OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
If you were asking me, no I am a Chargers fan

Just wondering why you wanted to puke at the notion. Steelers fans are rejoicing.

Even with clear long term needs at CB, ILB and DL i wouldnt care one bit if the used there first 4 pick on OL.

Obviously thats a bit ridiculous but its the one glaring position hurting this team weekly.

This is where reality and perception are not in the same plane. The OL has been fine, especially since the break. Do I think they can use an upgrade, sure. But saying it is hurting the team weekly is simply not true. DL and ILB have been hurting this team for years.

Unfortunately there will not be a DL or ILB worthy of a pick in the middle of the first round. Thus it's probably OT or CB in the first round. Then DL or CB with the first pick of the 2nd and then vice versa. I will put a caveat out there. The team desperately needs a 3rd WR, I could see them using one of the 2nd round picks on a guy they feel could be a difference maker and then getting a DL in the 3rd round. For example, if Jaxson Smith-Njigba falls to the 32nd pick, I could see them taking him. Or if Jaylin Hyatt falls to the 32nd pick (I don't see this happening if he does show he has 4.2x speed at the combine.)

So you want to go into next year with Gp and 2 unknown rookies plus simms and gunner types

Exactly. Trading DJ is not a smart decision unless they already have another receiver on the team that can contribute. Going into next season with Pickens, a 2nd round rookie and a bunch of crap is not setting Pickett up for any kind of success.

DJ next year isn't making a difference in where we end up. And he's gone after that. Might as well draft his replacement ASAP.
Or, you lose him in a year for nothing. Might as well gamble on our record to draft decent/good WRs.

And, DJ isn't really that great at all. He's a drop machine that is invisible a lot of the time.

He can be a difference maker with a good OC. He is one of the best receivers in the league at creating separation. He does have issues with dropped passes. Thinking a 2nd round pick next season will be anywhere close to the production of DJ plus adding in the 11.6mil cap hit and it is not a good deal. Plus he is not gone after next year, his contract is thru 2024.

Reactions: Peat and xlm34

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
It would be a one year hit, and we'd still save something like $5M on the cap if we trade him prior to draft. I think.

Gotcha. NFL contracts always throw me for a loop.

I’m probably higher on DJ than a lot of people on here, so the only way I’d trade him is if they used him as an asset to make a move for Addison or the TCU WR. Even then it’s a bit of a risk.

I’m not really all that comfortable going into a next year with a WR group of Pickens/Austin/Round two pick that probably won’t be as good as DJ. Especially when Pickett’s development should still be the number one goal.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Or, you lose him in a year for nothing. Might as well gamble on our record to draft decent/good WRs.

And, DJ isn't really that great at all. He's a drop machine that is invisible a lot of the time.
So what, theyre not tanking next year. Theyre trying to win. Theyre not going to make themself worse on purpose to make you feel better.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
So what, theyre not tanking next year. Theyre trying to win. Theyre not going to make themself worse on purpose to make you feel better.

They're the Steelers, of course they're not going to tank it. But they're not contending either. We're clearly behind both the Bengals and the Ravens in the division. With all the holes we have now (and going forward with aging/injured starters), managing assets for a change might be a good idea.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
They're the Steelers, of course they're not going to tank it. But they're not contending either. We're clearly behind both the Bengals and the Ravens in the division. With all the holes we have now (and going forward with aging/injured starters), managing assets for a change might be a good idea.
Oy

Whether you think theyre “contending” is wholly irrelevant.

Their goal is to win. DJ helps you win more than the average 2nd rd pick.

If they get bowled over with an offer im sure they would consider it. But f’ing asset mgmt? Seriously?

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Bengals I would agree with but they are not clearly below the Ravens.

The asset that is most important for them to manage is Kenny Pickett and placing him with Pickens and bunch of ???? and known junk is not a smart decision.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Except what they say is untrue. If the Steelers trade DJ this season before the draft the Steelers will incur a 11.6mil cap hit for 2023 and a 5.6mil cap hit for 2024.

If the idea is to replace him with a second round receiver, it just doesn’t seem worth it to trade him at all. You’re downgrading the WR position for not much savings. And it’s not like this team is going to be hurting for cap space.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
If the idea is to replace him with a second round receiver, it just doesn’t seem worth it to trade him at all. You’re downgrading the WR position for not much savings. And it’s not like this team is going to be hurting for cap space.

In the current standings, I'd rather get the extra pick(s) and use our first on a WR. Use the rest on OL/CB/etc.

We're slipping out of range in the 1st where we'd get value at the other spots. But we're right in the Addison or Smith-Njigba range. Better to get them than reach on a project OT or CB.

Reactions: xlm34

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
How are we behind bmore. They have to pay Lamar next year with cap space of 46 million once they Franchise tag Lamar that is gone. They only have 41 players signed

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
In the current standings, I'd rather get the extra pick(s) and use our first on a WR. Use the rest on OL/CB/etc.

We're slipping out of range in the 1st where we'd get value at the other spots. But we're right in the Addison or Smith-Njigba range. Better to get them than reach on a project OT or CB.

Addison and Smith-Njigba are just as big of questions marks as the 1st rd OTs or 1st rd CBs in this draft.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Addison and Smith-Njigba are just as big of questions marks as the 1st rd OTs or 1st rd CBs in this draft.

Well we won't have either of Skoronski or Ringo available when we're on the clock, and the rest of those available I think would definitely be below Addison and Smith-Njigba in terms of which would be more of a sure thing.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Well we won't have either of Skoronski or Ringo available when we're on the clock, and the rest of those available I think would definitely be below Addison and Smith-Njigba in terms of which would be more of a sure thing.
Theres talk ringo played is way out of the top 20. There 3 LT in the 1st round mocks right now 4 CBs right now in most top 20 mocks.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Theres talk ringo played is way out of the top 20. There 3 LT in the 1st round mocks right now 4 CBs right now in most top 20 mocks.

The latest mocks I've seen have all the reasonable OTs (Skoronski and the 2 from tOSU) gone before our pick at 15 anyway. The others on the board would be reaches. With that the only reasonable available picks left are Porter Jr or the CB from Oregon. They're not BPA over Addison/Smith-Njigba.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the Steelers would trade up to get a LT if they're sitting at 15th overall. They have essentially a late 1st from the Claypool trade, so they can afford to use a 3rd rounder to move up from 15 to 11. Most mock drafts I see have the LTs starting to go around that pick.

If they want to make sure they get Skoronski, they'll probably have to trade up to around 8th overall. But just trading up to 11th likely guarantees they'll get one of the top LTs in the draft.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Even with clear long term needs at CB, ILB and DL i wouldnt care one bit if the used there first 4 pick on OL.

Obviously thats a bit ridiculous but its the one glaring position hurting this team weekly.

According to Gerry Dulac, they expect Robinson to start next season and he doesn’t anticipate them taking ILB in first two rounds.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Bengals I would agree with but they are not clearly below the Ravens.

The asset that is most important for them to manage is Kenny Pickett and placing him with Pickens and bunch of ???? and known junk is not a smart decision.

This. What's best for the Steelers right now is what's best for Pickett. Having Pickett work with and throw to a WR with actual NFL experience and quality seems like an absolute gimme.

I think people are being too low on Johnson in general. Nobody on offence has looked as good as they can and everyone can point at why. I think there's a solid chance he posts something like last season's stats next season.

But really, that's besides the point. Pickett needs people to throw to and the way things are, I don't see a better option for the money than getting Johnson and building on what they have.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Losing DJ would matter as much as losing Jeff Graham did. He’s just a body that comes up small when it matters-almost comically so, like he‘s doing it on purpose (I know he isn’t relax).

Steelers won’t eat that contract though, unfortunately.

A lot of people are forgetting about Austin III. I expect him to be in the mix next year, but I suspect they look for DJs replacement in the second-third round.

If Addison slips to the Bears pick, I’m fairly certain he will be a Steeler.

Reactions: Pens1566

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This. What's best for the Steelers right now is what's best for Pickett. Having Pickett work with and throw to a WR with actual NFL experience and quality seems like an absolute gimme.

I think people are being too low on Johnson in general. Nobody on offence has looked as good as they can and everyone can point at why. I think there's a solid chance he posts something like last season's stats next season.

But really, that's besides the point. Pickett needs people to throw to and the way things are, I don't see a better option for the money than getting Johnson and building on what they have.

I think his point was pretty obvious though, DJ will likely be gone after next season.

Unless he has some crazy year, I can’t imagine them keeping him around

I get he will be back because they are stuck paying him, but when is the last time he made a clutch play?

I can’t pretend I feel like he’s some key component to them getting better next season when he’s always been a spaz, and it’s gotten even worse this season.

Reactions: Pens1566

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
According to Gerry Dulac, they expect Robinson to start next season and he doesn’t anticipate them taking ILB in first two rounds.
Interesting.

He certainly held his own last game.

Would like to see him in coverage before i get comfortable with it

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I think his point was pretty obvious though, DJ will likely be gone after next season.

Unless he has some crazy year, I can’t imagine them keeping him around

I get he will be back because they are stuck paying him, but when is the last time he made a clutch play?

I can’t pretend I feel like he’s some key component to them getting better next season when he’s always been a spaz, and it’s gotten even worse this season.
Just rewatch the clinic he put on a month ago against Carolina he was uncoverable. He is still the only Wr on the entire roster that can get open and run the entire route tree. GP is the deep ball contested catch guy they hoped Claypool would be.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Interesting.

He’s pretty raw apparently - think he used to be a RB up until a couple yrs ago.

He’s getting all of Bush’a snaps now, so the writing is on the wall.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Interesting.

Yeah i am exactly excited for him getting matched up against Cooper on Sunday in the slot. We all love watching teams isolate Spillane in coverage
Interesting.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
For those who are worried about cap savings look at William jackson MT and Jack thats over 20 million saved. No way Jackson gets 12 million MT gets 10 million and Jack is back at 11 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad