OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just rewatch the clinic he put on a month ago against Carolina he was uncoverable. He is still the only Wr on the entire roster that can get open and run the entire route tree. GP is the deep ball contested catch guy they hoped Claypool would be.

That was the only game he really did anything and it was the closest he ever came to 100 yards.

You can’t be like “hey, he had that 1 good game out of 17… he didn’t break 100 or score a TD… but he converted some third downs when Steelers were up by 9 late in the fourth!”

That’s called being just a guy. He’s not some playmaker they can’t live without.

He’s about to be their first leading receiver without a TD catch since 1950.

Who is the last guy to lead his team in receptions and not have a single TD or 100 yard game?

Might be some kind of dubious record not seen in the modern era.

He’s just an avg receiver that spazzes out at the worst times. Pretending he’s more is kind of eye roll worthy.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
That was the only game he really did anything and it was the closest he ever came to 100 yards.

You can’t be like “hey, he had that 1 good game out of 17… he didn’t break 100 or score a TD… but he converted some third downs when Steelers were up by 9 late in the fourth!”

That’s called being just a guy. He’s not some playmaker they can’t live without.

He’s about to be their first leading receiver without a TD catch since 1950.

Who is the last guy to lead his team in receptions and not have a single TD or 100 yard game?

Might be some kind of dubious record not seen in the modern era.

He’s just an avg receiver that spazzes out at the worst times. Pretending he’s more is kind of eye roll worthy.

And he's barely our leading receiver by a few yds/gm.

He has zero TDs, less splash plays, shorter longest play, less YAC than our 2nd year TE. Pickens leads him in all but YAC. He's scored less points this year than Connor Heyward and Derek Watt, our all-nepotism H-Backs.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
You can’t blame the Wr group when they’re Qb group has thrown 5 tds to wr.
Ab was invisible when Ben wasn’t his Qb. DJ numbers outside of TDs are almost identical to 2020. Wr is the most important dependent position on the field

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Ab was invisible when Ben wasn’t his Qb. DJ numbers outside of TDs are almost identical to 2020. Wr is the most important dependent position on the field
He's paid as the 17th highest WR. He's certainly dropped more than his share and has not created any impact. Should poor play calling and sub par QB play limit a WR? Yes. Will it make them absolute trash? Not the true good ones.

I just don't see the need to defend the guy. He has earned his share of blame.

Reactions: SomeDude

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If a WR is making $18 million a year, he shouldn't need a Ben Rothelisberger caliber QB to have an impact. Hill had 177 yards on 12 catches and Waddle had 129 yards on 12 catches with Teddy Bridgewater as the QB for the Dolphins earlier in the year. That should be the expectation for Johnson, not "Pickett and Trubisky aren't good enough".

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
If a WR is making $18 million a year, he shouldn't need a Ben Rothelisberger caliber QB to have an impact. Hill had 177 yards on 12 catches and Waddle had 129 yards on 12 catches with Teddy Bridgewater as the QB for the Dolphins earlier in the year. That should be the expectation for Johnson, not "Pickett and Trubisky aren't good enough".
Or if he doesn't want to let DJ take any blame maybe take a look at the man calling the plays. Can't absolve all these guys for awful performances. Especially high paid ones.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Or if he doesn't want to let DJ take any blame maybe take a look at the man calling the plays. Can't absolve all these guys for awful performances. Especially high paid ones.

Yeah I find it a bit odd that the person excusing DJ also excuses Canada as well. Basically just puts the entire blame on Pickett, doesn't it?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
You can make the argument that the Steelers shouldn’t have paid him, but DJ isn’t overpaid given today’s market for receivers.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You can make the argument that the Steelers shouldn’t have paid him, but DJ isn’t overpaid given today’s market for receivers.

Cooper: $20 million a year, 1109 yards and 9 TDs
Godwin: $20 million a year, 968 yards and 3 TDs
Johnson: $18.35 million a year, 844 yards and 0 TD
Kirk: $18 million a year, 1009 yards and 7 TDs
Lockett: $17.25 million a year, 979 yards and 8 TDs
Evans: $16.5 million a year, 1124 yards and 6 TDs

Johnson was paid like a 1100 yard, #1 receiver. Comparably paid players this year are giving very similar results to what DJ had last year. But that's just the issue, Johnson is way less effective this year than last year. In terms of yards/game, Johnson is about 20 yards lower than he should be based on what he's paid.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Johnson was paid like a 1100 yard, #1 receiver. Comparably paid players this year are giving very similar results to what DJ had last year. But that's just the issue, Johnson is way less effective this year than last year. In terms of yards/game, Johnson is about 20 yards lower than he should be based on what he's paid.
Hes also on a bottom 10 passing yards per game team and a team thta has by far thrown the least amount of TDs (only 11 all season).

Is he a star, obviously not. But those numbers in this passing offense are reasonable for what he is supposed to be doing.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Hes also on a bottom 10 passing yards per game team and a team thta has by far thrown the least amount of TDs (only 11 all season).

Is he a star, obviously not. But those numbers in this passing offense are reasonable for what he is supposed to be doing.

Well stated.

I also think taking away a guy that KP has at least SOME rapport with could hurt his development.
Let DJ play another season or 2 and then jettison him. KP needs all the support in this anemic offense

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

And then you have guys like Allen Robinson, Kenny Golloday, Robert Woods and Hunter Renfrow making similar.

Several of those guys you listed were paid prior to this offseason when the receiver market was reset. So yeah DJ is getting paid more than some and comparable to others but that’s just how contracts work in a world where salary caps increase.

Then there’s the whole Matt Canada factor which shouldn’t be ignored.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

And then you have guys like Allen Robinson, Kenny Golloday, Robert Woods and Hunter Renfrow making similar.

Several of those guys you listed were paid prior to this offseason when the receiver market was reset. So yeah DJ is getting paid more than some and comparable to others but that’s just how contracts work in a world where salary caps increase.

Then there’s the whole Matt Canada factor which shouldn’t be ignored.

I don't think mentioning that there are a few comically overpaid WRs really helps your case here. If we're judging players based on how they should be performing, why are we looking at guys who are clearly underperforming their abilities.

Johnson is fairly paid if he's doing what he did in 2022. He's not doing that this year. He's paid about the same as Amari Cooper, who also has had to deal with QB issues this year, but Cooper is actually having a successful season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

This prompts the question -

Is this some one year anomaly brought on by a very conservative offence, bad scheme and calls, and a brand new QB

Or is this just Pickett is never going to connect that good with Johnson?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
He's paid as the 17th highest WR. He's certainly dropped more than his share and has not created any impact. Should poor play calling and sub par QB play limit a WR? Yes. Will it make them absolute trash? Not the true good ones.

I just don't see the need to defend the guy. He has earned his share of blame.
Where is he is the 17th highest paid wr? We are going by aav not actual cap hit? Yeah
I don't think mentioning that there are a few comically overpaid WRs really helps your case here. If we're judging players based on how they should be performing, why are we looking at guys who are clearly underperforming their abilities.

Johnson is fairly paid if he's doing what he did in 2022. He's not doing that this year. He's paid about the same as Amari Cooper, who also has had to deal with QB issues this year, but Cooper is actually having a successful season.
cooper is the only receiving option in Cleveland. Jacoby has 12 tds to 6 interceptions and more yards than KP

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Is this some one year anomaly brought on by a very conservative offence, bad scheme and calls, and a brand new QB

I think it's just this plus Johnson having a bad year.

I don't think he sucks or anything like that, I just don't think he's performing up to his contract this year.

cooper is the only receiving option in Cleveland. Jacoby has 12 tds to 6 interceptions and more yards than KP

Peoples-Jones has nearly the same amount of receiving yards as Johnson this year.

Reactions: Peat

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Johnson is fairly paid if he's doing what he did in 2022. He's not doing that this year. He's paid about the same as Amari Cooper, who also has had to deal with QB issues this year, but Cooper is actually having a successful sea

i think a few comically overpaid wr are just as relevant as cherrypicking players doing better, that are all in better situations to accumulate stats.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I don’t think the current QBs are unique in that they go up to DJ and ask him to drop passes and have shitty footwork on the sidelines.

He’s the one who dropped a couple TD this year and spazzes out like last game at the worst times.

JW managed to get 3 TD and a 100 yard game in 2019 as their leading receiver with Duck and MR.

Claypool caught a TD and he’s been gone since the halfway point.

Even guys like Watt managed to catch a TD.

This is on DJ, sorry.

I don’t feel it’s unfair to expect like a TD and a 100 yard game or two for 18m.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
DJ isn’t paid top of the market money for deals signed in 2022, straight up.

WR market is crazy which is why it’s completely sane to spend a lot of draft capital at the position. 2 stud WRs and a stud QB after rookie deals could legit cost you $100M soon.

I think that is fact.

Whether you think he’s worth 17-18M is up for debate but he is not paid to be an All-Pro by 2022 market rate.

Reactions: xlm34

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

This prompts the question for me that maybe DJ is part of the problem here, which people need to consider.

He had over 100 catches last year and barely broke 1100 yards.

He’s avg 10 YPC for his career.

That’s not an explosive receiver.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
DJ isn’t paid top of the market money for deals signed in 2022, straight up.

WR market is crazy which is why it’s completely sane to spend a lot of draft capital at the position. 2 stud WRs and a stud QB after rookie deals could legit cost you $100M soon.

I think that is fact.

Whether you think he’s worth 17-18M is up for debate but he is not paid to be an All-Pro by 2022 market rate.
Thats why you do what the chargers did Allen cap hit is 21 million and Mile Williams is 19 million but have Herbert on a rookie deal
Both Godwin and Evans have cap hits over 23 million next year.
Cincinnati is going to have to pay Burrow Chase and Higgins soon having the boyd 3/30 deal end helps when Higgins is up next off season

This prompts the question for me that maybe DJ is part of the problem here, which people need to consider.

He is currently working with the 24 rated Qb in passing ypa and last year he had the worst non rookie at Qb.

Reactions: OnMyOwn

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

Exactly. Our team needs more from a #1. He's a wannabe AB. He's too drop prone, doesn't catch contested balls, and isnt tall or fast. He runs a great cut on routes, thats where his above average skill ends.

I still want us to cut ties with him for a pick. And draft a high caliber WR. Just my two cents.

I also can't stand how injury prone he is.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Are the people who want to dump Johnson really proposing we go into next season with Pickens, Austin, some rando UFA WR, and a draft pick? Seriously? The question isn't whether Johnson is worth $18 Million in 2023 (and it's not like they'd save all of that cap space if they dump him anyway) - the question is whether they are better with him than the other options that exist for next season, and there's no way this team is better off without him no matter how many stat lines one wants to list of other WR.

Exactly. Our team needs more from a #1. He's a wannabe AB. He's too drop prone, doesn't catch contested balls, and isnt tall or fast. He runs a great cut on routes, thats where his above average skill ends.

I still want us to cut ties with him for a pick. And draft a high caliber WR. Just my two cents.

I also can't stand how injury prone he is.
How injury prone he is? He's missed 2 games in 2 seasons. By NFL standards that's Cal Ripken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad