got better as the season went on. With a defined direction now in terms of personnel, they should be able to get into camp next season and hit the ground running. We have 3 top 50 picks that will be added to the lineup, and the team overall is much easier to cheer for.

The Negatives -

The team really isn't that good, and a ton of progression needs to occur. OL, DL, and MLB are all below the bar. Seeing Bush walk with as much capital as we utilized to trade up for him hurts. They have to find a NT in this draft, and luckily there are a few of them. A guy like Siaki Ika or Mazi Smith would give us a rallying point on that defensive line and would really easy some pressure on Cam as he gets into the twilight of his career. They need to figure out the WR situation. If they pull the trigger in drafting a WR in the top 50, I'd look to flip DJ. Pickens needs to be the focus of this team. All positions on the OL can be upgraded. I'm hoping Weidl is better at picking corners than Colbert was. They have to figure out this coaching staff. Still not a believer in the offense. Still not a believer in this defense. I will give kudos to the OL coach because he does seem to have been able to mold that line to a respectable level.

It's going to be a long offseason. My hope is that the new front office can land some impact players and maybe a decent free agent or two, and we can come into next season ready to return to the top of the North.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Absolutely. Getting Claypool and Juju out helped. They weren’t terrible, just kind of obnoxious relative to their mediocre production. Then I think some of the younger guys are starting to mature and lead, like Minkah and Pickett who seem like rock solid people.

Literally got a first rounder for Claypool.

The Positives -

Kenny showed that he has at the very least starter potential and he can get guys to follow him. Najee seems to have turned a corner/gotten healthy. We found a legit #1 WR. We found a legit #2 RB. I think guys like Robinson and Leal started stepping up a bit, and they look to be promising. The offensive line, though still below the bar, got better as the season went on. With a defined direction now in terms of personnel, they should be able to get into camp next season and hit the ground running. We have 3 top 50 picks that will be added to the lineup, and the team overall is much easier to cheer for.

The Negatives -

The team really isn't that good, and a ton of progression needs to occur. OL, DL, and MLB are all below the bar. Seeing Bush walk with as much capital as we utilized to trade up for him hurts. They have to find a NT in this draft, and luckily there are a few of them. A guy like Siaki Ika or Mazi Smith would give us a rallying point on that defensive line and would really easy some pressure on Cam as he gets into the twilight of his career. They need to figure out the WR situation. If they pull the trigger in drafting a WR in the top 50, I'd look to flip DJ. Pickens needs to be the focus of this team. All positions on the OL can be upgraded. I'm hoping Weidl is better at picking corners than Colbert was. They have to figure out this coaching staff. Still not a believer in the offense. Still not a believer in this defense. I will give kudos to the OL coach because he does seem to have been able to mold that line to a respectable level.

It's going to be a long offseason. My hope is that the new front office can land some impact players and maybe a decent free agent or two, and we can come into next season ready to return to the top of the North.

It blows the season is over.

Watching KP develop made this the most I enjoyed a season in over a decade, probably longer.

Hoping for a LT in the first, an anchor on the Dline and a receiver to eventually replace DJ with their first three picks.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If the motherf***er knew how to high point a ball and use his body he would be amazing.
He's 6'4 and jumps 40 inches. There shouldn't be a DB in the league that can high point a ball on him. I have never in my life seen a guy more willing to catch a ball while falling down than standing up. Plax was infuriating because he couldn't high point either, but Claypool was way worse.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The Positives -

The Negatives -

I don’t think it’s out of the question they make a run for the division next year. A good offseason is definitely needed but they have the draft capital and cap space make some significant improvements.

It just feels like the first time in a while this team has had a little bit of upward momentum. You kind of forget how a promising young QB can energize the fan base a little bit.

Now hopefully some of the rumors that Canada was on the outs were true. Won’t hold my breath on that one though.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don’t think it’s out of the question they make a run for the division next year. A good offseason is definitely needed but they have the draft capital and cap space make some significant improvements.

It just feels like the first time in a while this team has had a little bit of upward momentum. You kind of forget how a promising young QB can energize the fan base a little bit.

Now hopefully some of the rumors that Canada was on the outs were true. Won’t hold my breath on that one though.
The run at the end of the season saved Canada's bacon, I think.

I just think the team is likable. Kenny, Najee, TJ, Minkah, and Cam all seem like awesome guys.

I am curious as to how aggressive this front office will get with draft capital and in free agency. Jalen Carter is Joe Greene-esque. PFF has him right up there as one of the highest graded DTs since they have been tracking players. They could move up to grab him and have a center of that defense for the next 10-15 years.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
The Positives -

The Negatives -

1673236546034.png

I think the data and reality match your Positives/Negatives. The "run" was vs a bunch of teams that finished with <7 wins and Baltimore (with Huntley as QB) ...

We'll see what happens next year vs teams with winning records and decent coaching staffs.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
The run at the end of the season saved Canada's bacon, I think.

I just think the team is likable. Kenny, Najee, TJ, Minkah, and Cam all seem like awesome guys.

I am curious as to how aggressive this front office will get with draft capital and in free agency. Jalen Carter is Joe Greene-esque. PFF has him right up there as one of the highest graded DTs since they have been tracking players. They could move up to grab him and have a center of that defense for the next 10-15 years.

As much as I love Jalen Carter, I do not want them to spend that much capital for one player.

They can still get a stud left tackle at 17, a starting CB at 32 and a damn good NT like Mazi Smith at 49. And I believe it would cost an extra pick next year just to move up into the top 4 to get him.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes #1.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Now that the season is over, the Steelers are officially locked into the 17th, 32nd, 48th and 80th picks in the first 3 rounds. I think they're probably going to need to trade up to get a LT with their 1st, I would be more confident if they were sitting around 13 but I don't think a good LT lasts until 17.

Based on the NFL draft pick trade charts, combining picks 17 and 80 should yield pick 13 and picks 17 and 48 should yield pick 8. I think doing either one of those is a no brainer, 17 and 80 is the more ideal solution IMO. Do that trade and take the best LT available at 13 is what I'd be trying to do in the 1st round.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Given the number of positions that could use reinforcements, part of me dislikes the idea of trading up. There's going to be someone who can really help the Steelers at 17 - either an OT, DT, or CB.

Given I expect to narrow those needs down in FA tho, yeah, I can see trading up being a need.

If that does happen for an OT then, given the number of mocks I've seen suggesting Paris Johnson goes 8th or 9th and Skoronski goes 10-12, I think I'd probably be expecting 17 and 48.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Now that the season is over, the Steelers are officially locked into the 17th, 32nd, 48th and 80th picks in the first 3 rounds. I think they're probably going to need to trade up to get a LT with their 1st, I would be more confident if they were sitting around 13 but I don't think a good LT lasts until 17.

Based on the NFL draft pick trade charts, combining picks 17 and 80 should yield pick 13 and picks 17 and 48 should yield pick 8. I think doing either one of those is a no brainer, 17 and 80 is the more ideal solution IMO. Do that trade and take the best LT available at 13 is what I'd be trying to do in the 1st round.
I was telling my friend last night that if there was ever a draft to move up in, this would be the year. They have the perfect scenario in terms of picks to utilize in terms of moving up. Deal 17 and 80 and move up

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Needs: OC, OL, DL, WR, LB, DB

3 top 50 picks. 3rd rounder at pick 80.

Imo while DL and LB are weak, offseason priority should be about getting Pickett all the resources he needs. Have a real shot at a franchise QB here. Here’s to hoping they bulk up the line, add a WR and address Canada.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think DJ once again showed us without a doubt he can’t be counted on in the big games/moments.

They would absolutely be setting KP up for failure by viewing DJ as anything more than a fourth option in their passing offense moving fwd.

They need to look for another potential #1 with their first three picks.

He will have to be a guy that is a more polished route runner that can come in and push DJ to the sideline quickly.

Pickens, Muth, new WR, DJ.

If Q Johnson gets pushed down because of this QB class, and he’s there at 17, and the top two LT are gone, I’d be more than ok with them grabbing him.

Then leverage that 32nd pick to jump into 23+ to grab a LT like Broderick Jones.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
As info -

If we package 32 and 48 we can move up to pick 16

If we package 32 and 80 we can move up to pick 22

I personally think right now we need more picks v. higher picks.

As much as I love Jalen Carter, I do not want them to spend that much capital for one player.

They can still get a stud left tackle at 17, a starting CB at 32 and a damn good NT like Mazi Smith at 49. And I believe it would cost an extra pick next year just to move up into the top 4 to get him.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes #1.

I agree he could (should) go 1. He and Anderson are probably the only 2 guys worth trading up for. Both are going to be absolute wreckers on defense.

It's a pipe dream, but we have seen some really awesome players tumble just because they were victims of circumstance. I think WRs are going to be way over drafted because there are so few of them.

I don't think they will need to trade up. I think they will be able to land one of the big 3. Though I am glad the team made progression this year, this is the situation why I didn't mind them losing.

I also wouldn't mind the Steelers drafting a guy who can replace Edmunds. I've seen some mocks where Trenton Simpson was still around when we picked, and I'm not saying he's Troy, but he plays very similarly - more linebacker though than safety. Could be an outstanding guy to pay with Robinson.
Given the number of positions that could use reinforcements, part of me dislikes the idea of trading up. There's going to be someone who can really help the Steelers at 17 - either an OT, DT, or CB.

Given I expect to narrow those needs down in FA tho, yeah, I can see trading up being a need.

If that does happen for an OT then, given the number of mocks I've seen suggesting Paris Johnson goes 8th or 9th and Skoronski goes 10-12, I think I'd probably be expecting 17 and 48.

Agreed. And lets not forget, they can also trade back if they have guys they really like. Maybe they can add another 2nd or 3rd doing do?

We have to remember what happens with mock drafts - people love to say, "That guy won't be there, this guy won't be there," failing to realize they have read mock drafts and in their head they have 1st round grades on 52 guys in their heads. We are going to get an awesome football player at 33. We should be able to get a 1st round caliber CB at 48.

I think DJ once again showed us without a doubt he can’t be counted on in the big games/moments.

They would absolutely be setting KP up for failure by viewing DJ as anything more than a fourth option in their passing offense moving fwd.

He will have to be a guy that is a more polished route runner that can come in and push DJ to the sideline quickly.

If Q Johnson gets pushed down because of this QB class, and he’s there at 17, and the top two LT are gone, I’d be more than ok with them grabbing him.

Then leverage that 32nd pick to jump into 23+ to grab a LT like Broderick Jones.

DJ did everything yesterday that has made me sour on him. Catch a ball and run 5 yards backwards (check). Drop a ball that smacked him right in the hands (check). Fumble (check). Pickens continued to have amazing catches and show he's a number 1 WR (check).

Last edited:

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I still think this team needs to prioritize the cornerback position in the draft. Bringing back Sutton is a must, but they really need to try to find a legit number one guy. The secondary got torched anytime it went up against a good QB. Fortunately it seems like CB is one of the strengths of the draft.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Needs: OC, OL, DL, WR, LB, DB

3 top 50 picks. 3rd rounder at pick 80.

Imo while DL and LB are weak, offseason priority should be about getting Pickett all the resources he needs. Have a real shot at a franchise QB here. Here’s to hoping they bulk up the line, add a WR and address Canada.

In terms of reinforcing the defence, I might put CB ahead of LB and DL. Particularly if they lose Sutton. I think Leal taking on a more prominent role will be like an add for the DL and it'll be a good one. ILB is a need but it feels like a position where you can get help fairly cheap and where if the rest of the team is strong, you can mask liabilities.

It's pretty difficult to mask CB and I think our CBs showed that while they can play this season, there's no one there who can really take the lead against elite WRs. There's no internal player coming up to feel optimistic about like there is with Leal or even Robinson.

I agree with putting an emphasis on helping Pickett. But part of me really hopes they target a CB first. Feels like a good draft for doing so too, which isn't so true about getting Pickett offensive help.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was telling my friend last night that if there was ever a draft to move up in, this would be the year. They have the perfect scenario in terms of picks to utilize in terms of moving up. Deal 17 and 80 and move up

That could get them as high as 12, maybe. Based on value it would be pick 13, but the draft doesn’t operate in that bubble.

I assume they would be chasing Paris or Skoronski in that scenario.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
In terms of reinforcing the defence, I might put CB ahead of LB and DL. Particularly if they lose Sutton. I think Leal taking on a more prominent role will be like an add for the DL and it'll be a good one. ILB is a need but it feels like a position where you can get help fairly cheap and where if the rest of the team is strong, you can mask liabilities.

It's pretty difficult to mask CB and I think our CBs showed that while they can play this season, there's no one there who can really take the lead against elite WRs. There's no internal player coming up to feel optimistic about like there is with Leal or even Robinson.

I agree with putting an emphasis on helping Pickett. But part of me really hopes they target a CB first. Feels like a good draft for doing so too, which isn't so true about getting Pickett offensive help.

I think you’ve mentioned it a few times but a lot of the areas we’re talking about wanting them to target in the draft are going to be addressed via free agency.

Defensive line and linebacker are two areas that seem to have some nice options available in free agency.

Reactions: Peat

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Barring something combine/injury/etc. related, I don't think one of the OTs will be around at 17. Just a hunch.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

I'm really hoping we can nab Johnston Rd 1. If trading 32+80 to get back into the round and nab Jones then great. Hopefully then at #49 is a good CB or DL...

Either way I'd love to retool the passing offense. People need to wake up and see that DJ cannot be the main target. He needs to get pushed down the list and make room for the guys who make plays.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'm really hoping we can nab Johnston Rd 1. If trading 32+80 to get back into the round and nab Jones then great. Hopefully then at #49 is a good CB or DL...

Either way I'd love to retool the passing offense. People need to wake up and see that DJ cannot be the main target. He needs to get pushed down the list and make room for the guys who make plays.

I think Johnston will be gone at 17. I'd personally target Njigba unless his injury is really bad. He'd certainly be there at 17, and possible outside shot at 32 depending on how things shake out.

I don't really see value being available at "need" positions with our 1st. Might be interesting ...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I was a big DJ proponent when he was drafted and defended him his first couple yrs, I thought he could be their X and take Brown’s role.

However, I was wrong about the guy. No point in beating around the bush about the negative effect he has on KP and the offense.

He had three drops yesterday and that was actually a positive sadly, because it should have been two drops and a fumble.

AFC is basically an arms race with Cincy, Buf and KC. Add in Jax in the future if Lawrence takes another leap next season.

Sending KP into battle agt those guys with DJ as his top weapon would be like handing him a broken spitball gun.

Reactions: Flying Dego

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The fire Tomlin folks must be very sad with the outcome of the game.

We are because everyone is focused on outcome based results. Tomlin gets another non-losing season, yet there's a ton of inattention to detail that gets swept under the rug.

The enemy of the great is "good enough" and Tomlin has everyone showering him with praise. But really the same stuff that plagued this team during the Killer B's era and most of MT's career still persists.

But please, don't deep throat Mikey T too hard or you'll damage your tonsils.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Barring something combine/injury/etc. related, I don't think one of the OTs will be around at 17. Just a hunch.

There are four of them. I think at least one of them will be available. If not , then there will one hell of player available.

If they lose Sutton, unless they sign a legitimate replacement eg a Bradberry or Dean, they have to go CB because no way they can go into next season with Wallace and Witherspoon or Maulet or Pierre as the CBs.

I think Johnston will be gone at 17. I'd personally target Njigba unless his injury is really bad. He'd certainly be there at 17, and possible outside shot at 32 depending on how things shake out.

I don't really see value being available at "need" positions with our 1st. Might be interesting ...

What do you mean by value? This draft is very deep in CBs and that is a need and there will be a good one available at 17.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Just in general, I agree with JTG. Too often people look at mocks and think that one of 30 players won't be available when the Steelers choose 17th. There will be busts and mediocre players chosen above the Steelers. It's way more important to choose the right player than it is to choose a player ranked high on a mock draft board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad